Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Grobbelaar brands Liverpool boss Benitez "a disgrace"

Read 5883 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Grobbelaar brands Liverpool boss Benitez "a disgrace"
      Mar 22, 2007 12:21:52 pm
      Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar has branded manager Rafa Benitez a "disgrace" over his rotation policy.
      The Zimbabwean keeper, who won six league titles and the European Cup in the 1980s, is angry that the Reds fielded weak sides in both domestic cup competitions.

He said: "The new board and the fans must remind him that the FA Cup is one of the biggest cups - that was a disgrace the way the team was changed around.

"With a rotation system you have to win all the time. You can't just go out there and lose, then play the next team and win and then rotate back to a losing side. That is what was happening at the start of the season."
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Grobbelaar brands Liverpool boss Benitez "a disgrace"
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2007 12:46:24 pm
      Well.

I was annoyed that he played the same team that lost to Arsenal against them again what was it, 3 days later?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2007 01:00:26 pm
      What source did that come from Ra Ra Rafa?
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #3: Mar 22, 2007 01:47:43 pm
      I will remember to Grobbelaar that he made Thomas becomes "history man" !!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #4: Mar 22, 2007 11:00:39 pm
      What source did that come from Ra Ra Rafa?

Probably overheard Brucie talking in the bookies :)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2007 11:57:16 am
      Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar has branded manager Rafa Benitez a "disgrace" over his rotation policy.
      The Zimbabwean keeper, who won six league titles and the European Cup in the 1980s, is angry that the Reds fielded weak sides in both domestic cup competitions.

He said: "The new board and the fans must remind him that the FA Cup is one of the biggest cups - that was a disgrace the way the team was changed around.

"With a rotation system you have to win all the time. You can't just go out there and lose, then play the next team and win and then rotate back to a losing side. That is what was happening at the start of the season."

Sorry, he's a disgrace. For the match fixing he did.
      Grobbelaar is no saint.
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007 11:57:51 am by Court_LFC »
      scallyon
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2007 05:15:15 pm
       >:(
      Grobbelaar should be grateful for the chance the pool gave him
      knock the guv yer knock the club
      Cy
      Reply #7: Mar 26, 2007 11:46:14 am
      Until guys like Grobbelaar win trophies as coach, I beleive that they should just think before talking..It is not because you played football at the top level for years that you are actually a good advice nevertheless a good pundit..look at Shearer..getting paid a fortune to telling us : " I think he will be disapointed with that..."
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Mar 26, 2007 12:12:59 pm
      Ex-players always seem to have an opinion on whoever the current manager is and the tactics they are using and they always seem to be the players who have never gone into management themselves.
      Lawrenson for instance seems to do everything within his power not to compliment us whilst Alan Hansen seems to be a lot more even handed when discussing us, I think its purely down to opinions and unfortunately any bad ones that criticise the manager or the team are going to make news ahead of the “Rush says Liverpool are great” news stories.
      If Bruce has been quoted correctly then the only thing he is guilty of is not choosing his words correctly to describe his opinion and at the end of the day who really cares what he has to say anyway, he was a great Goalkeeper for us who helped us win many trophies but his career is largely forgotten due to match fixing allegations and iam sure Rafa wont be losing any sleep over what he has to say.
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 26, 2007 01:56:00 pm
      I think next years will be the hottests of his career. No voices from the new owners about his future. What kind of players he will try to land in Liverpool? How much money they will put on the table for summer transfer? Who leaves and who will stay? Anybody could please tell me something About these questions?
      Thank you so much.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #10: Mar 26, 2007 05:05:44 pm
      I would be hoping for a figure of around £50 million.  We should be able to raise some money through the eventual transfer of Cisse, and maybe ship out some of our players who could probably get decent fees eg. ? Crouch ? Bellers ? Pennant and possibly either Momo or Xabi.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Mar 26, 2007 05:29:47 pm
      I would be hoping for a figure of around £50 million.  We should be able to raise some money through the eventual transfer of Cisse, and maybe ship out some of our players who could probably get decent fees eg. ? Crouch ? Bellers ? Pennant and possibly either Momo or Xabi.

