Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575580 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3634: Feb 23, 2017 05:30:45 pm
      I find it boring? Prefer the Renault beast..

I like the Renault. It's quite elegant but the Mercedes looks more aggressive.  I think the Merc from the front looks very good (then again it's surprising how much the lowering of the rear wing makes the car look more attractive).

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3635: Feb 24, 2017 03:28:39 pm

The new McLaren. So what do we think? Orange and black? Don't have a problem with orange and black because Arrows and Spyker did it quite well in years gone by but for god's sake don't do it in the livery pattern of the Marussia cars of recent years!

And here's the new Ferrari.

Quite odd looking? Adventurous? I'm not sure.

Would love it if these two made their way back to the front of the grid. F1 just isn't f1 without the two biggest teams firing on all cylinders.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3636: Feb 24, 2017 04:28:49 pm

The new McLaren. So what do we think? Orange and black? Don't have a problem with orange and black because Arrows and Spyker did it quite well in years gone by but for god's sake don't do it in the livery pattern of the Marussia cars of recent years!

And here's the new Ferrari.

Quite odd looking? Adventurous? I'm not sure.

Would love it if these two made their way back to the front of the grid. F1 just isn't f1 without the two biggest teams firing on all cylinders.

A lot of interesting concepts on that Ferrari.
      Hope they work, but damn both those cars are fugly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3637: Feb 24, 2017 05:46:24 pm
      Renault and Mercedes the best looking cars so far.

Am I right that Merc is the only one without the shark fin at the moment?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3638: Feb 24, 2017 06:07:08 pm

I think you're right. James Allen on his blog said that he sees no point in the fins and think they will be banned at some point because they add only 'a point of downforce'.

Agree with you about Mercedes and Renault.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3639: Feb 24, 2017 07:08:44 pm

Agree Si but I think the Renault is the stand out for me, that F***ing rear looks like a beast that can pack a punch on the track..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3640: Feb 24, 2017 10:34:53 pm

Anyone know why McLaren decided to launch their car on an ITV Gameshow?

That colour scheme is grating - why didn't they just go full orange? What is this continued obsession amongst F1 teams with muddying the grid with dark colours?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3641: Feb 24, 2017 11:29:51 pm

Anyone know why McLaren decided to launch their car on an ITV Gameshow?

That colour scheme is grating - why didn't they just go full orange? What is this continued obsession amongst F1 teams with muddying the grid with dark colours?

Probably only podium they are going to get on ;D

As for the colours... Too tactical... Need some fluorescent on the cars...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3642: Feb 24, 2017 11:36:27 pm
      Probably only podium they are going to get on ;D

As for the colours... Too tactical... Need some fluorescent on the cars...

Someone described the colour scheme as 'designed by committee' which is apt. Like most f1 teams they need far more distinction.

Miss the sky blue tobacco influenced livery of the old Benetton cars on and some white like the BAR and Brawn teams.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3643: Feb 24, 2017 11:58:51 pm
      Probably only podium they are going to get on

I think you're right, think they will be well off being able to compete.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3644: Feb 25, 2017 01:13:24 am
      I think you're right, think they will be well off being able to compete.

I think the chassis itself will be fine but I'm half expecting Honda to give them an absolute sh*t cake of an engine. Apparently they've revolutionised the engine this year according to Honda, a 'risky strategy' they say but one that should see them closer to the Mercedes power.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Honda engine is conking out after just a few laps in testing.  No wonder they didn't choose to do a demonstration run ala Mercedes or Ferrari! It's a very, very cynical view but one that is justified given Honda's reputation in the sport since they returned. And that's not even taking into account that disastrous venture before last exited the sport when they bought the BAR team and proceeded to give Button and Barrichello utter turds to drive like the one below.

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2017 03:27:45 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3645: Feb 26, 2017 02:35:06 pm
      Renault and Mercedes the best looking so far.
      Looks ominous for anyone trying to beat Mercedes.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3646: Feb 26, 2017 02:46:30 pm
      Renault and Mercedes the best looking so far.
      Looks ominous for anyone trying to beat Mercedes.

