Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid -> Bayern)

Read 176711 times
      ScottMcL05
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #690: Apr 18, 2016 12:33:40 pm
      Absolute Hero! Would take him back in a heart beat! :soccer_h4h:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #691: Sep 02, 2016 01:19:26 pm
      :(

Xabi Alonso: ‘I want to win everything there is to win with Bayern Munich’
      It is wintertime and snow gently begins to fall on SĂ€bener Strasse, the affluent tree-lined residential boulevard that runs south from Munich’s centre. On one side, the low-rise chalet homes of middle-class families sit quietly, as elegantly dressed men stroll by during their morning walks accompanied by their elegantly dressed partners. Over the road is the training complex of the city’s most famous football club. Above a glass-plated front of clinical German design, a sign reads with awesome confidence: “FC Bayern”.

“I’m over here, mate,” Xabi Alonso calls, poking his head out from behind the wall of an access point, the use of the word “mate” a reminder that five years living on Merseyside can have a long-lasting influence on a foreign player’s vocabulary.

Alonso left Liverpool in 2009, when the running of the club could not have offered more of a contrast to the situation at Bayern now. A league finish of second the season before represented Liverpool’s best performance since 1990 and yet the club was lobotomized – run by a pair of feuding owners who were separated from Merseyside by an entire ocean and several time zones – 18 months away from the edge of financial administration and potentially, had it not been for the supporters, complete collapse.

Watching Alonso train makes you question why Rafael Benítez deemed it appropriate to try to sell him in the first place. Alonso was close to leaving in 2008 when the manager made it clear that he wanted his sale to fund the signing of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, and although Alonso remained for another 12 months, he concedes “something changed” in their relationship at that moment.

Alonso was 26-years-old then and he is 34 now. He remains the player his team-mates look for, the one who never hides, the manager’s coach on the pitch: a description once used by Benítez, in fact.

He starts in almost every game for one of Europe’s greatest teams, believing this is only possible because of the levels he meets in training sessions, where “the quest to prove myself remains day after day after day”. He emphasises the point by punching his right fist into the left palm, an action repeated several times during the course of an interview where he speaks eloquently, wisely and frequently with passion.

Alonso is the only player in football history to have experienced the management of those considered as the great four modern European coaches: Benítez, José Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Pep Guardiola. Each one of them has admitted that success follows them because they find a way to govern the midfield, the area where Alonso plays. He is far too modest to acknowledge that his presence and brain have been a crucial influence in all of the teams he has performed in.

“If you win the midfield, you probably win the game,” he confesses. “But that doesn’t mean the players in the midfield are the ones alone who determine that, because now we have strikers who drop into midfield and defenders who move up into the midfield. It is the area you must dominate. If you have control of the midfield, you have control of the game and you have more chances to win.”

Though reliably tasked with influencing the deepest midfield position, Alonso explains that his brief at each club has been slightly different. At Liverpool, Benítez wanted him to feed Steven Gerrard; at Real Madrid the target – Cristiano Ronaldo – was slightly further away, meaning longer passes. At Bayern, where the game is shorter, Guardiola has called Alonso a “funnel”.

Alonso, however, has not just acted as a comfort blanket for others throughout his career. He has scored some outrageous goals. At Liverpool, two were delivered from the halfway line: at Luton Town’s Kenilworth Road, then against Newcastle United at Anfield. These were not his only attempts.

“Yes, yes, yes, but where is the risk in that?” he asks quickly. “There is no risk. If the shot does not result in a goal, it does not matter, because nobody expects me to score. In these situations, only the goalkeeper looks stupid. I don’t try to do things that might make me look stupid, because the risk is there. How many times have you seen me run into the box with the ball, dribbling past players? It’s uncommon because it’s not my game; it’s not my thing.

“For my game to be better, I need to be surrounded by better players than me. My game is not to have one great action. My game is to be consistent throughout: to bring the ball in the best and quickest possible way for the best players to make the last action. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are on the pitch. My duty is to be risk averse.”

There was a time in English football when ‘midfield’ and ‘battle’ equated to hard tackling and, more often than not, outright intimidation. Alonso arrived at Liverpool as a floppy-haired 23-year-old with a different idea of what aggression really constitutes. “I have always said there are different types of aggression,” he explains. “You can tackle aggressively but you can also pass aggressively, although I prefer to use the word ‘authority’ here.”

