Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572220 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4232: Mar 22, 2018 11:01:19 pm
      Not long to go until the cars roll out of the garage in Melbourne and the rubber is laid down for the first installment of the 2018 Formula One season! I personally can't look beyond Hamilton and a 5th world title and another constructors championship stroll for Mercedes. I wonder if this season could be for Lewis and Mercedes as to what 2004 was for Michael and Ferrari which doesn't spell good news for on track entertainment and the desires to see someone other than Mercedes on the top of the podium!

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2018 11:07:46 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4233: Mar 22, 2018 11:06:01 pm
      Can't wait Frankly. Have a sneaky feeling ( in my blood ) red bull will be main rivals to Hammy.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4234: Mar 22, 2018 11:10:40 pm
      Can't wait Frankly. Have a sneaky feeling ( in my blood ) red bull will be main rivals to Hammy.

Me too Keith. I think Verstappen will supplant Vettel as the main challenger. Given how strongly Red Bull develop the car over a season you feel if they can get close to Hamilton in the early part of the season then it could be one hell of a fight at the end. That said, you can never fully trust that Renault engine can you?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4235: Mar 22, 2018 11:22:36 pm
      Me too Keith. I think Verstappen will supplant Vettel as the main challenger. Given how strongly Red Bull develop the car over a season you feel if they can get close to Hamilton in the early part of the season then it could be one hell of a fight at the end. That said, you can never fully trust that Renault engine can you?

Based on last seasons performances no. The under lining problem for me is Verstappen is just so dam good. He's defo a Hammy in disguise. With a car that's just has 15/20% more reliability he's going to be there or there abouts.

Luckily I like Verstappen anyway, wish he was British as that would of been a big bonus. Still, if Hammy is to get beat this year then it wouldn't be all that bad losing to Verstappen.

Will be very interesting how the new owners change things around as the season goes on. I've never been a lover of change ( old school ) but obviously need to adapt.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4236: Mar 22, 2018 11:30:17 pm
      Based on last seasons performances no. The under lining problem for me is Verstappen is just so dam good. He's defo a Hammy in disguise. With a car that's just has 15/20% more reliability he's going to be there or there abouts.

Luckily I like Verstappen anyway, wish he was British as that would of been a big bonus. Still, if Hammy is to get beat this year then it wouldn't be all that bad losing to Verstappen.

Will be very interesting how the new owners change things around as the season goes on. I've never been a lover of change ( old school ) but obviously need to adapt.

Agree with that Keith. Verstappen must be the most extraordinary talent to have emerged in f1 in a generation and that's saying something given how the likes of Fernando, Lewis and Vettel upset the apple cart in the past decade and a bit. Season of change it could be and even drama off the track looks set to define this season. There seems to be big battles on the horizon - Ferrari threatening to quit in light of proposed technical changes from 2021 and even whispers of a breakaway championship are too big to ignore. The politics could get ugly and the ironic thing is that it is the masters of Ferrari from 15 years ago, Todt and Brawn, who seem to be sharpening their swords in anticipation of a big battle with the Scuderia! I'm tempted to say it's time to call Ferrari's bluff but would you risk F1 without Ferrari? Brawn has a difficult job in trying to force through cheaper, simpler (and noisier) engines without upsetting the big guns.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4237: Mar 22, 2018 11:33:26 pm
      Not long to go until the cars roll out of the garage in Melbourne and the rubber is laid down for the first installment of the 2018 Formula One season! I personally can't look beyond Hamilton and a 5th world title and another constructors championship stroll for Mercedes. I wonder if this season could be for Lewis and Mercedes as to what 2004 was for Michael and Ferrari which doesn't spell good news for on track entertainment and the desires to see someone other than Mercedes on the top of the podium!

Looking forward to the new season and like you I can't see past Lewis.

I hope it's close though and a fight between, him, Seb and the Red Bull boys would be great.

If I could have one wish this season it would be to see Alonso back challenging with at least a podium but that remains to be seen.

Haas surprised in testing along with Toro Rosso and Honda posting the most laps so interesting to see how that translates into the season.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2018 11:44:01 pm by srslfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4238: Mar 22, 2018 11:40:07 pm
      Looking forward to the new season and like you I can't see past Lewis.

I hope it's close though and a fight between, him, Seb and the Red Bull boys would be great.

If I could have one thing wish this season it would be to see Alonso back challenging with at least a podium but that remains to be seen.

Haas surprised in testing along with Toro Rosso ans Honda posting the most laps so interesting to see how that translates into the season.

It would be great to see Alonso challenging back at the front again. I think he can definitely get a few podiums.

I never thought I'd say this back in the mid 00s but there's nothing I'd love to see more than Fernando winning title number 3. At the least a few more race victories to his tally.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4239: Mar 22, 2018 11:46:43 pm
      It would be great to see Alonso challenging back at the front again. I think he can definitely get a few podiums.

I never thought I'd say this back in the mid 00s but there's nothing I'd love to see more than Fernando winning title number 3. At the least a few more race victories to his tally.

