Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572193 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4186: Feb 12, 2018 02:02:58 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4187: Feb 12, 2018 03:18:14 pm
      Can't come quick enough Frankly.  :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4188: Feb 12, 2018 03:28:12 pm
      No grid girls?..WTF is that all about then Liberty?..
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4189: Feb 12, 2018 03:55:02 pm
      Looking forward (I think?) to seeing how improved McLaren will be this season. Seriously hope they're not pathetic like they have been in recent years.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4190: Feb 12, 2018 05:04:03 pm
      No grid girls?..WTF is that all about then Liberty?..

Thought it was a bit of a storm in a tea cup myself but was surprised at the strength of reaction with regards to the decision to get rid of them. Then they replaced them with 'grid kids'...which sounds very dodgy upon first reading. It probably would have been better to announce the 'grid kids' before announcing they were getting rid of the grid girls and call them mascots like in football.

Looking forward (I think?) to seeing how improved McLaren will be this season. Seriously hope they're not pathetic like they have been in recent years.

Yeah same for me too. I really what Zak Brown has done to the outfit though. They're far less cynical and paranoid than they were under Dennis's totalitarian regime. They seem a really friendly, open and innovative team now despite the great challenge they face to return to the front of the grid.

I was recently looking through their last few seasons and it really has been a dire 5 years for them. They've had good cars in that period, good engines (Mercedes obviously in 2013 and 2014) and a world class driver in Alonso but they've never been able to ally all three elements together in that period. The final years with Mercedes in 2013 and 2014 were so poor because of a difficult poorly designed car, compounded further by the loss of Hamilton. And then the Honda partnership is probably one of the most disastrous ventures the sport has ever seen that just overwrote any good effort by the car design team and the drivers. Hard to comprehend just how much Honda let down some very talented designers at McLaren. At heart, last year's car was a really good one that was sadly sabotaged by Honda (sabotage is the only word to use!) so it will be interesting to see, with a (hopefully good) Renault engine how well they can do. If they can pair the two worlds of a good engine with a good car design then Alonso's ability alone is more than good enough to haul them up to the podiums.

It'd also be great if McLaren could slap on a decent livery as well for once! The last few liveries have been beyond dire - apt then for their overall on track performance! I'd love for the cars to sport the classic papaya orange that they replicated for Alonso's Indy500.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4191: Feb 12, 2018 09:45:23 pm

Yep I'm keen to see how they get on and also if Red Bull can improve again and close the gap on the front two.

Renault also intriguing with two very good drivers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4192: Feb 12, 2018 09:57:04 pm
      Yep I'm keen to see how they get on and also if Red Bull can improve again and close the gap on the front two.

Renault also intriguing with two very good drivers.

Verstappen for the 2018 championship Si?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4193: Feb 12, 2018 10:03:08 pm

I'd love that mate but I'm not sure Red Bull will improve enough especially if Lewis stays in his dominant form.

I think if anything Ferrari need to be watching over their shoulder at the Bulls as for me Max and Ricciardo are the best pair of drivers on the grid.

Carlos in the Renault interests me and if Renault can build on last season, improve the engine and chassis they could trouble the best of the rest.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4194: Feb 12, 2018 11:09:02 pm

Certainly hope not but if car matches the pace of Hammy & Vettel you most definitely can't rule him out. It's not if he can win the Championship it's when. I'm very biased as you know, Hammy all the way again.......... Hopefully  :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4195: Feb 12, 2018 11:11:59 pm

I'm inclined to lean towards that, I think it's only a matter of time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4196: Feb 12, 2018 11:18:04 pm
      I'd love that mate but I'm not sure Red Bull will improve enough especially if Lewis stays in his dominant form.

I think if anything Ferrari need to be watching over their shoulder at the Bulls as for me Max and Ricciardo are the best pair of drivers on the grid.

Carlos in the Renault interests me and if Renault can build on last season, improve the engine and chassis they could trouble the best of the rest.

