Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Prematch: Tottenham v Liverpool (Premiership) [16/8/09 - 16:00 kick off]

Read 26799 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Prematch: Tottenham v Liverpool (Premiership) [16/8/09 - 16:00 kick off]
      Reply #253: Aug 16, 2009 10:38:17 am
      Come on you Red men  !   3pts and 3 goals is my prediction, 3-1 to us and a perfect start !

+ the minute applause for Sir Bobby (RIP)

Is the minute applause not 15.59 rather than at 16.00 just a minor point but I'm curious !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #254: Aug 16, 2009 10:41:39 am
      Come on the reds!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #255: Aug 16, 2009 10:42:31 am
      I'm so pumped for this one (last season's phrase brought into use there! :D)

It's going to be a tough game, it always is on the opening day (unless you play a sh*t team like Arsenal did yesterday ;)) so I'll be happy with any win to be honest. With Skrtel expected to partner Carra I think we will keep a clean sheet. If Gerrard and Torres are on song it will be a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win and even if they aren't performing to their best someone will step up and we will nick the points.

Come on you Reds!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #256: Aug 16, 2009 10:42:48 am
      IMO, I think it's good to have a team like Tottenham on our opening day. Remember when we had new promoted Sheffield United in 2006/2007? We drew :S

At least the lads won't sit down for the most of the game and don't take it too lightly. Come on, Reds! Get 3 points( and if you can, win by 6 goals!).
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #257: Aug 16, 2009 10:43:58 am
      Liverpool Football Club never accept anything other than three points. We've gotta go full throttle from the off to let them know they're dealing with the real deal here.

If we go there and look for a draw then already we're conceding two points. Sod that, all out for the win and show, not only Spurs, but the entire league that we're in another title chase until the end. Arsenal have gone and won a tricky away game, as have Man City and Wigan won the toughest match of the day, though the Latics shouldn't be anywhere near the top four. So we can't afford to go to a difficult away game and just settle for a point.

Right at them and get the early goal. Take the sting out the match and hopefully get another just before the break. And the second half will give us more space as they'll be coming at us looking for the goals.

Their defence is threadbare, their midfield is very attack minded. We can get right into them if we attack. The front four, which every four Rafa goes with, are the key tomorrow. Attack, attack, attack as the Kop would say.

At the back, Carra will have Defoe and Marty will f**king inilate Crouch. As for the wide men, Insua will take Joey Jones' stance on things, put the winger in row z in the first minute and tell him if he tries that again, he'll put him out the ground. And Johnson on the right will sort Modric out no end.

Piss easy.

So come on you Redmen, do all us Kopites proud and start the season the way we intend to carry on. No poncing about, there's nothing to be scared of. You are the best side in this league, we all know that, so go and prove it again. Just remember what we did down there last year, f**king battered them and only the width of the post/bar kept us out.

I'd be tempted to risk Babel on the left if, and only if, they play Naughton at right back. If Babel is this confidence player we all hear about, then he'll have more chance of regaining confidence against an untried youngster like Naughton than a seasoned campaigner like Corluka or Chimbonda. If Stevie is injured, which he isn't, then it's gotta be Yossi in the hole. Nobody else is good enough for that role. Lucas in the middle with Masch, Nando up top terrorising their sh*t defence. And with the f**king clown Gomes in goal, shoot on sight lads.

3 points to kick the season off with. And we'll worry about where we could of improved later.
      Whoa, there hoss, Im not suggesting we go ANYWHERE looking for a draw. What i meant is at the end of the day if we came away with a point its not the end of the world as long as we put in a half decent shift. Of course any win is great, but id like to see a performance.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #258: Aug 16, 2009 10:46:52 am
      Whoa, there hoss, Im not suggesting we go ANYWHERE looking for a draw. What I meant is at the end of the day if we came away with a point its not the end of the world as long as we put in a half decent shift. Of course any win is great, but id like to see a performance.

I'm the opposite mate.

Don't give a sh*t about the performance on the first day. Only interested in the three points.
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #259: Aug 16, 2009 10:48:41 am
      So is Gerrard out for this game then ?
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #260: Aug 16, 2009 10:53:19 am
      I'm the opposite mate.

Don't give a sh*t about the performance on the first day. Only interested in the three points.

