Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 578002 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #2760: May 12, 2014 05:38:31 pm
      Totally agree with your analogy there Debs, and yourself across the bonnet of the aforementioned  Lambo/Masarati bonnet must be a site to behold I'm sure !

Not many would want to behold it these days though Steve, would need a hell of a lot of airbrushing mate  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2761: May 12, 2014 07:03:49 pm
      You reckon Alonso could replace Button at Maclaren mate?  Or is he fully wedded to Ferrari now?

I would have put a bet on Alonso joining McLaren next year but since Ron Dennis came back in to the frame there seems to be no chance of that happening given the hatred that exists between the pair. The rumour mill is now saying that Ferrari's next move will be to prize Adrian Newey away from Red Bull who has remained tight lipped over his future plans. Would love to see that, moreso to see the looks on the faces of those Red Bull morons Helmut Marko and Mateschitz who can get fu**ed with their glorified and soulless sponsor of a team. If ever there was a Chelsea/Man City of f1, then Red Bull are it. Perhaps Vettel could follow Newey to Ferrari, leaving Alonso the option of liking it or lumping it?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2762: May 12, 2014 07:34:36 pm
      I would have put a bet on Alonso joining McLaren next year but since Ron Dennis came back in to the frame there seems to be no chance of that happening given the hatred that exists between the pair. The rumour mill is now saying that Ferrari's next move will be to prize Adrian Newey away from Red Bull who has remained tight lipped over his future plans. Would love to see that, moreso to see the looks on the faces of those Red Bull morons Helmut Marko and Mateschitz who can get fu**ed with their glorified and soulless sponsor of a team. If ever there was a Chelsea/Man City of f1, then Red Bull are it. Perhaps Vettel could follow Newey to Ferrari, leaving Alonso the option of liking it or lumping it?

Still think that hatred built up because Lewis was Rons protegy mate.

There is no doubt that Newey is the brains behind RB's success mate, we McLaren fans were gutted when he left and he's never really been replaced. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2763: May 12, 2014 11:39:08 pm
      Still think that hatred built up because Lewis was Rons protegy mate.

There is no doubt that Newey is the brains behind RB's success mate, we McLaren fans were gutted when he left and he's never really been replaced. 

Yeah I definitely agree on both counts. Alonso's still suffering from that season of petulance. He could have won at least a couple more world titles with McLaren had he stayed and risen to the challenge of his talented team mate. The fact he went back to Renault and would rather fight it out for the odd podium here and there for two uncompetitive seasons seriously blighted my opinion of him.

With regards to Newey, McLaren should have done a lot more to keep hold of him. I think in hindsight they'd have done everything to make him stay. I read rumours in the past along the lines that he didn't feel so valued at McLaren.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2764: May 12, 2014 11:41:55 pm
      Yeah I definitely agree on both counts. Alonso's still suffering from that season of petulance. He could have won at least a couple more world titles with McLaren had he stayed and risen to the challenge of his talented team mate. The fact he went back to Renault and would rather fight it out for the odd podium here and there for two uncompetitive seasons seriously blighted my opinion of him.

With regards to Newey, McLaren should have done a lot more to keep hold of him. I think in hindsight they'd have done everything to make him stay. I read rumours in the past along the lines that he didn't feel so valued at McLaren.

Williams too. Frank admits it being his biggest mistake.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2765: May 12, 2014 11:44:34 pm
      Williams too. Frank admits it being his biggest mistake.

Dennis and co apparently felt that the design process in the of f1 cars in the mid 00s had gone past the point where no individual was better than the collective. I think that was proven by McLaren's tendency to rotate chief designers between each season and it's not worked for them at all. Turns out they were very much in the wrong!
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #2766: May 13, 2014 07:40:50 am
      Ferrari are a great name but need to ditch the policy of trying to keep everything Italian.

I don't know what the contractual situation is with Ross Brawn but they should be trying to get him on board ASAP.

F1 has had plenty of new teams who have challenged by investing in engineering. RBR as far as I can see have produced good drivers from their programme who are (relatively) down to earth and are essentially a British team. Adrian Newey has obviously felt valued during his time there and has been working well with Christian Horner - that's the skill of management - good luck to them, they deserve all the success that comes to them.

