Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575519 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5060: Nov 27, 2020 08:10:17 pm
      No driver excepts being a No 2 even though fans know he is. You only have to look at his frustration after races to know it's killing him Hamilton a class act and no matter what he does he simply can't beat him.

Your basic argument in your post is what happens off the track?? I'm talking about his driving ability and nothing else. However, I will agree his agenda with some of his antics off the track  ( especially  the one on the podium )  are not excepable and the reason many don't like him just like yourself.

My statement is about what he does on the track and he's simply in a class of his own. Even if you don't like and take the rose tinted glasses off we both know in this era he goes down as a legend if F1.

Rise SIR HAMILTON elect

The beautiful thing about the greats like Hamilton is that you could put him in a dog dirt Williams of the last couple of years and you'd see wonders occur. But you don't need to know how they'd get on in a poorer car because the skill on display is so complete. But my God, it'd be wonderful to see how far he could drag those cars up the grid. What an exhibition it would be!

Anyone see the practice results from Bahrain today? Another bad day for Albon. Yes, he may not be good for Red Bull at the moment but everytime I see another young driver being put through the ringer by that team and seeing his career crumbling away it becomes so disheartening. The way they treated Gasly last year was plain for all to see in that enlightening and brilliant Drive To Survive Netflix show. That's why Pierre's victory at Monza was so beautiful. There was a sweet revenge in that it made Red Bull look like fools. I don't think a team principle and an entire team itself has ever been so woefully inept at handling young drivers.

Kids at karting level should think twice before signing for the Red Bull young drivers programme.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5061: Nov 29, 2020 02:11:25 pm
      Anyone here for the Bahrain Grand Prix (faintly ridiculous that the f1 circus continues to travel to this no mark circuit)? Let's see if Lewis can inch ever closer to a century of wins.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5062: Nov 29, 2020 02:22:07 pm
      Stunned - Grosjean crashed into the barrier and his car is lit ablaze. I have never seen anything like that in my lifetime watching f1. The great news is, he's out of the car and seemingly fine. Understandably, the race has been stopped.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5063: Nov 29, 2020 02:40:51 pm
      Stunned - Grosjean crashed into the barrier and his car is lit ablaze. I have never seen anything like that in my lifetime watching f1. The great news is, he's out of the car and seemingly fine. Understandably, the race has been stopped.

Unbelievable is a understatement, for a car to split in half like that and the driver to escape with what looked like minor injuries is a miracle. When you look at the car you'd instantly say Gosjean was dead. However, how many times how we fans said it's only time before Gosjean causes a serious accident ??

It was clearly his fault once again. Hopefully a enquiry will be held, personally I don't think he should ever race again but that's probably me just over reacting. Grosjean defo used one of his 9 lives up in that one.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5064: Nov 29, 2020 02:46:21 pm
      Unbelievable is a understatement, for a car to split in half like that and the driver to escape with what looked like minor injuries is a miracle. When you look at the car you'd instantly say Gosjean was dead. However, how many times how we fans said it's only time before Gosjean causes a serious accident ??

It was clearly his fault once again. Hopefully a enquiry will be held, personally I don't think he should ever race again but that's probably me just over reacting. Grosjean defo used one of his 9 lives up in that one.

There was a lot of recklessness involved beforehand. Like you, on replay I was astounded that he was coming right across the track like that amidst the pack. But the picture of that car, or what's left, split clean in two is horrific. You show that to anyone unaware of what happened and they'll say instantly fatal.

Miraculous effort by the Medic car to be on the scene literally seconds after impact and helping to extract Grosjean out of the flames. I'm in awe of the FIA medic and the driver of that medic car right now. Marshalls were, as ever, fantastic.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2020 03:02:17 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5065: Nov 29, 2020 05:30:41 pm
      Lewis a very deserving winner of a strange Grand Prix. Even with that marshall running across the road in front of Norris's car at the end of the race to extinguish Perez's car, it was treading a fine line with tragedy.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5066: Nov 29, 2020 05:44:58 pm
      Lewis a very deserving winner of a strange Grand Prix. Even with that marshall running across the road in front of Norris's car at the end of the race to extinguish Perez's car, it was treading a fine line with tragedy.

The none Hammy fans will say it was boring.  ;D Marshall ruining across the track very surprising as they know that isn't allowed.  :f_doh:  Still, a good day in the office for SIR HAMILTON.  :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5067: Nov 29, 2020 05:49:56 pm
      The none Hammy fans will say it was boring.  ;D Marshall ruining across the track very surprising as they know that isn't allowed.  :f_doh:  Still, a good day in the office for SIR HAMILTON.  :)

The Grand Prix was good. I enjoyed the fight between McLaren/Renault and Perez's retirement was great for Norris and Sainz who both drove superbly for 4th and 5th. Would love to see McLaren take 3rd in the constructors.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5068: Nov 29, 2020 05:52:41 pm
      Would love to see McLaren take 3rd in the constructors.

Me too but don't think their quite strong enough this year.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5069: Nov 29, 2020 06:02:57 pm
      They've definitely got the best driver pairing on the grid in my view. I think Norris and Sainz are extracting everything out of that car. No doubt Racing Point have a better car but neither Perez and Stroll are on the level of Norris and Sainz in my view.

