Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572138 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4048: Aug 28, 2017 05:08:41 pm
      Knew I was forgetting something... :f_tongueincheek:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131488/honda-found-no-problem-with-alonso-engine

Honda implying that Alonso retired with no problem. Can't say I blame him but on the other hand one could say that it's this kind of temperament that has resulted in him remaining just a 2x world champion.

Alonso being a right arse & I'm totally off him, keep your mouth shut & do one at season end, nah I'll just mouth off the engine supplier on live on air. Tosser.

Damaged goods & crazy if Williams take him on..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4049: Aug 28, 2017 05:37:27 pm
      Alonso being a right arse & I'm totally off him, keep your mouth shut & do one at season end, nah I'll just mouth off the engine supplier on live on air. Tosser.

Damaged goods & crazy if Williams take him on..

That would be something else if he were to go to Williams and I would love it to be true even, as you say, it's something of a risky move given his reputation. But I wince every time I see Massa and Stroll underperforming every week in that car which can score much better so it's a no brainer for me!

Alonso is such a great great driver that you'd think it would seem a no brainer for Mercedes and Red Bull to sign him up or even Ferrari to take him back. I'm surprised even Renault are not sniffing him out. Given their status as a works team and the clear benefits that the works constructors have in this new hybrid power unit era they could easily find themselves challenging Ferrari and Mercedes in the near future. That would be a great move for him and yet the fact that neither of those teams mentioned seem to want him is (while aware of of his age is probably more indicative of the wider reputation he has cultivated within the sport which is less than positive. Ferrari could have easily taken him back and shunted Kimi out of the way but the way they made it so clear that such an event was never going to happen really indicates just how toxic and brattish Alonso had become in his last couple of seasons there.

Truth be told this has been obvious for the last decade given the way he responded to the challenge from Hamilton in his rookie year 10 years ago. His behaviour that year was something else. Has never really recovered from that mess.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4050: Sep 02, 2017 01:10:40 pm
      Love Monza, Hammy on the wet looks sure to get pole if it stays like this
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4051: Sep 02, 2017 01:17:10 pm
      Love Monza, Hammy on the wet looks sure to get pole if it stays like this

I'm a Ferrari fan but Hamilton is brilliant at the moment.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4052: Sep 02, 2017 01:24:01 pm
      Sensory overload for the drivers in these conditions. The concentration to feel for every little move that could end up with the car in the barrier and listen for every lift and trace the driest line with your eyes must be mentally exhausting!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4053: Sep 02, 2017 01:31:53 pm
      I'm a Ferrari fan but Hamilton is brilliant at the moment.

If Hammy was in Ferrari I'd be fan too  :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4054: Sep 02, 2017 03:09:56 pm
      Just waiting...wondering whether quali will actually get back underway.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4055: Sep 02, 2017 03:43:36 pm
      Hammer time
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4056: Sep 02, 2017 04:41:29 pm
      How does he do it.  :D I kid you not is there anyone in history as fast as Hammy on the wets?? Super exciting session and another record for Hammy.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4057: Sep 02, 2017 04:42:04 pm

Sure was. Blitzed it and the pole record with it. So many great performances out there - Stroll and Verstappen particularly*.

Stunned at how the Ferrari's just couldn't get the tyres to work in that last quali session. Very bad for them.

edit: Ocon as well. Superb!
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017 04:54:07 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4058: Sep 02, 2017 04:45:16 pm
      How does he do it.  :D I kid you not is there anyone in history as fast as Hammy on the wets?? Super exciting session and another record for Hammy.

Studied two of the greats of wet racing... Senna & Schumacher.

Kid is phenomenal.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4059: Sep 02, 2017 07:14:30 pm
      Let's be honest - the only figures in British sport worthy of sharing the same platform as Lewis is Andy Murray and Mo Farah. Yet others have received greater adulation for less. Much MUCH less. An incredible amount of snobbery in Britain towards F1 drivers especially Hamilton. But what does he care? He's got the trophies, the money, the fans and the worldwide appeal that others could only DREAM of!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4060: Sep 03, 2017 03:39:05 pm
      A nice Sunday afternoon drive for the Merc pair today. To be honest they could have started 9th and 10th and still have come through in a 1/2.

Meanwhile get ready for McLaren Renault.

https://twitter.com/WhenF1Was/status/904334114379227137
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4061: Sep 03, 2017 05:23:13 pm
      A nice Sunday afternoon drive for the Merc pair today. To be honest they could have started 9th and 10th and still have come through in a 1/2.

Meanwhile get ready for McLaren Renault.

https://twitter.com/WhenF1Was/status/904334114379227137

Honda have been crap..

Not help by that Palmer stalker Alonso.. Turning into a right F***ing tit him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4062: Sep 15, 2017 12:33:02 pm
      https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/908649736206376960

Confirmed: McLaren split from Honda (FINALLY) and will use Renault engines from next season in a three year deal. Honda will move to Toro Rosso with Carlos Sainz being released by Red Bull to join Renault next year as Hulkenberg's team mate.

