Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572047 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4278: Apr 09, 2018 10:48:13 pm
      First two races down.

As for the latest "new era" of the sport, I think the on screen graphics are generally very poor. I use the on board/interactive features, which are less in number than last year and of poorer quality. In the car, the halo gimmick lessens the challenge, and obscures the driver's vision for the start lights and the pit lane lights. Indeed the most notable incidents of the races so far have come in the pit lane, and a serious injury. Halo was allegedly designed to reduce accidents, not contribute to them. Ecclestone has already turned up in the paddock to voice his disapproval at the changes made.

China is the next race, the first major challenging track of the season, with the first corner and the hairpin at the end of the long back straight, sure to provide plenty of overtaking opportunities. Hamilton is the favourite to win of course, but he needs to, or Vettel could open up a big lead before the circus moves back to Europe.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4279: Apr 09, 2018 11:49:12 pm
      First two races down.

As for the latest "new era" of the sport, I think the on screen graphics are generally very poor. I use the on board/interactive features, which are less in number than last year and of poorer quality. In the car, the halo gimmick lessens the challenge, and obscures the driver's vision for the start lights and the pit lane lights. Indeed the most notable incidents of the races so far have come in the pit lane, and a serious injury. Halo was allegedly designed to reduce accidents, not contribute to them. Ecclestone has already turned up in the paddock to voice his disapproval at the changes made.

China is the next race, the first major challenging track of the season, with the first corner and the hairpin at the end of the long back straight, sure to provide plenty of overtaking opportunities. Hamilton is the favourite to win of course, but he needs to, or Vettel could open up a big lead before the circus moves back to Europe.

Yeah I tend to agree, you'd of thought with the new American look it would be more advanced changes that we're seeing but unfortunately that isn't the case. You could argue I'm old school though and never liked change really.

Hammy not off to the best of starts but we all know cream rises to the top. Vettel won't have it his own way in China that's for sure. Bring it on.  :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4280: Apr 09, 2018 11:52:50 pm
      Faster than F1, but not eligible for any series.
      919 bowing out flat out.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWkj3yvfWs
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4281: Apr 10, 2018 12:27:33 am
      I'll say this much, if it was Hamilton behind Vettel then I can assure you Hammer time would of took its cause. Bottas blew it, simply isn't good enough I'm afraid. Looking at where Hammy started and finish he still stands out as the best driver by a mile.

Lewis needs Ricardo in the Merc next to him, Rosberg bought the best out of Lewis & I think Riccardo would too, If I were Wolff I would be sounding out the Aussie.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4282: Apr 10, 2018 10:40:05 am
      Lewis needs Ricardo in the Merc next to him, Rosberg bought the best out of Lewis & I think Riccardo would too, If I were Wolff I would be sounding out the Aussie.

Mercedes are finding out that they have a problem where they are 1 v 2 against Ferrari.
      Allowing Ferrari to split strategies, which is how Vettel won in Australia.

Bottas under pressure to perform and if he can't then Mercedes need somebody who can.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4283: Apr 11, 2018 07:35:42 am
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      Yeah I tend to agree, you'd of thought with the new American look it would be more advanced changes that we're seeing but unfortunately that isn't the case. You could argue I'm old school though and never liked change really.

Hammy not off to the best of starts but we all know cream rises to the top. Vettel won't have it his own way in China that's for sure. Bring it on.  :)

When Rosberg won the first 4 races, he ended up with the Championship. Vettel should have won it last year, but lost the plot in Singapore and was running up a hill after that. But he's won 3 of the last 4 races, and he will be very competitive again this year.

I didn't quite get the reception the Bahrain race got. To me, it looked a fairly straight forward lights to flag victory for Vettel, with just 3 retirements. But I don't rate the circuit in general, it looks and sounds soulless, and I find most of the Grand Prix there processional. Even the track invasion at the end seemed lacklustre compared to other places.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4284: Apr 11, 2018 08:59:21 am

I didn't quite get the reception the Bahrain race got. To me, it looked a fairly straight forward lights to flag victory for Vettel, with just 3 retirements. But I don't rate the circuit in general, it looks and sounds soulless, and I find most of the Grand Prix there processional. Even the track invasion at the end seemed lacklustre compared to other places.

