Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

What is it about ex Liverpool players?

Read 2227 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      What is it about ex Liverpool players?
      Mar 26, 2007 04:07:57 pm
      All they seem to do is give us stick now. Grobbalar, Hansen, Lawro etc.

If theres one who keeps Liverpool in his heart then its Phil Thompson, his words at half time when we were losing against Milan 3 - 0 when questioned from Richard Keys ‘But just what is Rafa going to be able to say to the players?’ were: You’ve gotta believe!’ ‘If you don’t believe, you may as well pack it in now!’

I want Thompson back at the club, if not then 'Rooney loving Hansen' should make way for Thommo at the BBC
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: What is it about ex Liverpool players?
      Reply #1: Mar 26, 2007 04:29:08 pm
      All they seem to do is give us stick now. Grobbalar, Hansen, Lawro etc.

If theres one who keeps Liverpool in his heart then its Phil Thompson, his words at half time when we were losing against Milan 3 - 0 when questioned from Richard Keys ‘But just what is Rafa going to be able to say to the players?’ were: You’ve gotta believe!’ ‘If you don’t believe, you may as well pack it in now!’

I want Thompson back at the club, if not then 'Rooney loving Hansen' should make way for Thommo at the BBC

Maybe so. But the critics love someone that slate Liverpool. Purely and simply because of our great history. Hansen loves going along with all of these 'wankers'.
      Bruce Grobbalar can go and toss himself over Chelsea like the load of them.
      I love the ex-Reds that are behind us 100%
      For instance we've got the loyal hearts such as: -
      Rush, Aldo, Thommo, Heighway, King Kenny, and many more.
      Those that are trying to fit in with the likes of the BBC crew such as Hansen can go and take a look in their scrap books to refresh their memories.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Mar 26, 2007 04:38:13 pm
      As long as Thommo has learnt from the mistakes he made when he was there with Houllier, and if you've read Robbie Fowler's book for instance you will see he was hardly the winner of any popularity prizes in fact quite the opposite. A lot of ex-players still have a lot of time and love for Liverpool take Souness for example, a man who granted tried to do too much at once when he took over in his rush to make the reds dominant again and also committed career suicide by giving that interview to that paper but still always gives constructive criticism and often still talks about his love for the club.
      The flip side are players like Lawrenson who seem to bend over backwards in there attempts not to praise the team in case they are accused of favouritism, but in Hansen’s case I usually find him a bit more even handed when He's talking about us, if I could get a player back as a coach it would be a player who has had management experience and has a genuine desire and a love for the club, I would give John Aldridge a go.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Mar 26, 2007 05:00:45 pm
      I think a lot of the time Hansen just says it as it is. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism if it's due. Sometimes Lawrenson goes over the top though. Maybe it's something to do with spending too much time with John Motson, who gets over excited at the sight of a beer bellied geordie dropping his pie!
      As for Thommo though, I echo Glenbucks thoughts. I love his passion for Liverpool but he's got a few agendas and he's best staying as a pundit.
      Aldo would be great in some sort of coaching role - I'd absolutely love that! But I'd miss his commentry on Radio City. He does a brilliant job on there and he gives you some laughs as well.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #4: Mar 26, 2007 05:13:52 pm
      As long as Thommo has learnt from the mistakes he made when he was there with Houllier, and if you've read Robbie Fowler's book for instance you will see he was hardly the winner of any popularity prizes in fact quite the opposite. A lot of ex-players still have a lot of time and love for Liverpool take Souness for example, a man who granted tried to do too much at once when he took over in his rush to make the reds dominant again and also committed career suicide by giving that interview to that paper but still always gives constructive criticism and often still talks about his love for the club.
      The flip side are players like Lawrenson who seem to bend over backwards in there attempts not to praise the team in case they are accused of favouritism, but in Hansen’s case I usually find him a bit more even handed when He's talking about us, if I could get a player back as a coach it would be a player who has had management experience and has a genuine desire and a love for the club, I would give John Aldridge a go.

John Alridge was oxfords first :P
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5: Mar 26, 2007 06:43:24 pm
      I like phil neal a lot, don't think i've heard him criticise us before. Hansen tells it as it is, but larwenson just seems to hate us these days probably going senile like motson!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Mar 28, 2007 05:18:24 pm
      John Alridge was oxfords first :P

So?
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 28, 2007 05:41:31 pm
      maybe some of the ex-Liverpool players are just so depressed that they can`t play for this great club anymore, so whenever they`d say something good about it they`d probably get even more depressed, because they`re no longer an active part of the team ;)

Quick Reply