Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Will we win the league this season

Read 50803 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Will we win the league this season
      Reply #23: Aug 01, 2009 09:59:53 am
      Will we win the league?

This is the kind of question that comes around each season, and I feel we can only ever answer with our heart, as nothing is certain.

I think we are well equipped to win it. Our squad is experienced and talented, strong from our excellent challenge last season, and I'm sure the side will benefit from the winner's mentality from the Spanish national team. We can do it, I have no doubt.

As ever, there are many factors to take into account. Our players need to stay fit, we need to remember how to kill off the smaller teams and believe in ourselves.

I don't want to talk about United, Chelsea or the other possible challengers, however. We need to focus on our own results and not be distracted by them.

There is no reason why not, and I am sure that we will be contenders to the end. Will we win the league? I'm not sure. Can we? Without a shadow of a doubt!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #24: Aug 01, 2009 10:04:35 am
      I go into every new season believing we can win everything and that applies to this season as well.Hopefully the players have that belief and it shows in the football they play.It is time for Ferguson to be knocked off his perch once for all,go the REDS.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #25: Aug 01, 2009 10:14:22 am
      If we buy another quality striker then yes i do believe we can.if not then no.simples.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #26: Aug 01, 2009 10:18:53 am
      With all my heart i hope we can do this,i live in a village 22 miles from Liverpool and as you can all imagine it is split between Manc supporters and Liverpool fans,with a few bitters in the mix.Last year was excellent,after the united games we had something to shout about,getting back from the match was devine walking into the local to deadly silence.
      I always believe,my heart says yes we can do it.If we play like we did for the second half of the season this time im sure we will.
      Come on redmen!!!!! IRWT YNWA.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Aug 01, 2009 10:20:25 am
      In all honesty IMO it all depends on the protracted sale of Alonso if that goes through and how the transfer fee and our existing finances are re-invested, If the players are of good quality and address the areas needing addressing I.E central midfielder, back up striker, left winger and also right back due the sale of Arbeloa, if these players seamlessly integrate into our squad then its not beyond the realms of possibility that we will be able to kick on from last year and go that one step further.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Aug 01, 2009 10:55:46 am
      I think it will all come down to the final two weeks in the transfer window, if we go into the season with the team as now, to do well will depend on the injuries picked up, we have no back up striker who's been tested, I know we have Nemeth and it would be really good if he proved himself in his first season in the first team, it's a big ask though.

After coming so close last season we had a fantastic chance to keep us up at the top, and to not invest from a position of strength is criminal, even Barcelona have invested big, they know even with all their riches that it's investment that keeps you at the top.

Our first eleven are good enough, no question, every thing is in place to push on, but these owners should have given Rafa at least 40 mill, if they had done that we would win the league, now because they want things done on the cheep, we have to cross our fingers and prey we pick up no injuries, if that happens we will have a chance...
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #29: Aug 01, 2009 11:05:18 am
      As many have stated it depends on our transfer activity,the top three have hardly gone out thier way to sign players or it could be a case of they cant get thier target players,scum will no doubt have something to say this season,arsenal could be the dark horse of this campaing and again could be king makers,chavs well they put up a fight towards the end of the season but ancelloti will have his work cut out,if he does not perform in the first ten games he could be looking at the axe,city? maybe a jekhyll and hyde season as for US,well we still have the tatse of last season in our mouths and yes we may be slightly weaker without alonso i think we as a whole are more galvanised and a certainly to pick up from where we left of last season make no doubt of it.
      Rafa will tell the players this is the time for the team as a whole to give us fans what we are waiting for and boy will we let them know it when they grace the pitch this season.
      Once again the reds will be left of the leash and hammer every F***ing team in sight.
      LIVERPOOL league champions.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Aug 01, 2009 11:12:16 am
      The two main questions I think will determine whether we win ir or not is, can we replace Xabi with a player with similar quality rather than buying a number of average players like Catermole and Turner etc, and can we keep Torres and Gerrard fit all season because if either player is injured we don't have the sufficient quality in reserve to cover either of them being injured.

Would be very suprised if we start the season without buying another striker.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #31: Aug 01, 2009 01:05:49 pm
      We must improve at home massively. As i cant see us beating both Man U and Chelsea home and away. Both Torres and Gerrard must stay fit and if or when Alonso leaves we must replace him with quality still a big ask but.....
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #32: Aug 01, 2009 01:07:51 pm
      As I cant see us beating both Man U and Chelsea home and away.

Why not we did last season ?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #33: Aug 01, 2009 01:10:34 pm

I imagine he knows it's possible, but our prior record to that against the top clubs was pretty poor.

Whilst it would be nice to stuff them in the head to heads, it's a difficult task.

Beating our opposition took us very close last season, but I still think our lack of killer instinct against the little clubs is the biggest hurdle for us to surpass.

