Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid -> Bayern)

Read 176707 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Liverpool -> Real Madrid)
      Reply #46: Aug 05, 2009 03:19:38 pm
      Ahh yeah he looked happy, walking through the airport, signing stuff, lying on the medical table, good for him, we'll push on and succeed anyway.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #47: Aug 05, 2009 03:22:22 pm
      Just like Owen when a main player leaves we go on to bigger and better things (winning champion's league) maybe this year when Alonso is in Spain on the bench Gerrard will be on a platform lifting number 19 ;D.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #48: Aug 05, 2009 03:24:34 pm
      Just like Owen when a main player leaves we go on to bigger and better things (winning champion's league) maybe this year when Alonso is in Spain on the bench Gerrard will be on a platform lifting number 19 ;D.

Would be icing on the cake to win number 6 at the Bernabeu as well ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #49: Aug 05, 2009 03:28:27 pm
      Like your thinking i think we can reach the final this year just hoping its not at the expense of number 19. I think playing for Real Madrid will dent Alonso's world cup chances as he wont be getting as many games as he would have with us i can see Fabregas overtaking him this year.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #50: Aug 05, 2009 03:34:08 pm
      Like your thinking I think we can reach the final this year just hoping its not at the expense of number 19. I think playing for Real Madrid will dent Alonso's world cup chances as he wont be getting as many games as he would have with us I can see Fabregas overtaking him this year.

Yeah, Real Madrid have a big problem keeping all their players happy. I think they've got too many players and have only sold Javier Saviola so far. I was thinking more of a treble season ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #51: Aug 05, 2009 03:38:04 pm
      Its possible wow Gerrard's gonna have to work on his weightlifting if he is going to be lifting up all them trophies.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #52: Aug 05, 2009 03:41:15 pm
      Well, Pepe can! He lifted Sami last year, ;D.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #53: Aug 05, 2009 03:42:49 pm
      Well, Pepe can! He lifted Sami last year, ;D.

;D. Pepe can be back up just in case Gerrard drops it. Back on topic who do you think will be the best possible replacement ?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #54: Aug 05, 2009 03:55:30 pm
      If I was playing the Playstation or PC, I'd put some money in for Xavi Hernandez, ;D but that's just plain mean. It's like taking Steven Gerrard out of Liverpool.

At the moment, Alberto Aquilani seems to be the best but I'm not sure if he can adjust to the demands of the Premier League. I also think Stephen Ireland is pretty good as he's young.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #55: Aug 05, 2009 03:57:00 pm
      Sadly with all the money Man city have i don't think he will come to us he is not a good professional in my eyes.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #56: Aug 05, 2009 04:01:43 pm
      Then I can't name anyone who I think will be a pretty good replacement as the other names may just be good in their leagues and are unproven in the Premier League.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #57: Aug 05, 2009 05:36:33 pm
      Everyone, :ontopic: please.

We have a thread for this discussion in the transfer board. vtorres, you should know that...
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #58: Aug 05, 2009 06:15:34 pm
      I think playing for Real Madrid will dent Alonso's world cup chances as he wont be getting as many games as he would have with us I can see Fabregas overtaking him this year.

It will help his chances. Like in England playing for a top 4 side, in Spain playing for either Barca or Real will big help and I don't get where you think he will play less, Real went after him for months, paid over the odds for him, he will be in the starting XI week in week out.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #59: Aug 05, 2009 07:43:17 pm
      I would hate to be the coach of Real Madrid.  Could you Imagine if he doesn't win the Spanish title.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #60: Aug 05, 2009 07:59:58 pm
      I would hate to be the coach of Real Madrid.  Could you Imagine if he doesn't win the Spanish title.

It isn't La Liga they really want, it is the Champions League that they are gunning for since the final will be held in their home stadium.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: Aug 05, 2009 10:59:13 pm
      So Rafa has said Xabi told him in may he wanted to leave, not even a good bye to the fans (even Arbeloa said thankyou). Glad he's gone to be honest, clearly wanted to be at Madrid regardless of how well he was treated by the fans here.

