Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572119 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4163: Oct 31, 2017 03:54:31 pm
      Agree with 7KK7 - it will just fizzle out for Fernando. Can't ever see him winning title number 3 for the reasons you state Keith.

That season in 2007 you mention Keith left a very sour taste in my mouth with regards to Alonso as well. I remember the pit blocking incident was in reaction to Lewis not following team orders and giving way to Alonso as instructed on the track but regardless, his 'payback' was so disproportionate and petulant which rightly saw him moved to the back of the grid. Can't remember a more dramatic fall out - it was after that incident wasn't it that Alonso blackmailed Ron Dennis threatening him that he was going to go to the FIA with the Ferrari 'Spygate' details unless they held back Hamilton's challenge and made him number 1. And then came the massive fine and the complete wipe out of McLaren's constructors points!

That Alonso decided to wage war and flee back to an uncompetitive Renault didn't say much about his temperament and attitude. Even if he lost out to Lewis that year he could easily have got his head down and beaten all before him in 2008. That his manager throughout his career has been Flavio Briatore probably says a lot for his actions. But being involved in another scandal with the 'Crashgate' incident in Singapore 2008 only damaged his reputation more I believe. I think he's an absolute master - a pure racer who is the complete driver. But he's squandered a lot of that talent at the expense of waging unnecessary battles with team personnel throughout. He's more than good enough to beat the guys at the front of the grid and his name alone probably carries millions more in sponsorship than anyone bar Hamilton. But the fact that neither Mercedes or Red Bull want him as well as Ferrari refusing to have him back speaks volumes. Such a shame. I still cheer him on because I think he's absolutely exceptional - there are some drivers like Senna and Schumacher who had their flaws but you could see through them because of their brilliance. Fernando's generation is the first I've been old enough to follow from the beginning so as time has gone by there's a sentimental attachment to the likes of him and similarly Kimi that has only seen my support of them rise throughout the years. There's nothing more I'd love to see than Fernando winning the title again even if it's unlikely to happen again!

You remember the incedent very well Frankly.  ;D I know it was only around 10 seconds but felt like 10 mins. Heaven knows what was going through Hammys mind at the time.  :-\
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4164: Oct 31, 2017 04:06:20 pm
      Dead right Keith. Amazing generation of drivers we're entering.

As for the British side of things - I think we might be well catered for in the presence of a certain Lando Norris. Aged 17, he won the Euro F3 Championship in his rookie year - a feat not even Lewis achieved (he won it on his second attempt :D ). He's expected to move up to F2 or go to Japan next year but we could see him in two-three years if all things work out well. Such an immense young talent. As well as that newly crowned F2 champion Charles Leclerc is highly fancied in the Ferrari ranks so there's him to look forward to as well.

Verstappen, Sainz Jnr, Ocon, Stroll and possibly the likes of Norris and Leclerc - the future is exciting!

I worship Hammy as you can probably tell Frankly  ;D Obviously you'll always get fans who won't like him for what ever reason. If Norris doesn't make the grade ( hopefully he does ) then I'll follow Verstappen as he has so many similarities as Hammy at the same age.

Do you think Norris has got what it takes to be F1 champion or too early to say at this stage?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4165: Oct 31, 2017 04:35:38 pm
      I worship Hammy as you can probably tell Frankly  ;D Obviously you'll always get fans who won't like him for what ever reason. If Norris doesn't make the grade ( hopefully he does ) then I'll follow Verstappen as he has so many similarities as Hammy at the same age.

Do you think Norris has got what it takes to be F1 champion or too early to say at this stage?

Yeah - I do think Norris can be a future world champion. I know he's only 17 but he's had an incredible couple of years. The FIA have all the 2017 Euro F3 races streamed on their youtube channel and the evidence is there to see that most of his performances have been nothing short of outstanding. He was a class apart.

