Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide

Read 211204 times
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,750 posts | 2677 
      Re: Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide
      Reply #675: Jul 18, 2016 03:25:05 pm
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,750 posts | 2677 
      Reply #676: Jul 19, 2016 04:20:28 pm

Fatima Manji: The Truth - why Kelvin MacKenzie's smears won't stop me from doing my job.

14:34, 19 JUL 2016 UPDATED 15:05, 19 JUL 2016
      BY FATIMA MANJI

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Muslim Channel Four News journalist writes for the ECHO after former S*n editor's criticism

SHARES

Fatima Manji (Pic: Channel 4 News)

Former S*n editor Kelvin MacKenzie sparked more than 800 complaints to press regulator Ipso after criticising Fatima Manji for wearing a Hijab on Channel Four News while reporting on the Nice attack.

Writing exclusively for the ECHO, Fatima sets out exactly why he was so wrong
      It would be easy to dismiss Kelvin MacKenzie as an embarrassing, and serially embarrassed, relic of a bygone era in British journalism.

After all, this is the man who slurred survivors of one of our most tragic national atrocities of recent decades. It took him 23 years to apologise and four more to claim he was “caught up” in a government conspiracy to tarnish Hillsborough victims, only after being confronted by brave campaigners and responsible journalists, including my Channel 4 News colleague Alex Thomson and the tireless team at the Liverpool Echo.

So I’m not expecting an apology from him any time soon.

The Sun, you will recall, is the newspaper that appears at ease with its columnists describing refugees dying at sea as “cockroaches”.

But it’s dangerous to regard Mr MacKenzie and those who echo his Islamophobic sentiments as mere pantomime villains. Their soapbox allows them to spread their ill-informed, irresponsible and malevolent invective to millions of readers. Racist and Islamophobic rhetoric has real consequences – lives have been lost and shattered in our own country.

I was grief-stricken by the massacre in Nice, particularly by the haunting image of a little girl’s corpse laying next to the doll that was once her companion.

Mr MacKenzie seemed to find my appearance on his screen equally horrific: ‘The scenes from Nice shocked audiences around the world, but did the C4 hosts (sic) headress (sic)?’

Widespread campaign

Mr MacKenzie’s article was but one wild screed in a long-running and widespread campaign to intimidate Muslims out of public life. Young men and women of all backgrounds regularly ask me for advice on how to forge a career in journalism. Mr MacKenzie’s monologue will frighten many of them into believing that they will be on the end of tabloid attacks merely for daring to do their jobs.

‘Was it done to stick one in the eye of the ordinary viewer who looks at the hijab as a sign of the slavery of Muslim women by a male-dominated and clearly violent religion?’

Kelvin MacKenzie has attempted to smear 1.6 billion Muslims in suggesting they are inherently violent. He has attempted to smear half of them further by suggesting they are helpless slaves. And he has attempted to smear me by suggesting I would sympathise with a terrorist.

In response to this, I have received kind messages from friends, colleagues, acquaintances and even those I have never met, expressing solidarity and anger at his words.

However, others took Mr MacKenzie’s column as licence to manufacture a debate on whether someone like me even belongs on screen. Among them was the Guardian’s Roy Greenslade, who chose to cite the views of his ‘woman friend’ to give Mr MacKenzie’s jackbooted variety of Islamophobia some liberal credence. Meanwhile, other outlets have taken to discussing whether or not I am a 'token'.

The truth is I always pride myself on journalistic integrity regardless of who I’m interviewing or what story I’m covering.

That is my mission at Channel 4 News. I will not be deterred in this mission by the efforts of those who find the presence of Muslims in British cultural life offensive.

THE TRUTH? I confess. I pi**ed on Kelvin MacKenzie’s apparent ambitions to force anyone who looks a little different off our screens, and I’ll keep doing it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fatima-manji-truth-kelvin-mackenzies-11635404
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,420 posts | 2444 
      Reply #677: Jul 20, 2016 10:07:08 pm

Fatima Manji: The Truth - why Kelvin MacKenzie's smears won't stop me from doing my job.

14:34, 19 JUL 2016 UPDATED 15:05, 19 JUL 2016
      BY FATIMA MANJI

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Muslim Channel Four News journalist writes for the ECHO after former S*n editor's criticism

SHARES

Fatima Manji (Pic: Channel 4 News)

Former S*n editor Kelvin MacKenzie sparked more than 800 complaints to press regulator Ipso after criticising Fatima Manji for wearing a Hijab on Channel Four News while reporting on the Nice attack.