EDIT: Just heard his interview and he said thankyou to the fans :D
              Still doesn't make it right for him angling this move for so long!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #62: Aug 05, 2009 11:01:31 pm
      Everyone, :ontopic: please.

We have a thread for this discussion in the transfer board. vtorres, you should know that...

Sorry again. Anyway i wish Xabi all the best.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #63: Aug 05, 2009 11:42:42 pm
      Xabi's first interview as a Madrid player...

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1202777572295/noticia/Noticia/_I_was_very_anxious_for_this_day_to_arrive_.htm

"I was very anxious for this day to arrive"

Xabi Alonso: "Hopefully this team can offer dazzling football; the best recipe for success"

Xabi Alonso held his first press conference as a Madridista on Wednesday and expressed how eager he is to be joining such "an exciting project that has laid important groundwork."

One of the driving forces behind Real Madrid’s efforts was your desire to join this project.

I wasn’t sure if signing for Real Madrid would happen, but I was pretty confident. A made the decision to leave some time ago and there was no better club to sign for. I need to thank Real Madrid for their confidence in me, and this is the outcome I wanted. I am very happy.

What was your farewell from Liverpool like?

Very hasty. It all happened so fast and I didn’t have time to say goodbye properly. I will return to bid farewell as soon as I have a chance. I am very grateful to everyone. There will be time for a proper goodbye.

A lot has been said about your deteriorating relationship with Rafa Benitez.

I know a lot has been said, but there is mutual respect between us and professionalism. We have a cordial relationship.

Will you have to chance your style of football to adapt to Real Madrid?

Real Madrid and Liverpool obviously play differently, but I always try to maintain the same characteristics. I hope to contribute my very best. I am looking forward to participating and to becoming involved with the team.

How did your new teammates welcome you to your first training session?

I arrived a little late and they welcomed me with an applause. I talked to everyone. I will start to get to know them all better with time. I don’t think I will have any trouble adapting because I never have had any.

You almost signed for Real Madrid five years ago.

And five years later I am now a part of this club. This is the start of a new phase and there are high expectations and a lot of responsibility. I think great things will come out of this project.

You may make your Real Madrid debut in Anoeta Stadium.

I am hoping for a warm welcome. It is my home and I have always been treated kindly.

What did your time at Liverpool teach you?

I matured a lot during my five years in Liverpool. I grew as a player, played in the Champions League, won finals… The affection I left with and the many great nights I experienced… I know have more experience and want to do as best I can.

Did you have to do anything special to process for your transfer to be processed?

Informing the Federation wasn’t necessary. There is a formal process by which you put in a transfer request. The method by which my transfer took place doesn’t matter. What is important is that the operation was carried out.

When and how did you tell Liverpool that you wanted to leave?

I spoke to Rafa on several occasions last season, during the preseason and this summer. We knew there was a possibility so I immediately expressed my desire to return to Spanish football. In fact, when the season ended I spent several days training in Liverpool and I sat down with Rafa for two hours. We shared ideas and I told him I needed a change.

Do you feel pressure having to distribute balls to players like Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo?

The simple fact of playing for Real Madrid entails pressure that you must accept. I am up for the challenge. I know expectations are high for this project. I wil try to contribute with the same way I have always played in the midfield: by offering solutions to my teammates, directing the game… Everything I know how to do.

What are your thoughts on this project?

I think it is a very exciting project that has laid important groundwork. There were already good players here and new players who will contribute new things have arrived. Hopefully this compact mix of players can offer dazzling football, which is always the best recipe for success.

Is there anything you want to say to Liverpool fans?

I am very grateful to Liverpool fans who made my five years there fantastic. They must understand, though, that this opportunity came up and it was the best option for me.

Do you know why Benitez wasn’t giving you much playing time this preseason?

I don’t know, but I don’t have an opinion on the matter. Rafa has his reasons and I respect him. He wanted to try other people, so I understand.

