Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572118 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4784: May 25, 2019 07:53:41 pm
      10 years since Button and Brawn won the Monaco GP.
      Now here we stand with utter Mercedes domination.

Incredible isn't it. No way this is acceptable particularly given Ferrari's strong pre season testing. Not helped by a poor showing by their lead driver. Vettel's Ferrari career is becoming defined by error after error.

edit: Oh and they can get to F**k over the Leclerc fiasco. Appallingly suspicious treatment of the young Frenchman.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2019 08:51:01 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4785: May 26, 2019 12:39:04 pm
      Incredible isn't it. No way this is acceptable particularly given Ferrari's strong pre season testing. Not helped by a poor showing by their lead driver. Vettel's Ferrari career is becoming defined by error after error.

edit: Oh and they can get to f**k over the Leclerc fiasco. Appallingly suspicious treatment of the young Frenchman.

Its seems clear that the info they have means they know Leclerc is going to pass Vettel this season and all sorts of dirty dealings are going on to keep Vettel Number 1.
      Looks like a 1:2 for Mercedes unless we get Safety Cars or Rain.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4786: May 26, 2019 12:49:21 pm

edit: Oh and they can get to f**k over the Leclerc fiasco. Appallingly suspicious treatment of the young Frenchman.

Seems they are doing all they can to keep Vettel happy, even if it means hampering themselves and their other driver. If they aren’t careful then they are going to completely embarrass themselves. It’s time to move on from Vettel, he’s had his day. Losing out to Hamilton and all these mind games he’s tried to get the better of Hamilton has ruined him. There isn’t even a lot that’s gone on between the two but Hamilton has gotten completely in the head of Vettel over the last couple of years.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4787: May 26, 2019 01:29:44 pm
      Really nice piece on Niki Lauda clearly a very well respected nice man and a hell of a driver.
      He said the priest came into give him the last rites touched him on the shoulder didn't say a word to him and buggered off which made him even more determined to live.
      If Merc get through the first lap unscathed its a procession for them today. I think Hamilton already has twice the number of points Vettel has.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4788: May 26, 2019 02:24:21 pm
      What a f**king pass by Leclerc on Grosjean at Rascasse. You don't see that too often around that track!

Edit: He's done the same on Hulkenberg in the next lap but he's ballsed it up! No Charles!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4789: May 26, 2019 02:32:56 pm
      Just can't see Leclerc getting round this track unscathed at some time. Almost sure he's going into barriers at some stage. I'd keep a wide birth betting him.  8)

What a f**king pass by Leclerc on Grosjean at Rascasse. You don't see that too often around that track!

Edit: He's done the same on Hulkenberg in the next lap but he's ballsed it up! No Charles!

Knew he wouldn't be able to do it first time round in the Ferrari  ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4790: May 26, 2019 02:59:35 pm
      Looks like Lewis has been put under pressure here by the Mercedes strategist.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4791: May 26, 2019 03:23:32 pm
      If Grosjean can do 50 laps on the softer tyre then surely Hamilton can squeeze out that little more from these tyres. Track position everything - as noted thanks to Ricciardo's efforts last year you can go 5 seconds slower and still win...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4792: May 26, 2019 03:31:23 pm
      Looks like Lewis has been put under pressure here by the Mercedes strategist.

I'm bricking it, squeaky bum time  :f_doh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4793: May 26, 2019 03:58:01 pm
      Fantastic win that by Hamilton. Did that all by himself there. I bet he's absolutely reaking in sweat though! James Vowles the Mercedes strategist has A LOT to thank Lewis for. Got out of jail there did Mr Vowles.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4794: May 26, 2019 04:02:25 pm
      Unbelievable run by Hammy and has to be one of his greatest triumphs I've ever witnessed under the circumstances.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4795: May 26, 2019 04:23:51 pm
      Unbelievable run by Hammy and has to be one of his greatest triumphs I've ever witnessed under the circumstances.