Renault also plan to stop supplying Red Bull with engines after next year. Long overdue in my opinion given Horner and co's behaviour to pile the failures of winning a championship in the last 4 years on Renault despite the fact that during their dominant years they didn't give Renault an ounce of credit. Stick that in your pipe Christian.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4063: Sep 15, 2017 06:49:41 pm
      https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/908649736206376960

Confirmed: McLaren split from Honda (FINALLY) and will use Renault engines from next season in a three year deal. Honda will move to Toro Rosso with Carlos Sainz being released by Red Bull to join Renault next year as Hulkenberg's team mate.

Renault also plan to stop supplying Red Bull with engines after next year. Long overdue in my opinion given Horner and co's behaviour to pile the failures of winning a championship in the last 4 years on Renault despite the fact that during their dominant years they didn't give Renault an ounce of credit. Stick that in your pipe Christian.

It'll be interesting to see how McLaren get on with a better engine next season.

Red Bull to go with Honda in 2019 then do we think?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4064: Sep 15, 2017 07:55:27 pm
      It'll be interesting to see how McLaren get on with a better engine next season.

Red Bull to go with Honda in 2019 then do we think?

Looks possible if they can make it work with Toro Rosso. But Horner has hinted that a deal with Aston Martin could be struck which could be very interesting yet that would seem to be a couple of years ahead of schedule given that new manufacturers like Aston Martin are expected to enter the sport once the engine regulations are "simplified" in 2021. It's interesting that McLaren's deal with Renault is also only until 2021 so could there is perhaps scope there that shows that it is only a short term deal with McLaren keeping their options open in search of an exclusive works partner like VW or Porsche that did so well for them during the McLaren Mercedes days (and not so well during these recent McLaren Honda days!)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4065: Sep 15, 2017 10:17:27 pm
      Looks possible if they can make it work with Toro Rosso. But Horner has hinted that a deal with Aston Martin could be struck which could be very interesting yet that would seem to be a couple of years ahead of schedule given that new manufacturers like Aston Martin are expected to enter the sport once the engine regulations are "simplified" in 2021. It's interesting that McLaren's deal with Renault is also only until 2021 so could there is perhaps scope there that shows that it is only a short term deal with McLaren keeping their options open in search of an exclusive works partner like VW or Porsche that did so well for them during the McLaren Mercedes days (and not so well during these recent McLaren Honda days!)

I think it would be great to have more engine manufacturers in F1 so I hope the likes of Aston and Porsche do come in.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4066: Sep 15, 2017 10:47:52 pm
      I think it would be great to have more engine manufacturers in F1 so I hope the likes of Aston and Porsche do come in.

For sure. I suppose much will depend on how much the sport follows through on it's promise to deliver 'cheaper and simpler' engines when the proposed changes are delivered for 2021 which will hopefully see independent suppliers like Cosworth return to the sport as well as big names like Porsche, Aston Martin (even if they built their own engine alongside Red Bull) and even a return for BMW. Ross Brawn will have a tough trying to get that to happen but if there is anyone who can it's him!

Edit: But I think your suggestion of Red Bull going Honda seems the most likely given the costs and difficulties of these power units. It can only get better for Honda so ot may be a decent partnership a couple of years down the line.
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2017 12:19:44 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4067: Sep 16, 2017 12:52:59 am

For sure. I suppose much will depend on how much the sport follows through on it's promise to deliver 'cheaper and simpler' engines when the proposed changes are delivered for 2021 which will hopefully see independent suppliers like Cosworth return to the sport as well as big names like Porsche, Aston Martin (even if they built their own engine alongside Red Bull) and even a return for BMW. Ross Brawn will have a tough trying to get that to happen but if there is anyone who can it's him!

Edit: But I think your suggestion of Red Bull going Honda seems the most likely given the costs and difficulties of these power units. It can only get better for Honda so ot may be a decent partnership a couple of years down the line.

I'm all for more engine suppliers entering F1 and as a self-confessed Audi nut, I'd love to see them get involved with a works team. For years they were a relatively small car manufacturer but these days they are a major player so money shouldn't be a problem and Audi have a rich heritage in motorsport which I feel should be participating in the pinnacle of the sport which of course is Formula 1.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4068: Sep 16, 2017 01:22:49 am
      McLaren should have done this a while ago. Expect Alonso will end up staying now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4069: Sep 16, 2017 01:53:38 am
      I'm all for more engine suppliers entering F1 and as a self-confessed Audi nut, I'd love to see them get involved with a works team. For years they were a relatively small car manufacturer but these days they are a major player so money shouldn't be a problem and Audi have a rich heritage in motorsport which I feel should be participating in the pinnacle of the sport which of course is Formula 1.

It's interesting you say that because representatives from Audi have sat in on FIA arranged meetings in recent months to discuss changes to the engine regulations changes proposed for 2021. I remember a couple of years back a lot of talk regarding an exclusive partnership with Red Bull but that seemed to have died off quite a while back. I agree it'd be great to see them in f1 given their achievements elsewhere especially Le Mans!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4070: Sep 16, 2017 01:56:17 am
      I agree it'd be great to see them in f1 given their achievements elsewhere especially Le Mans!

Just a matter of time IMO

Quick Reply