You are the icing on the cake in making this team more Spanish.

Making the team more Spanish is a good thing. Many years ago there was a great mix of Spaniards and foreigners and it worked to perfection. Now there are several national team players here; people who know one another. There are players who are the perfect age and have proven how good they are. It is a great mix that hopefully works well.

Hmm, a propper goodbye? & It all happened so fast?

Ah well.  Players come and go.  Good luck Xabi.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #64: Aug 06, 2009 01:13:01 am
      Just had a thought as to why the clubs have said the fee will remain confidential (which it wont for long because never does)

Perez was adamant that he would be able to get Alonso cheaper than what Rafa was wanting for him so in order to save face with the Madrid fans and most of football come to think about it, he agreed to pay to asking price on the condition it remained confidential.

Well whatever the reasons are for it Rafa has one because he never gave in to Perez and let him dictate the fee unlike every other manager.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #65: Aug 06, 2009 01:22:06 am
      We must understand this was the best option for him? Im sorry Xabi, but please enlighten me as to why this is.
      We for one are the best club in the world, so straight away I'm lost. You have the chance to be part of a historic team here as we come close to our title dream, and in the toughest league on the planet. Im sure any player would love to be able to say that. So again, im lost. Especially when you are going to a team that got embarrassed in the league by Barca last year, and is building a team of ego's rather than cohesion.
      Last of all the team you are leaving wiped the floor with Madrid last season! They are not a dream team going on that performance. We are the real galacticos, we just don't boast about it. We don't need to, because our feet do the talking, not our president. Enjoy it, but i still don't understand sorry.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #66: Aug 06, 2009 02:01:12 am
      We must understand this was the best option for him? Im sorry Xabi, but please enlighten me as to why this is.
      We for one are the best club in the world, so straight away I'm lost. You have the chance to be part of a historic team here as we come close to our title dream, and in the toughest league on the planet. Im sure any player would love to be able to say that. So again, im lost. Especially when you are going to a team that got embarrassed in the league by Barca last year, and is building a team of ego's rather than cohesion.
      Last of all the team you are leaving wiped the floor with Madrid last season! They are not a dream team going on that performance. We are the real galacticos, we just don't boast about it. We don't need to, because our feet do the talking, not our president. Enjoy it, but i still don't understand sorry.

Can't argue with one iota of your post but in saying that we are seeing things from a 100% LFC perspective and with Xabi he has no doubt got Real Madrid as a distraction and that has been his mindset from day one.
      He is not Spanish but the Basque community which he is part of are not well known for their football prowess and playing for Real must be every kids fantasy, he was a good servant for LFC and deserves all the associated honour but when Real came calling there was only going to be one answer.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #67: Aug 06, 2009 02:09:52 am
      Can't argue with one iota of your post but in saying that we are seeing things from a 100% LFC perspective and with Xabi he has no doubt got Real Madrid as a distraction and that has been his mindset from day one.
      He is not Spanish but the Basque community which he is part of are not well known for their football prowess and playing for Real must be every kids fantasy, he was a good servant for LFC and deserves all the associated honour but when Real came calling there was only going to be one answer.

Yeah, i am being biased maybe. But him asking us to understand is a bit rich i think. If we were in all sorts of trouble financially, not competing for honors and such then yeah i would reluctantly understand. But our club has been on the up and last season was one of the best in Europe, and certainly much better than Madrid. And he can't say he wasn't getting game time, as he was an integral part of our team. So any reasoning for leaving is lost on me. He has never said Madrid were a boyhood club or anything, he just seems to be glory hunting.
      I am very one eyed with Liverpool, just so you know ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #68: Aug 06, 2009 02:21:37 am

Wait I'm confused, are you saying Xabi is not Spanish? If you are saying that then you're wrong because he is Spanish.

Also i wouldn't say it's every kids dream and only one answer. I'd say most of our team, bar one or two, would quite happily turn down Madrid or have turned down Madrid.

Quick Reply