Writing exclusively for the ECHO, Fatima sets out exactly why he was so wrong
      It would be easy to dismiss Kelvin MacKenzie as an embarrassing, and serially embarrassed, relic of a bygone era in British journalism.

After all, this is the man who slurred survivors of one of our most tragic national atrocities of recent decades. It took him 23 years to apologise and four more to claim he was “caught up” in a government conspiracy to tarnish Hillsborough victims, only after being confronted by brave campaigners and responsible journalists, including my Channel 4 News colleague Alex Thomson and the tireless team at the Liverpool Echo.

So I’m not expecting an apology from him any time soon.

The Sun, you will recall, is the newspaper that appears at ease with its columnists describing refugees dying at sea as “cockroaches”.

But it’s dangerous to regard Mr MacKenzie and those who echo his Islamophobic sentiments as mere pantomime villains. Their soapbox allows them to spread their ill-informed, irresponsible and malevolent invective to millions of readers. Racist and Islamophobic rhetoric has real consequences – lives have been lost and shattered in our own country.

I was grief-stricken by the massacre in Nice, particularly by the haunting image of a little girl’s corpse laying next to the doll that was once her companion.

Mr MacKenzie seemed to find my appearance on his screen equally horrific: ‘The scenes from Nice shocked audiences around the world, but did the C4 hosts (sic) headress (sic)?’

Widespread campaign

Mr MacKenzie’s article was but one wild screed in a long-running and widespread campaign to intimidate Muslims out of public life. Young men and women of all backgrounds regularly ask me for advice on how to forge a career in journalism. Mr MacKenzie’s monologue will frighten many of them into believing that they will be on the end of tabloid attacks merely for daring to do their jobs.

‘Was it done to stick one in the eye of the ordinary viewer who looks at the hijab as a sign of the slavery of Muslim women by a male-dominated and clearly violent religion?’

Kelvin MacKenzie has attempted to smear 1.6 billion Muslims in suggesting they are inherently violent. He has attempted to smear half of them further by suggesting they are helpless slaves. And he has attempted to smear me by suggesting I would sympathise with a terrorist.

In response to this, I have received kind messages from friends, colleagues, acquaintances and even those I have never met, expressing solidarity and anger at his words.

However, others took Mr MacKenzie’s column as licence to manufacture a debate on whether someone like me even belongs on screen. Among them was the Guardian’s Roy Greenslade, who chose to cite the views of his ‘woman friend’ to give Mr MacKenzie’s jackbooted variety of Islamophobia some liberal credence. Meanwhile, other outlets have taken to discussing whether or not I am a 'token'.

The truth is I always pride myself on journalistic integrity regardless of who I’m interviewing or what story I’m covering.

That is my mission at Channel 4 News. I will not be deterred in this mission by the efforts of those who find the presence of Muslims in British cultural life offensive.

THE TRUTH? I confess. I pi**ed on Kelvin MacKenzie’s apparent ambitions to force anyone who looks a little different off our screens, and I’ll keep doing it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/fatima-manji-truth-kelvin-mackenzies-11635404

"It" doesn't deserve that woman's dignity or our time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,402 posts | 3202 
      Reply #678: Jul 30, 2016 04:06:47 pm
      Parliamentary praise for Colin Murray's anti-shitrag stance.
      A parliamentary motion was made to support DJ Colin Murray who quit talkSPORT over it's links with the s-n.

MP Steve Rotherham's Early Day Motion expressed ''admiration for the presenter's reference and loyalty to the 96 victims of Britain's worst ever sporting disaster''.

read more:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mp-makes-motion-support-colin-11680561
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #679: Jul 30, 2016 04:15:49 pm
      Traveling down to the Midlands today so stopped of for petrol in Wigan, they were trying to give away free copies of the rag in the garage.

Can't give that sh*t away.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,826 posts | 3460 
      Reply #680: Aug 02, 2016 04:47:40 pm
      Another major Liverpool supermarket stops selling copies of The S*n

Another major Liverpool supermarket has stopped selling The S*n because there is “no demand” for it.

Tesco’s Allerton Road superstore has withdrawn the reviled tabloid from its shelves this week.

It comes after around 100 city shops stopped selling the newspaper in recent months because of mounting public pressure, according to campaigners.

And the ECHO earlier revealed how the Unite trade union is calling for a meeting with Sainsbury’s bosses after workers expressed concern about The S*n being on sale in Liverpool stores.