Alonso views passing as a creative art – proactive – compared to tackling as destructive and therefore reactive. He does not see tackling as a quality at all and when he has spoken about this in the past, his view has been met by criticism, particularly from English defenders. “I stick with my opinion. I know it is viewed differently in Britain. It’s not the action [of tackling]. It’s the idea: the cause and the consequence.

“I love to tackle. But if I could avoid it, I think I have done better in my job. If I tackle, sliding across the floor, it means that I – or someone else – have been caught out of position at the start of the move and that drives me crazy because team shape and balance is crucial. At Bayern, this is what we practise all of the time: ‘shape, shape, shape’. If you spend too much time on the ground, it means your positioning is not so good.

“Stevie’s [Gerrard] tackling? OK, of course, I love it. They are spectacular and the crowd gets so excited. But for me, I get excited when he receives the ball and plays the last pass before a goal. That makes me smile the most. This is his greatest strength. Seeing the pass, seeing what other players do not see.”

Alonso’s favourite players played in the same position that he would later make his own. There was Real Madrid’s Argentine, Fernando Redondo, Pep Guardiola from Barcelona, as well as the Portuguese midfield duo at Real Sociedad, Carlos Xavier and Oceano. His own dreams began and ended at his hometown club [Real Sociedad], though he did not join them until he was 17.

“I did not think I would become a footballer,” he says. “I led a normal life until I was 16. Normal school. Normal upbringing. I was fortunate that I did not have any distractions from being a young person, because football can take over every-thing. In the long term, I think this has helped my outlook on life.

“Within a year, I had made my debut for the first team at Sociedad. Everything happened so fast. The second year, I went on loan to Eibar and then came back. John Toshack helped make me an important player. I had no time to think, What if this happens? What if that happens? My football career just happened. Living without the anxieties of wondering about the future all the time helped me.”

Toshack could not recall a youth-team player having such an impact at any of his previous clubs. “Everyone seemed to play better when he was on the pitch,” Toshack said after Alonso had told his manager that he “was not afraid of responsibility”, a moment which led to him being awarded the captaincy in a final attempt to change the atmosphere and avoid relegation. Sociedad were bottom of the league when Toshack made the decision in January 2001, and when the season was over, they had survived. “We knew we had a special player on our hands,” Toshack said.

Alonso had been close to joining Real Madrid, where he would have replaced David Beckham in the centre of midfield, but Madrid had doubts about his pace and mobility. “It dragged on and on and on and on with Madrid. It was exasperating. Then Liverpool approached with a very serious interest. Madrid had taken a couple of months to reach the same point in negotiation that Liverpool reached in a couple of days. I was like, ‘Come on, it’s either going to happen or it is not – decision time.’ I decided that if Liverpool wanted me so much, I preferred to go there. I saw Liverpool as a great chance, a top club.”

Alonso made his Liverpool debut against Bolton Wanderers in a game where Sami Hyypia broke his nose and Rafael Benítez called Sam Allardyce’s side a “basketball team”.

“We lost and I walked off the pitch, thinking, I’m going to have to learn really quickly about English football. It was wild: long ball, second ball, big physical players – Kevin Nolan, Kevin Davies up front; Allardyce chewing gum and shouting orders from his technical area. The crowd was noisy but I could still hear Allardyce. When Bolton won a free kick, the army from the defence moved forward and the ground began to shake.”

Alonso says the spine of Liverpool’s 2005 Champions League-winning side was already there by the time he arrived. He equalised to make it 3–3 in the final against Milan by scoring the rebound, having seen his initial penalty saved.

“Carra [Jamie Carragher], Stevie, Sami and Didi [Hamman] were all huge influences on everyone else. All different characters, strong personalities. When each one of them spoke, I listened. They helped me improve as a player and as a person, and when I went back to Spain to play for the national team I felt a lot stronger through the experiences shared with them.”

“I liked Carra the most,” he continues. “He is the biggest Scouser in the world. We got on well from day one. I think he realised that I loved football and he loves football too. We would watch games together and talk about it every day. I think he respected that I would enter arguments with him. He was always very loud; you could hear his voice above everyone else’s. I would say, ‘Carra, shut the F**k up, you have no idea!’ He liked all of that: the confrontation.”

