Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid -> Bayern)

Read 178428 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #69: Aug 06, 2009 02:28:14 am
      Yeah, i am being biased maybe. But him asking us to understand is a bit rich i think. If we were in all sorts of trouble financially, not competing for honors and such then yeah i would reluctantly understand. But our club has been on the up and last season was one of the best in Europe, and certainly much better than Madrid. And he can't say he wasn't getting game time, as he was an integral part of our team. So any reasoning for leaving is lost on me. He has never said Madrid were a boyhood club or anything, he just seems to be glory hunting.
      I am very one eyed with Liverpool, just so you know ;)
      As I said in the earlier post mate it was a take from his side of things, his feelings for Real  probably stem from a family thing like it is with Liverpool and their following, either way whats done is done and its a more positive outlook than some teams who have lost two strikers recently.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #70: Aug 06, 2009 02:35:34 am
      Wait I'm confused, are you saying Xabi is not Spanish? If you are saying that then you're wrong because he is Spanish.

Also i wouldn't say it's every kids dream and only one answer. I'd say most of our team, bar one or two, would quite happily turn down Madrid or have turned down Madrid.
      The Basque community live on the Spanish border and some of them have a separatist thing going on, they speak Spanish and all that but they want their own state.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #71: Aug 06, 2009 07:07:21 am
      When you consider the players comments about his relationship with Rafa it is not difficult to understand why he says 

"They must understand, though, that this opportunity came up and it was the best option for me."

Clearly, Rafa wanted to sell him and bring in Barry, the decision to leave was made a long time ago, and while the player states that the relationship between the two remains cordial, and professional, this is a polite way of saying that we put up with each other because we have to.

In these situations you can learn a lot from what is not said, rather than what is said. Most Liverpool fans would pencil Alonso's name down as an automatic starter in every match, not necessarily the same could be said for Rafa Benitez.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #72: Aug 06, 2009 08:30:00 am
      It did not happen so fast, though. He wanted out in May. It's not August, 10 days from when our season starts! Jesus.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Aug 06, 2009 09:55:35 am
      Why Liverpool had to sell Xabi Alonso to catch Manchester United

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/08/06/why-liverpool-had-to-sell-xabi-alonso-to-catch-manchester-united-115875-21574369/

Allowing a player of the quality of Xabi Alonso to leave is never done lightly.

But his departure may not be the disaster many Liverpool supporters believe it to be.

Rafa Benitez has already re-invested £15million of the Alonso cash in Roma’s Alberto Aquilani, who the Liverpool boss hopes could be the key to the Premier League title.

Benitez could yet live to regret the decision to sell to Real Madrid, even given the admirably inflated price-tag of more than £30million, but beyond the inevitable disappointment of losing such a popular player, the Anfield boss has compelling reasons to cash in.

When he looked at last season’s failed title challenge Benitez will have identified three areas that needed surgery. Two were obvious, at full back and wide midfield.

But the third will surprise many fans, who assume that the club’s midfield was their strength last term. On the surface, the Alonso-Javier Mascherano partnership was one of the strongest in the Premier League, but a closer look at the statistics from last season suggest otherwise, given the importance of the two base midfielders in the diamond formation all top teams now employ.

Between them, the pair scored just THREE league goals all season. Compare that to Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher at United who managed seven in a side who got goals from all over the field.

What Fletcher and Carrick also provided was an ability to get forward into the penalty area unmarked, and beyond the opposition back line into space, which created numerous chances for United.

For Liverpool, who beat Lyn Oslo 2-0 last night, neither Alonso nor Mascherano could do that, because their style in sitting deep is so similar.

But it is crucial when Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are always so heavily marked to exploit the space afforded to other players deeper in the midfield.

It seems the Liverpool boss decided that Mascherano has the edge because of his mobility and aggression in fulfilling the covering role both must do.

The Anfield manager has been left casting around for a midfielder who can pass and defend, and still get forward beyond the opposition back line.

Aquilani appears to have those qualities, but Italians have not always been successful in the Premier League, and his injury record is a cause for concern.

There is one other part of the equation though, that does suggest it is a disastrous time for Liverpool.

So far, the Spanish coach has raised in excess of £40m by selling players this summer, and that could exceed £50m if he sells Ryan Babel or Andrea Dossena.

If Aquilani passes a medical, at a fee of £15m it will only take the manager’s spending to just over £30m.

Depressingly, that suggests Liverpool’s finances are not going on the players required for the push to get beyond United, but on the club’s mounting debts.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #74: Aug 06, 2009 10:02:27 am
      Xabi Alonso has no hard feelings towards Rafa Benitez after Real Madrid switch

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/08/06/no-hard-feelings-boss-115875-21574761/

Xabi Alonso last night insisted he has nothing but respect for Rafa Benitez.

Speculation was rife that Alonso's relationship with Liverpool boss Benitez disintegrated before he left.

But at his unveiling as a Real Madrid player last night, Alonso said: "I have repeated over and over again that the relationship was a professional one, of mutual respect, a normal one between coach and player.

"I respect Rafa and thank him for the opportunity he gave me. The goodbyes were quite brief, everything happened very quickly. I want to return to say goodbye properly to my team-mates and Rafa.

"Five years is a big deal in a club like Liverpool. I learned a great deal."

Alonso also paid tribute to the Liverpool fans - but admits he decided to go months ago.

After being unveiled as a Real Madrid player at their Bernabeu stadium, he said: "It's a very happy day for me. It's an important step in my career to come to a club like Real Madrid.

"I'm very happy to be part of this club. It's the best opportunity for me to develop as a footballer.

"I am very grateful to Liverpool fans, they were very warm during my five years. It will be really difficult to match their appreciation. I really enjoyed those five years.

