Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Will we win the league this season

Read 50964 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Will we win the league this season
      Reply #46: Aug 04, 2009 12:20:37 pm
      THOMPSON: THIS PRESSURE IS UNIQUE

Phil Thompson believes Liverpool must find their ruthless streak if they are to overcome the unique pressure of bringing title number 19 to Anfield.

The former Reds captain speaks from experience - he helped end a seven-year title drought for Bill Shankly's men by winning the league in his first full season with the club.

The 1973 title triumph laid the foundations for an impressive haul of seven First Division trophies in his 13-year spell at Liverpool.

But Thompson believes the pressure on the class of 2009 is greater than in his day.

"There wasn't the same pressure on us back then," Thompson told the official LFC Magazine.

"We weren't expected to go out and win the title because we hadn't won it for so long.

"Saying that, it had been seven years and the gap was a bit of a burden for us. It was a new team that Shanks was putting together. I was just a young lad when we won that first one, a midfielder that was making it."

Thompson thinks Liverpool began to show the spirit necessary to win the league last term.

"You have to dig deep at times," said the 55-year-old.

"People think that when we were winning those seven titles Liverpool were fantastic week in, week out. We weren't.

"We had to dig deep playing in some of the lesser games to actually scrape a 1-0 win or a 2-1."

Thompson believes a more aggressive approach, especially against sides from lower down the league table, will be key to putting more silverware in the Anfield trophy cabinet.

"We need to be able to put teams away," he said.

"Even against Stoke at home last season, where we had about 27 attempts on goal, that aggressive streak to finish them off was missing.

"Liverpool blitzed the top four but still haven't won the title. We've only lost two games all season, but haven't won the title.

"If it had been a position where we drew against all those top teams but beat the lesser lights, with respect, we would probably have won the league."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165297090804-0847.htm

Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #47: Aug 04, 2009 01:21:34 pm
      As other posters have said - need to look at the relative strength of our mighty redmen vs the competition.

We were so close last year - and I think that from the time we beat the crap out of United and Madrid, we had an incredible belief that we knew we COULD win the league now.

Even if we lose Xabi, and are thus weaker, I think United have weakened more with the losss of Shrek's brother and Show Pony. Arsenal - even with Arshavin for the whole season, are weaker - whilst Chelski are probably our closest rivals now.

The one thing we have to address though is our home form. Cut out the draws against the lesser teams, and number 19 is almost certainly ours for the taking.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #48: Aug 04, 2009 02:02:54 pm
      Considering that we should have walked away with it last season ,i see no reason why we cant win it. But if we can have a fully fit Torres and Stevie then it should make all the difference. And of course we all need a bit of that magic... called luck to win the title. If we can start off well at Spurs that will be vital to get some momentum going.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #49: Aug 04, 2009 02:30:46 pm
      If we bring in a quality replacement for Xabi i think we will win but if we don't i think it will be a battle as Chelsea will come on strong this year and we will need to be winning nearly every game. We need to Bolster the squad so buy another striker to help Torres so if he gets injured we have got someone to come on and do the business. If we play the fast flowing football we did last year their is hope and if Gerrard and Torres can play finish were they left off last season it might be the year we end the drought.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #50: Aug 04, 2009 11:48:13 pm
      Unlike Billy1, I hope we will win the league every season, but I don't always believe we will. This comeing season, after todays development with Xabi, I think we need either a top quality center mid to replace him, or a top quality striker, and move Stevie back to center mid. Then we have to start the season, maybe four matches, as we ended the last. Attacking football, positive, high tempo, and go on and win by 4 or more goals like we now know we are capable of. That will build the confidence for the remainder of the season, we will then go on and win it. If we start too defensive and negative, forget it. I t will be over before it's begun. Ibelieve we can win it this year, if we make our intentions clear to every one from the off. :aaliverpool2xt1:
      UKMaverick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #51: Aug 04, 2009 11:51:24 pm
      Kills me to even write this sh*t but no, we won't win it this year. Losing Xabi is a massive blow and i'm not sure 30 mil is enough to plug that gap at the moment....
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #52: Aug 04, 2009 11:57:57 pm
      Are you kidding me ? 30m is more than enough you have to remember it's Rafa he knew Alonso would eventually leave i trust Rafa and i am sure he has got some plan whether its to splash the cash on a player who will make a big difference or 2 players to add to the squad. Remember Rafa only bought Alonso for 10.5m and he raised him into a 34m player who's to say he cant pull something like that off again.

IRWT
      Cellieh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #53: Aug 05, 2009 12:01:35 am
      I really believe on it. But I hopes, that we'll play the CL final against Wolfsburg, Munich or maybe Stuttgart and wiiiiiiiiiin. :D
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #54: Aug 05, 2009 12:10:34 am
      Some very negative people on here. Sure you are LFC fans?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #55: Aug 05, 2009 12:11:28 am
      And who is that aimed at ?
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #56: Aug 05, 2009 12:21:19 am
      GERNS UKMaverick to name but two on this page, why?
      Cellieh
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 121 posts |
      Reply #57: Aug 05, 2009 12:24:37 am

Jobpessimists. ;)
      We'll win the leauge, sure! :kop5cf8koxp6:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #58: Aug 05, 2009 12:26:16 am

Just to make sure you didn't mean me ;D.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #59: Aug 05, 2009 12:29:36 am
      Of course not mate, I can read you know. I believe we are good enough to win the league without Alonso, and Masher. We still get to play eleven men in our side. We are not a man down. Believe in your team peoples.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #60: Aug 05, 2009 12:34:04 am
      And believe in Rafa !
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #61: Aug 05, 2009 12:34:55 am
      Love Rafa too
      UKMaverick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #62: Aug 05, 2009 12:46:24 am
      Haha fair point on the pessimism. I think tonights news got me down in the dumps a little. I'm a huge Xabi fan and its gutting to see him go.

Of course we'll win the league! I can't see Utd being the dominant force this time so why not?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #63: Aug 05, 2009 12:47:16 am
      yes...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #64: Aug 05, 2009 02:28:51 am
      .... f***in' oath but I'm making sure I've got everything crossed  ;)
      FAHERBY
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #65: Aug 05, 2009 04:28:03 am
      We played a good bridesmaid role last season. It's now time to take the prize that we so much deserve!
      WIn the EPL in 2009/10 !!! Go the Reds!!!  :angel:
      chihon25
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #66: Aug 05, 2009 08:46:08 am
      Yes we can do it........

Let's win the league for KOP........

Y.N.W.A.

Spirit of SHANKLY.........

Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #67: Aug 05, 2009 11:19:56 am

I don’t think any of us would be where we are today if the passion of Liverpool wasn’t in us, personally im not confident. Losing Alonso is a huge loss and im not sure who we can buy in such short time and then pre season is nearly done so fitness level would be down if we got someone else in. We are the same team minus a couple and add Glen Johnson who I think is a great right back but the problem from last season is still there and that is depth. We don’t have a bench that can change a game and if Torres or Gerrard gets injured we still need that othr player if one of the other does. Im optimistic and im not going to write us off but with the sale of players, the owners im unfortunatley quietly unconfident

But I hope to be proved wrong that’s the impression im getting though
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #68: Aug 05, 2009 10:35:23 pm
      Apologies to UKMaverick we all need the title.

Quick Reply