Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1

Read 572374 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4255: Mar 26, 2018 10:04:20 am
      Can see 1st and 2nd being sealed as Hamilton and Vettel. Think the most interesting bit will be the battle for 3rd, more so than 1st or 2nd. Hopefully Alonso will be in the mix but whether he is or not, think it’s going to be very close for 3rd between Kimi and the Red Bulls.

Last couple years I got a bit bored with the F1. McLaren were an embarrassment and every race was becoming far too predictable, this season though, think it’s going to be a good one.

Alonso & McLaren were fortunate to finish 5th after the retirements of the Haas drivers...I can't see McLaren offering much this season...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4256: Mar 26, 2018 07:21:25 pm
      Alonso & McLaren were fortunate to finish 5th after the retirements of the Haas drivers...I can't see McLaren offering much this season...

Unless the upgrades to the car that are due to come within the next couple of races are astoundingly brilliant, Alonso's proclamations that 'Red Bull are next' are a little hopeful when you consider that after the safety car Ricciardo had opened up a 20 second lead over Alonso from the end of the safety car period to the chequered flag. On the basis of that race yesterday a more realistic target at this stage would be to tackle Haas who very much appear to be the 4th best team out there.

Also want to say that it was slightly depressing having to see Hamilton give up the attack a few laps from the end because of fears and a need to preserve the engine. Likewise with Verstappen only being allowed to max out his car's capabilities three laps from the end when trying to overtake Alonso. The three engines only rule over the course of the season is going to kill competition for fear of incurring a penalty and is yet more evidence of the stupidity that runs throughout this sport at times.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4257: Mar 27, 2018 01:16:58 am

I’m not saying they will be offering anything, Im saying hopefully he can, I’m very much on the fence over the improvements of the team being as substantial as they maybe think.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4258: Mar 27, 2018 11:48:36 am
      A 'very good driver'. Yeah and a bit more.

No offence but your comment seems alittle bit dismissive at best, ignorance at worst. It suggests that all he has to do is turn up while acknowledging nothing of how he has been probably the single most important individual in bringing that team from winning a couple of GPs a season 5 years ago to dominating the entire year as they do now. How his speed informs development and how the engineering is perfected to meet his preferences takes more effort from driver and team than you seem to be aware of!

The very best will find themselves in the best cars - fact. The best car with the best driver will win as Lewis has proved in recent times. But you can't have a great car if you don't have a great driver.

Anyhow that pole lap was nothing short of breathtaking! That man is turning speed into an art form!

Nonsense, in F1 the best car is everything as illustrated by Damon Hill's winning season, where he only just managed to fend off his rookie partner.
      Hamilton is a good driver but I'd still put Senna and Schumacher ahead of him and probably quite a lot of others as well.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4259: Mar 27, 2018 01:14:49 pm
      Nonsense, in F1 the best car is everything as illustrated by Damon Hill's winning season, where he only just managed to fend off his rookie partner.
      Hamilton is a good driver but I'd still put Senna and Schumacher ahead of him and probably quite a lot of others as well.

I certainly can't think of many (if any) drivers better than Hammy. Can see your point with Senna & Schumacher though. You could argue a case with those two. However, who could you name after those them??

You only get the best cars when you've proven or shown ability of reaching the top. If Hammy retired this season Mercedes would do what ever they could to get the services of Verstappen into their car.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4260: Mar 27, 2018 02:05:10 pm
      I certainly can't think of many (if any) drivers better than Hammy. Can see your point with Senna & Schumacher though. You could argue a case with those two. However, who could you name after those them??

You only get the best cars when you've proven or shown ability of reaching the top. If Hammy retired this season Mercedes would do what ever they could to get the services of Verstappen into their car.

Hmm the thing about the best drivers getting the best cars is not really true, just look at poor Alonso who has had to drive a piece of sh*t car for many seasons now, when he had the same car as Hamilton they were toe to toe. Even Vettel had to be patient with Ferrari but is finally getting a good car now. Its a bit of potluck regarding getting the best car, hence Button in his winning season, despite nobody ever suggesting he was the best driver.
      Bottom line Hamilton is a very good driver but I'm not even convinced he's the best of the current crop, I actually rate Vettel as more consistent although Hamilton is the better instinctive racer.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4261: Mar 27, 2018 02:46:57 pm
      Hmm the thing about the best drivers getting the best cars is not really true, just look at poor Alonso who has had to drive a piece of sh*t car for many seasons now, when he had the same car as Hamilton they were toe to toe. Even Vettel had to be patient with Ferrari but is finally getting a good car now. Its a bit of potluck regarding getting the best car, hence Button in his winning season, despite nobody ever suggesting he was the best driver.
      Bottom line Hamilton is a very good driver but I'm not even convinced he's the best of the current crop, I actually rate Vettel as more consistent although Hamilton is the better instinctive racer.

