Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Formula 1

Read 576396 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4991: Oct 26, 2020 09:47:18 pm
      Never warmed to him for some reason but there's no doubt he's up there with the very best. The numbers speak for themselves.

Still number two to Senna for me though.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4992: Oct 26, 2020 11:55:32 pm
      Never warmed to him for some reason but there's no doubt he's up there with the very best. The numbers speak for themselves.

Still number two to Senna for me though.

Interesting stat, Senna died at a young age of 34 winning 3 championships and 41 races yet Hammy 35 years young has 6 championships and 92 race wins to his credit and many still think Senna No 1 including yourself.

Obviously nothing wrong with that as its opinions. However, having watched the great Senna for so many years before his tragic death I still think Hammy the better driver. I know many things have changed and it is really hard to compare but Hammy really can feel things in a car that other great drivers just don't feel.

This is one of his many qualities that stand out. When a driver finishes 25 seconds behind driving the same motor it tells you all you need to know.

No matter what our thoughts Senna & Hamilton are graced with being the two best drivers we've all had the pleasure of watching with a Schmacher close 3rd.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4993: Oct 26, 2020 11:59:03 pm

I know what you mean.  ;D  Some people just can't except when their witnessing something very special and on a different level to what's out there.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #4994: Oct 27, 2020 05:04:58 pm
      Schumacher got his 91 wins against Senna, Hill, Hakkinen, Villeneuve, and Alonso. Hamilton has no serious competition to test himself against. You could put Joe Bloggs in that Mercedes car and it would still win.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4995: Oct 27, 2020 05:12:24 pm
      Schumacher got his 91 wins against Senna, Hill, Hakkinen, Villeneuve, and Alonso. Hamilton has no serious competition to test himself against. You could put Joe Bloggs in that Mercedes car and it would still win.

Hakkinen average, Villeneuve average. Hamilton smoked Alonso off and is basically why he left. Don't tell Bottas Joe Bloggs could win in that car as I'm sure he would disagree with you.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4996: Oct 28, 2020 09:30:22 pm
      Interesting announcement today 28/10 /20.

Mercedes are upping their shareholding in Aston Martin from 2.6%    to    20%  .

Aston Martin  will now use much of Mercedes technology

Tobias Meirs  joined AM from Mercedes AMG in August as new CEO.

Lawrence Stroll owns F1 Racing Point " The Pink Mercedes" which will be re branded as F1 Aston Martin Racing next year.

Lawrence Stroll is Chairman and shareholder of Aston Martin

F1 Red Bull currently run with Aston Martin as partners but when they asked F1 Mercedes - AMG for engines to replace their current supplier Honda they were refused and may have to go cap in hand to Renault.

I'm dizzy .

There must be a grand plan in there somewhere.
      « Last Edit: Oct 28, 2020 09:38:05 pm by MIRO »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #4997: Oct 29, 2020 05:02:28 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      Hakkinen average, Villeneuve average. Hamilton smoked Alonso off and is basically why he left. Don't tell Bottas Joe Bloggs could win in that car as I'm sure he would disagree with you.

Bottas has won as many World Championships as Bloggs. Worse, he seems happy with his lot. A driver wants to finish on the podium, a racer wants to win a world title. Or more. He certainly should not be 77 points behind his teammate in the same car, two thirds into a one team world championship.

The rest above were all World Champions at some point, but even though they didn't have the car to win 6 of them, dismissing Double World Champions as "average" must be some kind of joke. Most of them had serious competition within teams and against other drivers to fight against every Sunday. They also drove without Halo gimmicks, on much more challenging circuits, where there was a trap or a tyre wall awaiting the slightest error, rather than tarmac run offs at every corner. Therefore, their achievements get all the recognition they deserve.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Reply #4998: Oct 30, 2020 08:49:41 am
      Interesting stat, Senna died at a young age of 34 winning 3 championships and 41 races yet Hammy 35 years young has 6 championships and 92 race wins to his credit and many still think Senna No 1 including yourself.

