Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Ultimate Grudge Match...American Bands vs British Bands.

Read 11945 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Ultimate Grudge Match...American Bands vs British Bands.
      Reply #23: Aug 04, 2009 03:37:37 am
      Blur where the best at Oxegen actually, and Killers and Kings of Leon where there to beat... Blur wiped the floor with them tbh
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Aug 04, 2009 08:51:31 am
      The Sex Pistols were AWFUL!!!!  Were the originators? Yes. Were they good? GOD NO!.. I grew up listening to punk. Thats all I listened too, punk and Hardcore. The Pistols were lousy musicians and they were popular because they were shocking and original.  But they should never be used as an example of "Great British Bands".  I always thought the Exploited and Cockney Rejects were the best British Punk bands.

The whole point with the Sex Pistols is that they initiated the Punk movement. Without them and their histrionics an awful lot of other bands and genres, (hardcore, speed, thrash & grunge, for e.g.), would never have happened. Music was stale and old, hippy, attitudes in the industry sucked. They changed the musical world! Nevermind The Bollocks......is a f**king classic - nuff said!

Without the Pistols you would not have grown up listening to Punk and Hardcore. Without the Pistols your favourite British Punk bands, The Exploited and Cockney Rejects, would not have existed! Punk wasn't about how good a musician one was - you really should know that YANK!

I am right you know!  :angel:
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009 09:05:30 am by bad boy bubby »
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #25: Aug 04, 2009 01:54:04 pm
      The whole point with the Sex Pistols is that they initiated the Punk movement.

There is always the long standing debate here over whether it was the Sex Pistols or the Ramones who were the first punk band.

Certainly it can be said that the origins for punk, though, were bands like Iggy and the Stooges and the MC5....
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #26: Aug 04, 2009 04:23:51 pm
      The whole point with the Sex Pistols is that they initiated the Punk movement. Without them and their histrionics an awful lot of other bands and genres, (hardcore, speed, thrash & grunge, for e.g.), would never have happened. Music was stale and old, hippy, attitudes in the industry sucked. They changed the musical world! Nevermind The Bollocks......is a f**king classic - nuff said!

Without the Pistols you would not have grown up listening to Punk and Hardcore. Without the Pistols your favourite British Punk bands, The Exploited and Cockney Rejects, would not have existed! Punk wasn't about how good a musician one was - you really should know that YANK!

I am right you know!  :angel:
      I agree they were one of the first main stream Punk bands. I agree they helped launch the Punk movement. But their were Punk bands before the Pistols. The Ramones, Stooges and New York Dolls were around before the Sex Pistols.

I just wouldn't list them as an example of Great British Bands, thats all.  If we were debating Punk bands then they would be certainly be near the top.  I know that they helped fuel the scene and I give them their props as true originators. I just didn't like them. I didn't like the Ramones either.  Most of my Punk taste was formed on the early-mid 80's to early 90's scene. GBH, Exploited,Rejects, Descendants, Black Flag, D.R.I, even Joy Division. I thought they were a great band.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #27: Aug 04, 2009 04:28:11 pm
      I think Oasis have been the best band in the world for the last decade. :)
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #28: Aug 04, 2009 05:41:39 pm
      I hear what you are saying about the Sex Pistols YANK, but whether or not they were any good is pretty irrelevant.  They were certainly ground breaking, innovative and fresh.

As a matter of fact, I really don't like the Beatles' music on the whole (although some is ok) but I would never deny the effect they had on world music - they were ground breaking, innovative and fresh.

The "Pistols'" brand of anti-society rebellion gave the whole country (maybe even your part of the world) a kick up the arse when popular music was stagnating.

As such, they deserve to be called a great band, imo.  There are hundreds of bands out there who are/were better musicians, singers, performers, etc. but won't be anywhere near as influential as The Sex Pistols.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #29: Aug 04, 2009 05:43:06 pm

Ahhh ignorance is bliss isn't it ;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Aug 04, 2009 08:32:06 pm

:lmao:  

Oh f**k! Make it stop!......I very nearly pished myself there!

:lmao:

I hear what you are saying about the Sex Pistols YANK, but whether or not they were any good is pretty irrelevant.  They were certainly ground breaking, innovative and fresh.

As a matter of fact, I really don't like the Beatles' music on the whole (although some is ok) but I would never deny the effect they had on world music - they were ground breaking, innovative and fresh.

The "Pistols'" brand of anti-society rebellion gave the whole country (maybe even your part of the world) a kick up the arse when popular music was stagnating.

As such, they deserve to be called a great band, imo.  There are hundreds of bands out there who are/were better musicians, singers, performers, etc. but won't be anywhere near as influential as The Sex Pistols.

^^^^What shay says. :gt-happyup:
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #31: Aug 04, 2009 09:42:46 pm
      :) I expected to get that reaction. Ther's been a shortage of real bands since the begining of this century and I'd say Oasis have been head and shoulders above the majority, they've managed to get 8 number ones in the UK chart which has predominantley been filled with crap. I'd certainly say they were the best british band since the late 90s (not the best of all time since that title of course belongs to another british band, The Beatles). I prefer their style to that of the american bands aswell.

Just because people don't like Liam and Noel doesn't mean they should put down their music.

And on top of the that they're one of Jamie Carraghers favourite bands!! Soo..
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Aug 05, 2009 10:15:11 am
      Oasis have been head and shoulders above the majority, they've managed to get 8 number ones in the UK chart which has predominantley been filled with crap....... I'd certainly say they were the best british band since the late 90s

So they're best of the crap then or to put it another way......the crappiest.  ;D  

Seriously tho', there's a hell of a lot of good music out there SGf; music that's more fresh and more exciting than Oasis. I'll have to ask you what other bands you're listening to; if you honestly believe quOasis are the best in Britain, let alone the World.

Muse, Kasabian, The King Blues, The Enemy and The Twang - all fresher, all more exiting and all better live. Why not check out Reverend & The Makers' new album 'A French Kiss In The Chaos'? .......you may be surprised.

I genuinely believe you're confusing personal taste and blind loyalty with fact.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2009 10:45:47 am by bad boy bubby »
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #33: Aug 05, 2009 02:01:13 pm
      Well what I mean is it's difficult for an Indie band to get so many number ones in the charts because their dominated by Rnb and Hip hop artists, solo artists etc.. you know what I mean. That's why I consider it such an achievement, even their best songs never made it to number one songs like Wonderwall and Live forever.

I'm a big fan of Kasabian, The Enemy and The Twang,I've been to see the first two in concert..But what I'm saying is sometimes people don't give Oasis the credit they deserve. I don't understand how you wouldn't consider them one of Britains greatest bands! They've been around since the mid 90s and released some amazing albums! They certainly aren't crap :laugh:

I won't say anymore since I'm going way off topic, I consider british bands to be alot better than American ones anyway since I often don't appreciate the Heavy metal type of sound or the more current all american rejects type music.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 07, 2009 05:50:28 pm
      beatles
      stones
      led zeppelin
      pink floyd
      the clash
      radiohead

it'll be hard to top that group of bands
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #35: Aug 10, 2009 06:38:28 pm
      beatles
      stones
      led zeppelin
      pink floyd
      the clash
      radiohead

it'll be hard to top that group of bands
      I'll admit no American Band can top the Beatles or Stones. So, your #1 and #2 have me beat. However the rest of the list is a toss-up.
      Jimi Hendrix
      The Doors
      Aerosmith
      Greatful Dead
      The Beach Boys
      Johnny Cash
      Credence Clearwater Revival
      Sam Cooke
      Otis Redding
      Van Halen
      Bob Dylan
      The Eagles