Trending Topics

Next match: Wolves v LFC [Premier League] Fri 21st Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Molineux

Today is the 17th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W13 D2 L4

Formula 1

Read 305382 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,318 posts | 382 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4590: Oct 07, 2018 11:32:29 am
      Been a big fan since watching Hunt & Lauda chase each back in the 70's, can't see Hammy being beaten to the title and think he'll outdo Schumi in the title stakes eventually as well!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4591: Oct 07, 2018 11:32:54 am
      The neutrals may say boring race. However, if your a Hammy fan it was perfect.  ;D Apparantly 8 more points needed than Vettel in next race and Lewis is crowned World Champion.

May have to change Hammy time to (( 5 Times  :D ))

I thought there was some great midfield action that certainly grabbed my attention for most the race. Not a classic by any means but alright.

It's incredible how things have changed dramatically since that moment Vettel slid into the barriers in Germany. Not many back then would have betted that the title would be more or less over with a handful of races to go. But for me the relentless performance of Lewis and his team has broken Vettel and Ferrari. Desperate decision making like putting the wrong tyres on for quali yesterday and then Seb's slightly bizarre move on Max today has highlighted that further.

For Lewis, he's never driven better and with the possible exception of Max, it's hard to see another driver on the grid who will operate on this level of performance in future. I think Max will get there but it will be a few years yet. Schumacher during the Ferrari peak years at the start of the millennium was probably the last man to do it.

Lewis deserves to be held in the same debate and breath as Michael and Senna now. That in itself is astonishing.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,496 posts | 2130 
      Reply #4592: Oct 07, 2018 11:33:05 am
      Lewis yah beauty..

Bring it home kiddo..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,202 posts | 2095 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4593: Oct 07, 2018 04:15:38 pm
      Switch it off. It's done.
      Vettel nobody to blame but himself.
      Hamilton applied the pressure all year and Vettel consistently cracked.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,290 posts | 2772 
      Reply #4594: Oct 07, 2018 06:48:02 pm
      How good was he this weekend he won it without breaking sweat he has never driven better
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,279 posts | 309 
      Reply #4595: Oct 08, 2018 08:25:01 am
      How good was he this weekend he won it without breaking sweat he has never driven better

We discussed this before, Vettel under pressure blows it time and time again.

Hamilton just gets better and better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4596: Oct 10, 2018 11:54:24 pm
      The great Murray Walker turned 95 today. In my opinion, simply the greatest sports broadcaster that has ever lived.

My favourite Murray commentary? The two minutes of the 1998 Italian Grand Prix (from 5.50 to 7.45) where from the lead Coulthard's engine blows, Hakkinen takes the lead briefly and Schumacher in the ensuing chaos overtakes Mika at the chicane moments later with the tifosi going wild and it all being topped off perfectly by Murray's commentary which sweetly reflected the drama of the situation. For me, it's an accumulation of all that I loved about the sport - Schumacher taking the lead in his Ferrari in front of the tifosi going nuts with Murray doing so as well.

https://youtu.be/gT43w0EDBPU?t=350

I only became a fan of f1 towards the end of Murray's commentary career but it strikes me just how unique and special he really was when watching those old videos. His partnership with Martin Brundle in the comms box on ITV was a particular highlight and the soundtrack to my childhood and so far away from the cringey/forced 'banter' and 'discussion' that passes for sports commentary these days (Guy Mowbray and Danny Murphy anyone?)

He just captured the sport perfectly, his exuberance always sincere and his passion always genuine, sourced from his vast encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

Many happy returns old pal.
      « Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018 12:09:19 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,102 posts | 1700 
      Reply #4597: Oct 11, 2018 12:01:51 am
      The great Murray Walker turned 95 today. In my opinion, simply the greatest sports broadcaster that has ever lived.

My favourite Murray commentary? The two minutes of the 1998 Italian Grand Prix (from 5.50 to 7.45) where from the lead Coulthard's engine blows, Hakkinen takes the lead briefly and Schumacher in the ensuing chaos overtakes Mika at the chicane moments later with the tifosi going wild and it all being topped off perfectly by Murray's commentary which sweetly reflected the drama of the situation.

https://youtu.be/gT43w0EDBPU?t=350

I only became a fan of f1 towards the end of Murray's commentary career but it strikes me just how unique and special he really was when watching old videos.  His partnership with Martin Brundle in the comms box on ITV was a particular highlight and the soundtrack to my childhood and so far away from the cringey/forced 'banter' and 'discussion' that passes for sports commentary these days (Guy Mowbray and Danny Murphy anyone?)

He just captured the sport perfectly, his exuberance always sincere and his passion always genuine, sourced from his vast encyclopedic knowledge of the sport.

Many happy returns old pal.

A true legend mate.

I loved Murray's commentary and miss it even now. His passion for the sport always shone through and I did love it when he mixed drivers up from time to time and all his other Murrayisms.

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4598: Oct 11, 2018 12:07:12 am
      A true legend mate.

I loved Murray's commentary and miss it even now. His passion for the sport always shone through and I did love it when he mixed drivers up from time to time and all his other Murrayisms.

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."

I'll never tire of the legendary Murrayisms! I don't think the spontaneity and adrenaline rush of his job can ever be captured better. 

'The car in front is absolutely unique except for the one behind it which is identical'
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,102 posts | 1700 
      Reply #4599: Oct 11, 2018 12:13:49 am
      I'll never tire of the legendary Murrayisms! I don't think the spontaneity and adrenaline rush of his job can ever be captured better. 

'The car in front is absolutely unique except for the one behind it which is identical'

:D

"There are 7 winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today and four of them are Michael Schumacher."

Never tire of them. My missus never watches a minute of F1 when I have it on now but back when Murray was on she always enjoyed his commentary.