It does look very artificial and more fitting look on a play station game to me. It's my least favourite track. I just can't get into like I do when at Canada, Hungary,Great Britian, Australia but to name a few.  :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4285: Apr 11, 2018 10:17:31 pm
      It does look very artificial and more fitting look on a play station game to me. It's my least favourite track. I just can't get into like I do when at Canada, Hungary,Great Britian, Australia but to name a few.  :D

Yeah I really don't like it either. Decent for on track entertainment but a vacuous passionless hole of a place. Sochi though - that takes some beating in terms of the worst places F1 has ever been to. An absolute sh*t hole of a venue and an abysmal track as well - last year's race was one of the worst GPs I can ever remember. I genuinely think tracks like those are as big a turn off for fans as any of the politics that occurs in the sport. Bring back Buenos Aires, San Marino (how I'd love for F1 to go back there) and perhaps add an extra GP in the USA which definitely seems to be Liberty's plans.

One of the things you want to take away from f1, certainly from watching it on tv, is that vibrant, historic imagery where the track seemingly grows out of its surroundings and Bahrain with a few other tracks just doesn't offer that. There's none of that epic, ampitheatre feel of Monza, the lush green fields of Silverstone, the rolling forests of Spa or the sheer glamour of Monte Carlo. Even if the Grand Prixs at those venues are poor you can always excuse it because of how beautiful and steeped in history those venues are. That two week double header in September of Spa and then Monza is for me the peak of the f1 season. 
      « Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018 10:26:22 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4286: Apr 12, 2018 08:52:20 am
      Brazil has to be the worst around atm, due to how dangerous the place is. Muggings and burglaries are almost an annual ritual. You don't really get that in Sochi or anywhere else tbh.

If you look at the tracks today, a lot of the older ones are ruined. If you go off the first corner at Silverstone, you just get back on again. When Senna went off at the first chicane at Monza, they lost their only race of 1988. When Hakkinen went out, he turned on the waterworks. When Hill clipped the tyre barrier, he could have lost the world title. If you go off there now, you just tiptoe around a few bollards and carry on. Look at Hockenheim today, and how it has been turned from a 7km forest into an elaborate karting track, that doesn't make money. The challenge just isn't the same.

And that's before you consider the halo...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4287: Apr 12, 2018 10:58:54 am
      Brazil has to be the worst around atm, due to how dangerous the place is. Muggings and burglaries are almost an annual ritual. You don't really get that in Sochi or anywhere else tbh.

If you look at the tracks today, a lot of the older ones are ruined. If you go off the first corner at Silverstone, you just get back on again. When Senna went off at the first chicane at Monza, they lost their only race of 1988. When Hakkinen went out, he turned on the waterworks. When Hill clipped the tyre barrier, he could have lost the world title. If you go off there now, you just tiptoe around a few bollards and carry on. Look at Hockenheim today, and how it has been turned from a 7km forest into an elaborate karting track, that doesn't make money. The challenge just isn't the same.

Hockenheim through the forest was glorious.
      The stadium section is still great, but nothing will come close to that blast out through the forest.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4288: Apr 12, 2018 03:57:21 pm

I really don't get that thinking. You can't say you hate Bahrain because of how boring a track it is and then similarly judge Interlagos but by completely different standards. Bizarre. Interlagos is an incredible track and the Brazilian supporters are amazing - one of the highlights of the motor racing calendar. How anyone could prefer Sochi over Sao Paulo on the basis of 'security' is beyond comprehension. The actions of a few criminals doesn't define the place. By that logic then all sporting events should be banned in Sao Paulo. But it won't because it's a great city with amazing sporting history and the decades have shown that, despite it's crime, it's reputation as a sporting event stands above all else.