If he was in Red Bull's ranks we'd see him in Toro Rosso next year or even in 2019. But seeing as he's on McLaren's books the path to f1 might not be as seamless if he were a Red Bull driver. Make no mistake though - he is the brightest young British racing talent since Hamilton over a decade ago.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4166: Nov 02, 2017 07:16:40 pm
      Most dramatic ending to a sporting event I've ever seen. Incredible. 9 years ago today.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/926000369439617024
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #4167: Nov 03, 2017 01:07:58 am
      Most dramatic ending to a sporting event I've ever seen. Incredible. 9 years ago today.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/926000369439617024

Remember watching that at the time. Unbelievable, start of a legacy that day was!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4168: Nov 03, 2017 01:33:59 am
      Remember watching that at the time. Unbelievable, start of a legacy that day was!

I desperately wanted Lewis to win it that year. From what I recall it was such an arse clenching race to watch because right until when the rain came Lewis was doing enough - just. Given the tension the whole race you just knew there was going to be something of a crescendo and indeed it was!

For all the heroics of Massa during that race (and he was sublime that evening), I have no doubt that in the end the right man won the championship.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4169: Nov 24, 2017 01:58:31 pm
      F1 going through a rebranding phase before next season...including a new logo. Apparently they registered these designs to the EU last week. Don't quite see the purpose in replacing one of the most recognisable logos in sport (they want the feeder series to have similar branding)...especially if it's going to be one of these.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4170: Nov 24, 2017 04:07:07 pm
      F1 going through a rebranding phase before next season...including a new logo. Apparently they registered these designs to the EU last week. Don't quite see the purpose in replacing one of the most recognisable logos in sport (they want the feeder series to have similar branding)...especially if it's going to be one of these.

Why oh why would they F**k about with the current logo...FFS...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4171: Nov 24, 2017 04:58:34 pm
      Why oh why would they f**k about with the current logo...FFS...

I don't know why. It's one of the most recognisable logos in the world that's simple but clever (stupidly it took me a while after beginning to watch f1 the negative white space between the black f and the red 1 made out a clearly outlined 1!) It's a great logo.

Thought these Americans were savvy and knew about 'brand recognition'!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4172: Nov 24, 2017 05:20:10 pm
      I don't know why. It's one of the most recognisable logos in the world that's simple but clever (stupidly it took me a while after beginning to watch f1 the negative white space between the black f and the red 1 made out a clearly outlined 1!) It's a great logo.

Thought these Americans were savvy and knew about 'brand recognition'!

Totally agree this shouldn't be changed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4173: Nov 24, 2017 07:06:49 pm
      Totally agree this shouldn't be changed.

The only reason they have is that they want 'Brand consistency' with the lower formulas like F2. A pretty weak explanation for such a move.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4174: Nov 26, 2017 02:51:06 pm
      Very dull race to finish off the 2017 season. Bottas supreme though - race win, fastest lap and pole position. Perfect. Very happy for Hulk taking 6th and ensuring a few dollars more for the Renault outfit after overtaking Toro Rosso in the standing - I'd love to hear the Toro Rosso management's perspective after both teams coming to blows over the reliability of the Renault engines.

Not a good look when the drivers are having a conversation about how crap the circuit just before coming out on the podium there. Awful circuit - a soulless, plastic dust bowl with absolutely no character or challenge about. The biggest blemish on the f1 calendar in my opinion.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4176: Nov 29, 2017 10:52:13 pm

I heard rumours that they would effectively become Ferrari's junior team and be rebranded Alfa Romeo. Interesting period but I find it hard to swallow that smaller teams can only exist today if they are subordinate to a bigger one. Decent mock up livery that though.

What about Robert Kubica? Do you think he'll get the seat at Williams? Bit unsure whether it will work out if he does to be honest.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4177: Nov 29, 2017 11:33:00 pm
      I heard rumours that they would effectively become Ferrari's junior team and be rebranded Alfa Romeo. Interesting period but I find it hard to swallow that smaller teams can only exist today if they are subordinate to a bigger one. Decent mock up livery that though.

