Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Formula 1

Read 575711 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5221: Apr 18, 2021 11:00:59 pm
      It's still a downgrade on Ben Edwards though mate. I find myself waiting for him to hit the high notes that Ben did but it's not happening. Have you heard of Boretto?

Yeah, Lawrence Barretto. His name's been about f1 for a few years now. The name's very familiar and I see he used to write for the BBC Sport website when they had the rights a decade or so ago alongside. Don't know too much about his work though.

Agree with you about Edwards - impossible to replace really.

Edit: Looks like Barretto didn't do main pieces for the BBC. That will always be Andrew Benson who is a great f1 journalist (and has been writing for the Beeb for as long as I remember!)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5222: Apr 18, 2021 11:02:35 pm
      It's a shame that Ben Edwards stepped away at the end of last season. For me, aside from Murray, he, along with James Allen was the best commentator that we've had. So knowledgeable and a great voice with a lasting presence across many motorsports.

New guy is Alex Jacques. Think he commentated on F2 previously and did other work for the official F1 feed. He's done OK for me from what I've heard.

Yea I miss Ben and you're right Alex Jacques is the new commentator. I thought Keith was asking about the new paddock presenter.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5223: Apr 18, 2021 11:07:27 pm
      Yea I miss Ben and you're right Alex Jacques is the new commentator. I thought Keith was asking about the new paddock presenter.

Lee Mackenzie's still doing features ain't she? She's excellent.

Overall, still love the Channel 4 team. Less is more (compared to the top heavy Sky presentation) and a focus on Webber and DC as the main contributors really works. Both are fantastic at what they do
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5224: Apr 18, 2021 11:10:43 pm
      Lee Mackenzie's still doing features ain't she? She's excellent.

Overall, still love the Channel 4 team. Less is more (compared to the top heavy Sky presentation) and a focus on Webber and DC as the main contributors really works. Both are fantastic at what they do

I think Lee is still on the team but I don't recall seeing her so far this season.

Yes anytime I watch on Sky I find myself missing Jones et al.

Going to be a lot of fun this season I think mate. Hamilton battling with Max. Lando and Danny. The subplots of Valtteri and Russell and lots more.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5225: Apr 19, 2021 07:51:43 am

I was asking both Si  ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5226: Apr 19, 2021 03:37:06 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Very forgivable. Had to go on the wet part of the track to lap. A real shame. He was showing some great pace despite the front wing damage throughout

When another driver makes a mistake against Hamilton, it's because he cracked under pressure. But when the roles are reversed, it's never his fault. He was one of several drivers to drive on the wrong tyres for the conditions, and one by one, off they went. It's great to see gravel traps, but drivers should not be able to drive out of them every time. Defeats the whole purpose of having them there. Good to see Ferrari and Williams put in credible performances. And good to see that there's been a slight relaxation in the mask wearing oppression for pit lane interviews. Not much admittedly, but it's one step towards normality.

You would expect Mercedes to enjoy Portugal and Spain before Monaco, which should see Red Bull walk away with it. That's if the races go by the usual script.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5227: Apr 19, 2021 04:20:08 pm
      When another driver makes a mistake against Hamilton, it's because he cracked under pressure. But when the roles are reversed, it's never his fault. He was one of several drivers to drive on the wrong tyres for the conditions, and one by one, off they went. It's great to see gravel traps, but drivers should not be able to drive out of them every time. Defeats the whole purpose of having them there. Good to see Ferrari and Williams put in credible performances. And good to see that there's been a slight relaxation in the mask wearing oppression for pit lane interviews. Not much admittedly, but it's one step towards normality.

You would expect Mercedes to enjoy Portugal and Spain before Monaco, which should see Red Bull walk away with it. That's if the races go by the usual script.

Well there's a reason for that in that he's one of, if not the greatest driver of all time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5228: Apr 19, 2021 04:54:17 pm

Why are you such a negative poster on any subject? Doesn't matter what it is you always debate even when you know fuuck all about  It 🙄
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5229: Apr 30, 2021 11:33:59 am
      Portugal this weekend. The ONLY good thing to have come out of COVID is that we've been able to revisit some favourite tracks from years gone and some other new circuits. It's great that the f1 circus has found its way back to Portugal.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5230: May 02, 2021 03:39:40 pm
      What an overtake by Lewis on Bottas... Lewis P1.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5231: May 02, 2021 05:07:46 pm
      What an overtake by Lewis on Bottas... Lewis P1.

