Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Formula 1

Read 577124 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5359: Jul 05, 2021 05:24:36 pm
      Frankly Mr Shankly and myself noticed this a long time ago.  ;D

Yea, I only realised yesterday  :roll: :f_tongueincheek:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5360: Jul 05, 2021 06:29:37 pm
      Yea, I only realised yesterday  :roll: :f_tongueincheek:

;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5361: Jul 05, 2021 09:29:57 pm
      Called it ages ago lads! Called it ages ago!

MASSIVE congratulations to Lando Norris who has won the European F3 Championship at his first attempt. He is a big big talent this one. Quite fancy putting a tenner on him becoming future F1 world champion.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/glastonburys-lando-norris-wins-european-626994

But seriously - I should have put that tenner on in October 2017. My potential returns are diminishing by the day! Anyhow we can forget about him driving for Mercedes/Ferrari in the foreseeable future. We all have to look at McLaren and what they can offer. Who knows...maybe he'll get McLaren back to the top. I mean somebody has to??!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5362: Jul 06, 2021 08:36:17 am
      Called it ages ago lads! Called it ages ago!

But seriously - I should have put that tenner on in October 2017. My potential returns are diminishing by the day! Anyhow we can forget about him driving for Mercedes/Ferrari in the foreseeable future. We all have to look at McLaren and what they can offer. Who knows...maybe he'll get McLaren back to the top. I mean somebody has to??!

You have to dig deep for that one mate.  :lmao: Did I agree with you  ;D

Good call.  ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5363: Jul 06, 2021 07:15:53 pm
      You have to dig deep for that one mate.  :lmao: Did I agree with you  ;D

Good call.  ;)

:D

I did indeed! I think all of us regulars on this page were aware of his brilliance early on (I only cottoned onto him after watching some f3 live on YouTube - it's a fantastic formula! )

With Lando, I don't think there's been a day during his short f1 career where there have been questions posed. It's not like Jenson Button who after a promising year had a terrible time at Benetton in 2001.

While Max reminds me of Schumacher, Lando strikes me with the consistency and all round brilliance that Alonso has. He can really hook it up on a Sunday with phenomenal consistency.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5364: Jul 06, 2021 08:31:48 pm
      :D

I did indeed! I think all of us regulars on this page were aware of his brilliance early on (I only cottoned onto him after watching some f3 live on YouTube - it's a fantastic formula! )

With Lando, I don't think there's been a day during his short f1 career where there have been questions posed. It's not like Jenson Button who after a promising year had a terrible time at Benetton in 2001.

While Max reminds me of Schumacher, Lando strikes me with the consistency and all round brilliance that Alonso has. He can really hook it up on a Sunday with phenomenal consistency.

Interesting contrast, It's his consistency that reminds me very much of Hammy more so than Alonso. He just doesn't throw a bad performance in. When you consider what Ricciardo did at RB Lando is making him look like a 3rd choice driver.

Far too early to say but I'm going to class Russell as a Button type driver till he shows me otherwise. Granted in a Williams you'll never see the best out of him dispite becoming Mr Saturday in the F1 world. I'm probably being a bit harsh but such my plaudits for Lando and the admiration I have for him can't help it.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5365: Jul 06, 2021 08:55:28 pm
      Interesting contrast, It's his consistency that reminds me very much of Hammy more so than Alonso. He just doesn't throw a bad performance in. When you consider what Ricciardo did at RB Lando is making him look like a 3rd choice driver.

Far too early to say but I'm going to class Russell as a Button type driver till he shows me otherwise. Granted in a Williams you'll never see the best out of him dispite becoming Mr Saturday in the F1 world. I'm probably being a bit harsh but such my plaudits for Lando and the admiration I have for him can't help it.  ;D

I think that's a fair observation. As fans of British motorsport we're blessed to have two extremely talented drivers on the grid with years ahead of them. But like you, I've always seen Lando as the superior driver. I don't know if there's much to choose between Norris and Russell on a Saturday but on a Sunday, Lando wins hands down. I know Russell's in a relatively poor car but there's been the odd occasion where he's dropped the ball when running in a points paying position (think back to Mugello last year and a very poor restart saw him slip to the back from 9th). I think his clash with Bottas at Imola at the start of this season also showed a lack of judgement/rashness.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #5366: Jul 07, 2021 12:56:51 am
      The most impressive thing about Lando this season for me is how he's kicked on even more and made Ricciardo look very ordinary.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5367: Jul 07, 2021 03:42:42 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      Leclerc a F***ing nutter, why do the French have so much arrogance. 

France is a big country and they have their quota of drivers on the circuit. However, as Leclerc is not even French, you're asking the wrong driver.

Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      I think that's a fair observation. As fans of British motorsport we're blessed to have two extremely talented drivers on the grid with years ahead of them. But like you, I've always seen Lando as the superior driver. I don't know if there's much to choose between Norris and Russell on a Saturday but on a Sunday, Lando wins hands down. I know Russell's in a relatively poor car but there's been the odd occasion where he's dropped the ball when running in a points paying position (think back to Mugello last year and a very poor restart saw him slip to the back from 9th). I think his clash with Bottas at Imola at the start of this season also showed a lack of judgement/rashness.

And Norris sending Perez into the gravel at the weekend was not?

As Latifi shows every weekend, Russell has been driving the F1 equivalent of a Lada for the last three years. It's a miracle he gets anything out of the car at all. When he got into the Merc last year, he turned Bottas into a laughing stock to such an extent that they had to make him do extra pit stops just to spare Valtteri the embarrassment of finishing behind him in the race.

Norris has had 3 years driving a decent car, and the most he's got is a handful of podiums. As he has dual Belgian and British nationality, he has 2 home races at Spa and Silverstone.

Quote from PTU
      Perez doing to Leclerc exactly what Norris did to him... Let's see if the FIA is consistent in its ruling.

Yes it was. Twice. Hamilton picked up the same penalty for driving Albon into the gravel there 12 months ago, so there's no issues with the consistency at that corner. But I'll say it again. Gravel traps are there to trap and stop cars, not allow them drive out and continue the race. Otherwise, what's the point of them?

Norris has always gone well in Austria, like Bottas has. Show them a view of the Alps and they find an extra few kph of speed. If only every circuit was like that, they might be championship contenders. I wonder if anyone caught the performance of the anthem before the race, because one of the most solemn national anthems in the world became a unique rock and roll rendition.

Sorry to drag the masks talk back up, but it's confusing to me, to allow full capacity crowds at races with no masks or distancing in the stands, but in the paddock, everyone bar the drivers is still armed to the teeth and standing 2-3m apart from each other, in an outdoor setting, for hour after hour after hour. Either it's safe for everyone in the sport to get back to normal, or it's not. Which is it?

Anyway, onto Silverstone. Traditionally Hamilton runs off into the distance, then has his 5 minute lap of appreciation in the car at the end of the race holding everything else up, so he can milk every clap and cheer from the stands. But with a new qualifying format and extra points on the table for pole position, predicting a winner this year is anyone's guess.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5368: Jul 07, 2021 04:51:58 pm
      France is a big country and they have their quota of drivers on the circuit. However, as Leclerc is not even French, you're asking the wrong driver.

And Norris sending Perez into the gravel at the weekend was not?

As Latifi shows every weekend, Russell has been driving the F1 equivalent of a Lada for the last three years. It's a miracle he gets anything out of the car at all. When he got into the Merc last year, he turned Bottas into a laughing stock to such an extent that they had to make him do extra pit stops just to spare Valtteri the embarrassment of finishing behind him in the race.

Norris has had 3 years driving a decent car, and the most he's got is a handful of podiums. As he has dual Belgian and British nationality, he has 2 home races at Spa and Silverstone.

Yes it was. Twice. Hamilton picked up the same penalty for driving Albon into the gravel there 12 months ago, so there's no issues with the consistency at that corner. But I'll say it again. Gravel traps are there to trap and stop cars, not allow them drive out and continue the race. Otherwise, what's the point of them?

Norris has always gone well in Austria, like Bottas has. Show them a view of the Alps and they find an extra few kph of speed. If only every circuit was like that, they might be championship contenders. I wonder if anyone caught the performance of the anthem before the race, because one of the most solemn national anthems in the world became a unique rock and roll rendition.

Sorry to drag the masks talk back up, but it's confusing to me, to allow full capacity crowds at races with no masks or distancing in the stands, but in the paddock, everyone bar the drivers is still armed to the teeth and standing 2-3m apart from each other, in an outdoor setting, for hour after hour after hour. Either it's safe for everyone in the sport to get back to normal, or it's not. Which is it?

Anyway, onto Silverstone. Traditionally Hamilton runs off into the distance, then has his 5 minute lap of appreciation in the car at the end of the race holding everything else up, so he can milk every clap and cheer from the stands. But with a new qualifying format and extra points on the table for pole position, predicting a winner this year is anyone's guess.

I said at the time and still think it now - racing incident. Hard but fair racing. Should have read my response to it earlier on in this thread - what's your point then?

None of what you said addresses the fact that Russell has dropped the ball in races a few times. Yeah Norris has had a decent car but it's never been a race winning car. Again, what's your point? And thanks for pointing out that Norris has dual nationality. Again, the question is, what's your point?

We all like a contrarian/devil's advocate but you just take the piss don't you?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5369: Jul 07, 2021 06:15:18 pm
      I know he's from Monegasque but he sounds French and talks like most of the arrogant fuckers
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5370: Jul 07, 2021 11:58:19 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      I know he's from Monegasque but he sounds French and talks like most of the arrogant fuckers

He's not French at all, so he really wouldn't know much about the arrogance of French drivers. He also regularly accepts responsibility for mistakes and poor results. Something other drivers could learn from.

