Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool to Real Madrid)

Read 21061 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Alvaro Arbeloa (Liverpool to R.Madrid)
      Reply #69: Jul 29, 2009 08:26:08 pm
      If you consider the money owed from Crouch and the sale of Keane then no effectively we never got him for Free as we were owed the money from Crouch 7million is 7 million it's not nothing ! as with Keane we were paid a sum of money for him and if we used 10 million of that towards Johnson its still 10 million again it's not nothing, it's a combined total of 17 million, I'm really pleased you can dismiss 17 million as nothing you must be up there with the Abramovich's of this world. What it does say though is Rafa has not spent any of this years transfer budget if that appears to be case as the money r.e Crouch & Keane is from last years sales.

Back on topic:

The transfer of Arbeloa was pretty much expected as he has maintained he wanted to go home to Spain, so give the lad credit where credit is due, he gave rock steady performances last season knowing he wanted to return home and conducted himself in the manner of letting every one associated with Liverpool Football Club know of his intentions at the earliest possible time... Good luck Arby
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #70: Jul 29, 2009 08:26:44 pm
      Firstly you shouldn't use the lords name in vain.

Secondly, despite how much we physically gave them.  Johnson cost £16 million.  The banks would see that Portsmouth owed us money and would allow us to borrow money off that, so we have lost £7million off our budget and added £9million.  Total £16 mil.  If Aston Villa for example bought Johnson they would have to pay £16mil.  So how can you say we only paid £9mil. 

Use the maths.

For a start don't tell me what i should and shouldn't do.

Secondly, the money Pompey owed us was to paid over a period of time so it wouldn't have had much of an effect on any money we borrow.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #71: Jul 29, 2009 08:53:09 pm
      For crying out loud some people need to realise that when a player is entering his last year of contract the team who want him dictate 90% of the deal if the other team is willing to sell.

We're not all retards, we already know that. I said that I would of preferred him to stay and go for nothing. That was my opinion it has nothing to do if the club is willing to sell or not. My preference would of for him to have stayed.

We need to sign a key player and every bit of money we can raise helps, so saying would have rather seen him leave for free is bollocks.

No it's not bollocks. One of the reasons we fell short last year was a lack of strength in depth, if Arby had stayed and had been able to fill in when/if Johnson gets injured and it led to helping us win the league then I would quite happily lose him for nothing.

Also need to get this idea out of some people's heads that there will be no back up at Right back now. Yes Degen has looked a bit dodgy during pre season but no one has really truly shined and he has had a year of injuries so why write him off when he could be good back up. Also there is Carra who can play at RB and Darby has played there a couple of times.

Arby got injured last season at times, so we had Carra there (who we all know hates to play there) Skrtel playing there against Boro and he had a mare, unlikely to see him there again. If Johnson was to get a long term injury then we can't rely on a Darby, as an unknown quantity, the jump in class is huge between first team an reserves. Degen has only been here one season, so that's all I can judge him on, and as it is he was always injured. And it wasn't as if they were major injuries, just constant niggling ones, which indicates he is injury prone. Would love to be proved wrong, but I don't fancy putting to much faith in him. So we're back to square one with no recognized RB back up.

Regarding Owen I couldn't give a sh*t but will answer you. I wasn't too bothered because he hadn't been that good in his last season, we had Baros who at the time was looking good and we also had Cisse. Owen was also replaced because Garcia could play up front.

At the time he was worth upwards of 25mill. We got a pathetic 8mill plus a Madrid reject, if that didn't annoy you then you must take a lot of winding up.

Finally, we did not pay 16mill for Johnson because Pompey owed us around 7mill anyway and that was included in the deal, we only put about 9 or 10mill into the deal.

I never mentioned the price of Johnson but, yes we did pay 16mill, no matter what way you look at it, we we're eventually going to get that 7mill back, it wasn't going to disappear just because it was owed over a period of time. I'm not bothered by the Johnson deal, it was always going to be expensive with him having just signed a contract, had his best season and the fact he was English. But no matter what way it is looked at it was 16mill.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #72: Jul 29, 2009 08:57:05 pm
      RedWilly -

If you look at my post i was quoting both you and boot in the same post.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #73: Jul 29, 2009 08:59:33 pm
      For a start don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do.

Secondly, the money Pompey owed us was to paid over a period of time so it wouldn't have had much of an effect on any money we borrow.

It was all due this summer I heard.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #74: Jul 29, 2009 09:02:35 pm
      RedWilly -

If you look at my post I was quoting both you and boot in the same post.
      So you did, apologies.

P.S this isn't me backing down my point still stands ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #75: Jul 29, 2009 09:03:06 pm
      It was all due this summer I heard.

I thought it was over a period of time and depended on other player sales at Pompey, which now with the sale of Crouch as it happens, would have in theory been able to pay it all back this summer.

If it was all due this summer as you say then that could be one of the many reasons why they are having to sell players to pay debts etc.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #76: Jul 30, 2009 03:56:12 am
      Thank God we made some profit on him,I was wondering if we would again be duped with his transfer deal taking too long to be completed.A great performer for us last season but won't miss him as Glen would be even better.Looking forward to seeing you snuggling on the Madrid bench but you would sure would be grateful to God that you are not out on the pitch when we come visiting Madrid again
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #77: Jul 30, 2009 02:39:08 pm
      ARBELOA: REDS MADE ME BETTER
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165237090730-1230.htm

As he prepares to begin a new chapter in his career with Real Madrid, the Spain defender feels his Anfield days will stand him in good stead for the challenges that lie ahead in La Liga.

