Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Formula 1

Read 577569 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5152: Mar 13, 2021 07:29:51 pm
      Legend for him not a big enough status as he was that good. Will be sadly missed by all. RIP Murry
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5153: Mar 13, 2021 07:33:32 pm
      Legend is a word sometimes over used but not where Murray is concerned.

A true giant of sport.

I'm heartbroken. Lucky enough to have fallen in love with the sport at the tail end of his commentary career. Murray and Martin in the ITV commentary box were the soundtrack of my childhood.

As you say, a true giant. I don't think any broadcaster transcended his sport in the way he did. I can't think of a greater ambassador for the sport than Murray. And the most wonderful thing is, we all loved him.

Rest in peace Murray.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #5154: Mar 13, 2021 07:45:16 pm
      The soundtrack to the days I used to be a big F1 fan

RIP Murray
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5155: Mar 27, 2021 07:28:09 pm
      Come on Lewis and Max. Make this a fight until the very end!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5156: Mar 27, 2021 09:22:47 pm
      Come on Lewis and Max. Make this a fight until the very end!

Early days but with new changes looks like Max has the better car so far. Hopefully a exciting race tomorrow.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #5157: Mar 28, 2021 01:57:19 pm
      It's only one track. There are 22 more to come. Red Bull have to give Max a competitive car on every circuit, not on a few circuits only, and being so far off the pace in places such as Monza and Sochi that they willingly take engine penalties in advance.

Perez 11th. Already, that's another tortoise teammate that Verstappen has seen off. Throw Kvyat in as well and that's 5 of them that have been unable to match his talent and speed in his career. Strange really as Jos Verstappen was a very average driver who never won a race in his own career.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5158: Mar 28, 2021 04:38:16 pm

Looks like Lewis and Mercedes have pincered Max on strategy here. Potentially divergent strategies but first blood to Lewis. He now leads!!

This is what I love, the top two in different strategies. Means that everything is in play until the very last round of pit stops!

Lando having an excellent race as well! Alonso - driving like the master he is too.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5159: Mar 28, 2021 04:40:33 pm
      Looks like Lewis and Mercedes have pincered Max on strategy here. Potentially divergent strategies but first blood to Lewis. He now leads!!

Lando having an excellent race as well! Alonso - driving like the master he is too.

Put wrong name down.  :f_doh: I meant Lando  :f_doh: :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5160: Mar 28, 2021 04:56:55 pm
      Oh no! Those hard tyres not quite doing the long job that Lewis wanted them to do. Advantage Max?

Alonso having a terrible time in this middle stint. Dropped right back
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5161: Mar 28, 2021 05:07:20 pm
      Mercedes absolutely fu**ed it with the Bottas pit stop. Taking him out of the prospect of being a spoiler for Max. Dropped it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5162: Mar 28, 2021 05:21:24 pm
      Only 44 laps gone and my driver of the day already Lando. Can't wait to see him in a Merc or Red Bull.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5163: Mar 28, 2021 05:22:56 pm
      Mercedes absolutely fu**ed it with the Bottas pit stop. Taking him out of the prospect of being a spoiler for Max. Dropped it.

Spoiled the show did that.  :f_doh:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5164: Mar 28, 2021 05:43:58 pm
      One word.......

EPIC
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5165: Mar 28, 2021 05:50:18 pm
      Ha ha!! What a steal and what a display by Lewis. He was second favourite for a good chunk of that race after their initial strategy didn't pull off. And he still prevails against a quicker Red Bull.

It just goes to show, track position is everything... and all about the fella driving that car.

Amazing. What a race.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5166: Mar 28, 2021 06:05:53 pm
      Only 44 laps gone and my driver of the day already Lando. Can't wait to see him in a Merc or Red Bull.

Just looking at the final classification after all that drama at the front. What a fine result for Lando. 4th place but 20 seconds ahead of Ricciardo as well? Try to rack my brain and wondering if Ricciardo was caught in a scrap but nothing comes to mind. If not, then what a statement!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5167: Mar 28, 2021 06:16:21 pm
      Just looking at the final classification after all that drama at the front. What a fine result for Lando. 4th place but 20 seconds ahead of Ricciardo as well? Try to rack my brain and wondering if Ricciardo was caught in a scrap but nothing comes to mind. If not, then what a statement!

Absolutely, thing is we both think Lando faster than Russell too.  ;D For all those who think F1 is boring because Hammy had the faster car that wasn't the case today. Red Bull had the faster car. However, Hammy not the GOAT for nothing.  :D He continues to prove the doubters wrong.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5168: Mar 28, 2021 09:14:43 pm
      Absolutely, thing is we both think Lando faster than Russell too.  ;D For all those who think F1 is boring because Hammy had the faster car that wasn't the case today. Red Bull had the faster car. However, Hammy not the GOAT for nothing.  :D He continues to prove the doubters wrong.

Russell and Norris in the Mercedes post Lewis. (Hopefully a couple of years at least, as Lewis showed today!

Bang the pair of them in there!

But more than happy to continue watching Lewis in the Merc for a good while yet. Talk of him retiring is ridiculous - he's got at least 4 more great seasons in him. Personally, I Don think he's ever been as good as he has been the last 12 months. We are at peak Hamilton so don't even consider retirement yet Lewis! (My big regret in F1 down the years is thinking that Schumacher retired 2 seasons too early. Think Michael could easily have gone on to win one of those titles in 07 or 08. But, Di Montezemolo thought he knew better.)

