Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572194 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4577: Oct 06, 2018 08:53:00 am
      Another mind boggling display of ineptitude by Ferrari F***ing up on tyres and Seb starting 9th. They really are rapidly falling apart. Despite the mistakes Vettel has made this season under pressure by Hamilton he still deserves something a bit better from his team.

Hamilton with pole no.80. Rear gunner is next to him on the grid - could turn the wick down on his engine if he likes providing they cover Max at the start.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4578: Oct 06, 2018 10:25:31 am
      Another mind boggling display of ineptitude by Ferrari f**king up on tyres and Seb starting 9th. They really are rapidly falling apart. Despite the mistakes Vettel has made this season under pressure by Hamilton he still deserves something a bit better from his team.

Hamilton with pole no.80. Rear gunner is next to him on the grid - could turn the wick down on his engine if he likes providing they cover Max at the start.

'Twas music to my ears frankly  :D Hammy on the verge of 5 TIMES!! It just doesn't get any better than this. Vettel once again struggled under the pressure and wasn't helped by team tactics.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4579: Oct 06, 2018 08:10:56 pm
      Set my alarm for 6am. Anyone else getting up early for this one.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4580: Oct 06, 2018 08:29:58 pm
      Set my alarm for 6am. Anyone else getting up early for this one.

Yeah I think I'll get up for this one. Seen some great early morning racing from Japan down the years. Particular memories of Michael (given I was a hardcore Schumacher fan!) at his peak and ending Hakkinen's hold on the title in 2000 but then the heartbreak of him retiring in 2006 in his battle with Alonso just as ITV went to an ad break. Adverts finished to find out it was all over. And of course there was the tragedy of Jules Bianchi in 2014 which left everyone feeling awful where our worst fears were ultimately realised. I recall an incredible drive in challenging conditions from Lewis where he taught Rosberg a thing or two. That all felt irrelevant at the end.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4581: Oct 07, 2018 06:08:03 am
      It's Hammer time.... Let's go!!!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4582: Oct 07, 2018 06:11:34 am
      Quote from RedPuppy
      Quite a boring race and dreadful track. It's a shame team orders are allowed, as team mates are restricted from racing, and this is killing the top end of the sport, nothing against LH, but he can't have taken any joy from that... can he?

Don't know what Bottas has to complain about tbh. This is the time of year when you pay for earlier mistakes in the season, when you're not in the championship fight and your teammate is. Maybe if he didn't crash in Australia, or challenged for the win in Bahrain, or overtook Hamilton in Hockenheim, or hold onto the lead in Silverstone, he would still be in the championship  now, and wouldn't move over for Hamilton at this stage of the season.

The Sochi track imo is stunning visually. It may not bring the most exciting races, but there haven't been many thrillers since Hockenheim, now that Hamilton has stepped it up a notch as expected, and left the rest to fight for the rest of the points.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4583: Oct 07, 2018 06:27:13 am

Nice start for him. Excellent start for Seb from 9th.

Magnussen reminding us that we all have to put up with him and his dick head team mate for ANOTHER year after another moronic move. Thankfully only he paid for it. I really dislike Haas because of those pair. A pair of liabilities who are, more than any other drivers, a danger to their fellow racers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4584: Oct 07, 2018 06:32:29 am
      Vettel and Max hit! Replay definitely puts it on Seb's shoulders. Desperate move! To the back he goes and surely that is it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4585: Oct 07, 2018 07:07:13 am
      Vettel and Max hit! Replay definitely puts it on Seb's shoulders. Desperate move! To the back he goes and surely that is it.

Vettel continues to show kinks in his armour with yet more mistakes. Think he can hope for 4th at best today.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4586: Oct 07, 2018 07:44:22 am
      The neutrals may say boring race. However, if your a Hammy fan it was perfect.  ;D Apparantly 8 more points needed than Vettel in next race and Lewis is crowned World Champion.

May have to change Hammy time to (( 5 Times  :D ))
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #4587: Oct 07, 2018 08:16:34 am
      The neutrals may say boring race. However, if your a Hammy fan it was perfect.  ;D Apparantly 8 more points needed than Vettel in next race and Lewis is crowned World Champion.

You JUST CAN'T change to 5 times Keith, remember the European Cup/Champions League!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4588: Oct 07, 2018 11:25:28 am
      You JUST CAN'T change to 5 times Keith, remember the European Cup/Champions League!

That's why i said it  :D In future when talking to my scouse mates and they say 5 times i will now know they're reffering to Hammy  :D

PS,,Can now say didn't know you were a F1 fan  ;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #4589: Oct 07, 2018 11:32:29 am
      Been a big fan since watching Hunt & Lauda chase each back in the 70's, can't see Hammy being beaten to the title and think he'll outdo Schumi in the title stakes eventually as well!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4590: Oct 07, 2018 11:32:54 am

I thought there was some great midfield action that certainly grabbed my attention for most the race. Not a classic by any means but alright.

