Alberto Aquilani interview Liverpool FC
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Alberto Aquilani Playerio Threadio
      Reply #1496: Feb 27, 2010 08:57:22 am
      SUPPORT RAFA - SEND THIS TO THE GAFFA:

-------------cut here------------------------------------------------------------------

Your very own "cut out and keep" list of reasons to excuse Alberto not playing, from the start, in any given game:

* The pitch was too soft. (He might have hurt himself).

* The pitch was too firm. (He might have hurt himself).

* They (insert team name here) are too physical. (He might have hurt himself).

* We need to play with two defensive, holding midfielders against the 'big' teams. Especially (insert team name here).

* He had a Virus.

* He was just back after having a Virus.

* He had a Cold.

* He was just back after having a Cold.

---------- cut here ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>:D

We are only kidding ourselves here. If Rafa doesn't 'fancy' him, fair enough; if, at 20 million euros, he believes he's bought a pig in a poke, fair enough. As fans tho' we shouldn't really be searching, every week, for reasons to excuse Rafa for not playing Alberto.  

By the way; the lad has only played, from the start, in four Premier League matches. We won all four. We kept a clean sheet in all four.  ;)

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010 11:06:08 am by bad boy bubby »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1497: Feb 27, 2010 12:32:07 pm
      Fair enough you think that BBB but did you see that pitch?

He's been excused from the game v Everton for obvious reasons, Arsenal and City because as has been the case he has started with Lucas and Masch like he has done all season and Aquilani lost us the midfield battle in the first game this season with Arsenal because he was wandering about.

He has always stated he is a quality player, but he would take utmost care with him. Repeatedly playing him has only made him worse. Hes learning from Roma's mistakes.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1498: Feb 27, 2010 02:06:55 pm
      I think dat Aquilani should always start instead of Lucas coz Aquilani is more attacking. I know Lucas provides stability in midfield but Aquilani gives us dat attacking edge and can score goals. he is a goal threat while all Lucas seems to do is pass the ball sideways. Lucas has defo improved but I tink aquilani will be great if he gets enuf game time.

No text speak please.

Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #1499: Feb 28, 2010 08:53:52 pm
      Looks like the injury isn't going to clear up.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him back under the knife in the summer.

A real shame.  The whole Alonso affair leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.  Did we panic buy because of the impending closing transfer window?

Who knows?

I've seen glimpses of some talent from the lad but I think this season is going to be a write off for him.  Just hope it isn't a career ending injury.

I'm absolutely confused.

Is he injured or does Rafa not think he's good enough for the starting XI?  If he's fit, we really need to start playing him consistently - Lucas's days are definitely numbered when Rafa eventually throws him in.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #1500: Mar 01, 2010 09:36:47 am
      Lucas was decent yesterday TBH, but Hell, we need Aquilani starting games cos he adds that unpredictability in liverpool's play where as one can guess even before the ball has reached lucas where he's gonna pass it, or give it away... :/

Reinforces the fact that Rafa is an idiot in the transfer window, for this is the 2nd time in as many years that he has splashed the cash on players without giving them opportunities to prove themselves. What was the point on splashing 20 million on him when he never did intend to give him a decent run. What ever happens this season, I'd rather see Rafa go this summer than Aquilani.
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Reply #1501: Mar 01, 2010 08:06:50 pm
      I can understand there're few reasons behind Aquilani being left out from the starting match.

1) Competition- We can't afford to slip up in the midfield(allow opposition to counter-attack) and lose all points. No matter how some of us rated Lucas, he does provide us some stability in Midfield, albeit sideway passing/lacked of creativity. Aquilani may be more direct and adventurous or creative, but we have to let him slowly grow in confidence instead of starting him and start losing, then everyone will start giving him hard time which will damper his confidence much further(especially for someone who're trying to adapt to a new league and style of football) .  

2- Health- some of the games being played at high tempo and very physical. We can't risk him getting injured again and lose him for another few months.

3- Financial- There're clauses in the contract(as someone posted on some other thread, the real figure of the deal- that was issued by Roma for their shareholders) that stated we have to pay Roma 250,000 for every 35 matches that he played. So, if we want to use him, it is better to use him when he can contribute and in a match that he can contribute- at his full capacity(health & performance)  

Obviously, Lucas is currently functioning as a stop gap at this moment(a competent one from my point of view) before we get to see real Aquilani, performing at his full potential(or reputation).