Indeed.

The battle for 4th in the constructors title this season looks like it could be the most interesting in a while and even the battle between the Renault engines.

Will Red Bull continue to be the strongest of those, as I suspect, or will the works team and McLaren close the gap?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4240: Mar 22, 2018 11:52:21 pm

I struggle to forgive and forget what he did to Hammy at Hungary back in 2007. Such a talented driver needn't of stooped so low.  :f_steam:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4241: Mar 23, 2018 12:05:10 am
      Indeed.

The battle for 4th in the constructors title this season looks like it could be the most interesting in a while and even the battle between the Renault engines.

Will Red Bull continue to be the strongest of those, as I suspect, or will the works team and McLaren close the gap?

Yeah that could be really interesting and I guess a lot will depend on how the different pairings in the Renault powered cars push each other. There are 5 excellent drivers with a Renault package in the back of the car with Verstappen, Ricciardo, Sainz, Hulkenberg and Alonso. The only question mark is the one hanging over Vandoorne given that he's relatively unproven. I think he's an impressive talent but last season's car offered little to show such talent or even develop it in the way he would have wanted. We should be able to judge his potential this season but I can't help but feel that for McLaren to really get back up with the big boys they're going to have to have a driver pairing that can equal the abilities of the likes of Button/Hamilton a few years back.

As for the Renault works team they probably have their strongest driver lineup since the days of Alonso and Fisichella. Hulkenberg and Sainz are worthy of a team who I hope and expect can move their way closer to the front three.

I struggle to forgive and forget what he did to Hammy at Hungary back in 2007. Such a talented driver needn't of stooped so low.  :f_steam:

Evidence of his at times toxic temperament that was. I can't deny that that sort of nonsense has contributed to him staying on just two world titles, which is pithy given his sensational talent. But it's because he's such a talent and in a way because he's caused so many great headlines (good and bad) that I kind of want to see him back at the front.

What is sport without a foe Keith?!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4242: Mar 23, 2018 07:16:19 am

Your probably right, which you often are with F1 views/opinions. I just can't get rid of the bad taste it left in my mouth. Granted given a fast car there's no doubting his ability to be up there with Hammy, Venstappen & Vettel.

He does need to move on to another team though if that is to happen. Anyway, let's get this party started!
      WHOS GOING TO GET POLE?  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4243: Mar 23, 2018 12:52:24 pm
      Your probably right, which you often are with F1 views/opinions. I just can't get rid of the bad taste it left in my mouth. Granted given a fast car there's no doubting his ability to be up there with Hammy, Venstappen & Vettel.

He does need to move on to another team though if that is to happen. Anyway, let's get this party started!
      WHOS GOING TO GET POLE?  ;D

It's a shame but he'll probably never get a chance with a top team again because of his  ability to destroy bridges - Good Bad and the Ugly style destruction of bridges as well!

I can't look past Lewis for pole tomorrow morning. Topping both practices, probably still has a few tenths in hand as well and you know Mercedes will amp the engine up all the way in Q2 and Q3 like last year!

But Max is so bloody fast so I would never rule him out even if he was driving a milk float!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4244: Mar 23, 2018 01:01:13 pm
      So another exciting season of Mercedes wins lies in wait then, zzzzzzzzzzz Oh for some genuine competition in F1 liek the good old days.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4245: Mar 23, 2018 02:58:07 pm
      So another exciting season of Mercedes wins lies in wait then, zzzzzzzzzzz Oh for some genuine competition in F1 liek the good old days.

It's never good for the sport when one team entirely dominates the season but even if that same team goes on to win the championship, the sport still works if the competition is close like it was last year between Seb and Lewis. Likewise when Red Bull dominated with Vettel, 2012 was, in my opinion, an excellent season of racing which was as much to do with the challenge of Alonso in a crap Ferrari as anything and the same goes for the 2003 season (probably one of my favourite years of f1 racing) where Williams and McLaren both challenged the supremacy of Schumacher and Ferrari. The inter team battle between Rosberg and Hamilton was intense and brought a lot of drama to the track as well as off it but in a wider sense it was merely a thin veil that covered up the severe lack of competition. Ferrari's re emergence last year was therefore very much welcomed and I think it brought in more attention to the sport but if Mercedes and Hamilton dominate this year then it will only add to problems and probably drive even more viewers away from the sport and given that it's viewers that drive the sport then it could be really bad. Hopefully not though - the last thing the sport needs this year is for the on track entertainment to be non existent when the politics could get really ugly.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4246: Mar 24, 2018 07:44:38 am
      Wow just wow.

What a drive from Hammy.