"Liverpool are a club with an impressive history, with lots of success," said the 26-year-old.

"In England they are the team with the most titles, so I've already experienced that pressure and I hope that will help me now with this challenge, which is clearly the biggest in my career.

"I think I've become a better footballer and also matured. When you play at a club like Liverpool you have the chance to play with great players, I've also been called up by Spain and we've won the European Championships, so in these years I've learned a huge amount.

"It's made me a much better player and I hope to be able to show it, which in the end is the important thing."

The transfer will see Arbeloa rejoin the club where he began his professional career after Real plucked him from Real Zaragoza's youth setup.

However, the full-back was restricted to just two senior run-outs during his first spell at the Bernabeu and admits he is determined to improve on that figure this time around.

He added: "My objective is to give it everything in training and try to win myself a place in the team, which is the objective of any player.

"And of course I want to help my teammates and the team to win titles, which in the end is what counts."

Reading this just gives me the impression that he is using Liverpool to join up with Real again. Anyone have any of these thoughts?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #78: Jul 30, 2009 03:19:23 pm
      Reading this just gives me the impression that he is using Liverpool to join up with Real again. Anyone have any of these thoughts?

Not to me, RoF though it sounds like he's been dreaming of Madrid ever since he came here.
      I don't think he expected himself to be in Madrid's books again but due to Rafa's brilliance, Arby became a world class defender.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #79: Jul 30, 2009 03:20:23 pm
      Good look in the future Arby i'm sure you'll win lots of Europa Leagues
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #80: Jul 30, 2009 03:24:28 pm
      As he prepares to begin a new chapter in his career with Real Madrid, the Spain defender feels his Anfield days will stand him in good stead for the challenges that lie ahead in La Liga.

"In England they are the team with the most titles, so I've already experienced that pressure and I hope that will help me now with this challenge, which is clearly the biggest in my career.

A stepping stone to the La Liga then :mad:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #81: Jul 30, 2009 03:27:58 pm
      Think people may be reading into this
      feels his Anfield days will stand him in good stead for the challenges that lie ahead in La Liga
      far too much. It's totally understandable that he used us as a stepping stone in a way because he started his career in Spain but never really played or made an impact and he wants the chance to do that in his homeland.

He was a great player for us and i wish him good luck in Spain and hopes he can establish himself out there in the way he wants to and the way he did with us.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #82: Jul 30, 2009 04:01:30 pm
      Johnson better though he wont get a game at Madrid bench warmer
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #83: Jul 30, 2009 04:10:49 pm
      I disagree mate, I think Arby will get a run of games at Madrid, he has not gone there to warm to the bench, come back at the end of the season if I'm wrong and tell me you told me so.

Yes ROF he probably has used us a stepping stone to launch his career but he has always been honest and up-front about returning to Spain but at least he still gave his all for us and the cause whilst donning the mighty red shirt. I sincerely wish the lad all the best and hope he gets what he wanted from the move.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #84: Jul 30, 2009 04:32:03 pm
      w**ker. No respect for him. Not now and never again.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #85: Jul 30, 2009 04:48:05 pm
      My God, I thought everyone had this implanted in their head by now:

It was the last year of his contract - he could have left for free next season and to demand anything over 5m is ridiculous.

3.4m quid in the bank and an ungrateful man on his way out. Dont let the door hit you, Alvaro.

Read He wanted a £50,000.00/week and Liverpool FC was not willing to meet that demand. Liked him. But we have enough cover in Carragher, Johnson and the young lad.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #86: Jul 30, 2009 06:25:57 pm
      RedLFCBlood   i take it back mate just seen that the ex Man U  defender Henize is away on loan to France somewhere ? ;D
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #87: Jul 30, 2009 08:27:28 pm
      I wish him all the best and hope he can break into their side, with Heinze leaving he might be used as a left back but i think he would like to play in his natural position to get into Spain team.

He has improved a great deal under Rafa and been a great player for us and i am sorry to see him go but got plenty of cover for his position.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #88: Jul 30, 2009 09:07:56 pm
      Not been a bad player wish him all the best
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #89: Jul 31, 2009 04:41:22 am
      I disagree mate, I think Arby will get a run of games at Madrid, he has not gone there to warm to the bench, come back at the end of the season if I'm wrong and tell me you told me so.

He will be nothing more than a squad player I believe. He won't be ahead of Ramos at RB, Pepe/Albiol at CB and Marcelo at LB. Could get a fair share of games though as he can play anywhere across the back-line.
      Thunderlara
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 107 posts |
      Reply #90: Jul 31, 2009 08:42:44 pm
      I wish him all the best and hope he can break into their side, with Heinze leaving he might be used as a left back but I think he would like to play in his natural position to get into Spain team.

He has improved a great deal under Rafa and been a great player for us and I am sorry to see him go but got plenty of cover for his position.

I feel the same way. What's done is done.
      Let's hope he can have a bit of succes there. I think will be doing just fine without him.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #91: Aug 01, 2009 06:38:38 am
      Wish him well. Did great for us in general though prone to the odd mental lapse. Know he was in his last contractual year but would be nice to sell non spine for a little more than a pittance for a change

Quick Reply