Ferrari, or any other team, have no right to automatically win just because they are a "name" in the sport. I respect their heritage but don't get the disdain for newer teams who are not part of the "club". I hope that in the coming years a new team comes and blows everyone away with the way they do things - that's what the sport needs.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2767: May 13, 2014 10:48:15 pm
      Ferrari are a great name but need to ditch the policy of trying to keep everything Italian.

I don't know what the contractual situation is with Ross Brawn but they should be trying to get him on board ASAP.

F1 has had plenty of new teams who have challenged by investing in engineering. RBR as far as I can see have produced good drivers from their programme who are (relatively) down to earth and are essentially a British team. Adrian Newey has obviously felt valued during his time there and has been working well with Christian Horner - that's the skill of management - good luck to them, they deserve all the success that comes to them.

Ferrari, or any other team, have no right to automatically win just because they are a "name" in the sport. I respect their heritage but don't get the disdain for newer teams who are not part of the "club". I hope that in the coming years a new team comes and blows everyone away with the way they do things - that's what the sport needs.

Don't see the exclusively Italian thing in Ferrari. They've haven't operated in any way differently from the rest in the last 20 years especially when you consider the Schumacher years of Michael, Jean Todt, Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn - a German, a Frenchman, a South African and an Englishman. Even now you've got James Allison and Pat Fry in the technical department so I don't quite know what you're getting at to be honest.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2768: May 15, 2014 09:48:34 pm
      I meant since the "Schumacher years" - as far as I understand they have been predominantly employing Italians rather than the best people for the job. It's true Pat Fry has been there a while but Allison only joined last Summer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2769: May 15, 2014 10:03:35 pm
      I meant since the "Schumacher years" - as far as I understand they have been predominantly employing Italians rather than the best people for the job. It's true Pat Fry has been there a while but Allison only joined last Summer.

Ah of course you did! Here was I thinking that maybe you were more suited to test cricket.  :f_tongueincheek:
      « Last Edit: May 16, 2014 03:31:26 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2770: May 24, 2014 03:01:19 pm
      Rosberg takes pole in Monaco ahead of Lewis BUT in controversial circumstances. With Rosberg on provisional pole he then proceeded to his final lap to cement pole position. However at Mirabeau he runs deep, locks up and takes to the escape road to the left bringing out the yellow flags and causing Hamilton, 20 seconds behind him, to abandon his pole attempt thus guaranteeing Nico pole position. Of course everyone will cite Schumacher in 2006 where he parked his car at Rascasse to deny Alonso, who was behind him, the chance to take pole.

Watching it live I would say it was driver error rather than a deliberate attempt by Nico to cheat Lewis from pole. The general reaction seems to say otherwise though. Trying to reverse out of the escape route however may make his case harder to argue though. I'd give Nico the benefit of the doubt but the stewards, when analysing the telemetry, may not.

Ironic considering it was Nico's father in 2006 who made the most aggressive attack on Schumi when he was in a similar incident. 'Cheap cheat' he was called.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2014 05:08:02 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2771: May 24, 2014 05:41:04 pm
      Rosberg takes pole in Monaco ahead of Lewis BUT in controversial circumstances. With Rosberg on provisional pole he then proceeded to his final lap to cement pole position. However at Mirabeau he runs deep, locks up and takes to the escape road to the left bringing out the yellow flags and causing Hamilton, 20 seconds behind him, to abandon his pole attempt thus guaranteeing Nico pole position. Of course everyone will cite Schumacher in 2006 where he parked his car at Rascasse to deny Alonso, who was behind him, the chance to take pole.

Watching it live I would say it was driver error rather than a deliberate attempt by Nico to cheat Lewis from pole. The general reaction seems to say otherwise though. Trying to reverse out of the escape route however may make his case harder to argue though. I'd give Nico the benefit of the doubt but the stewards, when analysing the telemetry, may not.

Ironic considering it was Nico's father in 2006 who made the most aggressive attack on Schumi when he was in a similar incident. 'Cheap cheat' he was called.

