Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Formula 1

Read 576606 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,036 posts | 2091 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5106: Dec 07, 2020 08:43:52 pm
      Remarkable result for Perez and Racing Point. But fully deserved for Perez (makes up for Malaysia 2012 where he should have won in the Sauber!)

Do the decent thing Red Bull - get him in that second seat.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5107: Dec 08, 2020 09:00:36 am
      Have  we not just witnessed one of the greatest races of all time. I may of lost my money on Max but boy the race more than made up for it.  :D Driver of the day? Well we all know that's Russell. What a debute  for the young up and coming BRITISH driver.  ;D

Cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a race so much. Boring isn't it!! (( according to some.  ;D )) Ive always though Lando was the faster driver of the two young Brits, suppose we won't know till Lando gets a better car.

Back on to the race it's self, the Mercs must be going ballistic in the background with the cock up on tyres. As for Bottas, he may well collect his P45 when his contract runs out as Russell totally humiliated him on performance and always had the better pace of the two. How is that possible considering he's getting use to different set up?

Truly one of the most exciting races I've had the pleasure of watching. In a way I hope Hamilton not available for Abu Dhabi as I want to see another remix of this race.m ;D

F1 RACING TAKE A BOW.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree it was an exciting race but is it not awfully convenient that Mercedes screw up Russell's tires twice, can't have some rookie driver prove that its the car much more than the driver which has propelled Hamilton to his string of easy wins can we.  Honestly I think it stinks to high heaven, Mercedes simply do NOT make those kind of mistakes.
      BTW did they find out if Russel actually had a puncture instead of a sensor malfunction, seems very weird to set a faster sector time and then be told you have a puncture!

In any case Mercedes ought to promote Russell to Hamilton's place and not renew Hamilton;'s contract, would save a heap of money and hassle. How Bottas keeps his drive is an utter mystery, stealing a living that guy or is he just there to make Lewis look good?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5108: Dec 08, 2020 04:40:13 pm
      I agree it was an exciting race but is it not awfully convenient that Mercedes screw up Russell's tires twice, can't have some rookie driver prove that its the car much more than the driver which has propelled Hamilton to his string of easy wins can we.  Honestly I think it stinks to high heaven, Mercedes simply do NOT make those kind of mistakes.
      BTW did they find out if Russel actually had a puncture instead of a sensor malfunction, seems very weird to set a faster sector time and then be told you have a puncture!

In any case Mercedes ought to promote Russell to Hamilton's place and not renew Hamilton;'s contract, would save a heap of money and hassle. How Bottas keeps his drive is an utter mystery, stealing a living that guy or is he just there to make Lewis look good?

I'm not sure I want to answer this Heimy as your more paranoid than me if you think shenanigans went on in the Merc camp.  :lmao:

Surely you mean demote Bottas and replace with Russell? One things pretty though, Bottas won't be getting a new contract when it runs out.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #5109: Dec 13, 2020 01:41:47 pm
      I'm a casual fan of F1. I watch it when its on and I have always loved Ferrari's. I love the engineering and physics and technology and history of F1. But I dont know a whole lot. One question.  What happened to Ferrari? It seems like its one problem after another. Do drivers still dream of going to Ferrari? They used to be the kings of F1. When did they lose their dominance?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,036 posts | 2091 
      Reply #5110: Dec 13, 2020 04:01:00 pm
      I'm a casual fan of F1. I watch it when its on and I have always loved Ferrari's. I love the engineering and physics and technology and history of F1. But I dont know a whole lot. One question.  What happened to Ferrari? It seems like its one problem after another. Do drivers still dream of going to Ferrari? They used to be the kings of F1. When did they lose their dominance?

Disheartening isn't it? A failed series of post Schumacher successions. There's a culture of fear that preceded the Schumacher/Brawn era that seeped back in after they left.  Its just run rampant in recent years.

Nice to have our annual reminder of why Abu Dhabi should be torpedoed out of existence
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5111: Dec 13, 2020 04:09:50 pm
      What a F***ing boring race...that track needs either scrapping or rejigging ..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5112: Dec 18, 2020 02:12:42 pm
      Great news, Perez signs for Red Bull.  :celebrate:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5113: Dec 18, 2020 02:55:05 pm
      Great news, Perez signs for Red Bull.  :celebrate:

Good the have Checo driving next season, I think he will have a better season than Max...Good move for all parties..

