Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Momo Sissoko (new contract signed 28/6/07)

Read 5890 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Momo Sissoko (new contract signed 28/6/07)
      Mar 27, 2007 04:06:01 pm
      14 million, looks unlikly they'll get alonso and they want a midfielder to break the play up. 14 million is a brilliant offer for him, but would you want to sell him for that? and if we are getting rid of a CM then that sounds like a great offer for him.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 05:39:12 pm by mrtommo, Reason: updated title »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Sissoko (barca)
      Reply #1: Mar 29, 2007 01:04:06 pm
      Any source on that at all?

Personally I wouldn't sell him. For all his faults, i.e he can't pass or dribble, we need him when we're playing the big teams. When we are playing quality opposition there's no-one better than Momo at simply stopping the opposition playing. He'll fly round for 90 minutes like a terrier on speed, nicking the ball off the opposition nand generally being an annoyance. So often when Sissoko's playing you'll see teams try to bypass the midfield & play a long ball game. Against good opposition this is exactly what we want.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Mar 29, 2007 02:30:14 pm
      As much as i don't want either Momo or Xabi to go one of them has to. It's football these days as much as you like a player you can't keep him if you don't need him. One of them has to go because it will ruin the balance of our team for next season. I would be sad to see one go but like i said thats what footballs all about.

Maybe Xabi should be favorite to go because Javier has most of his qualities and is 3 years younger than him. Momo is a destroyer of the field and his technique will get much better as he matures.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #3: Mar 30, 2007 05:18:37 pm
      Any source on that at all?

Personally I wouldn't sell him. For all his faults, I.e he can't pass or dribble, we need him when we're playing the big teams. When we are playing quality opposition there's no-one better than Momo at simply stopping the opposition playing. He'll fly round for 90 minutes like a terrier on speed, nicking the ball off the opposition nand generally being an annoyance. So often when Sissoko's playing you'll see teams try to bypass the midfield & play a long ball game. Against good opposition this is exactly what we want.
      Yeah it was on Sky sports so not the most reliable source.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2007 11:43:13 am
      As much as I don't want either Momo or Xabi to go one of them has to. It's football these days as much as you like a player you can't keep him if you don't need him. One of them has to go because it will ruin the balance of our team for next season. I would be sad to see one go but like I said thats what footballs all about.

Maybe Xabi should be favorite to go because Javier has most of his qualities and is 3 years younger than him. Momo is a destroyer of the field and his technique will get much better as he matures.

I'd have to disagree mate, I do still believe there's room for all 4 CM's at the club. I feel Mascherano was brought in possibly to give us the option of a 5 man midfield, with two holding, one attacking in the middle. If not Alves, I expect to see another player come in who can play right wing back, and would expect to see this line up a few times next season:

-----------------------Reina---------------------------

----------Arbeloa----Carragher----Agger------

----Alves----Mascherano--Alonso----Riise/Aurelio----

----------------------Gerrard-------------------------

-------------------Kuyt-----Villa?----------------------
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Re: Momo Sissoko (Barcelona)
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2007 11:01:37 am
      Every player has his price.  We currently look very strong with our central midfielders.  One of them could be used to help add to the funds we vitally need to buy a world class striker and winger.
      MaRk-GoNzAlEz-11
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 05, 2007 01:54:38 pm
      i'd sell sisoko because of javier mascherano has been excellent so far for us so i think he should go for the rite money
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #7: Apr 08, 2007 02:13:48 pm
      I think it would be crazy to alonso go it doesn't how high the bid some players can't be replaced. alonso is the best passer of the ball in the world bar non
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007 02:14:40 pm by camara14 »
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 08, 2007 10:13:34 pm
      id get rid of momo for 14 million its a good offer woodnt get rid of alonso tho
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #9: May 27, 2007 03:02:22 pm
       Mohamed Sissoko has revealed he will have talks about his Liverpool future with manager Rafa Benitez.

The Malian international, who is said to be a summer target for Barcelona, was left out of the Reds' starting XI for the UEFA Champions League final clash with Milan and was far from happy.

22-year-old Sissoko was a regular earlier in the season, but since the arrival for Javier Mascherano - he has struggled to find a place in Benitez's side.

"The manager chooses the team, he thinks the team he picks is the best to in that game. I have to accept that." Sissoko told the Daily Star.

"At the beginning of the season I played a lot, but then I play, not play, play, not play - for for me I am not happy.

"When you are a young player you want to play every game. In every training session I work hard to prove to the manager that I have my place in the team.

"Now I'm 22, and I know I am still a young player, but now I need to progress because playing every game is important to me."

Sissoko, who is under contract at Anfield until 2009, admits he will talk about a new deal - but also insisted that he first wants to talk to Benitez about his future at the club.

"I've two years left on my contract and I'm happy with Liverpool, when you play for this club it's something very special," he said.

"So I need to know my situation, I've know Rafa Benitez since I was 17-years-old and I know he is the perfect manager.

"I know he has confidence in me. I'd like talks to stay longer and we've a meeting arranged with my agent.