Obviously nothing wrong with that as its opinions. However, having watched the great Senna for so many years before his tragic death I still think Hammy the better driver. I know many things have changed and it is really hard to compare but Hammy really can feel things in a car that other great drivers just don't feel.

This is one of his many qualities that stand out. When a driver finishes 25 seconds behind driving the same motor it tells you all you need to know.

No matter what our thoughts Senna & Hamilton are graced with being the two best drivers we've all had the pleasure of watching with a Schmacher close 3rd.

I think it's Senna for me mainly because I followed the sport a lot more back then and he provided a lot of standout memories for me. I've drifted away from F1 a bit in recent years which might be why I've never quite seen Hamilton the same way.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4999: Oct 30, 2020 10:14:38 am
      Mika Hakkinen was technically a very good driver... respected by his peers. Double World Champion 98 and 99 for McLaren

https://youtu.be/1A_dapnwgEc
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3840 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5000: Oct 30, 2020 10:51:01 am

No doubt Senna, Hamilton & Schumacher are the greatest drivers I've ever had the privilege to see race.

Senna still the best for me.
      The great what if, what could he have won if things had been different at Imola. 6 or 7 titles no doubt, for me.
      There is no "what if" with Hamilton.
      He has always been in a winning car, and his timing with the switch to Mercedes (in hindsight) was perfect.
      Mercedes have learned from Hamilton v Rosberg. That's why Bottas stays as Hamilton's teammate.
      A 1.5 rather than two number 1 drivers.
      Hamilton is the embodiment of a perfect F1 career.

I didn't think Schumacher's titles and wins would ever be beaten.
      When Hamilton stops, I don't think his records will ever be beaten.

For example, Max would have to race on until 40 to match Lewis at this rate.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5001: Oct 30, 2020 11:06:13 am
      I think it's Senna for me mainly because I followed the sport a lot more back then and he provided a lot of standout memories for me. I've drifted away from F1 a bit in recent years which might be why I've never quite seen Hamilton the same way.

That's a fair comment chats, I'm actually the opposite of you.  ;D I'm more involved now than I was back then.   ;D However, still watched plenty of Senna and what we can most certainly agree on is we've watched two of the greatest drivers to grace our era.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #5002: Nov 11, 2020 10:08:57 pm
      Mika Hakkinen was technically a very good driver... respected by his peers. Double World Champion 98 and 99 for McLaren

https://youtu.be/1A_dapnwgEc

Have to agree with you there MIRO (and respectfully disagree with you Keith!). I loved Mika Hakkinen - the original Flying Finn! On his day, I don't know if there's anyone who was quicker. And I'm probably including everyone who has come in after Mika as well. He was searingly fast. Him and Schumacher defined the sport when I fell in love with it. That beautiful West emblazoned McLaren against the scarlet red of Schumi and Ferrari. Iconic days! Sadly for Mika, one of my most vivid memories of his was when he retired when leading the Spanish Grand Prix on the last lap back in 2001. He absolutely killed it and must have been leading Michael by half a lap or so. Now, being the massive Schumacher fanboy that I was (and still am!) I was delighted at the time but looking back it was pure dread for Mika. He was searingly fast. I found it on youtube recently and it reminded me just how fantastic Murray Walker and Martin Brundle were - that pair were arguably just as important as Mika and Schumacher in making me fall in love with the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emNuqd4L2NA
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5003: Nov 12, 2020 12:59:48 pm
      Afternoon peeps :D

I keep wanting to get back into F1, but the races feel a bit too bland IMO even before lockdown hit... it just doesn't have the same thrill as it used to... I remember back in the 90's getting together with the old man and my big bro on a Sunday to watch the excitement of close quarters jostling and lightning quick pit stops and then watching as they races around some of the best tracks in the world!