Alonso believes winning the title in 2009 would have been more satisfying than the Champions League, because “to win the league you need to have everything. These were my happiest times at Liverpool: Pepe [Reina] to [Daniel] Agger, Agger to me, me to Stevie and Stevie to [Fernando] Torres. Sometimes it would take less than 10 seconds. The spine in that team was the best I’ve played in. You also have Carra and [Javier] Mascherano in the side – top-class players. There was skill, steel and speed; it was very competitive, very intense. Very, very determined and committed.

“This side did not win anything together but we felt we could win everything. We had a few stupid draws at home and in the end that’s why we did not win the league. We always had that feeling, that belief and confidence. Nobody scared us. We went to the BernabĂ©u and won. We went to Old Trafford and won. We went to Stamford Bridge and won: big games, big occasions that define seasons. It frustrates me so, so much. In 2005, we won the Champions League with a not-so-good team. In 2007, we lost the Champions League final with a better team and a more convincing performance. In 2009, we played the best football and lost the least amount of games but still did not win the league. That is the beauty of football, I guess. It is not a straight line.”

The highs, indeed, may have been exhilarating but the lows were equally excruciating. While Alonso was helping Spain win the European Championship in 2008, he was also coming to terms with the fact that Rafael Benítez was trying to sell him against his wishes. As Spain’s open-top bus crept through the centre of Madrid amidst the celebrations, there was a niggling thought at the back of his mind that his time on Merseyside could possibly arrive at a sudden and disappointing end.

Benítez had believed that Alonso could be as influential to his Liverpool side as Kenny Dalglish was to Bob Paisley’s. Yet by March 2008, the cracks in the relationship between Alonso and Benítez started to show. Alonso had missed the second leg of a Champions League last-16 tie against Internazionale at the San Siro to be with his wife as she gave birth to their son. Benítez, though, had missed his own father’s funeral because of Liverpool’s commitments at the 2005 Club World Championship in Japan and Alonso’s decision came at a time when his form had dipped. At the end of the season, Benítez made a controversial decision.

“Rafa came to me and was very clear. He said, ‘Xabi, we need the money to sign other players that I want’. In order to make that money, my name was the first on the list to be sold. I said, ‘OK, Rafa, no problem. I am a professional. I understand that’. There was interest from Juventus. There was interest from Arsenal. But the clubs could not agree terms. I was ready to leave, because the manager wanted me to leave. It did not happen, though. So the next year, the situation was different. I went to Rafa: ‘OK, a year ago you wanted me to leave and I accepted it. Now I want to leave . 
’ In the end, there was an agreement but it was not easy because he wanted me to stay by that point.”

Alonso was arguably Liverpool’s most popular foreign player. In a pre-season friendly against Lazio, when rumours were circulating about Alonso being sold to finance Gareth Barry’s move to Liverpool, the roar from the terraces was deafening when Alonso’s name was read out. “You can shove your Gareth Barry up your arse,” the Kop chorused. Jan Molby, the Danish midfielder who had starred in Liverpool’s greatest teams and someone Alonso had been compared to due to passing range, spoke out about the possible move, stating it would be Benítez’s worst decision since taking charge. Though Alonso remained, the reality is, had Arsenal or Juventus matched Liverpool’s £18m asking price, he would have departed sooner than he did.

He uses the word “professional” when describing his connection with Benítez thereafter, insisting that he did not harbour a grudge, “because I’m not that type of character”. I suggest to him that it could not have been nice – as it would not be in any working environment – to discover your boss does not rate you as highly as previously believed.

“I was surprised,” Alonso admits. “I was disappointed too, because I was very happy in Liverpool. I could walk down the street and people would beep their car horns and wave. None of this would matter to Rafa, of course, but why should it? He was the manager. He has his way of doing things.”

Alonso is smart enough to recognise that both he and Benítez remain popular on Merseyside. Yet judging by the way he speaks, it seems inescapable that Benítez instilled a sense of resentment that made Alonso’s departure inevitable. “Yes, I can admit that my relationship with Rafa wasn’t as good as it had been in the first year,” he says. “But I didn’t ask to leave because of that. I had been five years at Liverpool. I had the feeling it was the right thing to do.