What about Robert Kubica? Do you think he'll get the seat at Williams? Bit unsure whether it will work out if he does to be honest.

tbh I'm only posting it because I did the mock up.

Glad to see Kubica do well, but I'm conflicted on him getting the Williams seat if the implications are Pascal is out of F1.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4178: Nov 29, 2017 11:49:19 pm
      tbh I'm only posting it because I did the mock up.

Glad to see Kubica do well, but I'm conflicted on him getting the Williams seat if the implications are Pascal is out of F1.

Ah! It was you who did it! Good effort!

It's a shame about Wehrlein. It must be a good load of swag Ericsson has to continue having a career in f1.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4179: Nov 29, 2017 11:50:07 pm
      Ah! It was you who did it! Good effort!

It's a shame about Wehrlein. It must be a good load of swag Ericsson has to continue having a career in f1.

Kept the team in F1.
      Pay drivers are king when there is financial disparity.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4180: Nov 29, 2017 11:51:27 pm
      Kept the team in F1.
      Pay drivers are king when there is financial disparity.

It's a sad truth unfortunately.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4181: Nov 29, 2017 11:54:41 pm

Look at Stroll. Money invested in Williams only for them to have a driver who only showed up in the wet and at Monza.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4182: Nov 30, 2017 01:13:04 am
      Look at Stroll. Money invested in Williams only for them to have a driver who only showed up in the wet and at Monza.

Yeah - he's a year or two early for f1. But I have faith he will come good. I think there's a very good driver in there albeit one we've only seen flashes of like in Italy and Baku (a mad race but he did well to stay out of trouble). That said I am a bit worried for Williams. To be left between with very little choice and edging towards one who hasn't driven in the sport for ages after nearly being killed (albeit a top top class driver) is not a good situation to find yourselves in. They really have their work cut out. Will be interested to see what sort of car they produce next year, the first under Paddy Lowe's leadership.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4183: Dec 01, 2017 10:32:02 am
      Yeah - he's a year or two early for f1. But I have faith he will come good. I think there's a very good driver in there albeit one we've only seen flashes of like in Italy and Baku (a mad race but he did well to stay out of trouble). That said I am a bit worried for Williams. To be left between with very little choice and edging towards one who hasn't driven in the sport for ages after nearly being killed (albeit a top top class driver) is not a good situation to find yourselves in. They really have their work cut out. Will be interested to see what sort of car they produce next year, the first under Paddy Lowe's leadership.

No doubt the car will be competitive.
      My only worry is that the obvious answer to their problem is Pascal and he doesn't seem to be under consideration. Massa a team player and it all seems to be about keeping Stroll comfortable, so I can't see them bringing in Pascal if that's the case, unfortunately.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4184: Jan 15, 2018 03:11:59 pm
      https://twitter.com/IMS/status/952711804228112385

One of those iconic names from a golden era of motorsport. Lived the dream, hero of many. Rest in peace Dan Gurney.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4185: Jan 31, 2018 11:25:33 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42874334

Alonso to race in Le Mans in 2018 and 2019 and compete in the WEC. Absolutely love what he's doing at the moment in spreading his wings across motorsport - just like the legends in past eras. He realises his stature in f1 is big enough to take control of his own affairs without the pressure of the big money men who pay his wages and all that advertising income saying 'no'. One big fault of f1 in recent decades has been the lack of movement of drivers between different categories of motorsport. Of course I'm sure it's not just f1's fault - I can only guess motorsport in general has become less fluid and open across the categories as the years have ticked by but Alonso's on a one man mission to dismantle those strictures.

I also feel that for many veteran motorsport fans hailing a 'great f1 driver' isn't really enough. They want to hail great racing drivers like in days gone by. I really think Alonso is holding a beacon up to that great ambition and in doing so is bringing back a bit of the glamour and tradition that poured out of f1 during it's golden era. Memo to the rest of the drivers - be more like Alonso!

Quick Reply