Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Formula 1

Read 578448 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #2668: Jan 22, 2014 12:33:41 pm
      Seen that on you Twitter Racer and a nice car indeed.

I wish I had more time to be able to follow F1 properly as I used to watch it every race without fail but have really lost track over the  last few years.

Found it hard to watch last season.
      Once Red Bull got the tyres changed, and Vettel was gone, I stopped watching it.

Last roll of the dice, and they've already fu**ed it up with double points at the last round.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2669: Jan 30, 2014 07:53:34 pm
      Found it hard to watch last season.
      Once Red Bull got the tyres changed, and Vettel was gone, I stopped watching it.

Last roll of the dice, and they've already fu**ed it up with double points at the last round.

Red Bull have had a very bad start to testing. Renault power unit is proving to be a right b***ard to get going whereas the Mercedes and Ferrari power units have all run very well. Perhaps the head start that the other teams needed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2670: Jan 30, 2014 09:25:09 pm
      Red Bull have had a very bad start to testing. Renault power unit is proving to be a right b***ard to get going whereas the Mercedes and Ferrari power units have all run very well. Perhaps the head start that the other teams needed.

Oh the irony, if double points meant Red Bull clawed back a massive lead built up by McLaren or Mercedes.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #2671: Jan 30, 2014 09:44:19 pm

Boss that!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2672: Feb 22, 2014 06:32:11 pm

Red Bull title a tougher challenge as Mercedes set pace in testing

Andrew Benson

Just how much trouble are Red Bull in, exactly?

The bald facts do not look good for the world champions. After a first pre-season test last month in which they managed just 21 laps in four days, Red Bull and engine supplier Renault needed a good test in Bahrain this last week. They did not get it.

Red Bull drivers Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo completed 116 laps between them - a vast improvement over their experience in Jerez - but that was still about a third of the mileage achieved by rivals Mercedes and Ferrari.

Reliability problems - with both the car and the Renault power-unit - continued to plague Red Bull, and when the RB10 was running it was not very fast. The team's best time of the week, set by Ricciardo, was a massive 6.554 seconds slower than the pace-setting lap of Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg.

And there are now just four days of pre-season testing remaining, in Bahrain next week, for Red Bull to learn everything they need to about their car before heading into the first race in Melbourne on 16 March. It's a tall order indeed.

That's the bad news. And it is quite bad, there is no doubt about that.

However, it is important not to get too carried away. While the general impression after two pre-season tests is that Renault in general - and Red Bull in particular - are in dire straits, it may not be as clear-cut as that.

Renault have ongoing reliability problems with their power unit; that is certain. But insiders say that in terms of performance it is looking very promising, even if it is not obvious from the lap times.

"It's where we think it should be," said a senior figure from one of Renault's lesser teams. "Reliability is a question mark, there is no doubt about that, but performance-wise, we're pretty sure it'll be there.

"We've certainly seen some very strong power figures. Of course there are problems, but we don't think they are anything they can't get on top of, and when it's working it will be fine."

Red Bull's reliability problems extend beyond their power unit. The car itself is also proving problematic.

As the team said on the final day of the test, the more running they do, the more problems they uncover.

Reliability problems, though, are nothing new at Red Bull.

Their path to winning the last four World Championships has not been a smooth one. There were regular problems with various parts of the car, often caused by the desire of chief technical officer Adrian Newey to push performance to the limit, as has been the case with at least some of the current issues. But the team have proved time and again that they are capable of fixing them and winning races.

Red Bull have the biggest resources and some of the brightest brains in Formula 1. No-one in the pit-lane underestimates them, and everyone expects them to sort this out. And when they do, as one insider asked rhetorically in Bahrain: "Do you really think they've built a bad car?"

The question, however, is how long it will take before the car's performance can be properly unleashed.

Some believe that what Red Bull and Renault are experiencing is a result of a problem that runs far deeper than merely the bumpy start that is to be expected with this year's new rules. Producing such a complicated power-unit as the new 1.6-litre turbo hybrids F1 is using this year, on top of a simultaneous reworking of the aerodynamic rules, has been a problem for all the teams and manufacturers.

But there is a feeling that the model Red Bull and Renault have used for their partnership is now outdated, and that they are suffering for a lack of integration between the chassis and engine design teams - integration that both Mercedes and Ferrari have.

