Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572190 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4738: Mar 16, 2019 08:27:35 am
      Mercedes looks on a knife edge compared to Ferrari,
      but it's also hella quick. Hamilton ragging it and Lando in 8th is impressive.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4739: Mar 16, 2019 09:35:49 am
      Mercedes looks on a knife edge compared to Ferrari,
      but it's also hella quick. Hamilton ragging it and Lando in 8th is impressive.

I got on Hammy at 5/2 for championship  yesterday. He's now odds on.  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4740: Mar 16, 2019 09:57:43 am
      So much for Ferrari holding back and with Merc 1 & 2its clearly advantage Merc for this early part of the season. Unless Ferrari have much better race pace and with Vettel along side Max they may struggle to get a podium tomorrow.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4741: Mar 16, 2019 01:02:53 pm
      Just watched the highlights and an interesting session.

Lando Morris impressive but Renault won't be happy going out in Q2.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4742: Mar 16, 2019 03:39:43 pm
      It must have been morale shattering for the paddock when Lewis set that lap. Ferrari being that far back was not in the script especially after their form in pre season.

Delighted for Lando on his debut weekend - a serious talent. Really excited for him!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4743: Mar 17, 2019 01:20:06 am
      Seems strange Alonso not being part of it now.

Think it’s clear it’s going to be another title for Hamilton. I remember saying the same a year ago, seems to be becoming a theme.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4744: Mar 17, 2019 05:47:12 am

Think it’s clear it’s going to be another title for Hamilton. I remember saying the same a year ago, seems to be becoming a theme.

Certainly hope so but got off to slow start  and Bottas driving like Hammy at the moment.  :f_doh:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4745: Mar 17, 2019 06:42:39 am
      Team orders already with the red car!! Vettel a c**t  :f_steam:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4746: Mar 17, 2019 04:58:27 pm
      Turns out Hamilton had floor damage to his car which explains why Bottas won so far.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4747: Mar 17, 2019 10:30:37 pm
      Turns out Hamilton had floor damage to his car which explains why Bottas won so far.

It was certainly an alarming lack of pace compared to his team mate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4748: Mar 17, 2019 11:24:36 pm
      all the talk of Ferrari being a cut above at the beginning is bullshit then they could not beat Hamilton who had a damaged Car
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4749: Mar 18, 2019 04:50:16 am
      Disappointing start for Ricciardo's Renault career, especially watching Max roll in pretty well with the new engines. Hope for better going forward. He has suggested that he may scale back his intense media commitments for the next Aussie GP as he said after a week of the spotlight he felt a bit drained, just wants to find the right balance with the week because he understands the roll he plays as the home country hero. Ticket sales were the best in years for Melbourne so he certainly brought out the fans.

Gotta love his post match interviews even after such a sh*t race. At 23 seconds in onwards, brilliant :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBs-7KnBXOw
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4750: Mar 24, 2019 10:42:01 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      It must have been morale shattering for the paddock when Lewis set that lap. Ferrari being that far back was not in the script especially after their form in pre season.

Hamilton has taken pole 6 times running in Melbourne. It's a very Merc friendly track, so I wasn't surprised that they took the front row by some margin, and they eased to another one-two.

Ferrari should strike back in Bahrain, a horrible soulless track. But if they fall further behind there, it will be inquest time.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4751: Mar 25, 2019 09:46:06 am
      Hamilton has taken pole 6 times running in Melbourne. It's a very Merc friendly track, so I wasn't surprised that they took the front row by some margin, and they eased to another one-two.

Ferrari should strike back in Bahrain, a horrible soulless track. But if they fall further behind there, it will be inquest time.

If Ferrari don't find some pace in Bahrain they're in for a long, painful, season.
      Even if they do, Melbourne has already highlight a problem with their front wing concept.
      It looks like the early preseason pace might develop down a dead end.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4752: Mar 29, 2019 06:45:03 pm
      10 years ago today! I can hardly believe it's gone by that quickly. One of the most remarkable and satisfying weekends of f1 I've ever watched. Victory in Australia for Jenson Button, my favourite driver driving under the name of Ross Brawn, another idol of mine, just weeks after the whole team could have disappeared completely. It remains one of the most unique sights in sport I've witnessed. For one season only the white, black and fluorescent yellow, sponsorless cars driving to championship glory. Perfect.