IMO £50m not enough, I'm not being a glory hunter here but what exactly can you buy with £50m when you need 3 world class players?
      I think Hicks & Gillette should give Rafa £60m if they have that sort of money, sell Crouch for £8m, Cisse for £8m, Bellamy for £7m, Pongolle for £4m, Zenden for £0m, Dudek for £0m.

If my mathmatics are right we should have around £87m transfer funds but am I being too over ambitious? proberly ;D

We can't be buying average players no more, end of that Rafa
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007 05:31:42 pm by Ra Ra Rafa »
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #12: Mar 29, 2007 02:09:57 pm
      Why does everyone want Xabi out?!?!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #13: Mar 29, 2007 02:22:16 pm

Because we have 3 defensive centre midfielders. I said before when you play with a team you have 10 outfield players, 5 defensive & 5 offensive. Therefore 4 defenders and 1 defensive mifielder, 2 wingers, 1 offensive midfielder and 2 strikers. Does that make any sense? We all saw what Gerrard can do in the middle of the park yesterday but if we play with 2 defensive midfielders we will lack the spark.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Mar 29, 2007 02:34:18 pm

I dont know if its a case of everyone wanting him out, i think people are just being realistic as we can only play two central midfielders at a time how long would  Gerrard,Alonso,Sissoko,Mascherano etc take being rotated? Granted with Stevie on the wing it helps things tick a long
      but i think we all know that situation cant continue much longer and soon he will return to the middle and then someone will become surplus to requirements.
      I think Xabi gets picked out because Mascherano and Sissoko are still classed as improving new lads and Gerrard rightly or wrongly is undroppable, also i think some fans think if Barca or Madrid made a serious offer for him he would be off and we would be trying to sign a player in exchange e.g. Eto'o

Sorry i took it off topic!
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 04, 2007 10:13:20 am
      Buce Grobbelar was the man hoo invented Dudkes dance =p but Rafa shouldnt have played the same squad
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #16: Apr 05, 2007 08:36:28 pm

Id keep Alonso.

Grobbelar, ah... I was 6-7, and I just adored him  ;D
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 08, 2007 11:18:02 pm
      yeh fair play he shoodnt ave dun dat but bruce grobbelar was a bit harsh there
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Apr 08, 2007 11:25:47 pm
      Because we have 3 defensive centre midfielders. I said before when you play with a team you have 10 outfield players, 5 defensive & 5 offensive. Therefore 4 defenders and 1 defensive mifielder, 2 wingers, 1 offensive midfielder and 2 strikers. Does that make any sense? We all saw what Gerrard can do in the middle of the park yesterday but if we play with 2 defensive midfielders we will lack the spark.

Are you off your rocker lad? Its like saying OK lads we are going to sell Alonso to Barcelona. Then put a gun to our heads. Jesus I would get rid of Mascherano if anything like this happened!
      Momo has to stay, he is far more useful than Javier. Put Momo in the centre and he is like a brick wall. EVEN if it means sending Mascherano back to Upton Park!

I dont know if its a case of everyone wanting him out, i think people are just being realistic as we can only play two central midfielders at a time how long would  Gerrard,Alonso,Sissoko,Mascherano etc take being rotated? Granted with Stevie on the wing it helps things tick a long
      but i think we all know that situation cant continue much longer and soon he will return to the middle and then someone will become surplus to requirements.
      I think Xabi gets picked out because Mascherano and Sissoko are still classed as improving new lads and Gerrard rightly or wrongly is undroppable, also i think some fans think if Barca or Madrid made a serious offer for him he would be off and we would be trying to sign a player in exchange e.g. Eto'o

Sorry i took it off topic!

No worries mate you have a point. Still, couldn't give a damn about Mascherano... he's only on a 18 month loan isn't he?
      Couldn't ever get rid of Xabi. He possesses great passing. Even if it wasn't as sharp this season. We bought Xabi on a absolute bargain. But Rafa will decide what is best for the team at the end of the day.
      STILL! Only my opinions lads. :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007 11:26:38 pm by Court_LFC »

Quick Reply