Class, pure class. Bottas won't be driving Merc next year.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5232: May 02, 2021 05:36:59 pm
      Class, pure class. Bottas won't be driving Merc next year.

It’s the car Keith! the car... 🙄
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5233: May 02, 2021 05:49:22 pm
      It’s the car Keith! the car... 🙄

So the jealous ones keep saying.  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5234: May 02, 2021 09:24:16 pm
      Couldn't watch the race today but caught the highlights there. Excellent win by Lewis and Mercedes. Norris again proving to be the best of the rest. Excellent 5th.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5235: May 02, 2021 09:27:37 pm
      Couldn't watch the race today but caught the highlights there. Excellent win by Lewis and Mercedes. Norris again proving to be the best of the rest. Excellent 5th.

Really exciting watching Lando, hopefully the new Hamilton.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5236: May 07, 2021 06:07:14 pm
      Max Verstappen once again falling foul of track limits in todays Spanish GP practice.

How about we get round the problem by putting gravel in those spots?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5237: May 07, 2021 06:29:25 pm
      Max Verstappen once again falling foul of track limits in todays Spanish GP practice.

How about we get round the problem by putting gravel in those spots?

No no no it's good for Hammy.  ;D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5238: May 07, 2021 07:32:00 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Portugal this weekend. The ONLY good thing to have come out of COVID is that we've been able to revisit some favourite tracks from years gone and some other new circuits. It's great that the f1 circus has found its way back to Portugal.

It's the only circuit on the calendar without a chicane anywhere on the circuit. Even Monaco has one. One retirement in the race there, about as exciting for us neutrals as a race at Paul Ricard. I preferred the Estoril circuit, much narrower and less margin for error.

Canada has been the second country to cancel a race this season, allowing Turkey back, meaning a European season all the way to the chequered flag in Sochi. And I'm sure the circus will be happier to travel to Turkey in less than a week from Baku, rather than Canada.

Grosjean has got himself a seat in a Merc at Paul Ricard. It's rather difficult to find a gravel trap, let alone hit a barrier at that track. But even when he has the track all to himself, it's no guarantee that his drive will end, in one or the other.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5239: May 07, 2021 07:46:14 pm
      It's the only circuit on the calendar without a chicane anywhere on the circuit. Even Monaco has one. One retirement in the race there, about as exciting for us neutrals as a race at Paul Ricard. I preferred the Estoril circuit, much narrower and less margin for error.

Canada has been the second country to cancel a race this season, allowing Turkey back, meaning a European season all the way to the chequered flag in Sochi. And I'm sure the circus will be happier to travel to Turkey in less than a week from Baku, rather than Canada.

Grosjean has got himself a seat in a Merc at Paul Ricard. It's rather difficult to find a gravel trap, let alone hit a barrier at that track. But even when he has the track all to himself, it's no guarantee that his drive will end, in one or the other.

I liked the Portugal race last week. Not a classic but some good entertainment spattered across the GP. Agree, though, the track itself is far too wide. It really dwarfed the cars
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5240: May 09, 2021 02:41:27 pm
      Oooh, Mercedes have not taken Lewis in one lap after a botched Max pitstop. Why???? Surely not???
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5241: May 09, 2021 02:47:37 pm
      Sacrificing track position for what would have been a guaranteed P1 for Lewis after Max's poor pit stop is a very very risky move. Playing the long game clearly using the fresher tyres strategy. Hmmmm...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5242: May 09, 2021 03:03:59 pm
      Don't quite get it. Mercedes more or less given P1 on a plate by Red Bull and chose not to take it. Lewis will need to blitz it on the inside of turn 1 somehow.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5243: May 09, 2021 03:04:54 pm
      Oh wow - Lewis tearing up the strategy and pits! This is going to be a rapid chase job now for Lewis!

Quick Reply