Yeah - it's great having to watch a driver really go through the ringer to earn the victory as Lewis did today. You just knew Max was going to do something and he did - good job for Lewis that it didn't affect him but it could have so nearly ended in tears for the both of them.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and tense afternoon of f1.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4796: May 26, 2019 04:24:38 pm
      He drove as fast as he needed to and this circuit is the only one were you can literally keep everyone behind you and drive at your own pace.
      Unless it rains its a bore fest no overtaking possible DRS hardly gets used as their are no straights to use it.
      How did Max get away with just a 5 sec time penalty for an unsafe release that was bonkers and dangerous to people working in the pit lane.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4797: May 26, 2019 04:30:38 pm
      He drove as fast as he needed to and this circuit is the only one were you can literally keep everyone behind you and drive at your own pace.
      Unless it rains its a bore fest no overtaking possible DRS hardly gets used as their are no straights to use it.
      How did Max get away with just a 5 sec time penalty for an unsafe release that was bonkers and dangerous to people working in the pit lane.

Wasn't a borefest by any means. Overtaking may be extremely tough but it isn't impossible - you can surprise people on this track like Leclerc did brilliantly on Grosjean. Much rather it this way than the false DRS overtaking charades of recent years.

A tense yet masterful drive by Lewis and some fantastic pressure kept on him by Max who almost forced it open for himself. This is what separates these drivers (their skills that so many of us seemingly take for granted) from every other type - you can throw that sort of pressure on them around Monaco and still come out of it clean. Lesser drivers/sportsmen would bin it in the wall. That's why f1 drivers will always, for me, be at the apex of sporting, physical and mental capabilities...way ahead of every other sport.
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2019 04:37:16 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4798: May 26, 2019 04:59:28 pm
      Yeah - it's great having to watch a driver really go through the ringer to earn the victory as Lewis did today. You just knew Max was going to do something and he did - good job for Lewis that it didn't affect him but it could have so nearly ended in tears for the both of them.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and tense afternoon of f1.

Tense?? That's a understatement for what I was going through.  :lmao: Having Max on his tail was the last thing Hammy wanted  and yes, you just knew it was only when Max made his move. Think this race meant more to Hammy than most given he'd just lost a integral part of his team passing away.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4799: May 26, 2019 05:42:49 pm
      Looking forward to the battles in years to come between Verstappen and Leclerc!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4800: May 26, 2019 06:27:10 pm
      Looking forward to the battles in years to come between Verstappen and Leclerc!

Going to get feisty with these two for sure  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4801: May 26, 2019 07:49:43 pm
      you could have had Hamilton in a school bus and he would have had the same result. The previous winners from the days of square wheels have come from the front three you cant overtake and Leclerc only managed his because the other driver gave way unlike his second attempt.
      Lewis is so far ahead of the other drivers now he is clearly working on a different level he has more than double the points of Vettel so far and Merc will have the Team Prize won in record time this season and today were denied another one-two by the Stewards who bottled it only giving Max a 5 second time penalty. talking of strategists I wonder what cunning plan Ferrari have for the next GP to scupper Leclerc's race
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4802: May 27, 2019 10:34:20 am
      Knew he wouldn't be able to do it first time round in the Ferrari  ;)

I took him out of my Teams ahead of the weekend.
      Backed Mercedes. Backed Hamilton for pole and the win.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4803: May 27, 2019 06:28:59 pm

Makes perfect sence from my point of view racer. bit miffed with myself the more i think about it why didn't i bet. Do the bookies take a bet on naming a driver to DNF?? If so did you know the price?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4804: May 27, 2019 06:37:21 pm

Thoughts on the 5 second time penalty for Max Verstappen?

Can't help they were incredibly lenient and now in future unsafe releases that will be the particular hill all teams will fight their battle on. A stupid decision by the stewards in my opinion.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4805: May 27, 2019 11:27:28 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4806: May 28, 2019 10:36:53 am
      Thoughts on the 5 second time penalty for Max Verstappen?

Can't help they were incredibly lenient and now in future unsafe releases that will be the particular hill all teams will fight their battle on. A stupid decision by the stewards in my opinion.

Definitely an unsafe release.
      Arguably destroyed Bottas' race.
      Cost Verstappen a podium too so I don't know if it's too harsh.
      See a lot of noobs arguing the team should have got the penalty, not Max.
      They deserved a penalty one way or the other and there's probably an argument to be made that he should have got a drive through,
      Max's mentality doesn't lend itself to having to negotiate tight circuits with other cars. Could have easily have taken out both Mercs.

Quick Reply