Seeing that Ricciardo got angry at f1 broadcasters replaying the crash numerous times. Some fans on twitter angry as well but I disagree - I think people too often overlook the sheer danger that this sport. Of course, if it was fatal then it'd be the right thing to not show it but these incidents just remind the viewer and those carrying lazy stereotypes about the sport ('they just drive around in circles' etc etc) just what this sport involves. In the event where the driver has got away it's important to show that side of the sport rather than sanitise/censor it. Also displays the phenomenal safety efforts that have been made along with the ability of first responders for anyone who was in any doubt.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5070: Nov 29, 2020 06:13:50 pm
      I think Norris and Sainz are extracting everything out of that car. No doubt Racing Point have a better car but neither Perez and Stroll are on the level of Norris and Sainz in my view.

You hit the nail on the head, both drivers are getting maximum out of the car so can't really improve for me. The only way I can see them getting third is if racing point have another one or two DNF.  I'll be hoping it does as I like what Norris has done this year and appears to be improving with nearly every race.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5071: Nov 29, 2020 06:18:14 pm
      You hit the nail on the head, both drivers are getting maximum out of the car so can't really improve for me. The only way I can see them getting third is if racing point have another one or two DNF.  I'll be hoping it does as I like what Norris has done this year and appears to be improving with nearly every race.

It's also another blow for those idiots who bang on about it just being 'all about the car'. If that were the case then Racing Point would have had third wrapped up long ago. Yet here we are with McLaren 17 ahead of RP simply because they have better drivers.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5072: Nov 29, 2020 06:20:44 pm
      It's also another blow for those idiots who bang on about it just being 'all about the car'. If that were the case then Racing Point would have had third wrapped up long ago. Yet here we are with McLaren 17 ahead of RP simply because they have better drivers.

I'm certainly on board about the idiots you mentioned. However, I think ( in most cases ) that's just a case of ignorance as they just watch the odd race and are very much blinkered.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5073: Nov 29, 2020 10:23:48 pm
      That image of the Dr Ian Roberts stepping towards the flames and helping Grosjean over the barrier is probably the most remarkable image I've seen in this sport in many many years. What a hero and amazing how quick Grosjean's response to his situation was as well. Bravery defined.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1333119273875726346?s=20
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5074: Dec 01, 2020 07:33:36 am
      Lewis has Covid 19
      Will miss next GP
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5075: Dec 01, 2020 08:49:39 am
      Lewis has Covid 19
      Will miss next GP

:stress_h4h:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5076: Dec 01, 2020 05:44:21 pm
      Big pressure on Valtteri now to win at the weekend.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5077: Dec 01, 2020 06:11:24 pm
      Big pressure on Valtteri now to win at the weekend.

Very much so. The amount of anti Hamilton fans who say he only wins because he's in the fastest car will be hiding if he doesn't produce this weekend.  ;) I've already backed Verstappen at 7/4-6/4 and he's in a slower car.  :f_whistle: :f_whistle: :f_whistle:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5078: Dec 01, 2020 06:15:27 pm
      Very much so. The amount of anti Hamilton fans who say he only wins because he's in the fastest car will be hiding if he doesn't produce this weekend.  ;) I've already backed Verstappen at 7/4-6/4 and he's in a slower car.  :f_whistle: :f_whistle: :f_whistle:

Max for me as well Keith.

I like Valtteri but he just doesn't have that extra edge a really top driver needs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5079: Dec 01, 2020 06:22:12 pm

I like Valtteri but he just doesn't have that extra edge a really top driver needs.

But that doesn't matter because he's in the fastest car and they always win don't they? Least that's what the ill educate none Hamilton fans say.  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5080: Dec 01, 2020 06:25:05 pm
      Yeah, I agree with you both. Max Verstappen for the win this weekend.

Would love to see Hulk in there as Lewis's replacement. Think he would do a grand job. To be honest though, I think they'll go for a safe, second driver where Bottas has a safe chance of beating. 

If Hulkenberg or Russell came in and beat Bottas on the Sunday then it'd be something of a PR disaster for Mercedes seeing him beat by the reserve/younger driver. All that having signed Bottas up for another year.

Regardless, I'd still back Bottas to outdrive whoever is chosen as his team mate this weekend. But there's a lot of pressure on him this weekend.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5081: Dec 01, 2020 06:38:43 pm
      Yeah, I agree with you both. Max Verstappen for the win this weekend.

Would love to see Hulk in there as Lewis's replacement. Think he would do a grand job. To be honest though, I think they'll go for a safe, second driver where Bottas has a safe chance of beating. 

If Hulkenberg or Russell came in and beat Bottas on the Sunday then it'd be something of a PR disaster for Mercedes seeing him beat by the reserve/younger driver. All that having signed Bottas up for another year.

Regardless, I'd still back Bottas to outdrive whoever is chosen as his team mate this weekend. But there's a lot of pressure on him this weekend.

Hulkenberg aye,  :roll: for me I'd like to see Russell really.  ;D Can you imagine if the reserve driver gets a higher postion than Bottas  :roll: Christ that would be bad but in reality can't happen can it?  ;D It's near impossible for the reserve drive to beat Bottas even if they were faster as will take quite a few drives before getting use to the new set up.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,016 posts | 2089 
      Reply #5082: Dec 01, 2020 06:52:36 pm
      Hulkenberg aye,  :roll: for me I'd like to see Russell really.  ;D Can you imagine if the reserve driver gets a higher postion than Bottas  :roll: Christ that would be bad but in reality can't happen can it?  ;D It's near impossible for the reserve drive to beat Bottas even if they were faster as will take quite a few drives before getting use to the new set up.

It would be great to see Russell in that car. Some of his quali displays this year have been superb. Can still make the odd mistake during the Grand Prix though which shows his inexperience more than anything. But if Mercedes had long term plans for Russell, then they could solidify them this weekend. Probably the wisest option.

Quick Reply