Red Bull and Haas have revealed their latest efforts complete with a gaping hole on the front nose.

I hope that 'unlucky for some' motto doesn't come back to bite them!

Most intrigued by the Haas though. Looks very interesting and sporting a new grey and red livery (reminds me of the Liverpool away top from a few years back!). Check out the anvil like fin at the back.

McLaren gave their car a brief run this morning. In the sunlight the orange and black McLaren colour scheme looks quite good.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017 02:57:16 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3647: Feb 26, 2017 03:17:05 pm
      Red Bull and Haas have revealed their latest efforts complete with a gaping hole on the front nose.

I hope that 'unlucky for some' motto doesn't come back to bite them!

Most intrigued by the Haas though. Looks very interesting and sporting a new grey and red livery (reminds me of the Liverpool away top from a few years back!). Check out the anvil like fin at the back.

McLaren gave their car a brief run this morning. In the sunlight the orange and black McLaren colour scheme looks quite good.

Not sure about the dark grey primer on the HAAS.
      It does look good though.

Red Bull with some dubious S Duct Airflow.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3648: Feb 26, 2017 08:05:10 pm
      Torro Rosso looks great.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3649: Feb 27, 2017 07:35:06 pm

LEWIS HAMILTON FASTEST AS TESTING FOR F1’S NEW ERA GETS UNDERWAY AT BARCELONA

Alex Kalinauckas

Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton set the fastest time on the opening day of the first Formula 1 test of 2017 with a lap quicker than the fastest time set across all of testing in 2016. Hamilton, who took over at the wheel of the W08 from his new teammate Valtteri Bottas, set the fastest time of 1m21.765s on Pirelli’s soft compound tyre at around 4pm local time.

There were lots of interesting pointers from the day which we will analyse separately, for example the maximum speeds on the straights were around 330km/h, slower than last year as expected with these draggy cars, but the long run pace looked to be around 4 seconds per lap faster already.

That lap, one of the 152 Mercedes managed with its two drivers at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya today, was one second quicker than the fastest time seen in winter testing last year – which was a 1m22.765s by Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen using the ultrasoft rubber – thanks to the wider tyres and higher downforce levels created by F1’s new rules.

Hamilton’s fastest time came on the second lap of a seven lap run, however the more significant point is that he soon went back out and completed a typical race stint of 21 laps where he set a time just 0.6s slower than his best effort of the day on the second tour before finishing the rest of the run in the 1m23s region. For comparison, with 23 laps of the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix left to run, so with reasonably comparable fuel loads, the leaders were lapping in high 1m28s, which makes Hamilton’s times comfortably five seconds faster – one of the expected results of the regulation changes.

Behind Hamilton, Vettel was second fastest for Ferrari, just 0.113s adrift of the triple world champion’s best time. Vettel set his best time of the day at around 4.40pm using the medium tyres and he racked up 128 laps at the wheel of the SF70H. His fastest time came on the first flying lap of a 15-lap stint.

Felipe Massa ended the day in third place for Williams, 0.311s behind Hamilton. The Brazilian driver, who spent much of the day completing shorter stints – typically around five laps each with some slightly longer runs in the afternoon – also used the soft compound tyres to set his best lap at a similar time of day to Hamilton, and Williams was the only other team to break the 100-lap barrier with 103.

Kevin Magunssen finished his first test day as a Haas F1 in fourth place. The Danish driver eventually managed 51 laps in the VF-17 after his morning running was disrupted by an early problem that caused his car to stop at the pitlane entrance and a subsequent off at Turn 10 that broke his front wing just before the lunch break. Another driver who had to endure a disrupted day was Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo. With just four laps on the board and barely an hour of the day completed, the Australian driver caused the first red flag of testing in 2017when his car stopped in the first sector due to a sensor failure.