Wonder who will chicken out first at the first corner.If it was Senna and Prost the race would last for 200m
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2772: May 24, 2014 05:45:00 pm
      Wonder who will chicken out first at the first corner.If it was Senna and Prost the race would last for 200m

That's if they'll be starting together. I'm not too confident that the stewards will look at Rosberg's incident in his favour. Him reversing back up the escape road could be the indefensible point.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2773: May 24, 2014 05:59:39 pm
      That's if they'll be starting together. I'm not too confident that the stewards will look at Rosberg's incident in his favour. Him reversing back up the escape road could be the indefensible point.

think he has been cleared by the powers that be and I think Hamilton isn't too pleased
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2774: May 24, 2014 06:17:18 pm
      think he has been cleared by the powers that be and I think Hamilton isn't too pleased

Bit surprised at that to be honest. Don't doubt that he honestly made the mistake but it was the aftermath that I thought would be his downfall. Hasn't turned out to be that way though so it will be a fascinating race tomorrow between the two. Hamilton will be pissed off!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2775: May 24, 2014 07:46:15 pm
      Bit surprised at that to be honest. Don't doubt that he honestly made the mistake but it was the aftermath that I thought would be his downfall. Hasn't turned out to be that way though so it will be a fascinating race tomorrow between the two. Hamilton will be pissed off!

Hamilton only had to sneeze at one point to incur the wrath of the stewards still it may make for a fascinating race for a change.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2776: May 25, 2014 06:52:16 pm
      Well controlled race that was from Rosberg. Deserving winner even if VERY lucky on account of what happened yesterday. I think Lewis will want to forget this weekend but in hindsight he'll look back at it and see it as a worthy second place. Even though Rosberg has regained the championship lead, I still feel that Hamilton has the advantage, based on pure speed alone. But for now, Rosberg looks more mentally intact. Can't wait for Canada in two weeks time. A great circuit and a great venue for Lewis who has been supreme there on many occasions.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #2777: May 25, 2014 07:06:43 pm
      There was some animosity lashing the champagne about, they actively avoided each other.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2778: May 25, 2014 11:33:02 pm
      For a man who has been the quickest driver all season,
      Hamilton seemed surprisingly rattled today.

Missed call before the safety car, in hindsight,
      but to question the team isn't healthy.

Then his post race interviews were bizarre,
      almost petulant.

Great race all around and I'm delighted to see
      Marussia get a points finish with Bianchi.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2779: May 26, 2014 12:18:31 am

almost petulant.

Yeah I agree. Damon Hill on got it bang on earlier today saying the only person who can defeat Lewis Hamilton is Lewis Hamilton. I don't want to see the Hamilton of today for the rest of the season. He has to realise that things will go against him at times this season. If he dwells on it any longer then more things will go wrong for him, on his account alone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2780: May 26, 2014 12:25:37 am
      Yeah I agree. Damon Hill on got it bang on earlier today saying the only person who can defeat Lewis Hamilton is Lewis Hamilton. I don't want to see the Hamilton of today for the rest of the season. He has to realise that things will go against him at times this season. If he dwells on it any longer then more things will go wrong for him, on his account alone.

Lewis claimed he won't work with Mercedes' psychologist because he doesn't need one.

I disagree. Anything to give yourself a mental edge in sport should be utilised,
      and a sports psychologist would help compartmentalise the events and prevent
      what we saw in Lewis' behaviour when the weekend had gone against him.

He's still in the best car and the fastest driver in terms of outright pace.
      Keep his head and he wins the title. Lose it and he could lose his Merc seat.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #2781: May 26, 2014 06:02:42 pm

almost petulant.

Hamilton has always been moody but has the mental strength to bounce back remarkably quickly. Looking forwadr to the next race - I think he will put Rosberg in his place.

Regarding the psychologist - there's absolutely no point using one if you don't have faith that they will work in the first place. Hamilton obviously doesn't see the need and therefore has rightly let the opportunity pass.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2782: May 26, 2014 06:24:22 pm
      Lewis claimed he won't work with Mercedes' psychologist because he doesn't need one.

I disagree. Anything to give yourself a mental edge in sport should be utilised,
      and a sports psychologist would help compartmentalise the events and prevent
      what we saw in Lewis' behaviour when the weekend had gone against him.

He's still in the best car and the fastest driver in terms of outright pace.
      Keep his head and he wins the title. Lose it and he could lose his Merc seat.

If he'd watch his post race interviews anytime he has a bad weekend then he'd realise he's got a serious issue when it comes to dealing with it. It is not good which is a shame because if he can get his mental standards up to his incredible racing ability then he can be unbeatable.

Quick Reply