Other break8ng news: Toto signs on for another 3 years at Merc..next Lewis signs on for another 3..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5114: Dec 18, 2020 03:09:58 pm
      Good the have Checo driving next season, I think he will have a better season than Max...Good move for all parties..

Other break8ng news: Toto signs on for another 3 years at Merc..next Lewis signs on for another 3..

Not sure Lewis will do 3 years Shabs.  Wouldn't surprise me if he wins/breaks the record next yeah he hangs his gloves up.  :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5115: Dec 18, 2020 04:20:17 pm
      Not sure Lewis will do 3 years Shabs.  Wouldn't surprise me if he wins/breaks the record next yeah he hangs his gloves up.  :(

Reckon over the next few years Brand LH will be busy away from F1 than in F1.
      Lewis certainly seems to be branching out a lot this season.
      He'll get to the point where he's too busy and/or his interest is somewhere else.
      At that point he'll walk away from one as the most succesful driver of all time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5116: Dec 18, 2020 06:06:11 pm
      Reckon over the next few years Brand LH will be busy away from F1 than in F1.
      Lewis certainly seems to be branching out a lot this season.
      He'll get to the point where he's too busy and/or his interest is somewhere else.
      At that point he'll walk away from one as the most succesful driver of all time.

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. Hopefully we're wrong and he continues.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,036 posts | 2091 
      Reply #5117: Dec 18, 2020 09:36:10 pm

Really thought Toto was going or at the very most would stay for one more year. Good news for Lewis fans the world over that.

Great to see Perez going to Red Bull. The least he deserves after his drives of recent seasons.

Gutted for Albon though - certainly not the first youth driver to be fu**ed about by Red Bull. Such a lack of duty and care towards their own cohort of drivers all in the name of protecting certain egos (Horner etc) in that team.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5118: Dec 19, 2020 09:11:41 am
      Gutted for Russell but made up for Checo!

Criminal Perez ain’t got a seat for next season..

Look behind you ....
      Oh yes he has .
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5119: Dec 19, 2020 09:15:26 am
      Ineos take stake in Mercedes AMG  F1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55362926

Chemical giant Ineos is to become a one-third shareholder in the Mercedes Formula 1 team.

It will have an equal shareholding with Mercedes parent company Daimler and Toto Wolff, Mercedes motorsport boss and F1 team principal.

The move reduces Daimler's shareholding from 60% and ups Wolff's from 30%.

Wolff, in charge of Mercedes F1 operations since 2013, has signed a new contract and will remain team boss and chief executive for three more years.

The 48-year-old "will have the subsequent opportunity to transition to a new executive function within the organisation when he decides it is the right time to do so," a statement said.

The statement added that Mercedes F1 would "remain the works team of Mercedes-Benz and will continue to race Mercedes chassis and power units in the coming years".

Daimler chairman Ola Kallenius said Ineos' decision to join forces with the Mercedes F1 team was "a sign of the strength of the organisation".

Kallenius added: "We remain firmly committed to F1, and the forthcoming cost cap along with the new shareholding structure put us in an even stronger position for continued success."

F1 has introduced a budget cap from next year, starting at $145m (about £107m) and reducing to $135m by 2023.

Ineos became a sponsor of Mercedes F1 at the start of this year, adding the team to its portfolio of sporting involvement that also includes a cycling team and an America's Cup yachting programme.

Ineos chairman Sir Jim Ratcliffe said: "When we entered F1 earlier this year, we chose to do so with a Mercedes team that had set new benchmarks, and since then we have been in discussions about how we could increase our involvement.

"This is a unique opportunity to make a financial investment in a team at the very top of its game, but which still has rich potential to grow in the future."

Mercedes this year extended their record-breaking run to seven consecutive drivers' and constructors' championships, and Lewis Hamilton became the most successful racing driver in history by breaking Michael Schumacher's all-time win record and equalling his tally of seven world titles.

The Briton is expected to sign a new contract with Mercedes to keep him at the team beyond this year.