Asked about The S*n being pulled from the shelves of Tesco’s Allerton Road superstore, a spokesman said: “We stock all major local and national newspaper titles in our stores and we are always listening to the feedback that our customers give us.

“In stores where there is no demand for a particular title, that store would not receive that particular publication.”

The spokesman confirmed The S*n was withdrawn from sale this week.

The Total Eclipse of The S*n campaign group was set up earlier this year to pressure shops into no longer selling the newspaper.

Paul Collins and Alan Gordon, two of the founders of the movement, previously said in a statement: “In less than eight weeks we have driven The S*n newspaper out of more than 100 newsagents and establishments in Liverpool, including major supermarkets and major petrol stations.”

The campaign was officially endorsed by the ruling Labour group of Liverpool city council and protests have taken place outside some shops, including Morrisons in Speke and the Sainsbury’s store on East Prescot Road, Knotty Ash.

The S*n has been boycotted in Merseyside ever since its shameful coverage of the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/another-major-liverpool-supermarket-stops-11694156
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #681: Aug 02, 2016 06:59:31 pm
      Traveling down to the Midlands today so stopped of for petrol in Wigan, they were trying to give away free copies of the rag in the garage.

Can't give that sh*t away.

should of taken them all and burned them.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,402 posts | 3202 
      Reply #682: Aug 06, 2016 09:46:43 pm
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #683: Aug 07, 2016 10:16:49 am
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,750 posts | 2677 
      Reply #684: Aug 08, 2016 12:04:00 am
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #685: Aug 25, 2016 03:38:03 pm
      John Barnes was apparently reading from the rag on the 'Wright stuff' today.

F***ing hell John.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/john-barnes-sun-wright-stuff-11798609
      The Kopite91
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,646 posts | 229 
      • Irish Blood, Scouse Heart.
      Reply #686: Aug 25, 2016 03:47:28 pm
      John Barnes was apparently reading from the rag on the 'Wright stuff' today.

F***ing hell John.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/john-barnes-sun-wright-stuff-11798609

Poor form from Barnes, and a piss poor excuse too. Disappointed in him.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,750 posts | 2677 
      Reply #687: Aug 25, 2016 03:47:51 pm
      No excuse.
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #688: Aug 25, 2016 04:12:37 pm
      Poor form from Barnes, and a piss poor excuse too. Disappointed in him.

Piss poor excuse indeed, i haven't watched the clip but apparently that snivelling tw*t Wright asked him what he wanted to read from and he chose the rag. I don't care what he says, if you go on one of those shows you leave it up to someone else to read that sh*t. You make it crystal clear that you won't be reading from that rag or you don't go on, he doesn't need the f**king money.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,802 posts | 2088 
      Reply #689: Aug 25, 2016 10:28:28 pm
      Very poor form from Digger here.

No excuse at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,826 posts | 3460 
      Reply #690: Aug 27, 2016 02:54:57 am
      Piss poor excuse indeed, i haven't watched the clip but apparently that snivelling tw*t Wright asked him what he wanted to read from and he chose the rag. I don't care what he says, if you go on one of those shows you leave it up to someone else to read that sh*t. You make it crystal clear that you won't be reading from that rag or you don't go on, he doesn't need the f**king money.

Actually you'll probably find he does need the money with all the alimony and child payments he probably has had to make!

“What I will try and do tomorrow is ask them not to give me any stories from the S*n. I didn’t think reviewing a paper would be seen as a story. It’s crazy. I don’t like the Express or the Mail very much either but I still review them."

You can see why he didn't think it would be a story when he was doing the exact same thing on his own programme on LFCtv a few years back yet it was completely ignored.

ORCHARD RED
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,125 posts | 1326 
      • 5 Times!
      Reply #691: Aug 27, 2016 08:47:46 am
      Oh Digger! Wtf man?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #692: Aug 28, 2016 09:03:36 am
      the worst thing about Barnes doing this is the Scum will be pissing themselves laughing at what they have done getting a legend to read from their paper. He is out of order but so is the programme for putting him in that position its just a stupid stupid thing to do.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,402 posts | 3202 
      Reply #693: Sep 05, 2016 05:50:05 pm
      Merseytravel are to ask their vendors to stop selling the sh*t rag.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcnorthwesttonight/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf
      RedPuppy
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,327 posts | 1881 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #694: Sep 09, 2016 12:58:11 pm
      On the train to town, some bloke is 'reading' the rag, slightly older than me, so he really should know better.

As I said slightly older than me but dressed like a 4yr old, so that probably explains it.

