Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Best Keeper?

Read 6467 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Best Keeper?
      Reply #23: Jul 28, 2009 01:11:33 am
      Thank You. Which keepers have u witnessed at Liverpool in your lifetime ?
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #24: Jul 28, 2009 01:27:24 am
      Pretty much the same as yourself mate, I'm only 19 so I remember James as well. But I reckon your right, Reina is by far the best I've seen
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #25: Jul 28, 2009 01:52:07 am
      I've only seen Pepe Reina, Jerzy Dudek, Chris Kirkland or those from Sander Westerveld's time.

I'd go with Pepe Reina being the best. He has had his hard times but also had much more brilliant saves. And didn't he achieve 100 cleansheets faster than any keeper in Liverpool or something? That's a great stat considering football is much more faster now.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #26: Jul 28, 2009 09:52:15 am
      Thank You. Which keepers have u witnessed at Liverpool in your lifetime ?

Im an al fart born in '52.

Seen most of them starting with the flying pig Tommy Lawrence.

Head to Head ?: 

Its definitely Pepe and Clemo.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #27: Jul 28, 2009 10:06:08 am
      So, my vote is Bruce just edging Ray with Pepe definitely having the potential to surpass them both but only if he can stay 400 games plus and he still needs to improve just a bit yet, particularly in dominating the box when crosses come in. He still has too many wobbles for my liking in that regard.

Not always a problem, that! ;)

GROBBELAAR - asRoma-Liverpool 1984
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #28: Jul 28, 2009 06:05:56 pm
      My heart says Brucie, but my head says Clem.

My humour valve says Mike Hooper for his ability to fall out of the way of penalties (always to his right).
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #29: Jul 28, 2009 06:15:40 pm
      Clem.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #30: Jul 28, 2009 06:17:38 pm
      vtorres  Am the same mate never seen the likes of Clem and Bruce i wish i did like am only saying Pepe as he been the best in my life time
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #31: Jul 28, 2009 06:56:58 pm
      Whats the eldest keeper you've seen play ?
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #32: Jul 28, 2009 07:12:23 pm
      How far can i Remember probs James about the mid late 90's am only 17 you?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #33: Jul 28, 2009 07:14:08 pm
      Erm Westerveld i think. I am younger than you.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #34: Jul 28, 2009 10:30:38 pm
      Has to be Clem. Brucie was probably the most agile ever. Clem didn't need to be so, as he was always in the right place positionally. Would have had far more England caps if Peter Shilton hadn't been so far up Bobby Robsons arse, and sucking up to a continuation of england managers. What a F***ing creep. Defo second best.Clem was No 1. as was sung on the kop, Englands Englands No1, Englands No 1. He was like a second center half he was so quick off his line.  Pepe may get there, but has a way to go yet.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #35: Jul 29, 2009 10:59:05 am
      Im fortunate enough to have seen Clemo and Brucie play year after year and i wouldnt want any other keeper of their own eras between our sticks. Dont get me wrong Clemo was the ultimate goalie but brucie was up there at the same level for me. People used to focus too much on the odd mistake by Bruce but ALL top keepers F**k up from time to time including Clemo![remember the old king kenny through his legs episode for England for one]. Just read any of the autobiographies of players who played with him and youll see what they thought of his abilities.
      And now our Pepe is the only other outstanding candidate, 3 golden gloves and counting and a superb keeper. In a couple more years he will rightly be spoken of in the same right as the above.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Jul 29, 2009 04:26:56 pm
      I'm with you paulboo, i only seen clem play on tv and vids/dvd, but i did have the privilege to see brucie from the early eighties thru to the early nineties, i can remember how he used to let us know the score with his hands behind his back and of his many antics and crazy moments, especially the wobbly knees routine, i still laugh at the way he runs away clapping his hands, f***in quality, imo i'm putting brucie a tad ahead of clem simply because i seen him play, with pepe a very close third but getting closer, jerzy deserves a mention of coarse for istanbul, a performance that goes down in folklore.

