Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide

Read 311152 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Don't Buy The Sun - The Guide
      Reply #759: Feb 28, 2020 09:49:50 am
      I think we should drop him off in China with or without a parachute
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #760: Mar 16, 2020 06:03:37 pm
      How about don't give any air to cu*ts that write for the sun.F**k Brady.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #762: May 09, 2020 03:59:16 pm
      They said the sun never set on the British empire, let's hope the paper version is in its twilight years.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #763: Jun 07, 2020 10:36:28 pm
      sftexfan
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #764: Jul 05, 2020 07:45:21 am
      I am a member of the LFC Supporters and of the OLSC in San Francisco, CA,USA and I wasn't following soccer/football that closely in the time of Hillsborough but I have heard of it. Once I became a supporter of LFC, I have not read one article on The S*ns website and if I want to read something on the Reds I go to either the Premier League site, the Echo's site or various other websites that are out there but for the scum paper that not even worth to pick up my service dog excrement. RIP The 96 This 19th League Title is for You! To the Families and friends of the Victims, YNWA! May God bless each and every one of you. Thanks, GO Reds and YNWA Kopites ans Scousers!!!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #765: Jul 05, 2020 03:43:42 pm
      I am a member of the LFC Supporters and of the OLSC in San Francisco, CA,USA and I wasn't following soccer/football that closely in the time of Hillsborough but I have heard of it. Once I became a supporter of LFC, I have not read one article on The S*ns website and if I want to read something on the Reds I go to either the Premier League site, the Echo's site or various other websites that are out there but for the scum paper that not even worth to pick up my service dog excrement. RIP The 96 This 19th League Title is for You! To the Families and friends of the Victims, YNWA! May God bless each and every one of you. Thanks, GO Reds and YNWA Kopites ans Scousers!!!

Back in the pre-internet days for me always used to hide the sun at the paper shops here when i went to pick up 442 and When Saturday comes.One of the pluses of the death of print is i've no clue where you would find a British paper these days.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #766: Jul 22, 2020 12:58:47 pm
      Kitty
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 115 
      Reply #767: Aug 18, 2020 05:39:08 pm
      Aberdeen has now joined in calling for the boycott of The Sun!
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #768: Aug 19, 2020 01:11:46 am
      A couple of disclaimers: I've not read the thread, just the first page so I apologise if I make points made before. Also, I have never lived in Liverpool ( don't judge me, some of us choose the right path instead of being born on it! ) so this isn't as intensely personal to me as it will be to most of you.

Obviously, any decent person with a knowledge of what happened will be fully behind the boycott of that piece of sh*t publication. I think it should be acknowledged though, from a political standpoint, that other publications are its equal for manipulation and deceit. The Daily Mail might be worse because it aims slightly higher using the same propaganda tricks, so that people tend not to treat it immediately as a comic in the same way they do the tabloids. ( They're all tabloids now, you know what I mean.) There's very little to divide the tabloids morally, or in quality of journalism and they all have the same purpose: to divide the working class, and to distract us from organising on real issues that affect our daily lives. One time it was Liverpool they attacked, but the next ( and sustained over decades) it was black people, single mothers, recreational drug users, the unemployed, immigrants, gay people: any group of people who are made victims in the wider society, any group of people who can't fight back with a strong voice ( some of that now changing slightly) any group where a good portion of working people can be manipulated into hating other deprived groups instead of uniting against the real enemies of poverty and inequality.

See, I saw the filthy Murdoch assault not as an assault on LFC, but on the people of Liverpool who were the only ones in the country to give Thatcher a black eye, apart from the miners.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #769: Aug 19, 2020 11:41:19 am
      A couple of disclaimers: I've not read the thread, just the first page so I apologise if I make points made before. Also, I have never lived in Liverpool ( don't judge me, some of us choose the right path instead of being born on it! ) so this isn't as intensely personal to me as it will be to most of you.

Obviously, any decent person with a knowledge of what happened will be fully behind the boycott of that piece of sh*t publication. I think it should be acknowledged though, from a political standpoint, that other publications are its equal for manipulation and deceit. The Daily Mail might be worse because it aims slightly higher using the same propaganda tricks, so that people tend not to treat it immediately as a comic in the same way they do the tabloids. ( They're all tabloids now, you know what I mean.) There's very little to divide the tabloids morally, or in quality of journalism and they all have the same purpose: to divide the working class, and to distract us from organising on real issues that affect our daily lives. One time it was Liverpool they attacked, but the next ( and sustained over decades) it was black people, single mothers, recreational drug users, the unemployed, immigrants, gay people: any group of people who are made victims in the wider society, any group of people who can't fight back with a strong voice ( some of that now changing slightly) any group where a good portion of working people can be manipulated into hating other deprived groups instead of uniting against the real enemies of poverty and inequality.

See, I saw the filthy Murdoch assault not as an assault on LFC, but on the people of Liverpool who were the only ones in the country to give Thatcher a black eye, apart from the miners.