P. S - Who's your Driver of the day Keith? Would love to give it to Lando, and Perez had a storming display as well. But it has to be Lewis for me under such pressure to make a risky and difficult strategy pay off.

And though we didn't see much of him today. I actually thought Bottas drove a superb race as well. Fantastic by the Finn.
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2021 09:21:46 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5169: Mar 28, 2021 10:11:53 pm
      Russell and Norris in the Mercedes post Lewis. (Hopefully a couple of years at least, as Lewis showed today!

Bang the pair of them in there!

But more than happy to continue watching Lewis in the Merc for a good while yet. Talk of him retiring is ridiculous - he's got at least 4 more great seasons in him. Personally, I Don think he's ever been as good as he has been the last 12 months. We are at peak Hamilton so don't even consider retirement yet Lewis! (My big regret in F1 down the years is thinking that Schumacher retired 2 seasons too early. Think Michael could easily have gone on to win one of those titles in 07 or 08. But, Di Montezemolo thought he knew better.)

P. S - Who's your Driver of the day Keith? Would love to give it to Lando, and Perez had a storming display as well. But it has to be Lewis for me under such pressure to make a risky and difficult strategy pay off.

And though we didn't see much of him today. I actually thought Bottas drove a superb race as well. Fantastic by the Finn.

Well I voted my driver of the day on 44 laps  ironically and it wasn't Lewis  ;D Thought Lando was awesome, bit premature of me really as I should know better.  Think Perez got the official driver of the day but considering he was in the fastest car (( red bull on paper ) I thought he still under achieved given red bulls advantage over McLaren.

The more I watch Lando the more impressive he gets. The younger drivers on the grid do look like their could Well be another world class driver or two coming through the the ranks. Makes exciting reading for the years to come.

Like you I hope Lewis doesn't retire but really worried if he does make it No 8 he has other things in life he wants to achieve.

I'm hoping the Mercs have the new floor/diffuser up and running for the next race. It will be a defining moment in the early stage of the season if Lewis is to dominate again. The biased side of me wants it to improve the car but from what I saw today I much prefer to have the white knuckle rides watching the last 5 or so laps today.  ;D

Looking like great times for the sport though based on today's proceedings.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #5170: Mar 29, 2021 08:18:48 pm
      Missed the race live but enjoyed the highlights.

Lewis continues to prove he is simply the best around and although RedBull and Max will push hard this season its still hard to bet against Hamilton for the title.

Checo fantastic finish from a pit lane start and Lando again impressive.

Think we're in for a great season folks.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5171: Mar 29, 2021 10:56:51 pm
      Well I voted my driver of the day on 44 laps  ironically and it wasn't Lewis  ;D Thought Lando was awesome, bit premature of me really as I should know better.  Think Perez got the official driver of the day but considering he was in the fastest car (( red bull on paper ) I thought he still under achieved given red bulls advantage over McLaren.

The more I watch Lando the more impressive he gets. The younger drivers on the grid do look like their could Well be another world class driver or two coming through the the ranks. Makes exciting reading for the years to come.

Like you I hope Lewis doesn't retire but really worried if he does make it No 8 he has other things in life he wants to achieve.

I'm hoping the Mercs have the new floor/diffuser up and running for the next race. It will be a defining moment in the early stage of the season if Lewis is to dominate again. The biased side of me wants it to improve the car but from what I saw today I much prefer to have the white knuckle rides watching the last 5 or so laps today.  ;D

Looking like great times for the sport though based on today's proceedings.

Yeah, given Mercedes relentlessness I wouldn't be surprised to see them steal a march. Like yourself, I probably don't want them to because if they do that and coupled with Lewis in the car, it's game over for everyone else.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5172: Apr 12, 2021 07:52:11 pm
      Love this video that appeared on YouTube today. Schumi v Montoya was always ridiculously over the top. Two drivers who simply would not compromise in their racing - and of course it more often than not ended with one or both of them off the race track! (Also, just hear the scream of that V10! Bring them back I say!  :D)

https://youtu.be/SOuw96-JHGo
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #5173: Apr 15, 2021 07:32:39 pm
      Today is kind of a weird f1 anniversary for me. It's 20 years since the 2001 San Marino Grand Prix, won by Ralf Schumacher... his first GP win in a suped up mighty Williams BMW. I'd dipped in and out of f1 the previous couple of years but it was the preceding race in Brazil (won by DC in a dry/wet race) that kind of sealed the deal so I made a firm commitment to watch everything that was broadcast on ITV that weekend.

So, 10 years old, Imola 2001 was the first race when I became a hardcore f1 fan. F***ing obsessed. Residing memory was being gutted that Michael retired with a gearbox failure early on. But there was weird joy in seeing his brother Ralf win the GP (loved the fluorescent yellow helmet) , and deservedly so. He was bloody great that afternoon (and throughout a lot of 2001 from what I recall).

It will be weird seeing a couple of drivers from that afternoon take to the grid at Imola this weekend once more. Go Kimi and Fernando!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,988 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5174: Apr 16, 2021 09:55:48 am
      The more I watch Lando Norris the more excited I get. To think he's still couple of years behind Verstappen (23) & Norris (21) I just can't help thinking what his improvement will be like this year.

Quick Reply