Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Alberto Aquilani Player Thread

Read 491830 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Alberto Aquilani Player Thread
      Reply #3772: Jul 29, 2012 02:39:48 am
      If we do bring in Joe Allen, in which we've obviously been trying to do, I imagine we will sell another midfielder, and Aquliani would unfortunately be likely to be a leading candidate for any departure.

I personally think we should keep Aquliani because he is a quality player, and that he can be a first team player for us. He gives us the creativity, and he will excel in the possession passing game that we aim to play. Alberto's one touch football is as good as anyone's at the club.

Also if we cannot demand anyone than 5 million for him, there's absolutely no point selling. He can contribute a lot to Liverpool, and is a better offensive midfielder than anyone in our squad, with Gerrard being the exception. 

We need to sell players who cannot adept their game to our style, or players who lack the quality we demand. Not just look at the financial benefits, nor the wage bill because Aquliani is worth the extra money in comparison to Adam, or even Allen who'd cost a lot of money to bring here.

I know Aquliani's wages would be more than Allen's or Adam's but we cannot find every possible way of reducing the wage bill to make the owners happy. It would mean that we are purposely weakening the squad if we're removing quality players who are on higher wages.

Spend the money we have available on Allen and spend it on more important positions, such as a winger. Keep Aquliani, who I regard as a better player anyway.

Sure, Aquliani won't be here for the next 5 years, but Aquliani can be a key player for us in the next year or two, until his inevitable departure (whenever that may be). For now, spend the money, which is rumoured to be limited, on players and positions we desperate lack in.

Although, I'd put money down that Aquliani will be leaving towards he end of the transfer window, while we're most likely bring Allen in. Allen is a very fine player, and has the potential to become world class. He just needs to find that attacking edge to his game, find that defensive splitting passing. Plays too many sidewards passes, which does help keep the game flowing, and possession ticking over, doesn't give us the penertrarion, or the creativity we need from our midfielders.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3773: Jul 29, 2012 08:01:17 am
      If we do bring in Joe Allen, in which we've obviously been trying to do, I imagine we will sell another midfielder, and Aquliani would unfortunately be likely to be a leading candidate for any departure.

I personally think we should keep Aquliani because he is a quality player, and that he can be a first team player for us. He gives us the creativity, and he will excel in the possession passing game that we aim to play. Alberto's one touch football is as good as anyone's at the club.

Also if we cannot demand anyone than 5 million for him, there's absolutely no point selling. He can contribute a lot to Liverpool, and is a better offensive midfielder than anyone in our squad, with Gerrard being the exception. 

We need to sell players who cannot adept their game to our style, or players who lack the quality we demand. Not just look at the financial benefits, nor the wage bill because Aquliani is worth the extra money in comparison to Adam, or even Allen who'd cost a lot of money to bring here.

I know Aquliani's wages would be more than Allen's or Adam's but we cannot find every possible way of reducing the wage bill to make the owners happy. It would mean that we are purposely weakening the squad if we're removing quality players who are on higher wages.

Spend the money we have available on Allen and spend it on more important positions, such as a winger. Keep Aquliani, who I regard as a better player anyway.

Sure, Aquliani won't be here for the next 5 years, but Aquliani can be a key player for us in the next year or two, until his inevitable departure (whenever that may be). For now, spend the money, which is rumoured to be limited, on players and positions we desperate lack in.

Although, I'd put money down that Aquliani will be leaving towards he end of the transfer window, while we're most likely bring Allen in. Allen is a very fine player, and has the potential to become world class. He just needs to find that attacking edge to his game, find that defensive splitting passing. Plays too many sidewards passes, which does help keep the game flowing, and possession ticking over, doesn't give us the penertrarion, or the creativity we need from our midfielders.

If Aquilani is so good why do you think he will leave? Surely it would be cheaper to keep Aquilani even with his higher wages, than to pay a transfer fee and wages for Allen or an equivolent replacement?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3774: Jul 29, 2012 08:22:14 am
      Hopefully it's true , first I win £20 quid in the sweepstake because I picked Fiorentina , and finally we can get past the myth that is Aquilani and his wonderful ability. Freeing up the wages to bring in Allen is good news.

The problem - its The People paper.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #3775: Jul 29, 2012 08:38:56 am

Not forgetting Tom our shortage of midfield quality was a major part of our demise last season, I personally have always viewed Aquilani in the quality reserve mode, how many times could we have used that dimension in the last term?
      Whether you agree or not the fact that he can play a bit when fully fit is reason enough to keep him.
      Getting shut ''to reduce the wage bill'' makes no sense at all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3776: Jul 29, 2012 08:52:10 am

I think most people no matter which side of the Aquilani line they fall can agree with you wholeheartedly on that statement mate.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3777: Jul 29, 2012 11:43:37 am
      End of the day it matters not what we think, if he doesn't feature in Rodgers plans, he won't be here, if he does he will, all we can do is wait and see what happens and get behind what ever decision is made.

