Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1

Read 572285 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4094: Sep 30, 2017 11:12:48 am
      Another pole, that will do nicely  ;D Providing Vettel get his motor sorted i still think he will finish in the top 6/7
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4095: Sep 30, 2017 07:39:36 pm
      Sounds like Hamilton took off the unworkable aero updates from yesterday with Bottas keeping them on hence the gap between the two. Regardless, an excellent effort sill by Hamilton to get pole. It will be interesting to see the race pace of Kimi tomorrow though and it promises to be a fascinating race start. I'm sure Vettel can make up a chunk of places and score a good points finish even in a fully dry race - a lot of work though to turn this around as it stands.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4096: Oct 01, 2017 10:59:10 am
      Well it looked like damage limitation today for Hammy as he certainly didn't have the race pace so 2nd was a great score for him. Vettel ( hate to admit it  ;D ) road a stunning race. Verstappen was in his element and fully deserved his race victory.

Did you notice the alarming amount of water/ sugar drinks he needed after the race though? Every time he was on camera he was downing bucket loads. That race took plenty out of him as he also incurred neck problems. I know this is one of the toughest circuits but still a concern.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4097: Oct 01, 2017 11:43:39 am
      Well it looked like damage limitation today for Hammy as he certainly didn't have the race pace so 2nd was a great score for him. Vettel ( hate to admit it  ;D ) road a stunning race. Verstappen was in his element and fully deserved his race victory.

Did you notice the alarming amount of water/ sugar drinks he needed after the race though? Every time he was on camera he was downing bucket loads. That race took plenty out of him as he also incurred neck problems. I know this is one of the toughest circuits but still a concern.

Looking at Bottas it seems Hamilton outperformed that car to a degree. No doubt if Ferrari didn't have the issues this weekend that he'd probably have finished outside the podium places. To have come out of this race with an extended lead in the championship on a weekend when Vettel and Ferrari were almost a second faster (Seb was supreme in that race) than the Mercs is monumental in it's fortune but also Hamilton's ability to make the most of the deficiencies they had this weekend.

And yeah - what about those drinks disappearing rapidly?! Apparently they lose 3kg in weight through water loss duong this race.

Even the commentators were noticing Max's wilting head towards the end of the race. This is when they earn their money. 3-4 layers of fireproof clothing, sitting in a cockpit pulsing with heat and energy of plus 40 degrees, pulling multiple g forces, in hot, humid sticky Malaysia is worth the multiple million pound contract these drivers earn! :D

I think it was Alonso (or was it Trulli? Sure it was a Renault driver) years ago during Schumacher's era not making the podium because he had to be carted off to the hospital and put on a drip such was his dehydration! Probably one of the most physically demanding challenges in sport. That so many finished the race and raced relatively cleanly is testament to ther ability.

Edit: Vettel's gearbox could be bust after that bizarre crash with Stroll on the slowing down lap. Could mean a 5 place grid penalty next week at Suzuka.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2017 11:59:39 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4098: Oct 01, 2017 12:23:40 pm

I think it was Alonso (or was it Trulli? Sure it was a Renault driver) years ago during Schumacher's era not making the podium because he had to be carted off to the hospital and put on a drip such was his dehydration! Probably one of the most physically demanding challenges in sport. That so many finished the race and raced relatively cleanly is testament to ther ability.

Edit: Vettel's gearbox could be bust after that bizarre crash with Stroll on the slowing down lap. Could mean a 5 place grid penalty next week at Suzuka.

Re Alonso/Trulli i cant remember mate. Fingers crossed a new gearbox  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4099: Oct 02, 2017 08:34:13 am
      Listening to Hammys comments after the race has left me really concerned for the remainder of the year and more importantly next! He states with the new changes with Ferrari & Red Bull Mercedes are currently miles behind.  :f_wah:

Frankly/ Racer, have you guys any idea what the problem is?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4100: Oct 02, 2017 08:38:35 am
      Listening to Hammys comments after the race has left me really concerned for the remainder of the year and more importantly next! He states with the new changes with Ferrari & Red Bull Mercedes are currently miles behind.  :f_wah:

Race pace, Merc have been caught up by Ferrari & Redbull but I think Merc have an ace up their sleeves with future upgrades...

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4101: Oct 02, 2017 12:52:35 pm
      Race pace, Merc have been caught up by Ferrari & Redbull but I think Merc have an ace up their sleeves with future upgrades...

Please god your right Shabs
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4102: Oct 05, 2017 07:06:59 pm

Something I've thought about quite a lot recently. Since Hungary it's fair to say that Mercedes have only really been outright the fastest car in Italy. From what I recall even in Belgium, when Lewis beat Seb in a straight fight, the Ferrari was arguably the fastest on race day. And yet in that space of time Lewis has opened up a very handy lead in the championship - that says quite a lot about Lewis!

As for Malaysia - there were far more legitimate questions to be asked given the high expectations set for them on that circuit. Mercedes screwed up a bit on the Friday of the Malaysian GP with a set of aero updates that didn't work. That pretty much lost them the whole of Friday. On top of that it's been said that the Mercs struggle to make their tyres work in hot conditions and given Malaysia's extreme conditions that might also have been a reason.

Mercedes and Hamilton are probably playing up their problems a bit in order to not allow complacency to seep in and are right to do so. That said it is remarkable just how diva like the Merc car is! When all things are right it's peak is higher than the rest by far (as shown by the performances at Silverstone and Italy) but it's capable of putting some stinkers in as shown in Malaysia and Bottas's struggles. The Ferrari by comparison seems a more consistent car across all circuits.