Compared with Mercedes and Ferrari, Renault Sport's base at Viry-Chatillon operates largely independently. To over-simplify slightly, they design the engines and then give them to their teams. That's how it worked even when Renault nominally ran its own team, the one that is now called Lotus.

There is much more cross-fertilisation at both Ferrari, whose two operations are literally both under the same roof, and Mercedes, whose aren't, but are just 30 miles apart and work very closely together.

Both have bought into the need for the car and engine to be designed as a single package under these new rules, which are by far the most complex F1 has ever had.

It's hard to see how it could be any other way, when energy-recovery is now such an integral part of both the power-unit itself and the performance of the car.

Under the previous rules, this was not the case. Engine specs had been frozen for several years, and aerodynamics came to be by far the predominant factor in determining car performance.

Red Bull exploited this with great success but, some of their rivals believe, they have focused so much on aerodynamics that they have let other areas slip - areas that are now much more important in the overall speed and reliability of the car than they were.

At the same time, the relative lack of importance of engines led to Renault downsizing its engineering team, an issue identified by Williams technical boss Pat Symonds - who has worked closely with Renault for a long time, but whose team now use Mercedes engines - as a key factor in the French company's current problems.

When Symonds's view was put to him, Renault engine boss Rob White admitted this had been "one of the challenges", although he denied it had been a "fundamental problem".

What has been seen on the track over the first eight days of pre-season testing, then, could well be the result of management decisions made two or more years ago by the various teams and companies involved as they began to assess the new regulations.

That does not mean Red Bull and Renault will not recover, but it does mean that winning again this year is likely to be a far bigger challenge than over the previous four.

The rules of the game appear to have changed, and at the moment it seems as if others have adapted better than Red Bull and Renault.

Chief among them look to be Mercedes, who are so far undoubtedly in the best shape of all the teams.

The car is generally running reliably and at a good pace - to say the least. One rival described Rosberg's fastest lap of the test on Saturday as "a (expletive) good time".

And Rosberg underlined the challenge facing Red Bull after the test when he said: "We learned a massive amount, and it's every lap - every lap you learn.

"We discovered a lot of reliability issues, which you only discover if you do a lot of laps and really push the car to the limit."

That does not necessarily mean Rosberg and team-mate Lewis Hamilton will be the dominant force come Melbourne next month, nor that they have the fastest car.

Fuel consumption under the new limit of 100kg per race has been added to the multitude of variables that already made it incredibly hard to extrapolate a genuine sense of relative performance from pre-season testing.

Nevertheless, any team that can complete two full race-distance simulations (and get not far off a third), do more laps than anyone else and set one-off lap times nearly two seconds quicker than any of their rivals, without trying that hard, has to be considered the favourite going into the season.

Much could change at the final test next week. McLaren also look in good shape, Ferrari are hard to read but seem to be keeping their powder dry for now and a Red Bull revival cannot be ruled out.

But, for now, McLaren driver Jenson Button probably summed up the state of play best.

"No-one knows who's going to be on pole in Melbourne," Button said in Bahrain, before glancing over towards Mercedes and adding: "I think I have a good idea."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26306929

Mercedes look well on top don't they. Have high hopes for Rosberg especially. Big problems for Red Bull though which, considering how appalling last season was, is good news from my point of view. Has there been a more unreliable car in testing in recent years?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2673: Mar 06, 2014 11:56:07 am

Great to see the Martini livery back.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2674: Mar 06, 2014 05:01:57 pm

Great to see the Martini livery back.

Beautiful livery!!! It's brilliant seeing that iconic sponsor back in the sport. I suspect we may be seeing these cars at or near the front quite a lot judging by their almost faultless testing season and with good reason - Massa and Bottas is a very good driver line up. The return of Williams as a major force? Let's hope so!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2675: Mar 06, 2014 08:43:35 pm
      Beautiful livery!!! It's brilliant seeing that iconic sponsor back in the sport. I suspect we may be seeing these cars at or near the front quite a lot judging by their almost faultless testing season and with good reason - Massa and Bottas is a very good driver line up. The return of Williams as a major force? Let's hope so!

lets hope its not another RED BULL walk over.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2676: Mar 06, 2014 09:28:35 pm
      lets hope its not another RED BULL walk over.

