Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Formula 1

Read 577335 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #5635: Sep 15, 2021 10:42:11 pm
      Surprised any F1 fan isn't a Schumacher fan.

Senna apart he's my all time favourite.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5636: Sep 15, 2021 10:56:03 pm
      Surprised any F1 fan isn't a Schumacher fan.

Senna apart he's my all time favourite.

It's his dark side on the track that put me off. He could be a bit of a dirty driver and crossed the limit a few times.
      However, I'm absolutely not questioning his talent. He's arguably the greatest of all time. And he also seemed to be a very decent family man.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #5637: Sep 15, 2021 10:57:39 pm
      It's his dark side on the track that put me off. He could be a bit of a dirty driver and crossed the limit a few times.
      However, I'm absolutely not questioning his talent. He's arguably the greatest of all time. And he also seemed to be a very decent family man.

It's his dark side on the track at times that makes him all the more interesting for me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2100 
      Reply #5638: Sep 15, 2021 11:13:03 pm

I would say a flawed side to him as opposed to dark. As Si said, trying to untangle that side of him makes him fascinating. Hand on heart, I genuinely believe what he did against Hill, Villeneuve, etc were instinctive moments that exposed a panic in him at being caught unaware. I never believed they were premeditated incidents in the same way that Senna took out Prost in Japan. Regardless, that instinct still landed on the same side of unsportsmanlike behaviour in the same way it did for Senna.

I was just watching some videos of his earlier from when he and Ferrari were at the peak of their powers. He drove every lap in those machines on the Sunday like it was qualifying on the Saturday. There was a remarkable one where he won the French Grand Prix in 2004 on a 4 stopper. Pounding in hot lap after hot lap. Slap and dash each time! Awe inspiring - the intensity and physical pressure to keep that up for over an hour and a half must have been unlike any other. Man and machine operating at the very apex. Many people overlook that period because it was so dominant, so...boring to some. But looking back, I don't think performance in f1 has ever looked so perfect and so relentless.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5639: Sep 16, 2021 10:17:28 am

I wouldn't argue with anyone who said he was, he goes in that category anyway along with Senna & Hamilton
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2100 
      Reply #5640: Sep 24, 2021 10:28:53 am
      Listening to f1 practice on BBC 5 Live. Jolyon Palmer and Jack Nicholls are a really good commentary pairing. Similar to DC and Alex Jacques on C4. Puts into perspective how poor the Sky Sports commentary team is. You often feel they're trying to play up to something on Sky Sports with "Crofty" and Martin Brundle (who I feel is less about insight these days and more about opinion. It's a shame, during the days of ITV, especially when he was Murray's co commentator, he was immense).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #5641: Sep 24, 2021 10:54:05 am
      Listening to f1 practice on BBC 5 Live. Jolyon Palmer and Jack Nicholls are a really good commentary pairing. Similar to DC and Alex Jacques on C4. Puts into perspective how poor the Sky Sports commentary team is. You often feel they're trying to play up to something on Sky Sports with "Crofty" and Martin Brundle (who I feel is less about insight these days and more about opinion. It's a shame, during the days of ITV, especially when he was Murray's co commentator, he was immense).

I far much prefer the Ch4 team and while I don't always get to see the race live when I do I'm always thinking I'd sooner have DC, Mark Webber, Steve Jones and the gang.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5642: Sep 25, 2021 12:58:24 pm
      Out of curiosity, I opened the first page of the thread. It was a funny little trip down memory lane...

Are there any new drivers to watch out for this year ?

Think there is a new English fella.. completely forgotten his name.

The new English fella? Lewis Hamilton  :D
      Who could have foreseen what he would become...

As for this weekend GP, Bottas is usually pretty strong in Russia, so it'll be interesting to see what Mercedes will do with team orders.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2100 
      Reply #5643: Sep 25, 2021 02:07:13 pm
      Wow! Lando on pole!! Carlos Sainz in second and Russell in third. Russell really is the quali master! Lewis only 4th after clobbering the wall in the pits. It's another one of those mistakes that is giving Red Bull hope!

But Lando Norris! Fantastic!
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5644: Sep 25, 2021 02:14:13 pm
      Amazing quali!

The front 3 is just brilliant. It's great to see something different. No Mercs or Red Bull up front should make for an interesting race.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #5645: Sep 25, 2021 02:17:04 pm
      Gotta love Lando.

Superstar of the future.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #5646: Sep 25, 2021 02:49:08 pm
      Lewis once again with an unforced error...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5647: Sep 25, 2021 02:50:38 pm
      Wow! Lando on pole!! Carlos Sainz in second and Russell in third. Russell really is the quali master! Lewis only 4th after clobbering the wall in the pits. It's another one of those mistakes that is giving Red Bull hope!

But Lando Norris! Fantastic!

Great to see Lando on pole but yet again another mistake by Hammy coming into the pits. Hmmm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5648: Sep 25, 2021 02:51:20 pm
      Gotta love Lando.

Superstar of the future.

I'm hoping so and think so, just hope it's in a Merc
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5649: Sep 25, 2021 03:12:39 pm
      Great to see Lando on pole but yet again another mistake by Hammy coming into the pits. Hmmm

To be fair, I noticed many drivers losing control in the pit entry. He's just the only one that touched the wall.
      But spinning barely 2 minutes after that first incident, that's just too many mistakes in a row.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5650: Sep 25, 2021 03:24:22 pm
      To be fair, I noticed many drivers losing control in the pit entry. He's just the only one that touched the wall.
      But spinning barely 2 minutes after that first incident, that's just too many mistakes in a row.

Shall I mention his other mistake knocking one of our mechanics over.  :roll:  ;D
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5651: Sep 25, 2021 03:29:50 pm
      Shall I mention his other mistake knocking one of our mechanics over.  :roll:  ;D

I forgot about that one!
      Perhaps it was intentional and he just doesn't like the guy...  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5652: Sep 25, 2021 03:32:13 pm
      I forgot about that one!
      Perhaps it was intentional and he just doesn't like the guy...  ;D

:lmao: Think he thought it was Venstappen on a part time job since he had no ride  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2100 
      Reply #5653: Sep 25, 2021 06:50:34 pm
      F**k - just realised top 3 is McLaren, Ferrari, Williams. The only three teams in F1 that matter. It's just like the old days!!!

edit: The last time those three teams started a Grand Prix in the top 3 grid slots??? Brazilian Grand Prix 2004 (won by this fella in his last race for Williams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMe6fWHAtM
      « Last Edit: Sep 25, 2021 08:10:13 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #5654: Sep 25, 2021 09:41:47 pm
      F**k - just realised top 3 is McLaren, Ferrari, Williams. The only three teams in F1 that matter. It's just like the old days!!!

edit: The last time those three teams started a Grand Prix in the top 3 grid slots??? Brazilian Grand Prix 2004 (won by this fella in his last race for Williams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMe6fWHAtM

It's been sad to see Williams struggles over the last few years and hope they are on the right track and also I really hope McLaren keep improving and become a proper title contender.

Like you those three are the backbone of F1 for me.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5655: Sep 25, 2021 11:36:18 pm

Technically, it should have been the 2012 Spanish GP, the famous Maldonado win. But Lewis got a grid penalty.

Still, it's crazy to think it's been so long.

Couldn't agree more with this:

Like you those three are the backbone of F1 for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #5656: Sep 26, 2021 01:56:45 pm
      Interesting enough race so far
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5657: Sep 26, 2021 02:05:01 pm
      Bottas has been so bad this season...
      You could hear the disappointment/anger in Toto Wolff's voice when he told him to get the cars in front.

Quick Reply