We need to finish off these teams, and not let them settle into thinking they can come to Anfield and scrape a point. An improvement in our home record will be a big step toward the title.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Aug 01, 2009 01:21:29 pm
      I have every confidence this coming season with the vital experience we got last season we will break these teams  down and turn the screw on them from the very first kick off the match, the players know these dropped points cost us the league and IMO they will have it in their mind sets to get an early goal and make them come out and play.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #35: Aug 01, 2009 01:25:29 pm
      we will win the league.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #36: Aug 01, 2009 01:49:15 pm
      Yes, to be honest I think this could be are best year to win the league.

I mean we have improved are team and the scum have got rid of two of there best players and brought in two average players.

I don't reckon City will put up a challenge as they have just bought a load of World-class players and methinks they will end up like Madrid and the players won't just gel.

Chelski have not been active in the transfer market so there is not much to worry about there.

Arsenal have sold there two main players and brought in a rookie defender for most of there money so not much to worry about there

So I reckon this could be the year :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Aug 01, 2009 02:55:27 pm
      It'll come down to us V Chelsea in the last few rounds IMO. Whoever wins that, wins the league effectively.
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #38: Aug 01, 2009 02:56:35 pm
      I don't reckon City will put up a challenge as they have just bought a load of World-class players and methinks they will end up like Madrid and the players won't just gel.

City are nothing to worry about. The players they have bought are not going to challenge for honours this year.

Infact, the players they have bought don't really worry me in the slighest. I wouldn't really want any of them at liverpool, bar Tevez. No-one is a standout performer for me.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Aug 01, 2009 02:58:05 pm
      I'm going to go to the toilet if my Urine is clear we will win the league, if its Yellow we wont, I'll let you know on my return ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Aug 01, 2009 02:59:42 pm
      Bad news it was Yellow
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #41: Aug 01, 2009 03:00:40 pm
      Too much sugar in that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #42: Aug 01, 2009 03:01:55 pm
      Yes.

If we can quickly pick up the momentum we were running under by the end of this last season ...there is little doubt.

We dont know what Ancelotti is going to be like. If he is Scolari material then we can  get the edge.
      Think we will be head to head with them though throughout the season.

The Mankers still could buy but havent the time before K.O. to bed players in. I think the Glazers want some of LadyBoys money no matter what the official "He has as much money that he wants" quote. Their goals now have to come from other players.

The Arse?
      Two players sold to City?
      Dont think Wenger can do anything different again this year although Arshavin will definitely shine.
      Wish we had bought him.

Any outsiders? No. Not even City.

So Yes. We have a good chance but as already been said whilst Hansel and Gretel have been screwing over the club for their million or so tax free expenses (what has that gone on!?) Rafa has to work with nowt.

The miracle worker.
      If (as of today Saturday Aug 1st) Alonso is set to go, then we have to buy and buy quickly.

Now we need two players. An Alonso replacement and a striker. Not easy.

We do really need to put our noses in front of the scum and we could be the form team.

My heart says yes. My head says ...... there is no better time ... even handicapped without serious money to buy.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,395 posts | 2823 
      Reply #43: Aug 01, 2009 03:04:29 pm
      If I'm honest I'd say no.

We need a top class winger, someone as a backup to Torres and now a new central midfielder. Even if we get all these players it's already August and it will take time for them to settle and that could see us fall of the pace early on.

Chelsea will have two men who were injured for large chunks of last season in the form of Essien and Drogba and I think they will be stiff opposition for us. United have lost two key players but they still have a lot of talented players and I can see them doing well again.

Of course we are Liverpool Football Club and anything can happen so I will believe that we can win it until it is mathmatically impossible but I have to say we are at least a couple of signings short.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Aug 01, 2009 03:56:08 pm
      I think because of how close we were last season to winning it, we're definitely going to be a bit more optimistic and that will spur the players to really give it their all. We've had quite a few players saying that they feel this season will be a title winning season so it shows that they think it is achievable.

We can't really predict how other teams will do obviously but i feel we have enough confidence and ability in our players to be able to cope with everything that's thrown at them.

I have a feeling we will do it this season. I reckon we might even do the double. 
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #45: Aug 01, 2009 04:02:08 pm
      We should not be worrying about how other teams perform. At the end of the day it is all up to us to determine where the title goes. The other contenders will have a few hiccups along the way and it is up to us to take advantage of it.

We need to cut those draws up and turn them into wins, the 3 points are just that important and we must realise it. We must get off to a start whereby we must get the points. Poor, shitty performances or not but we need the 3 points at the start of the season. Over the course of it, our momentum will grow and our rhythm will be getting there.

We also need the consistency and need to cut out that bad month. The 08/09 was in January/February I think. The players have obviously got the experience from last season, they've experienced the hurt as well so I reckon that they will want to go that extra mile to make sure it happens.

We don't need anymore signings, as proved from last season I thought it was evident that the first XI was capable of winning the league. Now that we have Johnson we are better placed to win it. We need to keep the structure of the squad there, the foundation is very good and a bench of good subs would be good. We need a squad that has strength in depth, that way when we bring on a substitute it will be with more confidence than a thought of a gamble.

Quick Reply