3 points is all I want, don't expect a great performance. My fear is that Rafa will be cautious and try to make sure primarily that we don't concede.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #261: Aug 16, 2009 11:01:11 am
      I'm the opposite mate.

Of course mate, you're right if we can get the 3 points great . But some people think this is going to be a stroll for us, hopefully they're right, hopefully we go out there and wipe the floor with them.  But it dont work out that way sometimes, look at the game last year, one of our best away performances of the year , we should have been a few up by H.T, and we came away with nothing.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #262: Aug 16, 2009 11:03:49 am
      So is Gerrard out for this game then ?
      We probably wont know until the teams are named, and hopefully he'll be on the sheet, thats if Rafas planned it to a 'T' ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #263: Aug 16, 2009 12:00:45 pm
      Just had my last meal before the match! :D

For God's sake, have I been missing the matches that much that I think of stuff like that?

Yes, I suppose! :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #264: Aug 16, 2009 12:03:43 pm
      Yep hard to believe its back isnt it. in 4 hours ill be shouting like a lunatic at a big screen in a pub at images of 11 men in red knocking a ball about  :D Love it
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,656 posts | 6949 
      Reply #265: Aug 16, 2009 12:14:20 pm
      I might catch the first 20 minutes or so at the airport.  F***ing SKY moving this game back!

Anyway, for what it's worth, the last time I was stuck on a plane during a reds game was when we beat the Mancs at Anfield in the FA Cup clash a few seasons back. So I hope that's a good luck omen.

Spurs will be determined to show they can take that extra step up.  I just hope that we take the chances that fall our way and get our season off to the perfect start (and after two defeats at WHL last season we need revenge).

Good luck mighty reds.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #266: Aug 16, 2009 12:18:45 pm
      Fooking come on!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #267: Aug 16, 2009 12:26:18 pm
      It's all very convenient for me ...the games starts at 8.30 pm for me on ESPN showing good coverage so I don't need to worry about PL game the CL games are the ones which I can't watch ( they are at 3 am on qweekdays , so I'm not allowed to watch them) .
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #268: Aug 16, 2009 12:31:34 pm
      Can't F***ing wait for this one!!!  Going to the pub after dinner to watch it.  The season didn't start yesterday, it starts at 4pm today. ;)

We'll show them bitters how to play against a team from North London.  I reckon it'll be a close match though with probably one goal in it.  Looking for Reina, Kuyt and Torres to boost my fantasy league team too. ;)
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #269: Aug 16, 2009 12:35:45 pm
      Woo Reina to save my fantasy league!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #270: Aug 16, 2009 12:36:17 pm
      I might catch the first 20 minutes or so at the airport.  F***ing SKY moving this game back!

Anyway, for what it's worth, the last time I was stuck on a plane during a reds game was when we beat the Mancs at Anfield in the FA Cup clash a few seasons back. So I hope that's a good luck omen.

Spurs will be determined to show they can take that extra step up.  I just hope that we take the chances that fall our way and get our season off to the perfect start (and after two defeats at WHL last season we need revenge).

Good luck mighty reds.

Superstitious JD ?I am .Don't know whether to wear me new L/pool shirt today cos God forbid we were to lose I'd have to bin it(cost me £39 sovs. :couch:

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2009 12:40:35 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Quote box ammended. »
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #271: Aug 16, 2009 12:38:35 pm
      Come On You Reds lets win this one and put pre season behind and show everyone what we can do . I don't predict a big score line I see 2-1 or 1-0 to us .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #272: Aug 16, 2009 12:51:37 pm
      Bowl of weetabix, shave, bath, roast dinner and settling down to the mighty Reds tw*t those southern ponces. What a Sunday it's gonna be.

Come on Reds, no pissing about today. Go out, get the game won and get our season up and running.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #273: Aug 16, 2009 12:55:37 pm
      Reminds me, I need a shave too ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #274: Aug 16, 2009 12:56:03 pm
      Did anyone wake up this morning and then instantly remember that the mighty reds start the season today? Great feeling isn't it.

Let's have them off!!!

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #275: Aug 16, 2009 01:00:19 pm
      Did anyone wake up this morning and then instantly remember that the mighty reds start the season today? Great feeling isn't it.

Let's have them off!!!

I did ..I woke up and said ' Yeah ..the reds are playing today '

Quick Reply