Yeah it's a tricky one for Red Bull. I think the car they'll produce will be top notch but the Renault power unit still has a lot to make up to be seen on the level of the Merc and Ferrari engines. As the years go by since these hybrid engines were introduced you'd hope that it would have equalised out in terms of competition between Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault (and Honda) but that still feels optimistic at this stage. Oh to be back in the simpler V8/V10 era!

And yeah, it will be fascinating to see how the Renault team progress. Feels like the first time since Alonso left them in 2006 that that outfit has some serious talent on the track. All they needed was another top quality driver alongside Hulkenberg and in Sainz they definitely have that. He's terrific. That they're only the third major works outfit on the grid it will be interesting to see if they can ascend, in time, to the levels of Ferrari and Mercedes.

Certainly hope not but if car matches the pace of Hammy & Vettel you most definitely can't rule him out. It's not if he can win the Championship it's when. I'm very biased as you know, Hammy all the way again.......... Hopefully  :D

Yeah. Max reminds me of Schumacher. Relentless! Do you think Hamilton will have the motivation to snatch a 4th world title this year though? Last season was, in my opinion, his finest season in terms of performance. It was a genuine pleasure watching him drive (Monza qualifying anyone?!)! It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that up because it must be exhausting over time - he's been in a relentless battle for 4 years non stop so I just wonder whether it will take its toll.

I'm inclined to lean towards that, I think it's only a matter of time.

Certainly is. He was scarily good at the end of last season. Even with the second or third best car I just feel he's going to find a way to put himself amongst it this year.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2018 11:27:45 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4197: Feb 12, 2018 11:36:47 pm

Red Bull need to jump two teams and I'm not convinced they won't have a fight to stay top Renault team.

Mercedes changing concept the only real unknown. It might eliminate their weak circuits, or it might give Ferrari a slight edge.
      Given Allison is there I'd say they should be relatively hiccup free in that respect but the midseason mistake Ferrari made by
      not getting engines in before the oil burn restriction will also level out.

Still think it will be Mercedes/Ferrari but am looking forward to seeing what Red Bull/McLaren bring to the season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4198: Feb 13, 2018 12:14:32 am
      Red Bull need to jump two teams and I'm not convinced they won't have a fight to stay top Renault team.

Mercedes changing concept the only real unknown. It might eliminate their weak circuits, or it might give Ferrari a slight edge.
      Given Allison is there I'd say they should be relatively hiccup free in that respect but the midseason mistake Ferrari made by
      not getting engines in before the oil burn restriction will also level out.

Still think it will be Mercedes/Ferrari but am looking forward to seeing what Red Bull/McLaren bring to the season.

Interesting racer - do you think McLaren have something up their sleeve?

The Allison effect at Mercedes will be fascinating. An Aldo Costa/James Allison partnership - which could be something given that they worked at Ferrari under Brawn during the dominant Schumi years! Ominous even?!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4199: Feb 13, 2018 09:29:34 am
      I think Verstappen will have more motivation than Hammy simply because he's younger and more hungry for success. As we both know if red bull don't have the car the best he can hope for is third this year. He had plenty of end.

If red bull do pull the car out for this season and match the top two we're in for one of the best seasons ever. I hope they do as the excitement will only come second to United v Liverpool.  ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4200: Feb 13, 2018 09:56:11 am
      Interesting racer - do you think McLaren have something up their sleeve?

The Allison effect at Mercedes will be fascinating. An Aldo Costa/James Allison partnership - which could be something given that they worked at Ferrari under Brawn during the dominant Schumi years! Ominous even?!

Worst part of that is Ferrari had both of them only recently and let them go.
      The pairing is ominous alright. I would like to think Ferrari have learned from their mistakes last season.
      I don't think it's a case of McLaren having anything up their sleeve but rather it was accepted they built a good chassis last season and the engine was absolutely woeful from Honda.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4201: Feb 13, 2018 03:26:54 pm
      Worst part of that is Ferrari had both of them only recently and let them go.
      The pairing is ominous alright. I would like to think Ferrari have learned from their mistakes last season.
      I don't think it's a case of McLaren having anything up their sleeve but rather it was accepted they built a good chassis last season and the engine was absolutely woeful from Honda.