Wolff's initial contract with Mercedes expired at the end of this year and he had spent 2020 weighing up his options for the future.

He said: "This team is like a family for me. We have been through so many highs and lows together that I cannot imagine working with a better group of people in this sport - and I am very happy to continue together into this new era.

"This new investment from Ineos confirms that the business case for F1 teams is robust and sends an important signal of confidence in the sport after a challenging year."

They are going for 10 straight championships with Toto signing up or three further years.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5120: Dec 19, 2020 09:19:45 am

WTF ?

Honestly.

The F***ing stuff you come out with defies belief mate.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5121: Dec 20, 2020 10:20:48 pm
      Great to see the main man win SPOTY award. Well done Sir Hamilton elect  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5122: Dec 20, 2020 11:28:02 pm
      ... and Toto Wolff nominated as well.

Liverpool FC and Mercedes - AMG . The two loves of my life.

( Racer knows ....)
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2020 11:33:04 pm by MIRO »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,954 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5123: Dec 21, 2020 07:53:51 am
      ... and Toto Wolff nominated as well.

Liverpool FC and Mercedes - AMG . The two loves of my life.

( Racer knows ....)

Both fair and right results
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5124: Dec 21, 2020 10:26:57 am
      Thought it was about right.

Liverpool win team and coach.
      Hamilton wins sportsperson.

I know Hamilton only wins because he's in a Mercedes,
      but given the events with Russell and Bottas you'd have to wonder how often Mercedes win because of Hamilton.

No arguing with his success though. 7 titles and, now that Toto has pledged his future to Mercedes, seemingly more to come.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #5125: Dec 21, 2020 11:32:44 am
      Well done to Lewis Hamilton.  Think he takes far too much stick by, lets face it, people with certain other views.

One of Britain's very few sports people who are known globally.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,036 posts | 2091 
      Reply #5126: Dec 21, 2020 04:03:36 pm
      Thought it was about right.

Liverpool win team and coach.
      Hamilton wins sportsperson.

I know Hamilton only wins because he's in a Mercedes,
      but given the events with Russell and Bottas you'd have to wonder how often Mercedes win because of Hamilton.

No arguing with his success though. 7 titles and, now that Toto has pledged his future to Mercedes, seemingly more to come.

Totally agree. And let's remember, Russell and Bottas wouldn't have the pleasure of driving and performing in that great car if it weren't for Lewis's expert input in testing and development. It's got his DNA running right through it, it's his car. It's essentially an extension of him as a human being (you get that heimdall?)!!

7 titles - it is the most remarkable feat. I seriously doubt we'll see another British driver like him. If you'd told me back on 2004 that Schumacher's record would be equalled, I'd have said give them Sports Personality for life! To not honor him for his efforts would be churlish. He's been at the top of British sport for 14 years non stop now. So many 'Great British sporting greats' have come and gone yet he carries on. He's Britain's greatest sportsperson. By a country mile.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4908 
      Reply #5127: Dec 21, 2020 10:31:54 pm
      Lewis must possibly be one of Britain's most under rated and underappreciated sportsmen and I feel as JD says is more due to certain people's views than his actually ability and impact on the sport.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5128: Dec 28, 2020 11:49:43 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Nice to have our annual reminder of why Abu Dhabi should be torpedoed out of existence

It's the same track that Hamilton racked up win after win in previous years. Nobody had an issue with the track then. Now when somebody else wins, the track must be torn up.

Abu Dhabi is Monaco by the Gulf. The nature of the layout means whoever gets to the first corner first, usually wins as happened again this year. Russell should have got another chance to run rings around Bottas as he did for most of the race in Bahrain. All he had to do was set foot in the Mercedes car, and drive off into the distance. If he was in the Mercedes instead of Bottas, he would be a far bigger challenger to Hamilton.

Quote from JD
      Well done to Lewis Hamilton.  Think he takes far too much stick by, lets face it, people with certain other views.

One of Britain's very few sports people who are known globally.

He was always going to win it, as Mansell and Hill did before him. Reeling off another world title in a one car championship is always seen as a greater achievement than becoming a world champion in our sport, against the best in the country, continent, and then the globe.

At least we took on Flamengo in a fair fight for our world title.

Quick Reply