Let the show begin.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4247: Mar 24, 2018 10:22:09 am
      Can't believe what I just saw. Nothing between the top three drivers on first qualifying lap then comes along Hammer time.  ;D Truly amazing drive and I can't see another British driver achieving the heights  of this lad.  :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4248: Mar 24, 2018 02:28:17 pm
      Can't believe what I just saw. Nothing between the top three drivers on first qualifying lap then comes along Hammer time.  ;D Truly amazing drive and I can't see another British driver achieving the heights  of this lad.  :)

Not to take anything away from Hamilton, who is a very good driver, but it does help when your car is a good 5% better than any rival.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4249: Mar 24, 2018 02:51:40 pm
      Not to take anything away from Hamilton, who is a very good driver, but it does help when your car is a good 5% better than any rival.

Very good driver?  ;D Oh I think he's just a teeny weeny bit better than good heimdall.  :D up until the last 2 mins of qualifying there was nothing in them. I honestly believe put Verstappen, Vettel & Alonso all in the same car, Hammy would still come out on top.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4250: Mar 24, 2018 03:49:20 pm

A 'very good driver'. Yeah and a bit more.

No offence but your comment seems alittle bit dismissive at best, ignorance at worst. It suggests that all he has to do is turn up while acknowledging nothing of how he has been probably the single most important individual in bringing that team from winning a couple of GPs a season 5 years ago to dominating the entire year as they do now. How his speed informs development and how the engineering is perfected to meet his preferences takes more effort from driver and team than you seem to be aware of!

The very best will find themselves in the best cars - fact. The best car with the best driver will win as Lewis has proved in recent times. But you can't have a great car if you don't have a great driver.

Anyhow that pole lap was nothing short of breathtaking! That man is turning speed into an art form!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4251: Mar 24, 2018 04:38:30 pm
      We only have to look at Bottas & Rosberg who drive / drove the same car to realise just how good Hammy is. He was always on a different planet to his rivals. Back in the days of McClaren he did the same thing then.

Simple truth Hammy is a record breaker who can & does get more out of the car/engine than any of his counterparts. Every year he comes out with the same passion and vision that exceeds any other driver.

As Tiny Turner would say! SIMPLY THE BEST?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4252: Mar 24, 2018 05:07:17 pm
      We only have to look at Bottas & Rosberg who drive / drove the same car to realise just how good Hammy is. He was always on a different planet to his rivals. Back in the days of McClaren he did the same thing then.

Simple truth Hammy is a record breaker who can & does get more out of the car/engine than any of his counterparts. Every year he comes out with the same passion and vision that exceeds any other driver.

As Tiny Turner would say! SIMPLY THE BEST?

I said after last season that I believe he is up there with Senna and Schumacher in the last 30 years and nothing that has been said against him has made me think otherwise. In the past the only weakness I'd say he had was his mental side or his ability to go into moody slumps that would more often than not ruin a whole weekend. That said Senna and Schumacher had their own mental gaps that manifested itself in unsportsmanlike behaviour on the track something that Hamilton can't be accused of doing. But away from the mental side of things when it comes down to raw speed, racecraft and even the interpersonal abilities off the track to galvanise the whole team around him, Hamilton has done that better than any of his peers and given that his peers have included Alonso and Vettel that is some going.

Regardless - he still has a fight on his hands tomorrow! No way will the Prancing Horse let him rest! Let's go racing!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4253: Mar 25, 2018 05:15:36 pm
      Fortunate win for Vettel that but that's the luck of the virtual safety car/actual safety car I suppose! Even luckier when Kimi probably outdrove Seb for most of the weekend as well!

Bad luck for Hamilton who was controlling the race superbly until then. That car still looks the fastest despite the result.

Delighted for Alonso - benefitted as much from the VSC as Vettel but it's the least he deserves given the rubbish he has had to drive in recent years. It was good to see him not swamped on the straights for once and holding on and battling for position. Competing with the Renault factory team at the moment is a decent start for them.

As for Haas - oh dear! You'd think they would bring out a lolly pop man after the first wheel gaffe. That said, how much of that car is last year's Ferrari? A bit too much.

Overall a decent race and result that sets the season up nicely.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4254: Mar 26, 2018 06:26:14 am
      Fortunate win for Vettel that but that's the luck of the virtual safety car/actual safety car I suppose! Even luckier when Kimi probably outdrove Seb for most of the weekend as well!

Bad luck for Hamilton who was controlling the race superbly until then. That car still looks the fastest despite the result.

Delighted for Alonso - benefitted as much from the VSC as Vettel but it's the least he deserves given the rubbish he has had to drive in recent years. It was good to see him not swamped on the straights for once and holding on and battling for position. Competing with the Renault factory team at the moment is a decent start for them.

As for Haas - oh dear! You'd think they would bring out a lolly pop man after the first wheel gaffe. That said, how much of that car is last year's Ferrari? A bit too much.

Overall a decent race and result that sets the season up nicely.

Can see 1st and 2nd being sealed as Hamilton and Vettel. Think the most interesting bit will be the battle for 3rd, more so than 1st or 2nd. Hopefully Alonso will be in the mix but whether he is or not, think it’s going to be very close for 3rd between Kimi and the Red Bulls.

Last couple years I got a bit bored with the F1. McLaren were an embarrassment and every race was becoming far too predictable, this season though, think it’s going to be a good one.

Quick Reply