Considering Red Bull gives you Wiiings wouldn't it be a FLYOVER !
      Seriously, usually it's along time from the end of one season to the start of another, but with our clubs success this season the F1 close season has just flown by !
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2677: Mar 06, 2014 11:57:23 pm
      Can't see Red Bull being anywhere near as dominant to be honest, they have been struggling with their development of the new car.

Looking forward to seeing how Ferrari do with Alonso and Kimi. Want Alonso to win it and although I've never really liked Kimi he has grown on me and intrigued to see how Ferrari do with 2 fantastic drivers. Big season for Ferrari, they haven't been anywhere near good enough the last few years and I wouldn't have been shocked if Alonso left them if they fail to provide him with a car that should be winning the Championship yet again.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2678: Mar 07, 2014 12:25:14 am
      Ferrari NEED to win.

But just as Red Bull falter there are 4 Mercedes teams right in the mix.

Ferrari NEED to get on the front foot fast or lose out again.

Williams, Mercedes, McLaren, Force India.
      Maybe Mercedes fastest.
      That's what Ferrari NEED to get ahead of.

Early on reliability will be key.
      Williams and Ferrari seem strongest there.

This could be mental.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2679: Mar 07, 2014 01:23:45 am
      Ferrari NEED to win.

But just as Red Bull falter there are 4 Mercedes teams right in the mix.

Ferrari NEED to get on the front foot fast or lose out again.

Williams, Mercedes, McLaren, Force India.
      Maybe Mercedes fastest.
      That's what Ferrari NEED to get ahead of.

Early on reliability will be key.
      Williams and Ferrari seem strongest there.

This could be mental.

On testing form I see Mercedes and Williams as the top two going into the season. Then I think Ferrari and McLaren are a level below. Red Bull just haven't entered the running such is their reliability.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2680: Mar 07, 2014 09:35:45 am
      On testing form I see Mercedes and Williams as the top two going into the season. Then I think Ferrari and McLaren are a level below. Red Bull just haven't entered the running such is their reliability.

I really hope Williams pull off a Brawn this season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2681: Mar 07, 2014 03:14:44 pm
      I really hope Williams pull off a Brawn this season.

I'd love to see it. Massa would have to rediscover his old form but with the pressures of not having to be supressed as Alonso's teammate he may just do that. That said the Button/Barrichello combo back in 2009 was incredibly strong. I'd love to see Jenson back at Williams.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2682: Mar 10, 2014 09:32:11 am
      I'd love to see it. Massa would have to rediscover his old form but with the pressures of not having to be supressed as Alonso's teammate he may just do that. That said the Button/Barrichello combo back in 2009 was incredibly strong. I'd love to see Jenson back at Williams.

Everything seemed to go wrong for Rubinho that year.
      At the end Brawn were about 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.
      Really it was McLaren's upturn in form that kept Red Bull from winning the title that year.

We all know who dominated since then. What the F**k happened McLaren?

This season is an unprecedented shift in technical regulations.
      I'd love to see a team like Williams win early on.
      Most likely it will be Mercedes, but reliability issues might see Williams or McLaren compete.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2683: Mar 10, 2014 11:01:36 am
      Everything seemed to go wrong for Rubinho that year.
      At the end Brawn were about 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.
      Really it was McLaren's upturn in form that kept Red Bull from winning the title that year.

We all know who dominated since then. What the f**k happened McLaren?

This season is an unprecedented shift in technical regulations.
      I'd love to see a team like Williams win early on.
      Most likely it will be Mercedes, but reliability issues might see Williams or McLaren compete.

Would love Williams to start competing again Racer but either way I'm more excited about this seasons F1 than I have been for the last couple of seasons.

These new regulations have really shaken things up and the pecking order might not be as we've seen in previous years.

Can't wait for next weekend  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2684: Mar 10, 2014 10:48:20 pm
      Would love Williams to start competing again Racer but either way I'm more excited about this seasons F1 than I have been for the last couple of seasons.

These new regulations have really shaken things up and the pecking order might not be as we've seen in previous years.