“Moving from Liverpool to Madrid was the most difficult step to make in terms of the decision. But I felt that I had new things to learn, new challenges to take. The only thing I regret is not winning the Premier League with Liverpool. I’ll never know how that feels and experience the reaction of the city, as I did after Istanbul. It hurts because I know the people want the league title more than anything.”

Alonso talks like a manager and it is imaginable that one day he will follow that path. Having worked under BenĂ­tez, Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola, he must have so much to pass on.

“People ask me all the time: what links these four guys? It sounds simplistic but, fundamentally, they are all leaders,” he says. “They are the ones who, at their best, know how to take the pressure and worries away from the players.”

For the time being, only playing motivates him. “I know these are my last years and because of that I want the success even more. I want to be productive. I don’t look back at what I’ve done in the past or how I’ve got here. I only look forward and at ways of maintaining my levels.

“I am committed at Bayern until 2017. I want to win the Bundesliga again. I want to win the cup. I want to win the Champions League for a third different club. I want to win everything there is to win. And maybe then I will stop.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/02/xabi-alonso-i-want-to-win-everything-there-is-to-win-with-bayern-munich-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #692: Sep 02, 2016 01:50:50 pm

It is wintertime and snow gently begins to fall on SĂ€bener Strasse, the affluent tree-lined residential boulevard that runs south from Munich’s centre. On one side, the low-rise chalet homes of middle-class families sit quietly, as elegantly dressed men stroll by during their morning walks accompanied by their elegantly dressed partners. Over the road is the training complex of the city’s most famous football club. Above a glass-plated front of clinical German design, a sign reads with awesome confidence: “FC Bayern”.

“I’m over here, mate,” Xabi Alonso calls, poking his head out from behind the wall of an access point, the use of the word “mate” a reminder that five years living on Merseyside can have a long-lasting influence on a foreign player’s vocabulary.

Alonso left Liverpool in 2009, when the running of the club could not have offered more of a contrast to the situation at Bayern now. A league finish of second the season before represented Liverpool’s best performance since 1990 and yet the club was lobotomized – run by a pair of feuding owners who were separated from Merseyside by an entire ocean and several time zones – 18 months away from the edge of financial administration and potentially, had it not been for the supporters, complete collapse.

Watching Alonso train makes you question why Rafael Benítez deemed it appropriate to try to sell him in the first place. Alonso was close to leaving in 2008 when the manager made it clear that he wanted his sale to fund the signing of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, and although Alonso remained for another 12 months, he concedes “something changed” in their relationship at that moment.

Alonso was 26-years-old then and he is 34 now. He remains the player his team-mates look for, the one who never hides, the manager’s coach on the pitch: a description once used by Benítez, in fact.

He starts in almost every game for one of Europe’s greatest teams, believing this is only possible because of the levels he meets in training sessions, where “the quest to prove myself remains day after day after day”. He emphasises the point by punching his right fist into the left palm, an action repeated several times during the course of an interview where he speaks eloquently, wisely and frequently with passion.

Alonso is the only player in football history to have experienced the management of those considered as the great four modern European coaches: Benítez, José Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Pep Guardiola. Each one of them has admitted that success follows them because they find a way to govern the midfield, the area where Alonso plays. He is far too modest to acknowledge that his presence and brain have been a crucial influence in all of the teams he has performed in.

“If you win the midfield, you probably win the game,” he confesses. “But that doesn’t mean the players in the midfield are the ones alone who determine that, because now we have strikers who drop into midfield and defenders who move up into the midfield. It is the area you must dominate. If you have control of the midfield, you have control of the game and you have more chances to win.”

Though reliably tasked with influencing the deepest midfield position, Alonso explains that his brief at each club has been slightly different. At Liverpool, Benítez wanted him to feed Steven Gerrard; at Real Madrid the target – Cristiano Ronaldo – was slightly further away, meaning longer passes. At Bayern, where the game is shorter, Guardiola has called Alonso a “funnel”.

Alonso, however, has not just acted as a comfort blanket for others throughout his career. He has scored some outrageous goals. At Liverpool, two were delivered from the halfway line: at Luton Town’s Kenilworth Road, then against Newcastle United at Anfield. These were not his only attempts.

“Yes, yes, yes, but where is the risk in that?” he asks quickly. “There is no risk. If the shot does not result in a goal, it does not matter, because nobody expects me to score. In these situations, only the goalkeeper looks stupid. I don’t try to do things that might make me look stupid, because the risk is there. How many times have you seen me run into the box with the ball, dribbling past players? It’s uncommon because it’s not my game; it’s not my thing.

“For my game to be better, I need to be surrounded by better players than me. My game is not to have one great action. My game is to be consistent throughout: to bring the ball in the best and quickest possible way for the best players to make the last action. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are on the pitch. My duty is to be risk averse.”

There was a time in English football when ‘midfield’ and ‘battle’ equated to hard tackling and, more often than not, outright intimidation. Alonso arrived at Liverpool as a floppy-haired 23-year-old with a different idea of what aggression really constitutes. “I have always said there are different types of aggression,” he explains. “You can tackle aggressively but you can also pass aggressively, although I prefer to use the word ‘authority’ here.”

Alonso views passing as a creative art – proactive – compared to tackling as destructive and therefore reactive. He does not see tackling as a quality at all and when he has spoken about this in the past, his view has been met by criticism, particularly from English defenders. “I stick with my opinion. I know it is viewed differently in Britain. It’s not the action [of tackling]. It’s the idea: the cause and the consequence.

“I love to tackle. But if I could avoid it, I think I have done better in my job. If I tackle, sliding across the floor, it means that I – or someone else – have been caught out of position at the start of the move and that drives me crazy because team shape and balance is crucial. At Bayern, this is what we practise all of the time: ‘shape, shape, shape’. If you spend too much time on the ground, it means your positioning is not so good.

“Stevie’s [Gerrard] tackling? OK, of course, I love it. They are spectacular and the crowd gets so excited. But for me, I get excited when he receives the ball and plays the last pass before a goal. That makes me smile the most. This is his greatest strength. Seeing the pass, seeing what other players do not see.”

Alonso’s favourite players played in the same position that he would later make his own. There was Real Madrid’s Argentine, Fernando Redondo, Pep Guardiola from Barcelona, as well as the Portuguese midfield duo at Real Sociedad, Carlos Xavier and Oceano. His own dreams began and ended at his hometown club [Real Sociedad], though he did not join them until he was 17.

“I did not think I would become a footballer,” he says. “I led a normal life until I was 16. Normal school. Normal upbringing. I was fortunate that I did not have any distractions from being a young person, because football can take over every-thing. In the long term, I think this has helped my outlook on life.

“Within a year, I had made my debut for the first team at Sociedad. Everything happened so fast. The second year, I went on loan to Eibar and then came back. John Toshack helped make me an important player. I had no time to think, What if this happens? What if that happens? My football career just happened. Living without the anxieties of wondering about the future all the time helped me.”

Toshack could not recall a youth-team player having such an impact at any of his previous clubs. “Everyone seemed to play better when he was on the pitch,” Toshack said after Alonso had told his manager that he “was not afraid of responsibility”, a moment which led to him being awarded the captaincy in a final attempt to change the atmosphere and avoid relegation. Sociedad were bottom of the league when Toshack made the decision in January 2001, and when the season was over, they had survived. “We knew we had a special player on our hands,” Toshack said.

Alonso had been close to joining Real Madrid, where he would have replaced David Beckham in the centre of midfield, but Madrid had doubts about his pace and mobility. “It dragged on and on and on and on with Madrid. It was exasperating. Then Liverpool approached with a very serious interest. Madrid had taken a couple of months to reach the same point in negotiation that Liverpool reached in a couple of days. I was like, ‘Come on, it’s either going to happen or it is not – decision time.’ I decided that if Liverpool wanted me so much, I preferred to go there. I saw Liverpool as a great chance, a top club.”

Alonso made his Liverpool debut against Bolton Wanderers in a game where Sami Hyypia broke his nose and Rafael Benítez called Sam Allardyce’s side a “basketball team”.

“We lost and I walked off the pitch, thinking, I’m going to have to learn really quickly about English football. It was wild: long ball, second ball, big physical players – Kevin Nolan, Kevin Davies up front; Allardyce chewing gum and shouting orders from his technical area. The crowd was noisy but I could still hear Allardyce. When Bolton won a free kick, the army from the defence moved forward and the ground began to shake.”