What Lewis has to do is just keep scoring good podiums. Time to start playing the percentages. Thanks to the maximum engine mode, the car is still an absolute beast over one lap so that'll surely help in giving grid position at the start. Aside from that take a leaf out of Nico's book from last year when he stayed out of trouble and only had to finish second to Lewis in the last few races of the season...and did with ease.

Edit: credit to Bottas for pursuing with the faulty aero updates in Malaysia. The extra data brought in with him running themcould only have helped the team in getting to understand them a bit better. Great team work by Valtarri.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017 07:27:27 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4103: Oct 08, 2017 07:35:03 am
      Happy Hammy Days  :clap: :champ:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4104: Oct 08, 2017 08:59:22 am
      What a HUGE result and what a drastic turnaround in the championship in just three races. Part self inflicted by Vettel and Ferrari (which is a shame because loads wanted to see it neck and neck) but it also says something about Lewis's immense maturity and relentlessness that he is able to capitalise on it. And it's the least he deserves because he's driving better than he's ever done. If he can win this title he'll enter a realm only Senna and Schumacher have occupied in the last 30 years. This would be his greatest title win (Seb vice versa) if he does make it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2017 09:03:37 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4105: Oct 08, 2017 10:17:26 am
      Fat lady not singing just yet but feeling good.  ;D Won't be long before Verstappen joins him as world champion at some stage. For me he's the next Hamilton.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4106: Oct 08, 2017 11:58:41 am
      Fat lady not singing just yet but feeling good.  ;D Won't be long before Verstappen joins him as world champion at some stage. For me he's the next Hamilton.

He has that ominous quality about him that Schumacher and Alonso had in that the established really fear his talent. I've never believed this about any other driver but I really believe he can be as good as Schumacher which is a scary thought!

Lots of rumours at the moment that he could end up at Mercedes in 2019.
      « Last Edit: Oct 08, 2017 12:03:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4107: Oct 08, 2017 12:26:47 pm
      He has that ominous quality about him that Schumacher and Alonso had in that the established really fear his talent. I've never believed this about any other driver but I really believe he can be as good as Schumacher which is a scary thought!

Lots of rumours at the moment that he could end up at Mercedes in 2019.

Wouldn't surprise me as he's the future of the current crop that are coming through. He can command the best car the way he's performing on the circuit.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4108: Oct 12, 2017 02:13:27 pm
      Kubica to Williams could actually happen it seems.

https://twitter.com/Rowlinson_F1/status/918458148930883584
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4109: Oct 14, 2017 03:18:13 pm
      MASSIVE congratulations to Lando Norris who has won the European F3 Championship at his first attempt. He is a big big talent this one. Quite fancy putting a tenner on him becoming future F1 world champion.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/glastonburys-lando-norris-wins-european-626994
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4110: Oct 21, 2017 10:15:34 pm
      Watching qualifying. Little justifies Magnussen's place in the sport. Not particularly quick, irresponsible, clumsy and just bad mannered on the track as seen in that incident with Perez.

Grosjean his team mate ain't much better but he does have speed.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4111: Oct 21, 2017 10:23:17 pm
      Watching qualifying. Little justifies Magnussen's place in the sport. Not particularly quick, irresponsible, clumsy and just bad mannered on the track as seen in that incident with Perez.

Grosjean his team mate ain't much better but he does have speed.

He's a liability.

What about Carlos P5 in Q1.

Great stuff and it'll be interesting between him and Hulk next season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4112: Oct 21, 2017 10:30:01 pm
      One rule I'd get rid of in F1 is the must use the Q2 tire to start the race rule.

Just let them qualify as fast as possible and then pick what tire they want.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4113: Oct 21, 2017 10:38:28 pm
      One rule I'd get rid of in F1 is the must use the Q2 tire to start the race rule.

Just let them qualify as fast as possible and then pick what tire they want.

Strange one in a sport full of strange rules!

Yeah - if Carlos can get this into Q3 it will be fantastic. Been a massive fan of his since he was announced into the sport and it's nice to see him in a works team now. Hopefully Renault can provide some competitive equipment from next year. You'd fully expect them to.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4114: Oct 21, 2017 10:40:39 pm
      Strange one in a sport full of strange rules!

Yeah - if Carlos can get this into Q3 it will be fantastic. Been a massive fan of his since he was announced into the sport and it's nice to see him in a works team now. Hopefully Renault can provide some competitive equipment from next year. You'd fully expect them to.

I love F1 mate just like yourself but I really would like to see them get rid of these stupid complicated rules that don't serve much purpose.

Love Carlos as well and if Renault can develop well over the winter they have a great pair of drivers to make the most of it.
      « Last Edit: Oct 21, 2017 10:45:03 pm by srslfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4115: Oct 21, 2017 10:43:59 pm
      I love F1 mate just like yourself but I really would like to see them get rid of these stupid complicated rules that don't serve much purpose.

Love Carlos as well and of Renault can develop well over the winter they have a great pair of drivers to make the most of it.

Absolute banzai of a lap from Carlos just then. Good effort as ever by Fernando as well. Got to say it's been quite impressive how McLaren look half decent As of late. Not a hope in hell they would have got out of Q3 if this race was at the start of the year and will probably still struggle to get points which underlines just how far back they've come from. Too little too late for Honda sadly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4116: Oct 21, 2017 10:46:03 pm
      Absolute banzai of a lap from Carlos just then. Good effort as ever by Fernando as well. Got to say it's been quite impressive how McLaren look half decent As of late. Not a hope in hell they would have got out of Q3 if this race was at the start of the year and will probably still struggle to get points. Too little too late for Honda sadly.

Alonso wringing the maximum from that car again judging by the radio.

Great stuff.

Looking like Ferrari are going to need Lewis to retire the car to have any chance of a win this weekend.

Quick Reply