None of what you said addresses the fact that Russell has dropped the ball in races a few times. Yeah Norris has had a decent car but it's never been a race winning car. Again, what's your point?

Gasly has won a race and he's useless. Even Stroll has a pole position on his CV. Norris has a few podiums in three years, half of them in Austria. It would be a great return for him if every race was in Austria, but there's other circuits to drive as well.

The Russell incident with Bottas was officially judged as a racing incident. I think he's done an amazing job considering how uncompetitive that car actually is, and when he was put in a faster car, instantly showed what he was really capable of. Latifi is getting the results the Williams should be getting these days.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5371: Jul 08, 2021 12:25:34 am
      He's not French at all, so he really wouldn't know much about the arrogance of French drivers. He also regularly accepts responsibility for mistakes and poor results. Something other drivers could learn from.

Gasly has won a race and he's useless. Even Stroll has a pole position on his CV. Norris has a few podiums in three years, half of them in Austria. It would be a great return for him if every race was in Austria, but there's other circuits to drive as well.

The Russell incident with Bottas was officially judged as a racing incident. I think he's done an amazing job considering how uncompetitive that car actually is, and when he was put in a faster car, instantly showed what he was really capable of. Latifi is getting the results the Williams should be getting these days.

Again, the Gasly win and such your posts are completely devoid of any context (the context being that that race was a freak race).

Must try harder.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5372: Jul 08, 2021 08:20:27 am
      Again, the Gasly win and such your posts are completely devoid of any context (the context being that that race was a freak race).

Must try harder.

Think we should call him Mr Negative  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5373: Jul 08, 2021 03:19:24 pm
      Only just read the news about Carlos Reutemann. Very sad! One of those iconic names that was associated with a truly dangerous period for the sport. Had the looks of a classic racing driver and the name to go with it. My respect for those guys from that era is off the scale. RIP Carlos.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5374: Jul 09, 2021 10:44:37 pm

Despite the attempt to move the goalposts, no context is necessary. The fact is he has already won a race. Which is one more race won, in a worse car than what Norris gets to drive every weekend. And in less time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5375: Jul 10, 2021 07:20:00 am
      Despite the attempt to move the goalposts, no context is necessary. The fact is he has already won a race. Which is one more race won, in a worse car than what Norris gets to drive every weekend. And in less time.

Don't you ever give up? Your not even a F1 fan. Think your a bot.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #5376: Jul 10, 2021 09:56:53 am

Johnny Herbert won in a Stewart GP car in 1999. Does that make him better than Hakkinen and Schumacher at the time? If course it doesn't. Same context isn't it? Extraordinary circumstances in the race culminating in a surprise win.

I would suggest you think about what you type before confirming yourself as a bit of an idiot.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5377: Jul 13, 2021 05:54:56 pm
      Lando has his watch stolen at the Euro's

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57818938
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5378: Jul 13, 2021 07:38:31 pm
      Johnny Herbert won in a Stewart GP car in 1999. Does that make him better than Hakkinen and Schumacher at the time? If course it doesn't. Same context isn't it? Extraordinary circumstances in the race culminating in a surprise win.

I would suggest you think about what you type.

I would suggest you stop moving the goalposts when you don't like the original answer.

Hakkinen and Schumacher won and retained multiple World titles. Herbert won 3 races. I don't see what that has anything to do with Lando Norris distinct lack of wins in his 50 F1 races to date.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5379: Jul 13, 2021 08:12:51 pm
      I would suggest you stop moving the goalposts when you don't like the original answer.

Hakkinen and Schumacher won and retained multiple World titles. Herbert won 3 races. I don't see what that has anything to do with Lando Norris distinct lack of wins in his 50 F1 races to date.

Seriously!!!!! Has Lando had a car that's capable of winning a F1 race like the two you mentioned?  He's already over achieving in his short racing career.

All you do is create negativity when you post, is altercation your middle name?

Time for the ignore button for you...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5380: Jul 13, 2021 10:46:58 pm
      Right. I'm not someone to argue with posters, but after the latest batch of off topic insults, I've had enough.

You're a bizarre manc obsessed with what Liverpool fans say about the world on a LFC fan platform. Seriously, it's hard to find a discussion about any subject between us, LFC or otherwise, that you haven't butted in telling us all what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and why it should be done. And you then come here throwing random insults about people you know nothing about, such as  "altercation" "negativity" "bot" etc etc etc.

Honestly I couldn't give a toss what you do with your precious ignore button. I'm sure there's a fair few of us here who want to turn the tables.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #5381: Jul 17, 2021 04:24:49 pm
      Don't know about you guys but I'm bang into this new format this weekend.

A lot of excitement around Silverstone it appears

Quick Reply