"But I need to play football and now after the final I need to know my position."

Looks like he is on his way out,
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: May 27, 2007 03:55:36 pm
      If i had to choose id let Momo go,Alonso is worth keeping.
      amemon
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #11: May 27, 2007 05:03:17 pm
      Alonso can score!! so I think he should stay with team
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: May 27, 2007 09:29:48 pm
      Alonso can score!! so I think he should stay with team

Yes, I definately think we should keep Alonso, as I've mentioned before I don't think there's any need to sell any of our midfielders this summer, but to use his goalscoring ability as a reason to keep him is just ridiculous. He's scored four goals this season and plays as a holding midfielder. There are many good reasons to keep him, but goals definately isn't one of them.
      boblfcec5
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #13: May 27, 2007 09:36:01 pm
      Yes, I definately think we should keep Alonso, as I've mentioned before I don't think there's any need to sell any of our midfielders this summer, but to use his goalscoring ability as a reason to keep him is just ridiculous. He's scored four goals this season and plays as a holding midfielder. There are many good reasons to keep him, but goals definately isn't one of them.

Think they were reffering to the fact he scres more then Sissoko not that he is a vital scorer for us. And i am of the same opinion as you Eddie that we have no reason to get rid of any of our CM as each one i feel has real quality and adds something of quality to our team!!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: May 27, 2007 09:40:24 pm
      Think they were reffering to the fact he scres more then Sissoko not that he is a vital scorer for us. And I am of the same opinion as you Eddie that we have no reason to get rid of any of our CM as each one I feel has real quality and adds something of quality to our team!!

Agreed. If Lucas proves himself over this season then I'd say one CM has to go next summer, but I wanna make sure he settles in before we go selling anyone.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #15: May 28, 2007 09:09:29 am
      Momo may be a terrier in the midfield but lacks any sort of touch.

We should sell him,Mash has the tenacity of Momo but can also tackle and pass.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: May 28, 2007 11:18:02 am
      Momo may be a terrier in the midfield but lacks any sort of touch.

We should sell him,Mash has the tenacity of Momo but can also tackle and pass.

Mascherano plays a different role to Sissoko, he is a holding midfielder, whereas Momo is a ball winner a lot higher up the pitch. If anyone seems like they are going to be the right player to replace Sissoko it would be Lucas, however I don't wanna assume this is the case & get rid of Momo now. If Lucas comes in and proves himself then I would agree Sissoko has to go, but I don't wanna act prematurely & end up with egg on our faces when it doesn't work out. Perhaps we could loeave Momo out of Champions League games until January to keep his value, then make an assessment on Lucas. If he seems to have done well enough then we can sell Sissoko, if not we keep him. As things currently stand we have no-one better at forcing passing teams out of their stride, until we do I feel Momo should stay.
      kipland007
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #17: May 28, 2007 10:16:02 pm
      i'd say let mo go, we already have alonso and mascherano at the holding level.

also as far as gerrard being our new attacking midfielder, i'd have to say i'm skeptical. he wasn't exactly brilliant against ac milan and i'd love to put him back into the center so he can get into the game more and find someone else who can play the attacking midfield role (eventually lucas should be able to, but as for next year im not positive). we already have 2/3 good center mids, i say we sell sissoko and find one that can really attack
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Re: Momo Sissoko (Barcelona) lets keep him............
      Reply #18: May 29, 2007 08:31:32 am
      Eddie c what a quick bit of talented bit on sissoko, totall agree with you.

yes alright if we are to get an offer of 20 mill for sissoko, which is unlikely,,,,,, then let him go. we got him for 6 mill and to be honest he has been worth every penny,,,,,,, i think he can become huge,,,,,,,, if we get an offer for 12 mill plus then still don't sell because as we have seen to get a destructive holding midfielder is going to cost 20 mill plus just look at the Owen Hargreaves at the sh*t down the road.........
      sissoko also works well with a partner with him i.e Alonso, or if we need energy we can play

Gerrard, sissiko, mascherano, ? because we need to have cover for Alonso and we need x2 players for each position,,, lets keep this player.................. ..........
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #19: Jun 01, 2007 09:52:30 am
      I feel like I am going to be kicking myself for asking this question but who is Lucas!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Jun 01, 2007 09:55:44 am
      I feel like I am going to be kicking myself for asking this question but who is Lucas!

20 year old Brazilian central midfielder signed from Gremio, the club that Ronaldinho came from. Varying reports on the role he plays, some say holding midfielder others say attacking midfielder, but by all acounts he can tackle pass & shoot pretty damn well.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Jun 01, 2007 03:13:27 pm
      Hmmmm. Just heard on Radio City news (Liverpools main radio station for those of you who don't know) that he could be off to Juventus for around 10 million. Can't find any links to reports on the web though....
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #22: Jun 01, 2007 04:20:20 pm
      Hmmmm. Just heard on Radio City news (Liverpools main radio station for those of you who don't know) that he could be off to Juventus for around 10 million. Can't find any links to reports on the web though....