Can't wait for next weekend  ;D

It probably couldn't have come at a better time for the sport. It hit rock bottom for me last season. I would religiously watch every race until it came to the point just beyond mid season where I couldn't really be arsed with much of it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.  Many said it was no different to 10 years ago when Schumacher (God bless him) and Ferrari were dominating but I loved Schumacher's speed and aggression so much that I could enjoy that period a lot. Besides the cars with their V10 engines sounded brilliant.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2685: Mar 10, 2014 10:55:02 pm
      It probably couldn't have come at a better time for the sport. It hit rock bottom for me last season. I would religiously watch every race until it came to the point just beyond mid season where I couldn't really be arsed with much of it. Many said it was no different to 10 years ago when Schumacher (God bless him) and Ferrari were dominating but I loved Schumacher's speed and aggression so much that I could enjoy that period a lot. Besides the cars with their V10 engines sounded brilliant.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I'm very much a casual F1 fan and don't fully understand the intricacies and mechanics of it all but I agree with the "many".
      When Schumacher dominated for so long I stopped watching the sport, it was like trying to watch SPL football. It became so stale and uninteresting to anybody other than the hardcore F1 fans.
      Over the last few years I think the sport has improved massively and it's drawn my attention again but IS starting to go a little stale once again.
      These changes may well have come at the right time and aside from the damned ugly cars, I'm really looking forward to it all.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014 01:53:46 am by Reprobate, Reason: Typo after typo after typo... »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2686: Mar 11, 2014 12:07:41 am
      It probably couldn't have come at a better time for the sport. It hit rock bottom for me last season. I would religiously watch every race until it came to the point just beyond mid season where I couldn't really be arsed with much of it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.  Many said it was no different to 10 years ago when Schumacher (God bless him) and Ferrari were dominating but I loved Schumacher's speed and aggression so much that I could enjoy that period a lot. Besides the cars with their V10 engines sounded brilliant.

I agree mate. 

I stopped watching it during the Schumacher domination purely because it was no contest, then got interested again when he retired.  I''d lost interest again when Vettel was doing the same, probably from midway through the 2012 season so for me this is a godsend.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2687: Mar 13, 2014 09:55:31 pm

I didn't really get bored of seeing Schumacher win all the time, like you I loved his speed and aggression. I did however get very bored with it last season with Vettel, there is something about him that just lacks class and hecomes across and a sore winner IMO.

With Schumacher I thought it was great when Alonso then came through and beat him to two Championships in consecutive years.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,617 posts | 3847 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2688: Mar 13, 2014 11:04:20 pm
      I didn't really get bored of seeing Schumacher win all the time, like you I loved his speed and aggression. I did however get very bored with it last season with Vettel, there is something about him that just lacks class and hecomes across and a sore winner IMO.

With Schumacher I thought it was great when Alonso then came through and beat him to two Championships in consecutive years.

Shuey had to work hard for it.
      Left Benetton to a lacklustre Ferrari and helped rebuild them.

Red Bull are very much like Chelsea or City.
      Big money came in and bought them success in a short space of time.

For that reason I find it hard to warm to them.
      That and Horner.
      They just don't seem to have the same class as Williams or McLaren.
      Their a new money team built on the success of a F***ing energy drink.

Give me Ferrari or Mercedes winning the title over that sh*t any year.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2689: Mar 14, 2014 07:15:24 pm
      Can't wait for the start this year must admit to not missing much due to our teams success on the pitch that's taken my mind off the close season !
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #2690: Mar 14, 2014 09:19:04 pm
      Schumacher's titles were a mix of his brilliance behind the wheel and his ruthlessness when he had the resources. You could appreciate and respect his achievements whereas Vettel and Red Bull are just boring to watch and a soulless team.

Despite their track woes since last season, you still expect Vettel to walk the Melbourne race. The car was competitive in practice, and he can go the extra mile to win it, which his teammates often couldn't.

Another thing about his titles these days is the lack of risk in the sport. There's no wet weather starts anymore. There's too many safety cars, too few gravel traps, no fuel stops, and now the engines have changed. Formula 1 engines always had a unique sound. Now they sound like GP2 cars.

Nobody wants a return to the early days of F1. But there has to be risks for driving at 200kph (in rain) so that the drivers skill to be successful in it is richly rewarded.

I attended my first race last year in Hungary. The race was fairly processional as normal there. But at least somebody else won, and it was great to hear the cars first hand, rather than relying on a screen.

Quick Reply