ynwa   irwt
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #37: Jul 30, 2009 07:38:08 pm
      Clemence was the best closely followed by Pepe ,not forgetting that the ball was much different in the days of Clemence,when it got wet it was heavy and could damage wrists easier , this i feel has to taken into account ....Pepe will probably surpass Clemence's brilliance in a couple of years though
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #38: Jul 30, 2009 08:14:13 pm
      Just look at what Clemence won nobody can touch him.Pepe has won an FA cup.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #39: Jul 30, 2009 09:47:52 pm
      Just look at what Clemence won nobody can touch him.Pepe has won an FA cup.

So F***ing what lad?

Dudek has a Champions League and League Cup winners medal does that make him better than Pepe? No it doesn't. And football players aren't judged on what they've won if they were Billy Liddell wouldn't be considered a legend of this club because he won nothing, Torres has won nothing so therefore he isn't better than Milan Baros because Baros won more.
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009 12:06:48 am by dunlop liddell shankly »
      FAHERBY
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 31, 2009 12:54:50 am
      Unfortunately I never say Clem play only in videos - so going off that I think Pepe just pips it for me.
      James looked like he was going to be the best goalie ever but became afraid of high crossed balls and I started to get the gitters with him in big games.
      Dudek was amazing in Istanbul that night for us and solid carreer for reds.
      Grob was mentally as tough as nails - & fuuny too, but Pepe is calm & so dependable I can't go pass him!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: Jul 31, 2009 10:03:01 am
      So f**king what lad?

Dudek has a Champions League and League Cup winners medal does that make him better than Pepe? No it doesn't. And football players aren't judged on what they've won if they were Billy Liddell wouldn't be considered a legend of this club because he won nothing, Torres has won nothing so therefore he isn't better than Milan Baros because Baros won more.
      Billy I must take you to task over my hero Billy Liddell,he did win a first division  league champions medal in 1947.I agree with the rest of your post.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Jul 31, 2009 10:10:11 am
      I'd say Clem and Bruce ahead of Pepe, if Pepe can improve his one-on-one shot blocking then he may well become the best ever.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #43: Jul 31, 2009 01:23:51 pm
      Dont try absurd comments to prove a point its disrespectful and I thought more of you and your knowledge of Liverpool. Clemence won 3 European Cups 5 league titles 2 Eufa cups 1 FA cup and 1 league cup. He also let in 16 goals in a 42 game season.If that dosent make him our best ever goal keeper then I dont know what he would have had to do to be classed as our no.1. Iv'e seen all our Goalies since Tommy Lawrence and Clemence was virtually unbeatable at times and his shot stopping out of this world. Pepe is still young and is making a name for him self quite rightly but he will have to do a lot more to be considered above Clemence.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #44: Jul 31, 2009 02:58:53 pm
      Seen videos of Clemence playing, I thought in terms of commanding the area and the defence he was boss at doing it. I think he is the best of the best Liverpool has seen, but Reina is coming behind, real quick. Reina is catching him up and at the rate that he is going, he might go down as the best Liverpool keeper ever, better than Clemence, but Reina is helped by the fact that we've got a rock in front of him that is unbeatable - Jamie Carra.

Dudek deserves special mention as well, I thought that he was the hero in Istanbul and I will never forget his double save, his wobbly legs as well. He was one of the most eccentric keepers but when it was time to be serious he was.. And his shot stopping was amazing.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #45: Jul 31, 2009 03:07:01 pm
      Whatever Dudek did before Istanbul dosent matter to me. I agree he should be thought of in the highest terms for his heroics that night maybe a special category of most amazing career defined in one night. Iv'e watched his save frame by frame and I dont think he gets enough credit for it. Clemence was an acrobatic goal keeper with unbelievable agility he did have a weakness by his own admission he was a lousy kicker and had to work very hard on that part of his game.

Quick Reply