I just can't understand some people.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #695: Sep 16, 2016 05:44:53 pm
      in 1989 the Berlin Wall came down so an entire Country was formed rebuilt and a hugely successful economy formed . in the same time we have managed to deny justice to 96 innocent people and ignorant people still buy read and believe everything that is in it.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,097 posts | 422 
      Reply #696: Jan 04, 2017 03:37:41 pm
      Move if wrong thread but i posted a vid from these guys a few weeks back. From their facebook.

CABBAGE
      December 31, 2016 at 10:54am ·
      The Sun championed us as a top tip for 2017. WHAT FUCKING MORONS. Read into the lyrics and you'll find how much we despise your odious, backward nationalism, Tory sucking cuntshipness. THIS IS YOUR MEDIA. They pay no attention to what is real, they exploit every single one of you and affect the way you think, everyone has a member of family or a friend affected by this awful repeated propaganda, It's a crime. Don't buy the sun, Don't even walk past it without burning it or spitting on it. They try to tell you what to think and harass true visionaries, artists and anyone who stands up to this f**king web of hate and profit. Murdoch will lead us into world wide demise. And for what.... Money and Power! 

https://www.facebook.com/cabbagelechou/,playing in Liverpool soon.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,559 posts | 4965 
      • YNWA
      Reply #697: Feb 21, 2017 05:26:18 pm
      Thought this should go in here. Shame on those like Gary Lineker (Lineker of all people) who thinks this was just a 'bit of fun'.

The 'Magic of the Cup' is paying a man to eat pie on television for money

Well done on staging everything. Taking something genuine and real and slapping a Sun f**king logo on it. Pointing to the big man who's out of shape, and saying 'It's your lucky day fatso! We're gonna make you a star!', before turning him into a roly-poly court jester you literally command to eat on television for 'lolz'.

'Chomp on this you big lardy bugger. Stuff this stodgy pie in your fat greedy face and chew on it hard. Eat it, gorge it. Nose-breathe heavily whilst it clogs up your arteries and we throw coins at your swollen belly and laugh.'

8-1. Fair odds to chew up and spit out a non-league player who can't believe his luck. Get him to eat it on the bench, in full view of the prime-time audience, so that the cameras can catch every last crumb of the 'magic of the cup' disappear into his cakehole in perfect high defintion.

Turn him into a viral sensation - 'legend' to 'sell-out' in ten minutes flat - and then cast him aside like a stale pastry carcass on the 3G pitch.

Wayne Shaw faces backlash. Wayne Shaw criticised by chairman. Wayne Shaw investigated by the Gambling Commission and FA. You know what? F**k him. Because you've got your publicity and he's got his pocket change and next week no one will give a sh*t about Wayne f**king Shaw.

Forget that he's left with the fallout. Forget that his teammates worked really f**king hard for the biggest game of their lives. Abuse the occasion to promote your mucky brand of fan-shaming, lie-packed, phone-hacking filth, and make it all so grubby and hideous that people at home actually want the minnows to lose.

Choreograph the f**k out of everything. Stamp it with your ugly seal. Make the town of Sutton a f**king circus for the day and manufacture such mouth-breathing idiocy that even the writers of Mrs Brown's Boys would take one look at the script and say: 'Nah lads, that's a bit too crass and lame for us...'

Infect football with a level of 'banter' so pitiful and ultimately cruel that it would make that Dapper Laughs pr**k think twice. Because after all, it fits with your lowly assumptions and utter contempt for football fans everywhere. They'll lap up this sh*te because they are sh*te, the scummy proles.

Of course any genuine expression of fan joy is dangerous and must be stopped. A two-minute pitch invasion to celebrate a goal is simply not on. Flares around football grounds? Oh deary me, that just won't do. Unless of course the dramatic images can be used ten years hence to fetishise and commoditise the 'casual state of mind' from a safe distance.

In the meantime, we should all just sit the f**k down and sup on overpriced sugary pop. Except we're all too dangerous having any sort of fun, so we'll have to remove the f**king top. Go ahead and sanitise everything we love and replace it with lowest common denominator bollocks because that's all we truly deserve. That and a rag of hateful lies.

Magic of the Cup? Aye, that.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-magic-of-the-cup-is-paying-a-man-to-eat-pie-on-television-for-money/114058
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,761 posts | 3409 
      Reply #698: Mar 16, 2017 03:05:49 pm
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,046 posts | 1052 
      • Lazarus of LFC

Quick Reply