Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572207 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3795: May 13, 2017 07:03:40 pm
      Buzzing for Alonso with that qualifying result. He tends to start strong in the races too so will be interesting to see if he can get a position or two in the race and watch him piss somebody off. Doubt it'll work for long though :D.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3796: May 14, 2017 12:28:33 am
      Phenomenal drive by Alonso.
      Best driver on the grid.
      Shame he's made every wrong call imaginable off the track.
      Great to see him shine. Sort your sh*t out Honda.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3797: May 14, 2017 12:29:21 am
      I think it shows that the actual McLaren chassis and design of the car is quite good.

It's just that bucket of sh*t that Honda contributed let's everything down.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3798: May 14, 2017 12:31:37 am
      I think it shows that the actual McLaren chassis and design of the car is quite good.

It's just that bucket of sh*t that Honda contributed let's everything down.

Chassis seems on a par with some of the top teams.
      Hard to tell when it's parked up half the time.
      A proper engine might test the chassis more.
      That said. It must have good traction and mid/high speed corner speed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3799: May 14, 2017 12:36:08 am
      Chassis seems on a par with some of the top teams.
      Hard to tell when it's parked up half the time.
      A proper engine might test the chassis more.
      That said. It must have good traction and mid/high speed corner speed.

They've got some really talented people do McLaren like that Peter Prodromou fella who moved from Red Bull a couple of years back.

It's just that bucket of sh*t that Honda contribute that let's everything down. The diagnosis for yesterday's latest failure was that there was a 'hole in the engine'. Unbelievable!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3800: May 14, 2017 12:41:53 am
      They've got some really talented people do McLaren like that Peter Prodromou fella who moved from Red Bull a couple of years back.

It's just that bucket of sh*t that Honda contribute that let's everything down. The diagnosis for yesterday's latest failure was that there was a 'hole in the engine'. Unbelievable!

They've brought some tidy looking aero updates to Spain, but it's not much use if the engine isn't delivering.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3801: May 14, 2017 12:51:37 am
      They've brought some tidy looking aero updates to Spain, but it's not much use if the engine isn't delivering.

Yeah. Seems like a minor achievement for a McLaren to get to the grid of late.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3802: May 14, 2017 12:52:19 am
      Yeah. Seems like a minor achievement for a McLaren to get to the grid of late.

Even an outlap is impossible sometimes.
      Shambles.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #3803: May 14, 2017 01:54:54 am
      Stopped watching it long ago turned into a boring procession    The end of re fuelling killed it and the sh*t qualifing they got now ffs old Bernie knew when to bail out
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3804: May 14, 2017 02:09:44 pm
      This is an incredible race.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3805: May 14, 2017 02:09:50 pm
      What a race! I can't keep still  :lmao:  :couch:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3806: May 14, 2017 02:25:23 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3807: May 14, 2017 02:29:47 pm
      Stuck at work with zero coverage of race & footy :(
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3808: May 14, 2017 02:41:17 pm
      Stuck at work with zero coverage of race & footy :(

You've missed out today Shabs. Hammy won.  :champ: :champ: :champ:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3809: May 14, 2017 02:45:09 pm
      Football had to take a back seat while this played to its conclusion. What a race.

One of the greatest tactical battles I have seen in f1 between two great teams and two great drivers. Credit to Mercedes - they've called their tactics wrong more than right this season but that decision to pull Lewis in right at the end of the virtual safety car was inspired. All at an unbelievably scorching pace by the two of them. One of the best GP's I've seen in a long long time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3810: May 14, 2017 02:47:04 pm
      Football had to take a back seat while this played to its conclusion. What a race.

One of the greatest tactical battles I have seen in f1 between two great teams and two great drivers. Credit to Mercedes - they've called their tactics wrong more than right this season but that decision to pull Lewis in right at the end of the virtual safety car was inspired. All at an unbelievably scorching pace by the two of them. One of the best GP's I've seen in a long long time.

I switched to the match as soon as Lewis got by mate.

Was a formality for me then.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3811: May 14, 2017 02:52:15 pm
      I switched to the match as soon as Lewis got by mate.

Was a formality for me then.

Genuinely thought Lewis's tyres would run out by the end seeing as he was on the softer compound while Seb was on the harder. Mightily impressed by how Lewis managed to set the fastest lap on them just two laps from the end. Two drivers can be proud with their efforts - both pushed to the absolute limit. What a season this is turning into be.
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2017 02:57:08 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3812: May 14, 2017 03:41:21 pm

Absolutely Franky, unusual Ferrari get caught on the back foot with strategy calls. Vettel was asking how Hammy got 6 seconds back on him  :lmao: This race was great for the sport as a whole as I must be  the only one who wants Hammy to win boring races by a distance  ;D

Do you think when Vettel came out of his last pit stop he tried to squeeze Hammy out??
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3813: May 14, 2017 03:54:14 pm
      Absolutely Franky, unusual Ferrari get caught on the back foot with strategy calls. Vettel was asking how Hammy got 6 seconds back on him  :lmao: This race was great for the sport as a whole as I must be  the only one who wants Hammy to win boring races by a distance  ;D

Do you think when Vettel came out of his last pit stop he tried to squeeze Hammy out??

Definitely up there amongst Lewis's best and most hard fought victories.

I think it was fair racing by Vettel but then again I'm quite lenient with almost any racing that doesn't end up with someone in the wall or with a wing off!