Alonso says the spine of Liverpool’s 2005 Champions League-winning side was already there by the time he arrived. He equalised to make it 3–3 in the final against Milan by scoring the rebound, having seen his initial penalty saved.

“Carra [Jamie Carragher], Stevie, Sami and Didi [Hamman] were all huge influences on everyone else. All different characters, strong personalities. When each one of them spoke, I listened. They helped me improve as a player and as a person, and when I went back to Spain to play for the national team I felt a lot stronger through the experiences shared with them.”

“I liked Carra the most,” he continues. “He is the biggest Scouser in the world. We got on well from day one. I think he realised that I loved football and he loves football too. We would watch games together and talk about it every day. I think he respected that I would enter arguments with him. He was always very loud; you could hear his voice above everyone else’s. I would say, ‘Carra, shut the F**k up, you have no idea!’ He liked all of that: the confrontation.”

Alonso believes winning the title in 2009 would have been more satisfying than the Champions League, because “to win the league you need to have everything. These were my happiest times at Liverpool: Pepe [Reina] to [Daniel] Agger, Agger to me, me to Stevie and Stevie to [Fernando] Torres. Sometimes it would take less than 10 seconds. The spine in that team was the best I’ve played in. You also have Carra and [Javier] Mascherano in the side – top-class players. There was skill, steel and speed; it was very competitive, very intense. Very, very determined and committed.

“This side did not win anything together but we felt we could win everything. We had a few stupid draws at home and in the end that’s why we did not win the league. We always had that feeling, that belief and confidence. Nobody scared us. We went to the BernabĂ©u and won. We went to Old Trafford and won. We went to Stamford Bridge and won: big games, big occasions that define seasons. It frustrates me so, so much. In 2005, we won the Champions League with a not-so-good team. In 2007, we lost the Champions League final with a better team and a more convincing performance. In 2009, we played the best football and lost the least amount of games but still did not win the league. That is the beauty of football, I guess. It is not a straight line.”

The highs, indeed, may have been exhilarating but the lows were equally excruciating. While Alonso was helping Spain win the European Championship in 2008, he was also coming to terms with the fact that Rafael Benítez was trying to sell him against his wishes. As Spain’s open-top bus crept through the centre of Madrid amidst the celebrations, there was a niggling thought at the back of his mind that his time on Merseyside could possibly arrive at a sudden and disappointing end.

Benítez had believed that Alonso could be as influential to his Liverpool side as Kenny Dalglish was to Bob Paisley’s. Yet by March 2008, the cracks in the relationship between Alonso and Benítez started to show. Alonso had missed the second leg of a Champions League last-16 tie against Internazionale at the San Siro to be with his wife as she gave birth to their son. Benítez, though, had missed his own father’s funeral because of Liverpool’s commitments at the 2005 Club World Championship in Japan and Alonso’s decision came at a time when his form had dipped. At the end of the season, Benítez made a controversial decision.

“Rafa came to me and was very clear. He said, ‘Xabi, we need the money to sign other players that I want’. In order to make that money, my name was the first on the list to be sold. I said, ‘OK, Rafa, no problem. I am a professional. I understand that’. There was interest from Juventus. There was interest from Arsenal. But the clubs could not agree terms. I was ready to leave, because the manager wanted me to leave. It did not happen, though. So the next year, the situation was different. I went to Rafa: ‘OK, a year ago you wanted me to leave and I accepted it. Now I want to leave . 
’ In the end, there was an agreement but it was not easy because he wanted me to stay by that point.”

Alonso was arguably Liverpool’s most popular foreign player. In a pre-season friendly against Lazio, when rumours were circulating about Alonso being sold to finance Gareth Barry’s move to Liverpool, the roar from the terraces was deafening when Alonso’s name was read out. “You can shove your Gareth Barry up your arse,” the Kop chorused. Jan Molby, the Danish midfielder who had starred in Liverpool’s greatest teams and someone Alonso had been compared to due to passing range, spoke out about the possible move, stating it would be Benítez’s worst decision since taking charge. Though Alonso remained, the reality is, had Arsenal or Juventus matched Liverpool’s £18m asking price, he would have departed sooner than he did.

He uses the word “professional” when describing his connection with Benítez thereafter, insisting that he did not harbour a grudge, “because I’m not that type of character”. I suggest to him that it could not have been nice – as it would not be in any working environment – to discover your boss does not rate you as highly as previously believed.