"But a few months ago I took that decision as I thought it was the right moment to find a fresh challenge, to look for a new club.

"That's when Real Madrid came along. Luckily a deal has been done and I'm very happy.

"It is a personal challenge I felt is necessary for my football career."

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #75: Aug 06, 2009 01:16:03 pm
      At least he came out and told us the truth. But Xabi lad we could of done with it a bit quicker.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #76: Aug 06, 2009 01:30:43 pm
      He wanted out since the start of last season? How F***ing depressing that he went on to play the best he has for us. With each word he says, i start to doubt him as a person and i dont want to. He was a great player and did so many things for this club, but this tarnishes it. His best form was brought to bring about a transfer. Poor, Xabi.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #77: Aug 06, 2009 01:33:03 pm
      Xabi thanks for clarifying a few things for us especially the respect you hold for Rafa.

I dont think he left it that late I mean it took Rafa 0.00000000000000001 seconds to acquire Aquilani, Xabi came out and saiid he and Rafa had a two hour chat after last season and told him he wanted out. Rafa played along and milked as much as he could from Madrid. Time and time again the man shows us he is a genius.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #78: Aug 06, 2009 01:33:22 pm
      He hasn't said it was from last year he said a couple of months ago which was during the confederations cup.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #79: Aug 06, 2009 01:40:20 pm
      Crouchy mate read into it a bit more closely he said a few months ago season finished up in May.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #80: Aug 06, 2009 01:47:29 pm
      Just shows Rafa played a blinder and to be honest I think Rafa got exactly what he wanted, the reason for keeping the transfer fee undisclosed is because some one had to save face and I believe that some one was Madrid, Its funny how Purslow had a meeting in Barcelona just on Sunday and told Valencia we would not budge on the fee, then a bid for Alonso is accepted Tuesday.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      Reply #81: Aug 06, 2009 01:47:43 pm
      If he had decided to leave when Crouchy says i would have no respect for him at all ! Imagine that playing your best to get out of the club disgusting.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #82: Aug 06, 2009 03:32:11 pm
      He wanted out since the start of last season? How f**king depressing that he went on to play the best he has for us. With each word he says, I start to doubt him as a person and I dont want to. He was a great player and did so many things for this club, but this tarnishes it. His best form was brought to bring about a transfer. Poor, Xabi.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying you would have more respect for him if on realising he wanted out he went on to deliberately play poorly?
      Surely a professional footballer plays his best each and every time he goes out there, personally I have more respect for someone who continues to put in 100% even though his heart is not at the club.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #83: Aug 06, 2009 03:50:31 pm
      Although he wanted to part ways with us but he still gave us 100% commitment last season!He's really a true professional!Not many will do what Alonso did in his last year with us. Thanks Alonso for your service!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #84: Aug 06, 2009 06:35:00 pm
      Xabi Alonso has no hard feelings towards Rafa Benitez after Real Madrid switch

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/08/06/no-hard-feelings-boss-115875-21574761/

Xabi Alonso last night insisted he has nothing but respect for Rafa Benitez.

Speculation was rife that Alonso's relationship with Liverpool boss Benitez disintegrated before he left.

But at his unveiling as a Real Madrid player last night, Alonso said: "I have repeated over and over again that the relationship was a professional one, of mutual respect, a normal one between coach and player.

"I respect Rafa and thank him for the opportunity he gave me. The goodbyes were quite brief, everything happened very quickly. I want to return to say goodbye properly to my team-mates and Rafa.

"Five years is a big deal in a club like Liverpool. I learned a great deal."

Alonso also paid tribute to the Liverpool fans - but admits he decided to go months ago.

After being unveiled as a Real Madrid player at their Bernabeu stadium, he said: "It's a very happy day for me. It's an important step in my career to come to a club like Real Madrid.

"I'm very happy to be part of this club. It's the best opportunity for me to develop as a footballer.

"I am very grateful to Liverpool fans, they were very warm during my five years. It will be really difficult to match their appreciation. I really enjoyed those five years.

"But a few months ago I took that decision as I thought it was the right moment to find a fresh challenge, to look for a new club.

"That's when Real Madrid came along. Luckily a deal has been done and I'm very happy.

"It is a personal challenge I felt is necessary for my football career."

I have indeed misread. Thanks lads- sorry Xabi, to an extent.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #85: Aug 06, 2009 08:55:47 pm
      F***ing heartbreaking these pics. I was over it awhile ago, but the pics bring back how pissed i am. I know we'll move on, but still don't like seeing him in that strip, and alongside ladyboy as well >:(

nh2avn
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #86: Aug 07, 2009 12:09:19 pm
      A little bit sad when he leaves, but it could be a good chance to restructure our team and a good chance for other players who want to show their contributions and abilities.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #87: Aug 08, 2009 10:00:41 am
      He had his debut last night for Madrid they won 5-1

robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #88: Aug 08, 2009 10:06:37 am
      I would just like to say a big thanks to Martin Oneil, thanks to you mate, we have got another season and another 14 million for alonso....ha ha, funny how things work out.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #89: Aug 08, 2009 10:56:48 am

Xabi mate, there's some sh*t on your shirt. Right about where the Liverbird used to be.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #90: Aug 08, 2009 04:53:28 pm
      Although he wanted to part ways with us but he still gave us 100% commitment last season!He's really a true professional!Not many will do what Alonso did in his last year with us. Thanks Alonso for your service!
      I am with you there
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Reply #91: Aug 10, 2009 04:28:05 am
      I was obviously sad about this move but when i saw this new friendship everything went so clear to me...

no longer worried, in fact i'm happy because i know that people like him is not longer with us

Quick Reply