One of a kind.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,765 posts | 427 
      Reply #4600: Oct 11, 2018 08:59:59 am
      Without doubt the greatest sports broadcaster that F1 has ever had. He could make ( according to some ) a boring race look exciting with his comments. 95 years young and still going well. Good old Murry.  :)
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,496 posts | 2130 
      Reply #4601: Oct 11, 2018 09:14:14 am
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4602: Oct 13, 2018 05:21:05 pm
      Done his father proud there. Hopefully we'll get to see him in f1 sometime in the future.

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1051129605581664256
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4603: Oct 21, 2018 08:59:41 pm
      You won't find a more popular victory than that for a long long time. Welcome back to the top step Kimi - it's been too long!
      LondonRed83
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,676 posts | 762 
      Reply #4604: Oct 21, 2018 09:09:30 pm
      You won't find a more popular victory than that for a long long time. Welcome back to the top step Kimi - it's been too long!

The Iceman is back
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,496 posts | 2130 
      Reply #4605: Oct 21, 2018 10:10:05 pm

Made up for Kimi..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4606: Oct 22, 2018 07:04:42 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,202 posts | 2095 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4607: Oct 23, 2018 12:53:12 am

Yeah. Would be interested to see less running if it means we get better racing,
      although the Mercedes issue could have more to do with them being made to close the rear axle.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,765 posts | 427 
      Reply #4608: Oct 23, 2018 05:55:07 pm

Yeah I'm with you, won it on merit too.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4609: Oct 27, 2018 08:06:59 pm
      Yeah 'Crofty' - Daniel Ricciardo does exist. Sorry to spoil your 'Youngest pole sitter ever' themed celebration. Did he mention that Max was going to be the 'youngest pole sitter ever' today?

Sky - w*nk commentator. Wank broadcaster.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,496 posts | 2130 
      Reply #4610: Oct 27, 2018 08:09:24 pm
      Yeah 'Crofty' - Daniel Ricciardo does exist. Sorry to spoil your 'Youngest pole sitter ever' themed celebration. Did he mention that Max was going to be the 'youngest pole sitter ever' today?

Sky - w*nk commentator. Wank broadcaster.

Cracking lap by Danny.. & yes poor old Croft’s.. 😂
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4611: Oct 27, 2018 08:11:24 pm
      Cracking lap by Danny.. & yes poor old Croft’s.. 😂

Watch Horner try to force the smarm in his delight with the soon to exit Daniel and not Max taking pole. I'd love it if Renault produced a stonker of an engine and a car next year and beat Red Bull with Danny lauding it all over them. Highly unlikely to happen but it would be hilarious. Can't wait to see what Renault have for next year - Danny Ric and big Hulk in support. Effortlessly cool lineup.

Good result for Hamilton to start best of the rest in 3rd. Just needs to keep it on the track tomorrow (though the sentiment in me wants him to win it in Brazil where he won his first in such spectacular style 10 years ago. 10 YEARS AGO!)
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2018 08:19:10 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,765 posts | 427 
      Reply #4612: Oct 27, 2018 08:51:34 pm
      Watching the two red bulls go into the 1st bend it's all eyes closed.  :couch: Neither is going to give way. Hoping Hammy can keep out of the way and leave the Bulls to lock horns with themselves.

Crofty needs to bite that tongue of his as it does get him in trouble. Vettel record looks pretty safe now as being youngest pole sitter. Personally would of liked Max to have got the record though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4613: Oct 28, 2018 08:13:53 pm
      Mercedes having a terrible time with their tyres today - all about the percentages now for number 5 rather than aspirations for a great race result for Lewis. Seb steaming along rapidly on his second stint - a superb run of laps to overtake Danny Ric and Lewis. Max comfortable out in front.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4614: Oct 28, 2018 08:21:43 pm
      Hamilton and Bottas doing identical impressions of running off the first corner with their fu**ed tyres. Lewis still on for number 5 but big questions to be answered by Mercedes about their tyre management today. Atrocious.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,765 posts | 427 
      Reply #4615: Oct 28, 2018 08:52:09 pm
      LEWIS HAMILTON F1
      WORLD CHAMPION 2018
       :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 4592 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4616: Oct 28, 2018 09:01:09 pm
      LEWIS HAMILTON F1
      WORLD CHAMPION 2018
       :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mega job that. Truly superb achievement to equal the great Fangio's record. Thought he drove his best championship last year, went one better this season and I doubted him at the start of the year, wondering whether he would have the drive and ambition to do it again after fighting for the championship for the previous 4 seasons. How wrong I was. He's been faultless and his driving began to force the mistakes from Vettel. Stunning achievement.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,102 posts | 1700 
      Reply #4617: Oct 28, 2018 09:11:44 pm
      Mega job that. Truly superb achievement to equal the great Fangio's record. Thought he drove his best championship last year, went one better this season and I doubted him at the start of the year, wondering whether he would have the drive and ambition to do it again after fighting for the championship for the previous 4 seasons. How wrong I was. He's been faultless and his driving began to force the mistakes from Vettel. Stunning achievement.

Didn't see the race this evening but Lewis fully deserves the title.

Absolutely top class this season.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,290 posts | 2772 
      Reply #4618: Oct 28, 2018 09:11:56 pm
      Lewis gives everything he has to his Sport he is by far the best Driver the best ambassador of the Sport and for Mercedes.
      Why are the Ferrari drivers and team such miserable fuckers.
      Well done Lewis the 5 times World Drivers Champion and the best thing to happen to F1 for a generation
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,496 posts | 2130 
      Reply #4619: Oct 28, 2018 09:13:34 pm
      What a dull race...

Well deserved Lewis.. 🖐🏽X

Unlucky Ricciardo & well done Max.,

Quick Reply