You got right in the heat of the race and the anticipation that anything could happen at any moment kept you gripped for at least 60 laps! (some of the pre race interviews were brilliant too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3qSe9nhk8

whereas these days it's more about waiting to see who gets pole, and therefore how many positions Hamilton has to make up to go on and win, plus I think it's only the British GP which is on terrestrial TV :( (it probably helps Sky pay the drivers a few quid extra in their pay packet)

The figures still look good though..
      Quote from: F1.com
      In terms of unique viewers, during 2019 the sport remained stable in the top 20 markets at 405.5m (+0.3%), while there was a slight decrease globally (-3.9%), with the overall number of viewers standing at 471m. Brazil, China, Germany, USA and Italy are the five markets with the highest reach. Poland (+569.7%) with 8.4m viewers and the Middle East (+ 239.6%) at 17.6m registered the highest growth. Within the top 20 markets Germany (+45.6%), the Netherlands (+31.1%) and Greece (+18%) had double-digit growth.

Anyone else have a view on this?

Andy
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #5004: Nov 13, 2020 06:41:56 pm
      Afternoon peeps :D

I keep wanting to get back into F1, but the races feel a bit too bland IMO even before lockdown hit... it just doesn't have the same thrill as it used to... I remember back in the 90's getting together with the old man and my big bro on a Sunday to watch the excitement of close quarters jostling and lightning quick pit stops and then watching as they races around some of the best tracks in the world!

You got right in the heat of the race and the anticipation that anything could happen at any moment kept you gripped for at least 60 laps! (some of the pre race interviews were brilliant too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ3qSe9nhk8

whereas these days it's more about waiting to see who gets pole, and therefore how many positions Hamilton has to make up to go on and win, plus I think it's only the British GP which is on terrestrial TV :( (it probably helps Sky pay the drivers a few quid extra in their pay packet)

The figures still look good though..
      Anyone else have a view on this?

Andy

It's been a grim year but I've found a lot of refuge in F1 this year. The re-introduction of tracks like the Nurburgring, Imola and the new but refreshing spectacle of Mugello has really given something fresh yet vintage to this strange year. Those tracks were another keen reminder of just how beautiful and thrilling it is to see F1 cars racing around traditional, green European tracks and not the tarmac glazed hells of the modern Tilke type track.

Like yourself, the dominance of Mercedes certainly takes something away from the sport. Their dominance is so supreme, it makes the Ferrari team of the 00s look like a struggle in comparison (on a technical level, I feel the sport felt a lot more equal back then)! As fascinating as the turbo hybrid formula has been since it was introduced in 2014, it has killed competition at the top. I have a lot of faith in Ross Brawn's new regulations for the sport in 2022 so that's going to be a big big year I feel but we'll wait and see on that one.

All this doesn't take anything away from Lewis though - his (soon to be) 7 world titles are absolutely deserved and he's the only man post Schumacher who could have done this. That he has maintained that hunger and speed when he could so easily taken it easy is a mark of the man. I can't think of a British sporting great who was so far ahead of the game in such a physically and mentally demanding sport. The greatest British sportsman? Probably.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5005: Nov 14, 2020 01:22:44 pm
      Turkish GP track .... what a mess.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5006: Nov 14, 2020 01:29:42 pm
      Podcast :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08y2735

Rise of the Silver Arrows.

Mercedes success in the last seven years

Fascinating insight.
      « Last Edit: Nov 14, 2020 01:55:25 pm by MIRO »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5007: Nov 14, 2020 01:39:06 pm
      Looking like red bull for poll.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #5008: Nov 14, 2020 01:44:17 pm
      Always thought this to be one of the strongest of the Tilke tracks (along with Austin which is quite similar in some parts). Nice to see it back.

Red Bull's look supreme. Those Alfa's though!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #5009: Nov 14, 2020 01:48:25 pm
      OMG - have Racing Point duped the Red Bulls here??!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,034 posts | 2090 
      Reply #5010: Nov 14, 2020 01:52:20 pm
      Ha ha!!! Get in Lance! What a driver he is in those conditions!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5011: Nov 14, 2020 01:53:57 pm
      Fantastic qual session was that. Loved every min of it.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,929 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5012: Nov 15, 2020 11:48:09 am
      Are we witnessing one of the best controlled race of all time?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5013: Nov 15, 2020 11:51:17 am
      Are we witnessing one of the best controlled race of all time?

GOAT   :aaliverpool2xt1:

Quick Reply