TBH 20millions may sounds a lot.... but if you have 5-6million made available every 6 months and those good players in the range of 12-15million only available on 'Cash' term, then a 3-4months to recovery, good midfielder with 20millions in 5 instalments sounds reasonable.... EXCEPT it didn't go according to plan when those 3-4months turned into 6-7months and what make us look desperate is when we lost few matches in the first few months (and he wasn't available to help our plight), hence the blame on 'LUCAS'.

Don't forget,  this buy was done after Xabi handed the transfer request, weeks before the start of the season when most good players already taken up.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 08:32:31 pm by kookkai »
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #1502: Mar 01, 2010 08:17:41 pm
      Should play some part against Wigan.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1503: Mar 01, 2010 08:22:25 pm
      Should play some part against Wigan.

Think he still has a mark from where he got a splinter.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1504: Mar 04, 2010 11:49:48 am
      Isn't he now officially an 11 million pound striker
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1505: Mar 04, 2010 03:21:04 pm
      Aquilani hasn't a hope of making the Italian squad for the World Cup he needed regular football before now.
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #1506: Mar 06, 2010 11:20:24 am
      Aquilani hasn't a hope of making the Italian squad for the World Cup he needed regular football before now.

Agree but hopefully he can improve before t he end of the season and you never know they might add him
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #1507: Mar 06, 2010 12:45:02 pm
      Reckon he'll play vs Wigan :)
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1508: Mar 06, 2010 01:52:49 pm
      Whatever way you look at it.....an expsensive gamble which hasnt paid off.

What I've seen of him, he will never play centre midfield under Rafa. He's far too lightweight and therefore the only posistion I think he will fit in is behind Torres.

Early days, yes but I'm not convinced by any means he will turn out to be a good signing for us.
      flameswaveswords
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #1509: Mar 06, 2010 07:36:23 pm
      seems to be true. complete disappontment. did he play at least one game for 90minutes?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1510: Mar 06, 2010 10:25:53 pm
      Whatever way you look at it.....an expsensive gamble which hasnt paid off.

I wouldn't say he was an expensive buy, we only paid around £4M up front, the rest is to be done in various installments, never know, if he is to leave in the summer then we wouldn't have paid hardly anything for him.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #1511: Mar 07, 2010 01:25:28 pm
      I wouldn't say he was an expensive buy, we only paid around £4M up front, the rest is to be done in various installments, never know, if he is to leave in the summer then we wouldn't have paid hardly anything for him.

Yeah we would have paid hardly anything and we'd have got hardly anything out of him.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1512: Mar 07, 2010 03:55:55 pm
      Sorry, didnt realise that, thought the down payment was something like 12m.

Either way hope he proves me wrong and best of luck to the lad getting a good run of fitness.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #1513: Mar 08, 2010 04:34:21 am
      Rafa on Alberto.

The Liverpool manager has explained his predicament to the 25-year-old, who has started only seven games since his arrival from Roma and completed 90 minutes only once, and says the midfielder accepts that a top-four finish takes precedence over personal trials.

Benítez said: "When you have been injured for a while it's not easy for a player. Then, when you are available and the team isn't doing well, it makes it even more difficult. You have to decide if you can afford to give him two or three games when you know he's maybe not at the level he could be, so you could end up losing some of them.

"Alberto isn't stupid. He knows the priority now has to be the team and what's best for that. All he can do is keep training and make sure he is ready when we need him. But as I said, the most important thing we have to think of is the team, not one player."

He added: "When I didn't play Alberto at Wolves it wasn't to do with the state of their pitch, it was because of the kind of game and because others were available, which meant we could manage in a different way. So whether I play him at Wigan or not isn't a decision that will be determined by the pitch.

"But we have had a conversation about things and he knows the situation. Alberto is a very good professional, who was a big name in Italy and wants to show his quality here. When you're like that but cannot play for three or four months and then you're available but can't play because the team is maybe doing really well or has problems, it's a difficult situation for any professional."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/07/liverpool-alberto-aquilani-rafael-benitez?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1514: Mar 08, 2010 03:24:58 pm

Hopefully he wont go to the world cup and he can be 100% for the start of next season
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1515: Mar 08, 2010 03:29:14 pm
      The pitch at Wigan for the past few weeks has been a monstrosity. I don't expect Aquilani to start.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1516: Mar 08, 2010 03:43:29 pm
      If I was truly cynical, I'd say his not starting that many games is probably so we could save ourselves not having to pay more in instalments, especially if there is any clauses surrounding the number of appearances he makes.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #1517: Mar 08, 2010 04:41:49 pm
      The pitch at Wigan for the past few weeks has been a monstrosity. I don't expect Aquilani to start.

They've just layed a new pitch, tonight is the first time it'll be played on. :)

Quick Reply