Valid point regarding Alonso but he was a victim of his own circumstances. His career went pear shape after the 2007 Hungary gate tape in my eyes. With also a bad decision on changing stables for me he got what he deserved, karma is sweet on this occasion.

If it's a question ( in your eyes ) Hammy having the best car then what's Bottas excuse for being so poor?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4262: Mar 27, 2018 02:50:58 pm
      Valid point regarding Alonso but he was a victim of his own circumstances. His career went pear shape after the 2007 Hungary gate tape in my eyes. With also a bad decision on changing stables for me he got what he deserved, karma is sweet on this occasion.

If it's a question ( in your eyes ) Hammy having the best car then what's Bottas excuse for being so poor?

Bottas quite simply isn't that good a driver, plus Hamilton will have preferential treatment in that team, he best engineers etc. Whenever Hamilton has had a competitive teammate he has either lost or been pushed right to the final race.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4263: Mar 27, 2018 03:25:23 pm
      Bottas quite simply isn't that good a driver, plus Hamilton will have preferential treatment in that team, he best engineers etc. Whenever Hamilton has had a competitive teammate he has either lost or been pushed right to the final race.

Frankly will know better than me but don't they swap engineers? There's certainly (imo) no preferential treat me beginning of the season as they both start on a even keel. Granted when one has more points than the other at a given stage team orders/decisions then come into play.

I do believe preferential treatment goes on at Ferrari though. Vettel is defo No1
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4264: Mar 27, 2018 04:41:00 pm
      Frankly will know better than me but don't they swap engineers? There's certainly (imo) no preferential treat me beginning of the season as they both start on a even keel. Granted when one has more points than the other at a given stage team orders/decisions then come into play.

I do believe preferential treatment goes on at Ferrari though. Vettel is defo No1

Oh come on now Keith, of course Lewis has preferential treatment, as indeed he should have, he's the star, Bottas is the assistant.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4265: Mar 27, 2018 06:04:49 pm
      Oh come on now Keith, of course Lewis has preferential treatment, as indeed he should have, he's the star, Bottas is the assistant.

Well we do agree on something. Hammy is a star.  ;D so you've gone from saying he's a good driver to a star now.  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though, I haven't seen a incident where Hammy has been favourtized unless he's been leader which works both way as you'll know. Can you tell me of one?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4266: Mar 27, 2018 06:31:08 pm

Totally with Keith on this one. Hamilton rightly deserves his status as the best driver since Senna and Schumacher. If we were to choose the three greatest displays of driving in f1 in the last 30 years I think many would choose the wet weather master classes of Senna at Donington in 93, Schumacher at the Circuit De Catalunya in 1996 and Hamilton at Silverstone in 2008. The records can tell us a lot about those three drivers but to really believe it you have to have seen them in the trickiest of conditions and nothing strengthens my belief in Hamilton's status than when I think back to that July afternoon when he finished almost a full lap ahead of the guys he shared the podium with.

It also must be said that he's never shirked from having a quality team mate alongside him, something that probably stems from his experience of going head to head with Alonso from the moment the lights went out on his first Grand Prix back in Melbourne 2007. Yes, Button and Rosberg have beaten him in past seasons but that is a reflection on the quality of those two drivers as well as (speaking honestly here) certain reliability and mental fragilities on Hamilton's side that interrupted his own unique talents in those two seasons. One thing Button and Rosberg would probably agree on that is almost universal is that on his day Hamilton is the faster driver. Lewis has only ever had one poor driver as his team mate and that was Heikki Kovalainen in 2008 and 2009. Heikki was in fact so far behind Lewis when they both drove for McLaren that I can't ever think of a situation where he was in a position to sabotage his own result in favour of delivering a better one for Lewis.

As for Bottas, he isn't a poor driver. He's an excellent driver. Not world championship material and certainly lacks the raw speed that Rosberg had but on a good day is probably in that Barrichello/Coulthard rank of driver - a strong and reliable team mate capable of pushing his superior team mate and putting on the occasional standout display but incapable of tying together a full season of such performances.  The leading drivers may receive first shot on upgrades as is right and proper but on track Lewis has never benefitted from preferential treatment over Bottas. Look at Bahrain last year - Lewis was the much faster car before the first round of pit stops and yet was stuck behind Bottas and had to follow him into the pits with no order from the pitwall to Bottas to move over and hence losing him the opportunity of taking on his championship rival Vettel for p1. And then Hungary? Lewis Hamilton pulling over at the end to give a place back to Bottas after being waved through by his Finnish team mate even though it could potentially have been devastating to his chances in what was then a tight championship battle with Vettel.

