Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1

Read 572333 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4646: Nov 27, 2018 10:51:31 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Yeah. Lewis won the title with a few to spare and yet Valtteri finishes the season in 5th place. Really not good that. Now all drivers will have bad seasons in their career but when you're in the most prized seat in f1 you can't afford to have THAT bad a season! He was good last season as evidenced by the fact that he saw his contract extended to his year but he's dived this year. Some really poor race craft at times as well - he's either so passive and ridiculously easy to pass or he's colliding.

He was also robbed in Baku and Russia of certain race wins and another 30+ points, which would have guaranteed him at least third. And he's been playing a supportive role to Hamilton since mid-season. The Red Bulls and Ferraris were free to race each other for far longer.

The UAE GP in Abu Dhabi is usually a lights to flag cakewalk for the polesitter, as it's one of the most difficult tracks to overtake. Unlike in Spa, I haven't seen many tweets from pundits and officials about the Halo though after Hulkenberg's crash. It stopped him getting out of a smoking car, and had him a sitting duck if it was any more serious. It's the third time a car has flipped over in the last three years.

Next season Vettel is going to have to work harder to win races with Leclerc pushing him. I think the Red Bulls will be stronger as well. As usual, they'll have to be excellent in the first half of the season and rack up the points, before Hamilton moves up the gears after the summer break again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4647: Dec 04, 2018 09:06:31 pm
      Check out the reaction speeds of an f1 driver (ok he's ex f1 for now but you get my drift!)

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/1069915538250444800
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4648: Dec 08, 2018 09:15:09 pm
      Kimi having had a few at last night's FIA gala.

https://twitter.com/racefansdotnet/status/1071142145933873152
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4649: Jan 03, 2019 08:37:13 am
      One of the earliest celebrity birthdays of the year is that of Michael Schumacher.

50 years of age today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4650: Jan 24, 2019 09:24:57 pm
      Some interesting comments by our old friend Eddie Irvine on Seb Vettel!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46927041
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4651: Jan 24, 2019 09:54:13 pm
      Some interesting comments by our old friend Eddie Irvine on Seb Vettel!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46927041

Harsh comments if I'm being honest. Who was Eddie Irvine anyway?? Did he win anything.  :f_whistle:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4652: Jan 24, 2019 09:58:51 pm
      Harsh comments if I'm being honest. Who was Eddie Irvine anyway?? Did he win anything.  :f_whistle:

Ferrari reserve driver wasn’t he?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4653: Jan 24, 2019 10:07:27 pm
      Ferrari reserve driver wasn’t he?

Was tongue in cheek Shabs. Wasn't any good.  :lmao:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4654: Jan 24, 2019 10:33:53 pm
      Was tongue in cheek Shabs. Wasn't any good.  :lmao:

Yeah I know as was mine without the emoji..

I think he fluffed his lines when he ended up runner up.. was expecting Schumacher to bail him out..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4655: Jan 24, 2019 10:54:35 pm
      Yeah I know as was mine without the emoji..

I think he fluffed his lines when he ended up runner up.. was expecting Schumacher to bail him out..

Schumacher was never going to help someone else to the glory at Ferrari after all his hard work to get the team there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4656: Jan 24, 2019 10:59:34 pm

Big fan of Eddie Irvine back in the day although he's going overboard on Vettel. Wouldn't say that Lewis is 'nowhere near Michael' either. He's close, even if he still hasn't surpassed Michael in my view.

I think Michael worked harder to get Ferrari on top compared to Lewis who was helped massively by the big power unit rule change in 2014. Michael and Ferrari didn't benefit from as big a rule change so it was a while coming (four seasons) but when they did reach the top it was near impossible to remove them off it. I still think the era when Schumacher was driving inferior Ferrari's to his Williams/McLaren competitors in the mid to late 90s was f1 driving at it's greatest. In an era of refuelling and no 'engine limits' it's hard to underestimate just how intense that kind of racing was. Every Grand Prix lap was potentially a qualifying lap as Schumi displayed in Hungary 98 when he had to open up a gap of 25 seconds in 19 laps to cover off the mighty McLarens. It was probably the best example of Ross Brawn's tactical supremity and Schumacher's incredible state of mind.

That said, I think Lewis would have revelled in that kind of racing too, it's probably his most natural state.

Schumacher was never going to help someone else to the glory at Ferrari after all his hard work to get the team there.

