Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Formula 1

Read 572227 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4807: May 28, 2019 11:03:10 am
      Thoughts on the 5 second time penalty for Max Verstappen?

Can't help they were incredibly lenient and now in future unsafe releases that will be the particular hill all teams will fight their battle on. A stupid decision by the stewards in my opinion.

Definitely lenient with him as thought it would of been a drive through with a ten second stop. Can only think the reason why they gave him 5 seconds is because it's the hardest track to pass in the calendar anyway. I'd of handled the squeaky bum time better if he'd of had a drive through though  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4808: Jun 09, 2019 08:29:25 pm
      Vettel given a 5 second penalty. I'm with Brundle on this one - I don't believe it warranted one. As the commentary and the replay says you can clearly see the back end swinging out when he rejoined. As for 'blocking' - to be honest I don't see how any driver doing anything differently. Ricciardo was moving all over the race track defending from Bottas yet gets away scot free (though I back Danny on that one - I hate the 'move once' rule!) Where's the consistency?

Unfair.
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019 08:33:28 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4809: Jun 09, 2019 09:05:17 pm
      Vettel given a 5 second penalty. I'm with Brundle on this one - I don't believe it warranted one. As the commentary and the replay says you can clearly see the back end swinging out when he rejoined. As for 'blocking' - to be honest I don't see how any driver doing anything differently. Ricciardo was moving all over the race track defending from Bottas yet gets away scot free (though I back Danny on that one - I hate the 'move once' rule!) Where's the consistency?

Unfair.
      Difficult call because at the end of the day Hammy has done what he does time and time again and forced Vettel in making the mistake which isn't the first time Vettel has buckled under pressure. I wouldn't of argued either way even though I'm a Hammy fan And glad he got the penalty.  However, stewards have all the info in front of them which we don't.

There's two driver you don't want behind you when leading. No1 Hammy, No 2 Verstappen. Bothe these drivers can put leader under unbearable pressure.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4810: Jun 09, 2019 09:34:14 pm
      Difficult call because at the end of the day Hammy has done what he does time and time again and forced Vettel in making the mistake which isn't the first time Vettel has buckled under pressure. I wouldn't of argued either way even though I'm a Hammy fan And glad he got the penalty.  However, stewards have all the info in front of them which we don't.

There's two driver you don't want behind you when leading. No1 Hammy, No 2 Verstappen. Bothe these drivers can put leader under unbearable pressure.

I struggle to see what Vettel could do any differently in the situation. Jenson Button made the point that if he had tried to stick the car to the dusty side (well to the left of the wall) without traction and out of control then he could very well have spun the car and a difficult situation would have turned dangerous. Lewis may have forced the mistake but it wasn't a race costing mistake until the stewards intervened. Robbed of a hard earned victory there was Seb.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4811: Jun 09, 2019 10:04:46 pm
      I struggle to see what Vettel could do any differently in the situation. Jenson Button made the point that if he had tried to stick the car to the dusty side (well to the left of the wall) without traction and out of control then he could very well have spun the car and a difficult situation would have turned dangerous. Lewis may have forced the mistake but it wasn't a race costing mistake until the stewards intervened. Robbed of a hard earned victory there was Seb.

I think because Hammy forced Vettel into the mistake is basically why stewards think he would of passed even if Vettel hadn't of unintentionally moved over to the racing line. It was a close call but like I said, wouldn't of argued with no penalty either.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4812: Jun 09, 2019 10:43:54 pm
      Hamilton took a much bigger penalty in 2008 to go from first to third. He didn't behave like a three year old like Vettel did.
      Why didn't he try and push to get the 5 second gap instead of switching off and just complaining on the Radio. His behaviour after the race deserved a penalty.
      However I think a penalty should be taken in the pits so the winner is the Car taking the chequered flag this just seemed like a badly applied sanction. It would be interesting to see what the Stewards looked at to give this sanction.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4813: Jun 10, 2019 09:54:34 am
      Not happy with the penalty but ultimately it's Vettel cracking under pressure from Hamilton. Again.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4814: Jun 10, 2019 10:43:32 am
      Not happy with the penalty but ultimately it's Vettel cracking under pressure from Hamilton. Again.

100% agree. Hammy does it continuously and puts the sh!ts up drivers time and time again, none more so than Vettel   ;D If the wall wasn't there he would of passed him anyway. I know it was a harsh penalty but basically Hammy doing what he does better than any other F1 driver can do.  ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4815: Jun 10, 2019 11:03:18 am

Forced Vettel into the error which I believe made Vettel react to the penalty in the manner he did..Had Hamilton passed though he would have won the race..Vettel seems to crack too much and Lewis has the measure of him..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4816: Jun 10, 2019 11:42:27 am
      Forced Vettel into the error which I believe made Vettel react to the penalty in the manner he did..Had Hamilton passed though he would have won the race..Vettel seems to crack too much and Lewis has the measure of him..

Same last year in Germany.
      Hamilton starts banging in the times on fresh rubber and Vettel throws away a win.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4817: Jun 10, 2019 12:34:26 pm
      Hamilton starts banging in the times on fresh rubber and Vettel throws away a win.

It’ll happen again this season, forced error from Vettel under Hamilton pressure..

