Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Schumacher Returns - wait ... no he doesn't - Or Will he?

Read 6560 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Schumacher Returns - wait ... no he doesn't - Or Will he?
      Jul 29, 2009 07:48:47 pm
      Schumacher makes shock F1 return

Michael Schumacher will make a shock return to Formula 1 to replace injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.

Ferrari said the 40-year-old will stand in for as long as Massa is sidelined with the serious injuries he sustained in the Hungarian Grand Prix last week.

"For team loyalty reasons I can't ignore this unfortunate situation," said the former Ferrari driver.

His spokesman Sabine Kehm had told the BBC on Tuesday that although Schumacher - who was working as an advisor for Ferrari - was not willing to make a full-time return to F1, he would not rule out standing in for Massa.

But the German racing legend has decided to come out of retirement and make a sensational return, despite admitting: "It is true that the Formula 1 chapter has long been closed for me.

"The most important thing first: thank God, all news concerning Felipe is positive, and I wish him all the best again"

"This afternoon I met with team principal Stefano Domenicali and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe."

"As the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

The German racing legend has not driven an F1 car since April 2008 and now has just over three weeks to prepare himself for Valencia.

The ban on in-season testing means Schumacher will not be able to turn a wheel of the 2009 specification Ferrari before first practice on Friday 21 August.

However, the team have chosen Schumacher ahead of reserve drivers Marc Gene and Luca Badoer to drive for Ferrari whilst Massa continues to recuperate.

"Ferrari intends to entrust Michael Schumacher with Felipe Massa's car for as long as the Brazilian driver is not able to race," a statement said.

"Michael Schumacher has shown his willingness and in the next few days he will undergo a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the championship starting with the European Grand Prix."

Schumacher will undergo an intensive training programme to determine whether he is fit enough to return to the rigours of F1 racing.

Since retiring the German has occasionally taken part in motorcycle events but in February he suffered neck and back injuries in a bike accident.

Those injuries could affect his ability to drive an F1 car which places huge pressures on the neck because of the varying G-forces.

Massa could be out for the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a fractured skull sustained when a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn hit him on the helmet when he was travelling at more than 160mph during qualifying in Hungary on Saturday.

The Brazilian is due to leave intensive care and is making progress, though there is also concern about damage to his left eye.

Schumacher is close to Massa, who was his team-mate in his final season, and has taken a close interest in the Brazilian's career.

BBC Radio 5 Live F1 commentator David Croft believes Schumacher is coming back because of his close relationship with the Brazilian.

"I think he's coming back because it is to replace Felipe Massa, temporarily. He is very close to Felipe, they've had a great relationship over the years," Croft told 5 Live.

"I think it's his way of doing something to help Felipe, and doing something to help Ferrari at the same time, because if you look at the alternatives Ferrari had, they weren't really alternatives."

"Who else is there who could come into Ferrari and hit the ground running, who knows the car, who knows the team, who could give them a podium?"

"The European Grand Prix, which was not one we were looking forward to at the start of this year, has now got a real spice to it."

"Lewis Hamilton against Michael Schumacher for the first time ever? Jenson Button up against Michael Schumacher? How will Kimi Raikkonen respond? It's going to be fascinating."

Schumacher has won a record 91 grands prix in a dazzling Formula 1 career.

In 2004, he captured a seventh world title, five of them for Ferrari and two for Benetton, to become the most successful F1 driver of all time.

Great news this I reckon. So far the F1 season has been crap, at least with this and although it's unfortunate circumstances will brighten the season up a bit.

Also means Alonso can beat him again ;)
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2009 05:57:53 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Tamyka 4 Torres
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 152 posts |
      Re: Schumacher Returns
      Reply #1: Jul 29, 2009 07:52:37 pm
      It's a shame it will only be temporary.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Jul 29, 2009 07:58:52 pm
      Brings some spice back into the competition a bit. As much as i never liked Schuey, im looking forward to seeing what he does.
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 29, 2009 08:21:14 pm
      The one true formula one legend returns.. Ferrari's saviour Michael Schumacher
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2009 09:54:48 pm
      I love this man! Think he is brilliant, recently read a biography on him. Good luck to him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2009 10:57:03 pm
      Interestng. We will see how good he is as the cars a re very different now. Plus he will not have Ross Brawn in the Pits.

But he still is the Dogs Bollocks of F1. Wellcome back Schumacher, we've missed you.