How much have we trimmed off the wage bill so far this summer with Kuyt and Maxi ?

Think the Borini capture shows we'll be off loading older players on higher wages and replacing them with younger players on less wages.

I just hope what ever reductions we are making leaves enough on the wage bill to accomodate atleast one player in the Suarez mould of class.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3778: Jul 29, 2012 11:51:30 am
      This could be more to do with getting value for the wages.

If Aquilani was on say 40grand a week instead of 80plus then you could possibly see the club being ok with that sort of money being given to someone who won't be first choice week in week out. 80 grand a week is a lot of money to give to someone to be a squad player. No value there at all.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3779: Jul 29, 2012 12:05:40 pm
      Not forgetting Tom our shortage of midfield quality was a major part of our demise last season, I personally have always viewed Aquilani in the quality reserve mode, how many times could we have used that dimension in the last term?
      Whether you agree or not the fact that he can play a bit when fully fit is reason enough to keep him.

We have 7 central midfielders on our books at the moment, if we sign Allen that'll be 8. I don't think we'll have 8 players for 3 positions, I agree with need strength in depth, but I think a player will be sold. Aquliani is better than any of our attacking midfielders, other than Gerrard, but I would imagine he'd be favourite to be sold.

There's been talk we're trying to reduce the wage bill, and if that were true Aquliani would likely to be sold because he's on large wages.

If we do get shut, it just isn't financial reasons, there's is a lot of debate about whether he actually wants to play for Liverpool, but if we judge him on ability, then he is be one of our best players.
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Reply #3780: Jul 30, 2012 03:30:00 am
      Have to agree there, he is quality, and we always seem to transfer quality out and bring mediocrity in.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #3781: Aug 03, 2012 03:16:32 pm
      Said this in the transfer thread:

Good player, but probably the wrong one to buy at the time in retrospect. I guess that's what happens when you're in debt and you have to buy from clubs that still owe you money. Still think he would have been useful the past two seasons bringing creativity, but we'll never know why it never worked out here. He probably never wanted to leave Roma to begin with, but they were in financial trouble as well at the time. Probably the strangest transfer in  this club's history from beginning to end.

Shame it never worked out, but at least we have a conclusion to this saga.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #3782: Aug 03, 2012 03:19:12 pm
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3783: Aug 03, 2012 03:27:10 pm
      Is this confirm?
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #3784: Aug 03, 2012 03:28:45 pm
       LFC confirm Aquilani transfer
      Liverpool Football Club can today confirm that Alberto Aquilani has completed a permanent transfer to Serie A side Fiorentina.

The Italian midfielder joined Liverpool in 2009 but made just 28 first-team appearances having spent the last two seasons on loan in his homeland.

Everyone at the club would like to wish Alberto all the best for the future.

Author: @JimmyRiceWriter

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-confirm-aquilani-transfer?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Re: Alberto Aquilani (-> Fiorentina)
      Reply #3785: Aug 03, 2012 03:38:19 pm
      Not staying and fighting for his place? Glad he is gone spend the money on someone better
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #3786: Aug 03, 2012 03:44:38 pm
      Step up Joe Allen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #3787: Aug 03, 2012 03:48:12 pm

Or Jonjo Shelvey!!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #3788: Aug 03, 2012 03:53:41 pm
      As I said earlier, I am glad the situation is dealt with. He is a talented footballer but it hasn't worked. If it was going to work, it would under Brendan. To me he was half arsed being here. I would rather not have a half arsed player here on £125,000 a week.

Best of luck to him. Nothing against him. A great footballer who just waned to be in Italy.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #3789: Aug 03, 2012 04:16:21 pm
      And at last this whole saga comes to an end. Phew. I bet Aquilani's just as relieved as we all are. Can't have been easy for him.

Best of luck Alberto at Fiorentina.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #3790: Aug 03, 2012 05:09:55 pm
      Alberto Aquilani, You sir are a quality player.

Best of luck for the future.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3791: Aug 03, 2012 05:16:50 pm
      Gone?

Relieved, because I'm sick of reading all the negative stuff that surrounded his time with us.

Can someone please confirm that we will no longer be paying him any wages, permanent transfer or not! :D
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3792: Aug 03, 2012 05:33:33 pm
      When do you think his testimonial will be ?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3793: Aug 03, 2012 05:37:50 pm
      When do you think his testimonial will be ?

As soon as his agent can get it arranged, if you look closely at this definition! :D

World English Dictionary
      testimonial  (ËŒtÉ›stɪˈməʊnɪəl)

— n
      1.    a. a recommendation of the character, ability, etc, of a person or of the quality of a consumer product or service, esp by a person whose opinion is valued
          b. ( as modifier ): testimonial advertising
      2.    a formal statement of truth or fact
      3.    a tribute given for services or achievements
      4.    a sports match to raise money for a particular player

We clearly haven't paid him enough! :lmao:
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3794: Aug 03, 2012 05:40:23 pm
      :laugh: