Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1

Read 572380 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4485: Aug 03, 2018 05:27:56 pm
      I'm very surprised, backward step surely??

I am thinking the same, but his car as been iffy this season, and he'll be No1 driver at Renault.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4486: Aug 03, 2018 05:28:45 pm
      All about the money I reckon. That and knowing Max more likely to get No 1 status in the future.

I get felling Max is No1.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4487: Aug 03, 2018 06:54:21 pm
      I'm very surprised, backward step surely??

Came out of the blue that one - the driver market can still gazump press expectations!Sensational coup that for Renault and an ambitious move for Ricciardo. They're a works team and in an era where Ferrari and Mercedes have reaped the benefits of such a status there's definitely a lot of potential for Renault and with Ricciardo they could do that. That said, where Ferrari are now more or less the equal of Mercedes in the power unit stakes, Renault have struggled and failed to make similar gains. And do they have a technical department that is equal to Ricciardo's phenomenal talent? 

And what of the now vacant seat at Red Bull? Carlos Sainz Jnr maybe? I hope so - his record against Max at Toro Rosso was criminally overlooked/underrated!
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018 07:00:47 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #4488: Aug 05, 2018 11:51:46 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      I feel like we overreact way too much to uneventful races. Those complaining that 'f1 is dead' or 'f1 isn't what it used to be' seem  to have been phrases that have been bandied about for the last 20 years or so whenever a bad race happens, conveniently forgetting that the last two Grand Prixs at Silverstone and Hockenheim were absolutely world class events. For me, last week's German GP and April's Azerbaijan GP were two of the best races I've seen in the last 10 years.

Yes - a few of this season's races, like today's have not been up to scratch but there have been plenty of brilliant ones that have excused the bad weekends. As a bonus, the championship is absolutely fascinating. Swinging one way and then the other. It may be in Hamilton's favour at the moment but if this season is anything to go by you can expect it to swing back in favour of Seb.

Why?

When Seb and Ferrari were expected to win in Hungary, they failed.
      When Seb and Ferrari were expected to win in Monaco, they failed.
      When Seb and Ferrari were expected to win in Singapore last year, they failed.
      Three circuits that were expected to sustain their title challenge, and they couldn't do it.

Hamilton has all the momentum his way, and Spa and Monza should see him win both. If he does, that's a long gap for Ferrari to reel in.

F1 isn't what it used to be because the challenge is not what it was, not because of drab races. There have always been poor races, but there used to be challenging race tracks, and unpredictable races where drivers used to risk everything to win. Neither is the case today. Finishing first now has 7 more points than second, designed to make drivers look to finish as high as possible. Instead they're busy saving engines, fuel, tyres etc for other races down the line, rather than challenge for those extra points that could make the difference in the end.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4489: Aug 06, 2018 09:44:19 pm
      Why?

Three circuits that were expected to sustain their title challenge, and they couldn't do it.

Hamilton has all the momentum his way, and Spa and Monza should see him win both. If he does, that's a long gap for Ferrari to reel in.

F1 isn't what it used to be because the challenge is not what it was, not because of drab races. There have always been poor races, but there used to be challenging race tracks, and unpredictable races where drivers used to risk everything to win. Neither is the case today. Finishing first now has 7 more points than second, designed to make drivers look to finish as high as possible. Instead they're busy saving engines, fuel, tyres etc for other races down the line, rather than challenge for those extra points that could make the difference in the end.

Why? Because the championship lead has changed 5 times this season.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1024731074666983425

Going by your textbook - When Lewis was expected to win in Australia they failed. When Lewis was expected to win in China they failed. When Lewis was expected to win in Austria they failed... etc etc. You get the picture. Keep up.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018 09:48:58 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #4490: Aug 09, 2018 08:29:24 pm
      Mercedes are currently the favourites to win every race, bar the three I mentioned. They can afford to have a few howlers and still win the championship. Their rivals need to take advantage of the tracks that best suit them, but they haven't. So Hamilton is now 27 points clear.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4491: Aug 11, 2018 02:58:54 pm
      Mercedes are currently the favourites to win every race, bar the three I mentioned. They can afford to have a few howlers and still win the championship. Their rivals need to take advantage of the tracks that best suit them, but they haven't. So Hamilton is now 27 points clear.

What rubbish. The Ferrari in the majority of this season's races has been the match of, if not better, than the Mercs. It's showed it's race pace time and time again.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4492: Aug 11, 2018 08:41:02 pm

Think you better stick to football lad.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #4493: Aug 13, 2018 08:52:29 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      Think you better stick to football lad.

Think you need to see the Drivers/Constructors Tables.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4494: Aug 15, 2018 08:18:31 pm
      Alonso announcing his retirement from F1 is not a shock but it's still a very sad piece of news. For me, F1 since the turn of the century has been defined by three drivers - Schumacher (of course!), Hamilton and Fernando.

I never really liked Alonso during his first few seasons in f1 particularly his most successful. Why? I was a Schumacher fan wasn't I. Tribal loyalties and all that. But post Schumacher I came to appreciate and adore his presence for the great driver that he was and continues to be. Becoming the then youngest world champion and then double world champion in 05 and 06 was an incredible achievement but for me peak Alonso was the 2012 version. Given a car so far behind the far superior Red Bull and then taking on that Red Bull to the very end of the season was a mark of his consistency and genius! A level of competition in a clearly inferior car that could be compared to Schumacher's early seasons at Ferrari in the mid to late 90s. Like Schumacher he took a dog of a Ferrari (relative to his rivals) and almost took all the glory with it. If it wasn't for a reckless and destructive piece of driving by Romain Grosjean at the start of the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix (where he nearly decapitated Alonso) we'd have been talking of a three time world champion and not the two time world champion that he will always be now.

But sure, F1 is as much about the decisions you make and the relations you build within the team, and those two massive personable aspects are what Alonso badly lacked. On track though, I thought he was the boss. The arrogance that damaged his f1 career opportunities in recent years is the same arrogance that made for one of the greatest racing drivers in history. Fingers crossed he goes to IndyCar and a sustained attempt at the triple crown.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4495: Aug 15, 2018 09:44:01 pm
      Alonso announcing his retirement from F1 is not a shock but it's still a very sad piece of news. For me, F1 since the turn of the century has been defined by three drivers - Schumacher (of course!), Hamilton and Fernando.

I never really liked Alonso during his first few seasons in f1 particularly his most successful. Why? I was a Schumacher fan wasn't I. Tribal loyalties and all that. But post Schumacher I came to appreciate and adore his presence for the great driver that he was and continues to be. Becoming the then youngest world champion and then double world champion in 05 and 06 was an incredible achievement but for me peak Alonso was the 2012 version. Given a car so far behind the far superior Red Bull and then taking on that Red Bull to the very end of the season was a mark of his consistency and genius! A level of competition in a clearly inferior car that could be compared to Schumacher's early seasons at Ferrari in the mid to late 90s. Like Schumacher he took a dog of a Ferrari (relative to his rivals) and almost took all the glory with it. If it wasn't for a reckless and destructive piece of driving by Romain Grosjean at the start of the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix (where he nearly decapitated Alonso) we'd have been talking of a three time world champion and not the two time world champion that he will always be now.

But sure, F1 is as much about the decisions you make and the relations you build within the team, and those two massive personable aspects are what Alonso badly lacked. On track though, I thought he was the boss. The arrogance that damaged his f1 career opportunities in recent years is the same arrogance that made for one of the greatest racing drivers in history. Fingers crossed he goes to IndyCar and a sustained attempt at the triple crown.

Agree with your comments. its certainly not good for the sport as given the car i have no doubt he would be up their fighting for the championship. Hes obviously got fed up driving for a poor team that can't supply a engine worthy of his talent.

As previously discussed i went right off him when he was team mates with Hammy for the pitgate tape back in 2007 at Hungarian GP. He's had his karma now. Ive no doubt he will be a success when he leaves for his new venture.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4496: Aug 16, 2018 10:48:12 am
      Why?

Spa and Monza are both power tracks.
      That's where Ferrari have found an advantage this season.
      Ferrari need back to back wins and they better do it now.
      If not the season is over, but no Hamilton shouldn't win both.
      If he does Ferrari have blown it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4497: Aug 17, 2018 07:24:53 pm
      Agree with your comments. its certainly not good for the sport as given the car i have no doubt he would be up their fighting for the championship. Hes obviously got fed up driving for a poor team that can't supply a engine worthy of his talent.

As previously discussed i went right off him when he was team mates with Hammy for the pitgate tape back in 2007 at Hungarian GP. He's had his karma now. Ive no doubt he will be a success when he leaves for his new venture.

It was a sensational breakdown in team relations that wasn't it? Boy, did the sh*t hit the fan that weekend in Hungary!

It was really sad and disappointing that instead of taking the fight to Lewis at McLaren he'd much prefer to burnish any opportunities to win the title in 08 and 09, happier it seemed to accept the very hollow number 1 status that was handed to him back at an uncompetitive Renault.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4498: Aug 20, 2018 10:26:22 pm
      Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull next season. Massive talent but not entirely sold on the idea for some reason - maybe because I feel he's going to be a bit of a rear gunner for Max who they've had a preference for over Ricciardo for a while (which is mad given Danny Ric's speed).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45253813
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018 10:30:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4499: Aug 20, 2018 10:46:11 pm
      looking forward to this Hamilton needs to press on now
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4500: Aug 20, 2018 11:21:21 pm
      Gasly to replace Ricciardo at Red Bull next season. Massive talent but not entirely sold on the idea for some reason - maybe because I feel he's going to be a bit of a rear gunner for Max who they've had a preference for over Ricciardo for a while (which is mad given Danny Ric's speed).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45253813

Establishes Max as No 1.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4501: Aug 25, 2018 05:23:07 pm
      Not a bad wet weather driver that Lewis Hamilton fella is. Pole position after a wet Q3. But what about Force India? Maybe they should have a new owner every race!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4502: Aug 25, 2018 08:01:11 pm
      Not a bad wet weather driver that Lewis Hamilton fella is. Pole position after a wet Q3. But what about Force India? Maybe they should have a new owner every race!

How many times have we said Hammy appears to be unbeatable in the wets? Vettel not on same planet in wet weather conditions.

Interesting interview the other day when Hammy spoke about Alonso leaving F1. He said Alonso fastest driver he's ever raced against. Bet that went down well with Vettel.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4503: Aug 25, 2018 08:37:30 pm
      https://twitter.com/SchumacherMick/status/1033417118841286659

Mick Schumacher winning his third Euro F3 race of the season. Doing his dad proud.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #4504: Aug 26, 2018 10:25:37 am
      The two McLaren and Williams on the back two rows today.

Sad times for those teams. Grew up with them in F1 and it's not great to see them struggle.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4505: Aug 26, 2018 10:42:47 am

Sad times for those teams. Grew up with them in F1 and it's not great to see them struggle.

Me too, sad times unfortunately
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4506: Aug 26, 2018 12:35:15 pm

Feel more for Williams than McLaren... hoping Paddy can reverse the trend & get them back on top ...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4507: Aug 26, 2018 12:54:59 pm
      Hamilton was 7/10th faster than Vettel that would be something like 50 or 60 metres a lap which could see him lapping most of the field at that rate.
      A good Hamilton winner followed by Newcastle beating Chelsea would make a good weekend.
      Cant see Vettel wanting to get involved too early as he cant risk being taken out. Force India or whatever they are now are very quick on the straights so they will be hard to get past.
      As for McClaren and Williams WTF is going on

Quick Reply