Just for those who do not know of his record in F1
      SCHUMACHER'S F1 RECORD
      1991: Makes F1 debut for Jordan, switches to Benetton
      1992: First Grand Prix win (Belgium), finishes third in the championship
      1994: Wins first world title with Benetton, winning eight races
      1995: Retains world title, winning nine races
      1996: Joins Ferrari
      1997: Finishes season second but is disqualified from championship
      1999: Breaks leg at Silverstone when leading world championship
      2000: Ends Ferrari's 21-year wait for a world title, winning nine races
      2001: Retains world title, again winning nine races
      2002: Quickest ever world title win, with 11 race wins
      2003: Breaks Juan Manuel Fangio's record of five world titles
      2004: Wins seventh and final world title
      2006: Retires at the end of the season
      2009: Announces comeback to fill in for injured Felipe Massa
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2009 11:40:46 am
      Well over the moon,glad to see schuey back and show us what we have been missing.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2009 06:42:00 pm
      WOW cant wait counting down the sleeps NOT ! ;D
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2009 06:57:15 pm
      Never liked Schumacher when he was racing before but really looking forward to seeing him now.  No doubt he is the biggest F1 legend and can't wait to see him racing alongside Raikkonen.  Hopefully it gives Kimi the kick up the backside he needs and restore some of his love in F1, and hopefully he puts Schumi in his place. ;)

Exciting times but unfortunate how they came about with Massa's incident.
      scottish lfc fan
      • Forum John Toshack

• 271 posts | -4 
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2009 06:58:22 pm
      Same never liked the lad i think you could see that i never liked him mabe because when i was watching it when i was younger he was winning it all the time
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2009 03:44:10 am
      Can't wait to see him back
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #11: Aug 05, 2009 02:15:44 am

Can't wait to see him finish behind Alonso again ;)
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #12: Aug 05, 2009 10:25:22 am
      Never knew there was this thread.

Fantastic news. Made up about it. Schumacher's return would definitely generate more interest in the sport again - that spirit of fast cars is dying off slowly.

Just feeling a little sorry for Massa - he definitely did not deserve this. But it gives us all a chance to witness what is possibly the world's greatest racing legend - back in action again.

Still remember researching and reading up on him for a project, I had a whale of a time such a fantastic driver. I'll hold my hands up and say I've not been catching the past five F1 races or so, but the next one with Schumi in it will definitely take a good look.
      Little Mac
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 05, 2009 01:52:40 pm
      No doubt, great news that he comes back. I can't wait till the next race.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #14: Aug 05, 2009 01:56:34 pm
      Can expect a bit of this then:

BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #15: Aug 05, 2009 02:11:11 pm
      I think it's a bit crap of Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso to veto Schumacher testing the new Ferrari though.

Every other team had voted to allow him one day's testing in the new car, the ones who didn't must be a bit scared ;)
      Cellieh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 05, 2009 05:16:17 pm
      He's born in this town, where I live. ;)
      Thats near cologne.

Schumacher must make medical tests, before he can come back. Due a bike accident, he has a neck injury.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Aug 06, 2009 08:06:31 pm
      Can't wait to see him finish behind Alonso again ;)

Why you little hoe :laugh:
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #18: Aug 11, 2009 01:23:17 pm
      Schumacher must make medical tests, before he can come back. Due a bike accident, he has a neck injury.

You're right, and unfortunately his injuries were too severe for him to return. :(

Schumacher U-turn! Pain in the neck puts paid to Michael's second coming at Ferrari

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has pulled the plug on his sensational return to Formula One as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycling accident earlier this year.

Schumacher, a seven-time F1 world champion, had agreed to help out former team Ferrari and step in for Felipe Massa on a temporary basis after the Brazilian suffered head injuries at the Hungarian Grand Prix last month.

But the German has now abandoned the comeback after failing to shrug off an injury suffered in a motorbike accident in February.

Ferrari have also announced that test driver Luca Badoer will step in for the European Grand Prix on August 23.

Schumacher told his official website: 'Yesterday [Monday] evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe.

'I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out.'

The 40-year-old had intended to return at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on August 23 but testing designed to help Schumacher re-acclimatise himself with the rigours of F1 have shown the injuries to his neck are 'too severe'.

Schumacher reportedly posted strong times having driven Kimi Raikkonen's 2007 World Championship-winning Ferrari at the Mugello circuit in Italy but the neck flared up again afterwards.

He added: 'Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

'The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe.

'That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.

'This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon.

'As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination yesterday.

'I am disappointed to the core. I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me.

'I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races.'

Schumacher, who retired at the end of the 2006 season, won five championships with Ferrari and had been working as a consultant for the Italian team before making the shock decision to return to racing at the highest level.

The German, who claimed his other two drivers' crowns with Benetton, has entered 250 grands prix, winning a record 91 of them.

With Badoer behind the wheel in Valencia, Ferrari have a difficult decision to make regarding the future of Massa.

Although he has made a speedy recovery after sustaining two skull fractures, and the Brazilian has vowed to return this season, it is unlikely he will compete before the 2010 campaign.

Daily Mail
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #19: Aug 11, 2009 03:08:18 pm
      Totally gutted about this. :(  Even though I didn't like him in his prime, I thought it would have been great for F1 to see Schumi back.  He always was a pain in the neck wasn't he.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #20: Aug 11, 2009 05:04:21 pm
      Shame...
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Aug 11, 2009 05:13:59 pm
      Was looking forward to this... :(
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #22: Aug 11, 2009 05:16:07 pm
      Shame really.

It would be a sensational comeback for a legend. And also the younger generations would get to see him drive again!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Re: Schumacher Returns - wait ... no he doesn't
      Reply #23: Aug 15, 2009 08:03:12 pm
      Only just found out about this. Disappointing because this season has been abysmal and he would have made it a lot better.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Re: Schumacher Returns - wait ... no he doesn't - Or Will he?
      Reply #24: Dec 20, 2009 06:02:20 pm
      Michael Schumacher close to Mercedes deal, say Ferrari

Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo he is planning a comeback with Mercedes.

