Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Alberto Aquilani Player Thread

Read 490442 times
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Re: Alberto Aquilani Playerio Threadio
      Reply #1472: Feb 25, 2010 07:51:41 am
      I still think we should give him some more time before judging him.
      Agreed that he hasn't exactly been a good signing until now, but don't forget that he has had very very less playing time since last one year or so.
      Matches like today's against Unirea are I think perfect opportunities to play him and for him to show his worth.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1473: Feb 25, 2010 11:08:34 am
      Aquilani is one goal away from becoming very settled here. I think once he gets a goal and reassures himself, we shall be seeing a more classier of a player than the glimpses we have seen. If he gets a goal, he'll be much much more inventive. I think right now, some passes that he sees he's a bit tentative of trying them for he wants to maintain some confidence with 100% ball. But once, he's feeling comfortable in losing the ball one or two times, he's going to explode with some real cutting edge stuff. Then the likes of Carrick will just have to watch and learn. Look at Aquilani and Zidane, to be honest their playing style looks very a like, especially the composure on the ball.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1474: Feb 25, 2010 01:51:10 pm
      In fairness that comparsion is a bit much Zidane and Aquilani. Zidane was a dribbler with memizing close control. He was physically very strong and rarely gave the ball away. He was the best player of a generation. I don't there styles are anyway similar and don't think Aquilani deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1475: Feb 25, 2010 02:54:22 pm
      Right now I think there is a stronger argument to have Pacheco in the team than Aquilani. Hopefully he stays and fulfills his potential next year but as for the games we have now Id rather have Lucas or Pacheco in the team depending on the opposition
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #1476: Feb 25, 2010 04:47:40 pm
      In fairness that comparsion is a bit much Zidane and Aquilani. Zidane was a dribbler with memizing close control. He was physically very strong and rarely gave the ball away. He was the best player of a generation. I don't there styles are anyway similar and don't think Aquilani deserves to be mentioned in the same breath.

I know he was, but I am composing from the point of composure. Well I am not sure whether or not he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath, all I am saying. They play the game alike, Aquilani composure resembles Zidane's. In no way I am saying they are the same, I am just saying he's that kind of a player, one the can settle on the pitch and direct the play. I don't think Aquilani gave the ball away as much in Seria A, but that's a slower league. With time I do expect him to grasps to the pace of the game here.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1477: Feb 25, 2010 04:51:30 pm
      Haven't seen Aquilani go past a player yet, Zidane was a master of this even though he wasn't that quick, no way should they mentioned in the same breath Zidane is one of the best of all time, thats like saying Riera reminds you of Maradona because they both use there left legs.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      Reply #1478: Feb 25, 2010 05:10:32 pm
      I understand where you are coming from, but then again its a matter of what we expect from him and what he's currently showing. It's a matter of perspective really, I know where you are coming and I respect it. But I believe once he has the confidence he'll push on to become that type of player. This may happen or it wont in any case I think using Zidane was a bit too much for real, nevertheless, class is class.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1479: Feb 25, 2010 08:18:23 pm
      Looks like the injury isn't going to clear up.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him back under the knife in the summer.

A real shame.  The whole Alonso affair leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.  Did we panic buy because of the impending closing transfer window?

Who knows?

I've seen glimpses of some talent from the lad but I think this season is going to be a write off for him.  Just hope it isn't a career ending injury.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1480: Feb 25, 2010 08:26:04 pm
      The thing that sickens me most is when you look how well Wesley Sneider has done at Inter, he has been the best player in Seria A this season and Inter paid Real what £18 million surely we could have tied him into the Alonso deal.

A lot of people on here were saying at the time Sneider would have been a good signing and looking at the season in a whole, would Sneider have been a better signing than Aquilani I think it is an easy answer.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1481: Feb 25, 2010 08:30:50 pm
      The thing that sickens me most is when you look how well Wesley Sneider has done at Inter, he has been the best player in Seria A this season and Inter paid Real what £18 million surely we could have tied him into the Alonso deal.

A lot of people on here were saying at the time Sneider would have been a good signing and looking at the season in a whole, would Sneider have been a better signing than Aquilani I think it is an easy answer.

I think there are a handful of really quality players we could of gone for instead of Aquilani. Flamini, Moutinho, Veloso and Sneijder for example.

Even could of gone for a real quality attacking midfielder like Silva to play behind Torres and drop Gerrard back.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1482: Feb 25, 2010 09:35:11 pm

I thought Sneider knocked us back to go to Inter?

I think there are a handful of really quality players we could of gone for instead of Aquilani. Flamini, Moutinho, Veloso and Sneijder for example.

Even could of gone for a real quality attacking midfielder like Silva to play behind Torres and drop Gerrard back.

Very easy naming names but we can only buy players who want to come and will accept the wages that Hicks and Gillett deem appropriate.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1483: Feb 25, 2010 10:18:32 pm
      Yeah very true.

Is why i named a few that would jump at the chance to join our club, as Moutinho and Veloso are in Portugal and many have moved to England from Sporting.

Flamini is not even playing for Milan.

Sneijder was forced out of Madrid.

I thought Sneider knocked us back to go to Inter?

Never knew we went in for him? Talk of a swap deal but Rafa wanted money ???
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #1484: Feb 25, 2010 10:22:09 pm
      Am I missing something here?

Did Alberto come off injured tonight or something?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1485: Feb 25, 2010 10:28:40 pm
      Am I missing something here?

Did Alberto come off injured tonight or something?

Stayed on the bench. What's confusing you, Ross?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #1486: Feb 25, 2010 10:30:17 pm
      Just wondering why everyone's going on about him and injuries after the match - thought something might've happened.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1487: Feb 25, 2010 10:32:02 pm
      Did'nt he miss the last game due to illness? I'm losing track.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1488: Feb 25, 2010 10:33:04 pm
      Just wondering why everyone's going on about him and injuries after the match - thought something might've happened.

People aren't happy about him not playing, while some (myself) are pointing to his injury as the reason why he didn't play because the pitch was a shocker. Easy to roll an ankle on it.

Did'nt he miss the last game due to illness? I'm losing track.

He did. Same thing that Skrtel had.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1489: Feb 25, 2010 10:34:33 pm
      Maybe he didn't feel well enough to play tonight or maybe he got a splinter?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #1490: Feb 25, 2010 10:34:50 pm
      I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

We do indeed seem to be very cautious over the lad.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1491: Feb 25, 2010 10:38:59 pm
      If anyone is wondering what the deliveries at Melwood are over the next few days. Have no fear, I have inside information.

Specifically for Aquilani.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1492: Feb 25, 2010 10:40:30 pm
      Maybe he didn't feel well enough to play tonight or maybe he got a splinter?

Nah, just had a really bad runny nose. It's the only thing of his that'll be running this season.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #1493: Feb 25, 2010 11:34:26 pm

I believe the £18 million were paid all at once, whereas we only gave Roma an initial 5 for Alberto.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1494: Feb 26, 2010 03:09:49 am
      I really wanted to see him play last night but the pitch was horrendous.

totti imita aquilani...roma

Always makes me laugh this video.

Quick Reply