Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

American Jozy Altidore coming to EPL.

Read 2204 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      American Jozy Altidore coming to EPL.
      Aug 05, 2009 07:36:44 pm
      It looks like Altidore is going to Hull City for the 09/10 Season.

I think that is a great move on Hull's part.  Altidore is a STUD.  It was only a matter of time. I think Altidore could be the first "World Class" player the U.S has produced so far. He was getting a lot of looks from Everton and Aston Villa. He played w/ Villareal last season. Not much but enough to get some looks. A lot of teams held off on pursuing him until they watched him in the Confederations Cup. He played fantastic in that tournament.

He's 18, has good size, great striker, speed, good field vision, great passer.  I dont know how Hull pulled it off but they got a hell of a player.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 06:00:42 am by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: American Jozy Altidore coming to EPL.
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2009 09:35:55 pm
      Yeah, saw him in the Confed Cup in June and he seemed like a decent player. Bloody young still to! Look forward to seeing how he goes.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #2: Aug 07, 2009 12:09:15 am
      I hope he does well. He's a good kid too. I heard him in Interviews and he has a good head on his shoulders, smart. He doesn't have an attitude or cocky aura about him.  I would of liked LFC to get him but I'm glad he got his shot. He deserves it.

The best Americans playing in Europe are usually goalies.  Its good to see a legit goal scorer with a chance to make a name for himself.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #3: Aug 07, 2009 12:18:50 am
      He's only on loan to Hull. He is still a Villareal player, good move by Villareal, if he plays well in the EPL then surely they could have hot property on their hands, if he doesn't then it dont neccessarily mean he cant cut it in Spain.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Aug 07, 2009 12:22:36 am
      Good buy for Hull
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Aug 07, 2009 12:43:40 am

He's 20 in November mate. I'm just being picky aren't I ;).
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #6: Aug 07, 2009 01:10:36 am
      He will be a good addition for Hull looked a bright prospect in the confeds cup.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #7: Aug 07, 2009 03:31:42 am
      He's 20 in November mate. I'm just being picky aren't I ;).
      Sorry, my bad. I thought he was 18 going on 19..Still,he's young and talented.  I'm really hoping he works out.  I saw him play in person once at a club level match. He was 15-16 and was playing against 20-25 y/o MLS stars, and just schooled them all over the pitch. 

If this kid stays healthy and gets some good time in Hull and EPL experience. He could move up to a full time spot in the EPL.  Without any Issues from Villareal.  Any kid who's good in the States, wants to go to England. Great American players dont want a career in the MLS.

MLS talent level is the same as League One in England. Maybe 20 percent of players could play in EPL. Of those the majority are goalies and then maybe 3-5 players could start on lower tier EPL teams.

Altidore, is the only exception with true EPL skills. If the Injuries can be kept to a minimum. He could be a full time starter on a top tier squad.

I know 90% of the people on here may think I'm nuts. I know their is a strong stereotype against American players in England. But I watch plenty of EPL and MLS. He is so far and above the MLS players its embarrasing.  Is he a Gerrard, Torres, Drogba or Ronaldo? NO, could he be? Maybe,  With good training academy and some reserve training in England. I think he will.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #8: Aug 07, 2009 06:14:19 am
      I always believed he left the MLS a year too early and was shocked that the league would be so quick to sell off a future star. He played one full season with NYRB and didn't even crack double digits in goals though I do believe a move the Premiership is much better and much suited to his style of play and what he brings to the team rather than La Liga.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #9: Aug 07, 2009 06:30:34 am
      Seen him many times. Rough diamond and young enough and physically built enough where he could do well over here. Good player. Hope he does well @ hull. America needs a quality striker to prove themselves in the EPL. McBride was good and dempsey is.  better deeper. Also eddie johnson at fulham needs a few starts and a bit of trust from hodgeson...can be a handfull for defenders
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #10: Aug 08, 2009 01:51:22 am
      The problem with the MLS is it doesn't have anywhere near the quality of play like EPL, La Liga or Serie A.  When the US had the World Cup their was a huge influx of money into youth programs and youth players anywhere from 6-12 years old.  Were only now beginning to see the payoffs.  A lot of those kids had been given world class coaching at camps and clinics. I think w/in the next 5-10 years we'll see a lot of American players getting big contracts and some world class status.

Altidore is probably just the beginning. I think a superstar American player, playing in the EPL could be a great thing.  If we had a "Beckham" like American player it would be huge. I really hope he does good at Hull.

I noticed that their are more and more people who watch European Football. I see young kids wearing Liverpool, Chelsea, Man. U, Celtic, Rangers, Real Madrid jerseys and hats. Its great. I dont feel like such an outcast anymore.

JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #11: Aug 08, 2009 11:18:54 am
      Seen him many times. Rough diamond and young enough and physically built enough where he could do well over here. Good player. Hope he does well @ hull. America needs a quality striker to prove themselves in the EPL. McBride was good and dempsey is.  better deeper. Also eddie johnson at fulham needs a few starts and a bit of trust from hodgeson...can be a handfull for defenders

Eddie Johnson scored just 2 goals in 30 appearances for Cardiff on loan last season. In the Championship. Not a good enough return for a PL club.
      Especially considering how much they spent on him.

I think Altidore will struggle in the PL. Too young IMO.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Aug 08, 2009 04:07:58 pm
      Bright young player with the strength to be fine in the BPL. Might be too young but he can do it. Hopefully he sees enough time
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #13: Aug 08, 2009 05:53:55 pm
      Eddie Johnson scored just 2 goals in 30 appearances for Cardiff on loan last season. In the Championship. Not a good enough return for a PL club.

This is true. At city last year they were selling clothes sayong " I saw Eddie Score!".
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Aug 09, 2009 01:58:20 pm
      This is true. At city last year they were selling clothes sayong " I saw Eddie Score!".

Haha, true story
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 11, 2009 09:03:22 pm
      I remember Emile Heskey when I see him. Mind you, I saw him twice only. He looks really athletics for a striker, quick and with a lot of body strength to be a target man. I don't know if he can head the ball well though. I don't remember if I have seen him hitting targets with his headings.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #16: Aug 11, 2009 10:29:02 pm

Eddie Johnson was just fast pace, really poor man Cisse. Jozy has more ability and more to offer than Johnson ever did.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2009 08:03:31 pm

Does that mean something different in Yanksville U.S.A.?  ;D
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 15, 2009 06:38:54 pm
      The deal looks perfect for both Hull and Villareal. Hull get a strong striker for a season...if he bombs, they release him but if he's a success, they've got first choice. Villareal get the opportunity to put Altidore in the shop window following his performances in the Confederations Cup...if he's a success, they can either use him or cash him on in.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #19: Aug 15, 2009 07:18:14 pm
      I don't believe he even made the bench for Hull today
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Aug 16, 2009 01:09:28 pm
      He didn't. Anyone know why? Brown's option or other reason?

Quick Reply