Sorry but are you suggesting that today's newspapers are openly racist and homophobic or are you suggesting that they were in the past?????

All papers will bias towards their readership, for example Telegraph, Daily Mail Tory, Independent (;D) and Guardian Labour, but as long as you factor in that bias what's the issue?

The Sun meanwhile is just utter trash, gutter nasty journalism.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #770: Aug 19, 2020 03:12:32 pm
      To clarify, the first thing I was trying to say was that the Murdoch attack was not an attack on LFC, but on the people of Liverpool. They might be Everton fans, they might not be football fans at all. It was all about degrading and dehumanising the people of Liverpool for daring to stand up to neo liberalism in the form of Militant Labour. Propaganda in its crudest form.

Secondly, that the media is all the same. It's all the same because it is owned and run by big business, so only supports the interests of big business. The great Paul Foot wrote for The Mirror in the early 90's, but did he represent the editorial tone of that publication? Of course not, it was tokenistic, as it was when he wrote for The Guardian later on. The BBC is slightly different because it is publicly funded, but the people who have power there are very carefully chosen. They've all been to the same public schools where it is quickly ingrained there are certain things as Orwell said " it would not do to say." They also get vetted by MI5. People with unsuitable political opinions do not rise to positions of influence. The Guardian again is a bit different. It is there to suggest we live in a vibrant, healthy democracy with energetic debate. But it is debate within a very narrow spectrum, The Guardian exists to draw the line: This far and no further. Try and find in The Guardian references to the second Iraq war that state it was a war of aggression. ( I mean in the leaders and editorials, not the occasional opinion pieces.) I bet you could find less than 1% of content does that. If it was a free publication 100% of references would do that, because it is fact not opinion.

More explanation here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjENnyQupow
      For those with more time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuwmWnphqII
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #771: Aug 19, 2020 04:58:00 pm

Always thought of The Mail as something Sun readers progress to once they've retired / paid off their mortgage / learnt how to spell
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #772: Aug 22, 2020 12:01:37 pm
      Sorry but are you suggesting that today's newspapers are openly racist and homophobic or are you suggesting that they were in the past?????

He's not far wrong with the press, for everything we call the s*n, the mail was infinitely worse with it's attacks on the city of Liverpool. It's them that coined the phrase self-pity city after the murder of James Bulger.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #773: Aug 22, 2020 12:27:50 pm
      He's not far wrong with the press, for everything we call the s*n, the mail was infinitely worse with it's attacks on the city of Liverpool. It's them that coined the phrase self-pity city after the murder of James Bulger.

Disgraceful as that of course is, how is it racist or homophobic?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #774: Aug 22, 2020 12:31:43 pm
      Disgraceful as that of course is, how is it racist or homophobic?

Why would you like to defend the mail?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #775: Aug 22, 2020 12:35:15 pm
      Why would you like to defend the mail?

How am I defending anything? I'm simply asking for clarification of your argument/charge?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #776: Aug 22, 2020 01:16:28 pm
      How am I defending anything? I'm simply asking for clarification of your argument/charge?

Try reading the pieces of the time then!

Same c**t who penned the piece "self pity city" in the mail was the same f**ker who penned the piece that was edited by Boris in the spectator!! Simon F***ing Heffer.

A lot of the hatred in the 90s regarding the usual jibes from others to scousers came from that mail piece.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #778: Aug 22, 2020 09:33:18 pm
      Try reading the pieces of the time then!

Same c**t who penned the piece "self pity city" in the mail was the same f**ker who penned the piece that was edited by Boris in the spectator!! Simon f**king Heffer.

A lot of the hatred in the 90s regarding the usual jibes from others to scousers came from that mail piece.

OK but how is it racist or homophobic, that's still my question which you are still to address.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #779: Aug 23, 2020 05:28:16 pm
      OK but how is it racist or homophobic, that's still my question which you are still to address.

I don't need to, have you ever tried reading them?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #780: Aug 25, 2020 10:51:09 am
      I don't need to, have you ever tried reading them?

You do need to if you want to back up your point, otherwise most people might think you are just talking sh*te, again!.

Just to clarify I am in no way disputing that the tabloids are horrible and disgusting, I am just disputing that any major publication is openly racist or homophobic these days, a claim you made which you are unwilling or unable to back up.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #781: Aug 25, 2020 11:20:52 am
      You do need to if you want to back up your point, otherwise most people might think you are just talking sh*te, again!.

Just to clarify I am in no way disputing that the tabloids are horrible and disgusting, I am just disputing that any major publication is openly racist or homophobic these days, a claim you made which you are unwilling or unable to back up.
      Katie Hopkins had an article published in The Sun only a couple of years ago where she compared refugees crossing the channel to cockroaches and urged the government to send in gunships to kill them. I'd say that was pretty openly racist

Quick Reply