I also don’t think LeClerc would have been forced into such an error if he had been leading the race with Hamilton chasing behind..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4818: Jun 10, 2019 02:01:52 pm

And who can forget Canada 2011 when a rapid Jenson forced the error on the last lap. Making mistakes under pressure have been there for Seb even amongst his glory years.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4819: Jun 10, 2019 02:32:31 pm
      And who can forget Canada 2011 when a rapid Jenson forced the error on the last lap. Making mistakes under pressure have been there for Seb even amongst his glory years.

On his day Vettel is arguably the fastest driver over a single lap.
      Race craft, especially hitting consistent laps under pressure, seems to be a chink in his armour.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4820: Jun 10, 2019 04:05:17 pm
      On his day Vettel is arguably the fastest driver over a single lap.
      Race craft, especially hitting consistent laps under pressure, seems to be a chink in his armour.

Completely agree.

I may be well off with this theory but maybe it has something to do with the fact that so early on in his career he inherited a dominant Red Bull that more often than not sped off way into the distance and won at a canter. Such cars never allowed him to truly race wheel to wheel with the very best at a critical age when he was rounding and moulding his ultimate driving capabilities.

Lewis has always had excellent race craft such is his nature but while he had handy McLaren's to drive in the first part of his career they were never so good or as dominant as the Red Bull's Vettel drove during the same era so he found himself defending and fighting wheel to wheel more often than his German rival at the same stage of his career.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4821: Jun 10, 2019 04:52:09 pm
      Completely agree.

I may be well off with this theory but maybe it has something to do with the fact that so early on in his career he inherited a dominant Red Bull that more often than not sped off way into the distance and won at a canter. Such cars never allowed him to truly race wheel to wheel with the very best at a critical age when he was rounding and moulding his ultimate driving capabilities.

Lewis has always had excellent race craft such is his nature but while he had handy McLaren's to drive in the first part of his career they were never so good or as dominant as the Red Bull's Vettel drove during the same era so he found himself defending and fighting wheel to wheel more often than his German rival at the same stage of his career.

Maybe. Although I think when it comes down to ruthlessness that Hamilton, much like Alonso, is a level above most of the grid.
      Vettel more emotional than them, which can be seen in the aftermath of the race yesterday.
      Like you said though, Hamilton has learned the hard way from his mistakes early in his career.
      Mistakes that cost him a title in his debut season, when he had to battle against Alonso and Kimi.
      Don't think Vettel ever ironed that out. Going to Ferrari can only add to the emotional aspect.
      Mercedes would only increase the methodical level that Hamilton operates at.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4822: Jun 10, 2019 05:29:44 pm
      Maybe. Although I think when it comes down to ruthlessness that Hamilton, much like Alonso, is a level above most of the grid.
      Vettel more emotional than them, which can be seen in the aftermath of the race yesterday.
      Like you said though, Hamilton has learned the hard way from his mistakes early in his career.
      Mistakes that cost him a title in his debut season, when he had to battle against Alonso and Kimi.
      Don't think Vettel ever ironed that out. Going to Ferrari can only add to the emotional aspect.
      Mercedes would only increase the methodical level that Hamilton operates at.

Yeah - good point about the emotional aspect and it becomes even more apparent up against the relative coolness and calm of Hamilton and Alonso.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4823: Jun 10, 2019 06:23:28 pm
      If there was any chance of the Stewards changing their decision it was never going to happen with Vettel acting like a three year old.
      It also proves to Hamilton he doesn't need to overtake him just keep in his mirrors and Vettel will crack.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4824: Jun 10, 2019 08:37:05 pm
      Just caught up with the race, not a Vettel fan, and certainly not a Ferrari fan, but that penalty is bull sh*t.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4825: Jun 10, 2019 10:03:36 pm
      Just caught up with the race, not a Vettel fan, and certainly not a Ferrari fan, but that penalty is bull sh*t.

If Vettel stayed off the racing line and Lewis went through past then no penalty & vettel has the opportunity to amend his forced error.. Vettel almost put Lewis into the wall.. should let pass happen & then race Hamilton, Ferrari had the superior car..

Right decision..
      Quickness6
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #4826: Jun 11, 2019 07:07:34 pm
      Vettel made one mistake and paid the price big time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4827: Jun 13, 2019 07:59:29 pm
      Hits the nail on the head does Mika here.

https://twitter.com/F1Photo/status/1139182953697816577
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4828: Jun 13, 2019 10:30:41 pm

What Mikka fails to mention the pressure Vettel was under from Hamilton which was the root cause of Vettel cracking & going off track.,

Why do done choose to ignore this fact ..?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4829: Jun 17, 2019 10:59:30 pm
      Quote from Shabs

One thing that was forgotten in all the talk about "mistakes", was that Vettel dominated the race, led from lights to flag, and was not under much pressure when he went off. I don't see what mistake he made tbh. He went into the corner as usual, but for some reason the car went off the track. He came back as normal, but the incident was always going to be investigated and these days, punished.

Hamilton lets emotion get to him as well. He put his car in the wall in a practice session. He spent 50 laps in Monaco having a running argument with his engineer over his tyres, when his engine went in Malaysia, or trying to physically push the car back to the pits in Hockenheim last year from 2 kilometres away, in qualifying. Usually the car being the best on the grid, comes to his rescue. Either that or Bottas gets an order to comply with, over the radio.

It was set up to be a very exciting season.
      But Mercedes have won the last 9 races. At this rate, they'll be reading out how many points Hamilton still needs to win the championship, before the time the European season ends in Sochi.

Quick Reply