“I was surprised,” Alonso admits. “I was disappointed too, because I was very happy in Liverpool. I could walk down the street and people would beep their car horns and wave. None of this would matter to Rafa, of course, but why should it? He was the manager. He has his way of doing things.”

Alonso is smart enough to recognise that both he and Benítez remain popular on Merseyside. Yet judging by the way he speaks, it seems inescapable that Benítez instilled a sense of resentment that made Alonso’s departure inevitable. “Yes, I can admit that my relationship with Rafa wasn’t as good as it had been in the first year,” he says. “But I didn’t ask to leave because of that. I had been five years at Liverpool. I had the feeling it was the right thing to do.

“Moving from Liverpool to Madrid was the most difficult step to make in terms of the decision. But I felt that I had new things to learn, new challenges to take. The only thing I regret is not winning the Premier League with Liverpool. I’ll never know how that feels and experience the reaction of the city, as I did after Istanbul. It hurts because I know the people want the league title more than anything.”

Alonso talks like a manager and it is imaginable that one day he will follow that path. Having worked under BenĂ­tez, Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola, he must have so much to pass on.

“People ask me all the time: what links these four guys? It sounds simplistic but, fundamentally, they are all leaders,” he says. “They are the ones who, at their best, know how to take the pressure and worries away from the players.”

For the time being, only playing motivates him. “I know these are my last years and because of that I want the success even more. I want to be productive. I don’t look back at what I’ve done in the past or how I’ve got here. I only look forward and at ways of maintaining my levels.

“I am committed at Bayern until 2017. I want to win the Bundesliga again. I want to win the cup. I want to win the Champions League for a third different club. I want to win everything there is to win. And maybe then I will stop.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/02/xabi-alonso-i-want-to-win-everything-there-is-to-win-with-bayern-munich-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw

Hahahaha the bit about telling Carra to shut the F**k up in footy arguments between the two did make me laugh though.

Shows the characters we had in that side at the time.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #693: Sep 02, 2016 05:49:19 pm

“I liked Carra the most,” he continues. “He is the biggest Scouser in the world. We got on well from day one. I think he realised that I loved football and he loves football too. We would watch games together and talk about it every day. I think he respected that I would enter arguments with him. He was always very loud; you could hear his voice above everyone else’s. I would say, ‘Carra, shut the f**k up, you have no idea!’ He liked all of that: the confrontation.”

THIS is the standard of player we must always aspire to.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #694: Sep 02, 2016 05:50:57 pm
      Hahahaha the bit about telling Carra to shut the F**k up in footy arguments between the two did make me laugh though.

Shows the characters we had in that side at the time.

My favourite bit. Would've loved to see Carra's/the team's reaction :D
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #695: Sep 02, 2016 06:49:19 pm
      He's right about one thing the spine of that team was electric , it's fckin baffling how that team won fck all unyet it had the ground bouncing , ah the days of the Torres bounce , looking at the standard of player in that team the fall was fckin epic for all the wrong reasons , couldn't ya just fly to America and smash Tom &George straight between the eyes fckin sh*t houses the pair of them ,
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #696: Sep 02, 2016 07:14:03 pm
      He's right about one thing the spine of that team was electric , it's fckin baffling how that team won fck all unyet it had the ground bouncing , ah the days of the Torres bounce , looking at the standard of player in that team the fall was fckin epic for all the wrong reasons , couldn't ya just fly to America and smash Tom &George straight between the eyes fckin sh*t houses the pair of them ,

Yep, we had the best midfield in the world for 3 or 4 years there. T&G have a lot to answer for.

Why the f**k Rafa wanted to sell Xabi Alonso to buy Gareth Barry is a mystery too though.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #697: Sep 02, 2016 08:19:29 pm
      Reading that and his way of thinking and his role in the team just shows why he has been regarded one of the best deep lying midfielders the last decade+. And best and most balanced spine he has ever played in, nice to see him acknowledging it!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #698: Sep 03, 2016 08:05:27 am

Heartbreaking.

We literally had it all.

The fans, the manager, the players, the attitude. It all fit so well together :(
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #699: Sep 03, 2016 08:26:14 am
      Yep, we had the best midfield in the world for 3 or 4 years there. T&G have a lot to answer for.