It's still unfathomable how they let Costa and Allison go. It's that kind of tempestuousness (even petulance) displayed (these days by Marchionne) that gives me doubts about their ability to sustain their challenge in the long run with little to no tolerance for error. Arrivabene's position seemed to be fragile only a couple of months back and that old climate of fear  that Brawn described was prevalent across the team before his arrival in the mid 90s seems to have crawled its way back in. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4202: Feb 19, 2018 06:19:01 pm
      I know it's not staying but the Red Bull camo livery looks awesome.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4203: Feb 20, 2018 10:39:32 pm
      I haven't come here in a while. Anyway, some random thoughts on recent races and the races to come.

Singapore last year was the decisive moment really. Vettel was under threat of a race ban at the time, so the incident he caused at the first corner was crazy. Singapore is a 2 hour anticlockwise 61 lap slog with regular safety cars. There was no need to put up a fight with either car alongside him on the first lap. Even if he was not first at the first corner, he could still have easily won the race or take a significant number of points. Instead he crashed and was playing catch up after that.

I'm happy Malaysia is gone. I never liked the circuit, there was never any atmosphere as the place was near deserted, and the time of the race was always awkward. The sunset race circuit in the UAE isn't the easiest place to overtake, but at least the location is stunning.

For the year coming, most of the times for the European races have been put back an hour. Liberty say it's to see more of the race build up, the reality is it will be stuffed with more tv commercials. Formula 1 has never been a woman friendly environment, but scrapping the grid girls makes it even more so, and was done to appeal to the PC friendly American audience.

That all pales in comparison though to the Halo gimmick on the cars. Like most F1 fans, I hate it, and don't think it will make racing any safer. In fact it could make it more dangerous, when a car ploughs into a tyre wall or barrier at 200mph. Until now, every driver was able to get out from a big accident quickly and easily. I think it will be rather more difficult when a car ends up in the likes of Eau Rouge or Degner 2. I think that once there is a big accident, common sense will see the gimmick come off the cars soon enough. I also think attendances and viewing figures will be lower this year, after people see it in action.

I don't support any driver or team, I just want to see close competitive unpredictable races, not see one team/driver stroll to yet another championship.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4204: Feb 21, 2018 04:00:53 pm
      2018/19 Colours.

Williams

HAAS

RedBull

Renault

Sauber

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43108581
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4205: Feb 21, 2018 04:15:38 pm
      I know it's not staying but the Red Bull camo livery looks awesome.

Agreed. They know how to make a splash at times do Red Bull. Like the black and yellow wasp look of the new Renault as above in RedPuppy's post. Hopefully it runs as well as it looks! Williams car looks a lot different from last year's (which looked really really tame) but this new one under Paddy Lowe's leadership definitely is a big transformation.

Sauber Alfa Romeo livery is a big disappointment - crap even. The one Racer did on here and the mock up version by Sean Bull on twitter were infinitely more attractive.

https://twitter.com/seanbulldesign/status/965857932624695296
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4206: Feb 21, 2018 05:49:21 pm
      Actually the best design seen all winter goes to Fernando Alonso's new helmet!

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/966320634472091648
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4207: Feb 21, 2018 08:47:42 pm
      Agreed. They know how to make a splash at times do Red Bull. Like the black and yellow wasp look of the new Renault as above in RedPuppy's post. Hopefully it runs as well as it looks! Williams car looks a lot different from last year's (which looked really really tame) but this new one under Paddy Lowe's leadership definitely is a big transformation.

Sauber Alfa Romeo livery is a big disappointment - crap even. The one Racer did on here and the mock up version by Sean Bull on twitter were infinitely more attractive.

Renault looks great.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4208: Feb 22, 2018 12:09:41 am

Agree, and not just about mine being better.
      That Alfa Romeo Sauber needs more red.

Loving the Renault.
      Proper integration of the halo.
      First one that hasn't put me off.

Quick Reply