Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

New Arctic Monkeys Album

Read 3719 times
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 881 posts | 25 
      New Arctic Monkeys Album
      Jul 28, 2009 02:24:39 am
      Humbug, the band's thrid album, is going to be released at the end of August. The first single from it is Crying Lightning. It's very different from anything they've done before and I'm not too impressed to be honest.

Arctic Monkeys Crying Lightning (Official Music Video)
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Re: New Arctic Monkeys Album
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2009 02:32:22 am
      I used to love Artic Monkeys but I'm not loving there new stuff unfortunately.  :-\
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2009 02:40:25 am
      Shall have a listen to some of the new songs, usually the odd one leaked out somewhere like most albums.

Cant say i have liked their previous albums too much first of all but they grew on me :laugh:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2009 09:44:13 am
      I do quite like the songs that they have released, and I do have their albums - never been bothered enough though to listen to the rest of their songs. I did go to see them live, it was okay.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: Aug 06, 2009 03:22:29 pm
      Well I got this album a few weeks ago. Most of the songs took a few listens to grow on me but they have now. Pretty Visitors, The Fire and the Thud and Dangerous Animals are my favourites. Although Cornerstone and Potion Approaching are also great. Crying Lightning is probably the weakest track on the album. This is probably my favourite of their three.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #5: Aug 06, 2009 07:13:31 pm
      I've been listening this for a couple of days now 'robbo. F**k but it's dark, and menacing!......love it!   >:D

With both Josh Homme (QOTSA) and James Ford (LSP) having a hand in producing different parts: Homme, the darker, ominous tracks and Ford the more melodic tracks; I found the album, as a whole, a wonderfully uneven listen. There are only two tracks ('Pretty Visitors' & 'Potion Approaching'), to my mind, that still have the familiar 'old' Arctic Monkeys sound. I will understand if people don't like the lack of both flow and 'pop' tunes..... It does take a bit of listening, to be honest and some may not give it that chance.

My personal favourites are 'Secret Door', 'Conerstone' and 'Dance Little Liar'. All in all, an album that grows with every listen. My advice to everyone get it and persist with it.... :gt-happyup:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Aug 06, 2009 07:31:50 pm
      Cant be as bad as their last one!!!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #7: Aug 07, 2009 12:18:15 am
      I've been listening this for a couple of days now 'robbo. F**k but it's dark, and menacing!......love it!   >:D

With both Josh Homme (QOTSA) and James Ford (LSP) having a hand in producing different parts: Homme, the darker, ominous tracks and Ford the more melodic tracks; I found the album, as a whole, a wonderfully uneven listen. There are only two tracks ('Pretty Visitors' & 'Potion Approaching'), to my mind, that still have the familiar 'old' Arctic Monkeys sound. I will understand if people don't like the lack of both flow and 'pop' tunes..... It does take a bit of listening, to be honest and some may not give it that chance.

My personal favourites are 'Secret Door', 'Conerstone' and 'Dance Little Liar'. All in all, an album that grows with every listen. My advice to everyone get it and persist with it.... :gt-happyup:

I know what you mean by how it grows every time you listen to it. Care to guess which three James Ford produced if you don't already know? I don't know myself, but I'd guess Cornerstone, Secret Door and The Jeweller's Hands.

I tell you what. Turner can't half write some amazing lyrics. He's matured so much since WPSIATWIN. My favourite at the moment is "The way you keep me in pursuit/Sharpen the heel of your boot/Then you press it in my chest and you make me weeze/And to my knees you do promote me", but the lyrics on this album beat the previous two by a mile.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Aug 07, 2009 08:11:23 am
      I'm 99% sure 'Secret Door' was produced by Homme 'robbo. I'm heavily into my lyrics and often find myself debating with my good lady and my mates that lyrics make a song great, not melody - Turner never fails to deliver on this front.

It's growing and growing on me - 'My Propeller' (a song about one's *ahem 'wee soldier', i think) is brilliant and 'Dangerous Animals' is only let down by Turner spelling out the word dangerous.

They don't dwell on the past with this offering and show how much they've matured; if listeners give it the chance it deserves this they'll deffo reap the rewards. Best of the three so far, methinks.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #9: Aug 07, 2009 11:33:52 am
      I'm 99% sure 'Secret Door' was produced by Homme 'robbo. I'm heavily into my lyrics and often find myself debating with my good lady and my mates that lyrics make a song great, not melody - Turner never fails to deliver on this front.

It's growing and growing on me - 'My Propeller' (a song about one's *ahem 'wee soldier', I think) is brilliant and 'Dangerous Animals' is only let down by Turner spelling out the word dangerous.

They don't dwell on the past with this offering and show how much they've matured; if listeners give it the chance it deserves this they'll deffo reap the rewards. Best of the three so far, methinks.

Just noticed that about 'My Propeller' :lmao:.

Thats what I first thought about Dangerous Animals but once I'd looked past that it's become my favourite for the moment. I wonder if 'Bite Mark In A Terror Pocket' and 'Sandtrap' will feature as b-sides on a single. Be a shame if not. They aren't on the Crying Lightning single.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Aug 07, 2009 04:08:27 pm
      I wonder if 'Bite Mark In A Terror Pocket' and 'Sandtrap' will feature as b-sides on a single. Be a shame if not.

It's a bit strange that they 'only play them live' but yeah, you would expect them to make an appearance somewhere....listening to it again as i type and i'm 'hearing' more and more. I'm glad i've given it time.....fecking brilliant, i tells ya!...even 'The Jeweller's Hands' is working for me now.  8)
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: Aug 07, 2009 06:56:34 pm
      It's a bit strange that they 'only play them live' but yeah, you would expect them to make an appearance somewhere....listening to it again as I type and I'm 'hearing' more and more. I'm glad I've given it time.....fecking brilliant, I tells ya!...even 'The Jeweller's Hands' is working for me now.  8)

Listen to it through some top of the range headphones or speaker (expensive like) and you can really hear how good the Homme/Ford producing is on this album. A lot of reverb floating around in the mix.

I loved 'The Jeweller's Hands' on first listen. Sandtrap is F***ing great live.

Quick Reply