As for Silverstone and Monza - both tracks are still the challenge for racing drivers as they are and both still are as vibrant in the fans passion and knowledge for the sport as any year before, first corner changes or not.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2018 04:10:59 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4289: Apr 12, 2018 04:30:45 pm
      Hockenheim through the forest was glorious.
      The stadium section is still great, but nothing will come close to that blast out through the forest.

Agree.

I do like some of the new circuits and most of them have something memorable about them but for me F1 is all about the likes of Spa, Monza, Silverstone etc.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4290: Apr 14, 2018 10:58:18 am
      Well this is getting serious now for Mercedes and Hamilton! Another Ferrari 1/2 with Vettel on pole with Bottas and Hamilton 3rd and 4th respectively. Mercedes were adamant that they had scrubbed out the 'diva' qualities from last year's car but this year they're cropping up everywhere.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4291: Apr 14, 2018 11:15:00 am
      Well this is getting serious now for Mercedes and Hamilton! Another Ferrari 1/2 with Vettel on pole with Bottas and Hamilton 3rd and 4th respectively. Mercedes were adamant that they had scrubbed out the 'diva' qualities from last year's car but this year they're cropping up everywhere.

I fancy Lewis for the win regardless of his start position, Bottas needs to step up & help in the battle as Lewus cannot take on both Ferraris alone..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4292: Apr 14, 2018 11:58:45 am
      I fancy Lewis for the win regardless of his start position, Bottas needs to step up & help in the battle as Lewus cannot take on both Ferraris alone..

Your more optimistic than me, hope your right Shabs.   :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4293: Apr 14, 2018 12:39:58 pm

Yep. If he shows the speed he usually has then I'd go further and say move Bottas out of the way because Lewis will be a better attack on the Ferraris. Really couldn't care less about Mercedes hollow 'we let them fight' and 'there are no team orders here' schtick. Ferrari know how to play the team orders game and it's time Mercedes start doing it now because they're going to need to start limiting this big advantage Seb has already. Nothing has even hinted that Bottas is world title challenging stuff so might as well start being honest with themselves.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4294: Apr 14, 2018 02:33:42 pm
      Take a look at McLaren failing yet again in qualifying. Now that Honda are out of the scene the camera moves firmly onto Eric Boullier and Tim Goss when failure likes this occurs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4295: Apr 15, 2018 08:20:33 am
      Arrrhhhhaaa think Hammy not coming into pit during safety car may cost us.  ???
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4296: Apr 15, 2018 09:06:00 am
      Who said F1 is boring.  :lmao:

Best race of the season for excitement alone. Verstappen can be a fool onto himself sometimes but I wouldn't knock him too much as you know he's capable of anything.  ;D Only youthanasia can be his down fall   :D

As thought th safety car was the defining moment as played right into red bulls eyes. Stewards enquiry needs taking place if the mercs could of pitted at the same time. Well pleased for Ricciardo as was due a change of luck.

Should imagine Vettel is steaming but don't have a problem with that.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4297: Apr 15, 2018 09:13:47 am
      Enquiry already done... Toto just said it was their mistake.  :-\ They thought track position was more important.  :(
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4298: Apr 16, 2018 10:14:39 am
      3 races in. No Mercedes win.
      WTF is happening. :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4299: Apr 16, 2018 04:31:53 pm
      3 races in. No Mercedes win.
      WTF is happening. :D

Ha ha! No one predicted that, certainly not pre season! Must be 5 years since that happened.

Ricciardo's ability to win races late on after safety car periods is just sublime. If he doesn't win a championship at some point in his career then he'll be the best driver never to have won one. Surprised at Verstappen's ragged start to the season. He was immense at the end of last year but I suppose this sort of phase is to be expected of someone who is still so young. Still - Daniel's win will give pause for thought to the Red Bull hierarchy who seemed, in recent months, to be putting all their eggs in Verstappen's basket.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4300: Apr 24, 2018 06:38:44 pm
      Safety first

Quick Reply