Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Swimming World Championships

Read 1784 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Swimming World Championships
      Aug 01, 2009 09:29:28 am

Fran Halsall

Fran Halsall of Britain celebrates after winning a silver medal in the women's 100m freestyle at the World Championships in Rome.

Fran Halsall produced the swim of her life tonight.  Her silver medal in the world 100m freestyle came as a surprise to everyone, not least herself. Immediately afterwards Halsall burst in to tears, overwhelmed by what she had achieved.

"I don't know whether to laugh or to cry," the 19 year old said.  "I've been giggling and tears are coming out. Oh my God it is amazing, I can't believe it, I just can't believe it."

Halsall did not think she would win a medal before the race.  "I wasn't even in the top three in the rankings.  But I knew I was in good form, I've had no injuries and I've been training well, so I just came in and gave it my best shot."

The race was won by Germany's Britta Steffen in a world record time of 52.07sec.  Steffan was out in front from the 50m turn, but Halsall fought off the chasing pack with a strong final 25 metres and finished in 52.87sec, a new British record.  "I just held on at the end," she said.  "I couldn't see whether I'd come second or third, and then I was like: second! I'm second!"

Much of her joy seemed to stem from the fact that her parents had "promised to buy her a second puppy" if she got a medal.  "I've already got one called Billy so now I think I will call this one Roma."

Halsall was something of a prodigy, picked to represent England at the Commonwealth Games in 2006 when she was only 16.  These World Championships have seen her blossom into a world beating talent far quicker than anyone anticipated.

Fran swims for the City of Liverpool Club and is a massive LFC fan.  It was an amazing swim for her and the whole team has improved from the success we had in Beijing.  Bring on London 2012!! 

Quick Reply