Why the f**k Rafa wanted to sell Xabi Alonso to buy Gareth Barry is a mystery too though.

Think that was one of Rafa,s biggest mistakes in his time here .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #700: Sep 03, 2016 10:51:11 am
      funny how he agrees with the fans in you cant win anything without dominating his area of midfield and having a strong spine.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #701: Sep 03, 2016 11:16:52 am
      Heartbreaking.

We literally had it all.

The fans, the manager, the players, the attitude. It all fit so well together :(

A little bit more investment in the team at that stage and we would have been dominant in the league for years to come, such a shame, but this is a new chapter, no use crying about the past, we have to look to the future.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #702: Sep 03, 2016 11:31:57 am

“I liked Carra the most,” he continues. “He is the biggest Scouser in the world. We got on well from day one. I think he realised that I loved football and he loves football too. We would watch games together and talk about it every day. I think he respected that I would enter arguments with him. He was always very loud; you could hear his voice above everyone else’s. I would say, ‘Carra, shut the f**k up, you have no idea!’ He liked all of that: the confrontation.”

One of the greatest players to grace anfield. What an amazing footballer
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #703: Sep 03, 2016 12:06:03 pm

Season before Xabi had a poor season, was only till he was told about his sale did we see that special season when my god was Xabi on fire!..

The Gareth Barry saga..well I think it had to do with playing Barry on the left wing feeding Gerrard his best mate ;D the skipper wanted Gareth alongside him too & was encouraging Rafa to pursue Barry...

Heartbreaking.

We literally had it all.

I still look back at that team & think...f**k me...It really did have everything...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #704: Sep 03, 2016 12:39:48 pm
      Season before Xabi had a poor season, was only till he was told about his sale did we see that special season when my god was Xabi on fire!..

The Gareth Barry saga..well I think it had to do with playing Barry on the left wing feeding Gerrard his best mate ;D the skipper wanted Gareth alongside him too & was encouraging Rafa to pursue Barry...

I still look back at that team & think...f**k me...It really did have everything...

Top players all over the pitch.

Makes me want to cry watching Henderson wear that special armband.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #705: Sep 03, 2016 03:24:34 pm
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #706: Sep 03, 2016 03:41:10 pm
      Remember the days when Alonso was deemed surplus to requirements, barely worth more than ÂŁ15m...touted about to Juve, Arsenal, to make way for Gareth Barry, before going on to show why he's regarded as one of the most accomplished midfielders in a generation. A player like him would utterly transform our midfield now.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #707: Sep 03, 2016 04:00:10 pm
      I think the team we had with Xabi around the 2007 mark was the best team I have seen with regards to characters.

Reina, Hyypia, Carra, Agger, Masch, Xabi, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres.

Looking back on it, and seeing what we have now is quite thoroughly depressing. Hendo would not have got a look in as captain even if he did make the team with those guys.

To me it's one of the biggest negatives of our transfer policy under Fenway, where there is now a severe lack of leaders and characters in the team due to a bias in potential over reached potential.

Having said that, I look around the prem and theres not many leaders coming through or that have come through recently (in this country anyway) so perhaps the game has changed in them 10 years.

I think JĂŒrgen will over time use low cost transfers to get around the Fenway model to bring some leaders in to the team.

I have a feeling that when we signed Klavan, Matip and Manninger he wanted to bring some know how in to the team and those players would have to be low cost transfer fees.

Even still, at present not a patch on that Rafa team of post Istanbul, even if somehow it didn't win all that much.

H+G and the internal politics were mostly to blame for that, and then the team was thoroughly broken up when Rafa departed.

What could have been!
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2016 04:15:57 pm by fields of anny rd »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #708: Sep 05, 2016 12:09:08 pm
      Let's not be silly, though. Xabi wasn't the player he was until the final season. He had a very quiet two seasons prior.

I don't think Rafa was wrong in looking to improve that position.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #709: Jan 18, 2017 11:12:30 am
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #710: Jan 18, 2017 12:01:42 pm

What a player he's been. Hope Bayern win the Champions League this season to send him out on a good note. Would also mean he has won CL trophies with 3 different teams.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #711: Jan 18, 2017 12:45:45 pm
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #712: Jan 19, 2017 01:11:50 am
      One of my all time faves.

Quick Reply