Take another incident from the race - I personally hated the 'Verstappen rule' that was enforced last year where you weren't allowed to move twice across the race track. The overtake duel between Vettel and Bottas showed just how superb racing can be if the driver is allowed to use the track available to him. It may heighten the danger but then again, since when was F1 not dangerous?! I think Ross Brawn spending a career defending Schumacher's hard racing as his technical director has allowed him to come in in his new role as one of the new bosses of the sport and say to the stewards 'take it easy' :D

edit: Here it is
      https://twitter.com/F1/status/863782489545785344
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2017 04:50:14 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3814: May 14, 2017 05:10:23 pm
      Definitely up there amongst Lewis's best and most hard fought victories.

I think it was fair racing by Vettel but then again I'm quite lenient with almost any racing that doesn't end up with someone in the wall or with a wing off!

Take another incident from the race - I personally hated the 'Verstappen rule' that was enforced last year where you weren't allowed to move twice across the race track. The overtake duel between Vettel and Bottas showed just how superb racing can be if the driver is allowed to use the track available to him. It may heighten the danger but then again, since when was F1 not dangerous?! I think Ross Brawn spending a career defending Schumacher's hard racing as his technical director has allowed him to come in in his new role as one of the new bosses of the sport and say to the stewards 'take it easy' :D

edit: Here it is
      https://twitter.com/F1/status/863782489545785344

Agree mate.

I seen nothing wrong with Seb's racing there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3815: May 14, 2017 07:30:42 pm
      Worth noting - Red Bull of Ricciardo finished nearly a full lap behind Hamilton and Vettel. Mammoth gap and it just seems the car is not anywhere near the level we expected RB to be.

That title challenge I thought would emerge with Red Bull this season has not come to fruition. I know a lot of people will make the point that the Renault engine isn't integrated with the Red Bull chassis in the way it used to be given that Renault has its own works team again but I just wonder whether Newey's design capabilities become a lot less advantageous when the rules allow teams to really maximise downforce and grip levels. Before the rule changes in 2009 that saw aero levels reduced the last car he designed that was a title winning car before the 2010 Red Bull was the 1998 McLaren - a gap of 12 years. In that 12 years F1 really seemed to develop rapidly on the aero front with Rory Byrne and Ferrari in particular benefiting. Bar the odd car here and there (like the 2005 McLaren) Newey never really got a look in during the 00s era. But since the strict aero regulations were enforced from 2009 up until last year his talents really emerged and his exploitation of those stricter/less freer design rules were well cited. Seems to be the more reduced the aero levels are in the sport, the more prominent a figure Adrian Newey is but once all that aero is given back with the new extreme aero rules the less 'great' he looks.

Just a theory. And probably a sh*t one.

p.s - another FANTASTIC result for Force India. Amazing consistency by Ocon and Perez. Team of the season so far for me. Must be that fantastic pink paint job.
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2017 07:37:04 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3816: May 14, 2017 11:59:13 pm
      Worth noting - Red Bull of Ricciardo finished nearly a full lap behind Hamilton and Vettel. Mammoth gap and it just seems the car is not anywhere near the level we expected RB to be.

That title challenge I thought would emerge with Red Bull this season has not come to fruition. I know a lot of people will make the point that the Renault engine isn't integrated with the Red Bull chassis in the way it used to be given that Renault has its own works team again but I just wonder whether Newey's design capabilities become a lot less advantageous when the rules allow teams to really maximise downforce and grip levels. Before the rule changes in 2009 that saw aero levels reduced the last car he designed that was a title winning car before the 2010 Red Bull was the 1998 McLaren - a gap of 12 years. In that 12 years F1 really seemed to develop rapidly on the aero front with Rory Byrne and Ferrari in particular benefiting. Bar the odd car here and there (like the 2005 McLaren) Newey never really got a look in during the 00s era. But since the strict aero regulations were enforced from 2009 up until last year his talents really emerged and his exploitation of those stricter/less freer design rules were well cited. Seems to be the more reduced the aero levels are in the sport, the more prominent a figure Adrian Newey is but once all that aero is given back with the new extreme aero rules the less 'great' he looks.

Just a theory. And probably a sh*t one.

p.s - another FANTASTIC result for Force India. Amazing consistency by Ocon and Perez. Team of the season so far for me. Must be that fantastic pink paint job.

I think in this era of Formula 1 cars that the engine has been the biggest driver of performance.
      See Williams and Force India challenging the mega buck team of Red Bull.
      That said. I don't think Red Bull have called the new regs right AT ALL this season.
      Look at how aggressive Mercedes and Ferrari have gone on aero.
      Red Bull have gone down a different/wrong path of clean lines, less drag.
      They're months behind because of that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3817: May 15, 2017 12:29:34 am
      I think in this era of Formula 1 cars that the engine has been the biggest driver of performance.
      See Williams and Force India challenging the mega buck team of Red Bull.
      That said. I don't think Red Bull have called the new regs right AT ALL this season.
      Look at how aggressive Mercedes and Ferrari have gone on aero.
      Red Bull have gone down a different/wrong path of clean lines, less drag.
      They're months behind because of that.

Do you think they need to shake up the design philosophy there?

I'm not even certain the Red Bull is as comfortably the third best as it is showing. For me Ricciardo and Verstappen are possibly the fastest pairing on the grid but swap them with any other driver that isn't Hamilton or Vettel and the car will look even more unspectacular.

Quick Reply