It is the first time anyone close to the German legend has confirmed he is actively pursuing a return, which has been rumoured for weeks.

"I spoke to him [on Wednesday] and he told me there is a very strong possibility but that it's not 100% decided," Di Montezemolo said.

He said a return by Schumacher, 41 in January, would be "good for F1".

Schumacher retired at the end of 2006 after winning five world titles with Ferrari in consecutive years from 2000-4, to add to the two he won with Benetton in 1994-5.

BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan revealed last month that Schumacher had had talks about a comeback with Mercedes and that it would probably happen - and now Di Montezemolo has confirmed it.

"A guy called Michael Schumacher told us at Monza (in September) he would renew his (Ferrari consultancy) contract," Di Montezemolo said. "And it looked like his career would finish with Ferrari.

"But then there's another one who looks like him, 40, 41 yrs old, German, same name and decided to do a new career.

"Everybody in life can do what they prefer, and I understand that there is somebody at 41 years who wants to try again.

"So I think it's possible this twin, another Michael Schumacher, same age, same capability, some determination and spirit, will drive for Mercedes next year."

Di Montezemolo said Schumacher had been "destroyed" when it emerged he would not be able to make a temporary return to F1 with Ferrari last summer as a stand-in for the injured Felipe Massa because of a neck injury sustained in a motorcycle accident last winter.

"He phoned me, and he was so sad. He said: 'Listen, the doctor says I cannot do anything because I still have a problem with the neck.

"That day, Michael was not sad, (he was) more than sad. He was destroyed.

"Of course, I will have a lot of fans on our website very upset. They think Michael is a traitor. But I will explain to them it is not Michael but another one.

"As a friend, it is difficult for me, but I'm happy to see somebody so fit and with such big determination.

"As chairman of Ferrari, I'm so sad. He received a lot from Ferrari, and he has given a lot to Ferrari. I think the combination in the good and the bad moments was very, very good.

"This is the reason why I think we have to accept there is another Michael who is wanting to race. The real Michael is still with Ferrari."

Schumacher still has to have medical tests on his neck injury before he can confirm a return, and Di Montezemolo said he expected a decision to be made public "at the end of December or the beginning of January".

Massa has recovered from the fractured skull he suffered at the Hungarian Grand Prix and will be driving for Ferrari again in 2010 alongside their new signing, double world champion Fernando Alonso.

Di Montezemolo admitted that Ferrari had been "affected psychologically" by Massa's crash, adding: "For many days, we were very worried for the possible recovery of the man and then the driver."

Massa has completed a test in a 2007 Ferrari this week, and Di Montezemolo said the team "strongly believe he'll again be very, very quick".

Alonso will arrive at Ferrari with a reputation for being difficult to manage if the team does not focus on him - a legacy of his tumultuous season as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate at McLaren in 2007.

But asked if Ferrari could handle such a dominant personality, Di Montezemolo said: "Yes we can manage him, for three reasons.

"First, I spoke about these elements with (team principal Stefano) Domenicali 1000 times, not 100, and I spoke with Alonso.

"I told him: 'If you come to drive for us, because we want you, you drive for a team, you drive for a group, you don't drive for yourself.

"If you want a team, then you do your own team, fantastic, like John Surtees. In Ferrari we want to put you in the best condition to win. If not, we will never hire you.

"We know that you can win the championship. We will do our best but you are part of it.' I spoke with him and he knows how to handle it.

"Second - and I'm proud for this - for many years, you have not seen any more polemics inside Ferrari.

"The only time was once with (Rubens) Barrichello when we asked him to (play second fiddle to Schumacher) but this was because Michael was in condition to win the championship and sometimes this is important.

"But I am for team spirit, like in soccer, like in cycling. This is sport.

"The third reason is he's a very intelligent guy, very focused and he understands that even during the past, he made some mistakes, just as both Michael and I have done in our lives."

In a wide-ranging interview with a selection of British, Italian, Spanish and German journalists, Di Montezemolo addressed a number of other topics.

He backed world champion Jenson Button's decision to join McLaren as Hamilton's team-mate, saying: "Hamilton in McLaren is good motivation for him".

He said he backed the current drive to cut costs in F1 - but that it should never become a championship where all the cars were close to identical, adding that Ferrari would stay in the sport "until Formula 1 isn't Formula 1".

He questioned some of the current organisation of F1, saying the sport's stakeholders needed to look into issues such as whether the races were too long, ticket prices were too high, and its lack of engagement with the internet.

And he set out a vision for F1, which he believed "can play an important role for technology, ecology, environment, fuel consumption".

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #25: Dec 20, 2009 06:46:21 pm
      Bit off a roller coaster is what this thread is turning into.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Jan 04, 2010 10:20:47 am
      Well hes back. Come on Nico kick his arse
      Back when men were men and cars were allowed to be fast... and cheating was acceptable

Quick Reply