As for Alonso driving sh*t cars, again I take Keith's line on this one - his current situation is an indictment on his past behaviour when driving with the top teams. And it's not as if he's served a whole career without the best car. Barring Red Bull he has driven for every top team in the sport and with the exception of Renault, has spurned those opportunities because of his behaviour. I really respect the guy and I'd love nothing more to see him back at the top but I am honest in saying that his current status is as much down to him as anything else.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4267: Mar 27, 2018 08:39:14 pm

Fortunate...?? F**kin jammy c**t... Kimi was Hamilton's only danger, and if he had won the F1 season would have been wide open... Just think that Ferrari gets away with to much sh*t especially under Ecclestone the old c**t
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018 08:46:27 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4268: Mar 27, 2018 09:05:06 pm

As for Alonso driving sh*t cars, again I take Keith's line on this one - his current situation is an indictment on his past behaviour when driving with the top teams. And it's not as if he's served a whole career without the best car. Barring Red Bull he has driven for every top team in the sport and with the exception of Renault, has spurned those opportunities because of his behaviour. I really respect the guy and I'd love nothing more to see him back at the top but I am honest in saying that his current status is as much down to him as anything else.

His continued militant attitude with the white collars gets him in hot water every time. He can't change habit of a life time and for that reason I'm note sure he will ever get a top car again. No doubting his ability though as up there with the best on his day.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4269: Apr 07, 2018 04:54:36 pm
      Both McLarens out qualified by Force India and Toro Rosso who were nowhere in Melbourne. Dire. Will start 13th and 14th which would be 14th and 15th were it not for Verstappen's off.
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018 05:03:33 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4270: Apr 07, 2018 05:12:36 pm
      Ferrari 1/2 for the grid tomorrow with Vettel on pole. Hamilton only managing 4th behind his team mate which will be 9th after grid penalty for gearbox change. A day to forget for him, he simply has not hooked it up this weekend irregardless of the gearbox change.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4271: Apr 07, 2018 05:13:48 pm
      Ferrari 1/2 for the grid tomorrow with Vettel on pole. Hamilton only managing 4th behind his team mate which will be 9th after grid penalty for gearbox change. A day to forget for him, he simply has not hooked it up this weekend irregardless of the gearbox change.

Hammy not stepped out of second gear all week.  :(
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4272: Apr 07, 2018 05:47:59 pm
      Hammy not stepped out of second gear all week.  :(

Fancy Lewis for a podium slot.. If not winning it..Lewis more dangerous from the back..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #4273: Apr 07, 2018 05:53:01 pm
      Both McLarens out qualified by Force India and Toro Rosso who were nowhere in Melbourne. Dire. Will start 13th and 14th which would be 14th and 15th were it not for Verstappen's off.

Disappointing.

Cracking run from Gasly in the Toro Rosso and with Lewis grid penalty he starts 5th.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4274: Apr 08, 2018 05:55:43 pm
      Great race but I'm sure Bottas will regret not having an earlier go at Vettel. He seemed to make a bit of a meal of getting through traffic in comparison to Vettel.

Amazing result by Gasly in 4th. The sort of result that will turn heads all round the f1 paddock!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4275: Apr 08, 2018 06:15:25 pm
      Great race but I'm sure Bottas will regret not having an earlier go at Vettel. He seemed to make a bit of a meal of getting through traffic in comparison to Vettel.

Amazing result by Gasly in 4th. The sort of result that will turn heads all round the f1 paddock!

Honda will be pleased...

Fantastic from Seb & Bottas should have closed him down much sooner..

9th to 3rd not bad for Lewis..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4276: Apr 08, 2018 08:03:04 pm
      Honda will be pleased...

Fantastic from Seb & Bottas should have closed him down much sooner..

9th to 3rd not bad for Lewis..

Best result for Honda in the hybrid era that apparently.

Lewis raced well - taking those three cars on the first corner early on was a great bit of racing. If the roles were reversed and Lewis found himself in Bottas's position he would have taken Vettel I'm sure. But Seb did brilliantly especially spending that long on the soft tyres with the pressure behind so he's a deserved winner this weekend. Feel bad for Kimi and the Ferrari wheel man whose leg is badly broken. Kimi's speed throughout these first two weekends of this season has deserved a lot more than a solitary third place in Melbourne.

And what an atrocious weekend for Williams. I suppose that's what you get when you put two inexperienced pay drivers in at the helm.  Having one is fine if the other is experienced but even then, I didn't expect them to be this poor. They've got a good technical team with Paddy Lowe heading the operation but there's only so much they can do with the design of the car if the drivers on the track are completely unfit to extract maximum performance and develop the car further.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4277: Apr 09, 2018 07:33:44 am

I'll say this much, if it was Hamilton behind Vettel then I can assure you Hammer time would of took its cause. Bottas blew it, simply isn't good enough I'm afraid. Looking at where Hammy started and finish he still stands out as the best driver by a mile.

Quick Reply