Red Bull did not get out again before lunch and when it did, a battery issue confined it to the garage for much of the afternoon. But Ricciardo did return to the track during the final 90 minutes and he eventually completed 50 laps, with a best time of 1m22.926s. Bottas was the sixth fastest driver at the end of the day, finishing in front of Sergio Perez – who lost time with an exhaust problem – and Carlos Sainz, who completed 39 and 51 laps for Force India and Toro Rosso respectively. Nico Hulkenberg was ninth fastest on his first day driving for Renault, while Fernando Alonso made a late improvement to beat Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson to tenth place.

But Alonso and McLaren completed the fewest laps of any team during the first day after a series of issues cost them time. An oil system problem after just one lap stopped the MCL32 during the morning running and it did not return until the session entered the final two hours of the day. But when Alonso did finally reappear another problem struck immediately and he was forced to crawl back to the McLaren garage.

But the second problem only took a few minutes to fix and the double world champion was eventually able to take McLaren’s lap total up to 29 before the chequered flag came out at the end of the day.

Barcelona test one, day one, results:
      1   Lewis Hamilton   Mercedes   1m21.765s, 73 laps (softs)
      2   Sebastian Vettel Ferrari   1m21.878s + 0.113s, 128 laps (mediums)
      3   Felipe Massa   Williams   1m22.076s +0.311s, 103 laps (softs)
      4   Kevin Magnussen   Haas F1   1m22.894s +1.129s, 51 laps (softs)
      5   Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull   1m22.926s +1.161s, 50 laps (softs)
      6   Valtteri Bottas   Mercedes   1m23.169s +1.404s, 79 laps (softs)
      7   Sergio Perez   Force India   1m23.709s +1.944s, 39 laps (softs)
      8   Carlos Sainz   Toro Rosso   1m24.494s +2.729s, 51 laps (mediums)
      9   Nico Hulkenberg   Renault   1m24.784s +3.019s, 57 laps (mediums)
      10   Fernando Alonso   McLaren   1m24.852s +3.087s, 29 laps (softs)
      11   Marcus Ericsson   Sauber   1m26.841s +5.076s, 72 laps (mediums)

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/02/lewis-hamilton-fastest-as-testing-for-f1s-new-era-gets-underway-at-barcelona/
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3650: Feb 27, 2017 11:16:21 pm
      But Alonso and McLaren completed the fewest laps of any team during the first day after a series of issues cost them time. An oil system problem after just one lap stopped the MCL32 during the morning running and it did not return until the session entered the final two hours of the day. But when Alonso did finally reappear another problem struck immediately and he was forced to crawl back to the McLaren garage.

McLaren already well behind. Shocker.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3651: Feb 27, 2017 11:17:52 pm
      McLaren already well behind. Shocker.

I think the chassis itself will be fine but I'm half expecting Honda to give them an absolute sh*t cake of an engine. Apparently they've revolutionised the engine this year according to Honda, a 'risky strategy' they say but one that should see them closer to the Mercedes power.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the Honda engine is conking out after just a few laps in testing. 

Well I was wrong.

Turned out to be the first lap of testing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3652: Feb 27, 2017 11:22:46 pm
      Well I was wrong.

Inevitable wasn't it
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3653: Feb 28, 2017 02:02:40 am
      Well I was wrong.

Honda are destroying the end of Alonso's career.
      Even if Ron Dennis rushed them back they should have sorted the car to at least run reliably in the 2017 test. Embarrassing stuff.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3654: Feb 28, 2017 08:42:11 am
      Honda are destroying the end of Alonso's career.
      Even if Ron Dennis rushed them back they should have sorted the car to at least run reliably in the 2017 test. Embarrassing stuff.

Sad to see.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3655: Feb 28, 2017 04:16:54 pm
      Yet more troubles encountered by Honda today leaving McLaren, Alonso and Vandoorne completely helpless already. Journalist Mark Gallagher gets it spot on.

https://twitter.com/_markgallagher/status/836601909947559937

https://twitter.com/_markgallagher/status/836602427004583938

Utterly damning.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3656: Feb 28, 2017 05:19:46 pm
      Either Honda are holding back & thinking about Team Honda in F1 or they have fooled Dennis & McLaren into believing they can revisit glory years gone by...

If I were McLaren i would ditch Honda next season and look at Renault,Audi,BMW engines...

Quick Reply