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1111549822480379904
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4753: Mar 29, 2019 09:58:59 pm
      10 years ago today! I can hardly believe it's gone by that quickly. One of the most remarkable and satisfying weekends of f1 I've ever watched. Victory in Australia for Jenson Button, my favourite driver driving under the name of Ross Brawn, another idol of mine, just weeks after the whole team could have disappeared completely. It remains one of the most unique sights in sport I've witnessed. For one season only the white, black and fluorescent yellow, sponsorless cars driving to championship glory. Perfect.

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/1111549822480379904

Just themselves and Jordan with the first wins being 1-2s.
      Mind you, only Brawn did it in their 1st ever GP.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4754: Mar 31, 2019 08:31:30 pm
      Leclerc must be feeling pretty gutted right now, absolutely nothing he could do about it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4755: Mar 31, 2019 09:45:14 pm
      Leclerc must be feeling pretty gutted right now, absolutely nothing he could do about it.

Drove a great race to be fair and my man very lucky (( bit like you lads today  ;D ))  to win the race. Looking like a great season ahead though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4756: Apr 01, 2019 10:03:00 am
      Devastated.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4757: Apr 01, 2019 04:02:32 pm
      Never been keen on Hamilton but fair play to him at the weekend, whilst his team were celebrating and saying how great he had raced etc, Hamilton instantly shut it down and said about how it was just because of the bad luck that Leclerc suffered, making his team well aware they weren't good enough and have a lot of work to do. Class act that, many would have just joined in the celebrating and forgotten about Leclerc or whoever else was in that situation.

Given the success that Hamilton has had in the sport, he could easily have put himself across as the big time there against the rookie.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4758: Apr 01, 2019 06:08:37 pm
      Never been keen on Hamilton but fair play to him at the weekend, whilst his team were celebrating and saying how great he had raced etc, Hamilton instantly shut it down and said about how it was just because of the bad luck that Leclerc suffered, making his team well aware they weren't good enough and have a lot of work to do. Class act that, many would have just joined in the celebrating and forgotten about Leclerc or whoever else was in that situation.

Given the success that Hamilton has had in the sport, he could easily have put himself across as the big time there against the rookie.

It was a classy gesture - particularly the wave of acknowledgement/apology when he passed Leclerc on the straight. No doubt about it - Le Clerc is something else. The future could well be defined by him and Max.

But these things happen in f1 and on days when your car just isn't quick enough you have to do the next best thing and plonk it in second, ready to sweep up victory if the guy ahead runs into trouble and Lewis did that. I remember Schumacher picking up the odd win doing that (most memorably against Hakkinen back in Spain 2001 when the Finn broke down on the last lap!).

Lewis has turned into a really mature and wise driver now. He could be quite erratic in his McLaren days but Mercedes Lewis, particularly post Rosberg, is something else. He is the level Leclerc and Verstappen are ultimately aiming for.

*edit: (why the f**k do I keep spelling Leclerc's last name as two separate words? F***ing peak 'rosbif' me.)
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 08:33:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4759: Apr 03, 2019 02:08:59 pm
      I said 6 months ago that Leclerc would challenge Vettel, that the future of F1 is Verstappen v Leclerc, and it could go on for a long time.

While Vettel was making more mistakes, Leclerc put a marker down for the future in Bahrain. He may not have won but it was through no fault of his own, (which resembled Hill's mechanical problems in Hungary in the Arrows) He still managed to collect pole, podium and fastest lap. His maiden win may just come in his home race at Monaco in a few weeks time. That would be something else. Meanwhile, Hamilton knows he has a new Ferrari rival to compete against.

In the meantime, China is race 1000, and a great track it is too. The hairpin at the end of the lap caught several drivers out last year, and Ricciardo took the flag. It wouldn't surprise me if it threw a spanner in someone's race again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #4760: Apr 03, 2019 03:13:59 pm
      Vettels biggest problem is that mentally he’s not as strong as Hamilton. Hamilton doesn’t let anything faze him but it seems Vettel sometimes worries more about what Hamilton is doing than concentrating on his own performance and results in Vettel making mistakes that a 4 time world champion shouldn’t be making.

For the last year, Hamilton has essentially had Vettel in his pocket.

Quick Reply