And too right! There's a great story (of which you've probably heard) that says that Schumacher did not feel like returning to the 1999 season after breaking his leg and he apparently told the President of Ferrari that his leg hadn't fully recovered. Then one day Luca Di Montezemolo calls the Schumacher household and who picks it up but Michael's daughter. 'Is your father in?' asks Luca. 'Yes' says the daughter 'he's just outside playing football!' Needless to say Schumacher gets his orders to return immediately and he's back in the car and proceeds to put the Ferrari on pole by a second ahead of the next fastest man!

I did like Irvine though but looking back who could ever deprive Mika of one of his two world titles? Just an awesome awesome driver.
      « Last Edit: Jan 24, 2019 11:10:28 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4657: Jan 25, 2019 10:07:55 am

True.

Big fan of Eddie Irvine but don't know if that's more because he's a local lad.

Think he's going a bit overboard on Seb though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4658: Jan 29, 2019 07:43:31 pm
      Probably would have been better if they'd spoken out 6-7 years ago. They're all moot points though. What's worrying as well is the notion of 'free access' now being defined, by the likes of Liberty, as online content ie 2-3 minute highlight packages that you can view on twitter/youtube.

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1090027222965145600
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4659: Jan 29, 2019 09:56:11 pm
      Probably would have been better if they'd spoken out 6-7 years ago. They're all moot points though. What's worrying as well is the notion of 'free access' now being defined, by the likes of Liberty, as online content ie 2-3 minute highlight packages that you can view on twitter/youtube.

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1090027222965145600

We grew up with the likes of BBC providing free coverage.
      Little did we realise it was a golden era.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4660: Feb 11, 2019 08:11:14 pm
      One of my favourite liveries has gone with Williams announcing their new car today.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4661: Feb 11, 2019 08:27:03 pm
      One of my favourite liveries has gone with Williams announcing their new car today.

Not feeling it... shame. But I do love the Haas... 👍🏼
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4662: Feb 11, 2019 08:45:29 pm

Me neither.

Not sure about the Haas either.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4663: Feb 11, 2019 09:00:55 pm
      Me neither.

Not sure about the Haas either.

Love the blacked out look.. ready for business it looks..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4664: Feb 11, 2019 09:28:11 pm

Yeah I loved that livery too. It was the sort of livery that could have been put on any f1 car during the 70s and 80s such is it's iconic/classic feel. I would have preferred if the new colour scheme had gone outright sky blue rather than fading to white. The grid has missed a bit of sky blue ever since the days Benetton/Renault parted ways with its Mild Seven livery - one of my favourite colour schemes ever.

Can't really judge the new Haas colour at the moment. The classic JP Special Lotus colours of black and gold definitely hits the right mark in the classic/retro look but unless Renault go all out yellow (which I wish they would) then I can see an uncomfortable clash of colours on the grid. Too many dull/dark/grey on the grid in recent years for my liking.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4665: Feb 11, 2019 09:48:27 pm
      Yeah I loved that livery too. It was the sort of livery that could have been put on any f1 car during the 70s and 80s such is it's iconic/classic feel. I would have preferred if the new colour scheme had gone outright sky blue rather than fading to white. The grid has missed a bit of sky blue ever since the days Benetton/Renault parted ways with its Mild Seven livery - one of my favourite colour schemes ever.

Can't really judge the new Haas colour at the moment. The classic JP Special Lotus colours of black and gold definitely hits the right mark in the classic/retro look but unless Renault go all out yellow (which I wish they would) then I can see an uncomfortable clash of colours on the grid. Too many dull/dark/grey on the grid in recent years for my liking.

Yea, would love Renault to go all yellow but think they'll stay similar to last season.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4666: Feb 12, 2019 01:50:52 am

I could have done better than the Williams and HAAS in 5 minutes.

Not mad on the HAAS. Wait until you see some of the normal angles.
      The gold is too dark on it and it just looks like a plain black car with stickers thrown on it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #4667: Feb 12, 2019 12:13:14 pm
      The Renault is a much better looking 'black' car than the Haas for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4668: Feb 12, 2019 12:26:31 pm
      The Renault is a much better looking 'black' car than the Haas for me.

The yellow accent looks much better.
      No real change this year.
      I like the cleaner front wing and they've gone the same way as Williams and copied the "Ferrari" raised sidepod inlets.

Quick Reply