It's incredible how things have changed dramatically since that moment Vettel slid into the barriers in Germany. Not many back then would have betted that the title would be more or less over with a handful of races to go. But for me the relentless performance of Lewis and his team has broken Vettel and Ferrari. Desperate decision making like putting the wrong tyres on for quali yesterday and then Seb's slightly bizarre move on Max today has highlighted that further.

For Lewis, he's never driven better and with the possible exception of Max, it's hard to see another driver on the grid who will operate on this level of performance in future. I think Max will get there but it will be a few years yet. Schumacher during the Ferrari peak years at the start of the millennium was probably the last man to do it.

Lewis deserves to be held in the same debate and breath as Michael and Senna now. That in itself is astonishing.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4591: Oct 07, 2018 11:33:05 am
      Lewis yah beauty..

Bring it home kiddo..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4592: Oct 07, 2018 04:15:38 pm
      Switch it off. It's done.
      Vettel nobody to blame but himself.
      Hamilton applied the pressure all year and Vettel consistently cracked.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4593: Oct 07, 2018 06:48:02 pm
      How good was he this weekend he won it without breaking sweat he has never driven better
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #4594: Oct 08, 2018 08:25:01 am
      How good was he this weekend he won it without breaking sweat he has never driven better

We discussed this before, Vettel under pressure blows it time and time again.

Hamilton just gets better and better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4595: Oct 10, 2018 11:54:24 pm
      The great Murray Walker turned 95 today. In my opinion, simply the greatest sports broadcaster that has ever lived.

My favourite Murray commentary? The two minutes of the 1998 Italian Grand Prix (from 5.50 to 7.45) where from the lead Coulthard's engine blows, Hakkinen takes the lead briefly and Schumacher in the ensuing chaos overtakes Mika at the chicane moments later with the tifosi going wild and it all being topped off perfectly by Murray's commentary which sweetly reflected the drama of the situation. For me, it's an accumulation of all that I loved about the sport - Schumacher taking the lead in his Ferrari in front of the tifosi going nuts with Murray doing so as well.

https://youtu.be/gT43w0EDBPU?t=350

I only became a fan of f1 towards the end of Murray's commentary career but it strikes me just how unique and special he really was when watching those old videos. His partnership with Martin Brundle in the comms box on ITV was a particular highlight and the soundtrack to my childhood and so far away from the cringey/forced 'banter' and 'discussion' that passes for sports commentary these days (Guy Mowbray and Danny Murphy anyone?)

He just captured the sport perfectly, his exuberance always sincere and his passion always genuine, sourced from his vast encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

Many happy returns old pal.
      « Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018 12:09:19 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4596: Oct 11, 2018 12:01:51 am
      The great Murray Walker turned 95 today. In my opinion, simply the greatest sports broadcaster that has ever lived.

My favourite Murray commentary? The two minutes of the 1998 Italian Grand Prix (from 5.50 to 7.45) where from the lead Coulthard's engine blows, Hakkinen takes the lead briefly and Schumacher in the ensuing chaos overtakes Mika at the chicane moments later with the tifosi going wild and it all being topped off perfectly by Murray's commentary which sweetly reflected the drama of the situation.

https://youtu.be/gT43w0EDBPU?t=350

I only became a fan of f1 towards the end of Murray's commentary career but it strikes me just how unique and special he really was when watching old videos.  His partnership with Martin Brundle in the comms box on ITV was a particular highlight and the soundtrack to my childhood and so far away from the cringey/forced 'banter' and 'discussion' that passes for sports commentary these days (Guy Mowbray and Danny Murphy anyone?)

He just captured the sport perfectly, his exuberance always sincere and his passion always genuine, sourced from his vast encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

Many happy returns old pal.

A true legend mate.

I loved Murray's commentary and miss it even now. His passion for the sport always shone through and I did love it when he mixed drivers up from time to time and all his other Murrayisms.

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4597: Oct 11, 2018 12:07:12 am
      A true legend mate.

I loved Murray's commentary and miss it even now. His passion for the sport always shone through and I did love it when he mixed drivers up from time to time and all his other Murrayisms.

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."

I'll never tire of the legendary Murrayisms! I don't think the spontaneity and adrenaline rush of his job can ever be captured better. 

'The car in front is absolutely unique except for the one behind it which is identical'
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4598: Oct 11, 2018 12:13:49 am
      I'll never tire of the legendary Murrayisms! I don't think the spontaneity and adrenaline rush of his job can ever be captured better. 

'The car in front is absolutely unique except for the one behind it which is identical'

:D

"There are 7 winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today and four of them are Michael Schumacher."

Never tire of them. My missus never watches a minute of F1 when I have it on now but back when Murray was on she always enjoyed his commentary.

One of a kind.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4599: Oct 11, 2018 08:59:59 am
      Without doubt the greatest sports broadcaster that F1 has ever had. He could make ( according to some ) a boring race look exciting with his comments. 95 years young and still going well. Good old Murry.  :)

Quick Reply