Never doubt Radio City 96.7 :D

Ah well, we don't need some idiot that knocked us out of the Champions League anyway...
      Sisowler
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts |
      • . 1977 1978 1981 1984 2005
      Reply #23: Jun 01, 2007 04:34:28 pm

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=469752&CPID=21&clid=14&lid=&title=Juventus+make+Sissoko+move
      They dont say its a done deal or anything like that though. Just that Juve are after putting in a bid.
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #24: Jun 01, 2007 04:41:33 pm
      Eddie c .............. nice team in this post  but no finnan,,,,,,,,,,, you do not select arbeloa over finnan,,,,,,,,,,, bottom line,,,,,,,,,,, don't forget arbeloa started well at barca and at reading both away games and yes he looks good but then went Shiite on us.

Gets pulled out of position but that will improve because i think he could be a snip, we only paid 2,5 mill so we will see..................... ..... i see in ya team villa,,,,,,,,,, so you think we have a chance of getting David villa???????????? ;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #25: Jun 01, 2007 06:48:34 pm
      Eddie c .............. nice team in this post  but no finnan,,,,,,,,,,, you do not select arbeloa over finnan,,,,,,,,,,, bottom line,,,,,,,,,,, don't forget arbeloa started well at barca and at reading both away games and yes he looks good but then went Shiite on us.

Gets pulled out of position but that will improve because I think he could be a snip, we only paid 2,5 mill so we will see..................... ..... I see in ya team villa,,,,,,,,,, so you think we have a chance of getting David villa???????????? ;D

I put Arbeloa in as part of a back three, which would make him a centre back, a position Finnan doesn't play. TBH now that we're being linked with Milito, I would have him in there rather than Arbeloa. The position where Finnan would fit in in that formation is right wing back, but seeing as I've suggested Alves to come I've suggested him instead.

I honestly believe that if someone comes in with a £25m bid for Villa Valencia will be interested, so yes, I do see it as a possibility.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2007 04:15:32 pm

Gets pulled out of position but that will improve because I think he could be a snip, we only paid 2,5 mill so we will see..................... ..... I see in ya team villa,,,,,,,,,, so you think we have a chance of getting David villa???????????? ;D
      can you please stop putting in so many comma's and full stops in every post, it is so annoying!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2007 06:02:07 pm
      i think sissoko should be sold for 12m, we have a lot of quality in the CM department, 3 class players with one very highly rated youngster is enough.  Lets use that with the rest of the incoming budget to strengthen other departs i.e wingers and strikers.   Momo is a good player and will get better but not with us he is going to have limited starts next season, which will drastically drop his valuation.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2007 07:43:32 pm
      I just feel that if we let Momo go it will come back to haunt us. He is young and has had some fantastic performances for us.

Just imagine what its like for other teams to face him...daunting.

We are overloaded and this new kid Lucas will have to get some games so its hard to see him get too many starts.....where ever he goes it will return to bite us in the a*se.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2007 07:51:20 pm
      since the arrival of mascherano by the month his appearances have been lessened. And this will continue into next season.  Momo is not happy and come january or at the end of next season he will want out and his price then can be peanuts.  12m is a good figure if it can be negotiated anything less than 10m should not get a second look. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #30: Jun 09, 2007 12:33:21 pm
      It now looks like Momo is going to be the fifth major contract extension at Anfield.

The new US owners are clearly doing an excellent job at tying their 'assets' down to the club which is to be commended.  It is good to see them rewarding the players who have performed well for us and it is a clear sign of ambition.

Obviously, financial commitments are good for the players, but it is a strong showing of faith in Benitez' new Liverpool. The reds financial 'issues' in the past may have been that they didn't know the expenses from one year to the next.  With players on significant contracts then yearly expenses can be more accurately forecast.

This is a good thing.  Momo is a fine player albeit not having had the best of seasons.  I'm glad he is looking at signing a new contract.
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Re: Momo Sissoko (Barcelona)......please sign on the dotted line
      Reply #31: Jun 09, 2007 01:44:50 pm
      if sissoko signs,, sorry when he signs that fantastic news it really is .

we need all of the current squad who have made good contributions, although he got injured lets give him a break and allot of people seem to forget the work this guy puts in and when he was in midfield having that long run of games we did keep lots of clean sheets, make no mistake people this guy is going to be and is already a top player

he is worth more than we brough him for when you put him alongside the value of someone like s parker for 7 mill for me he is worth every penny at 6 mill when we brought him here,

lets get behind sissoko please can we.............. ;) ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #32: Jun 10, 2007 05:02:21 pm
      if he signs brilliant he will only get better and gives us a different option!
      kwame30
      • Forum John Barnes

• 420 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 12, 2007 06:21:50 pm
      don't sell him he is a great player pls
      Liverpool Fc Biggest Fan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #34: Jun 13, 2007 01:59:04 pm
      He signed a new contract
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #35: Jun 13, 2007 03:58:33 pm

you must be as your name suggests,
      as there is nothing reported in the news of him signing this contract.
      Yes it's rumoured that he will, but please do not post such a comment until it's gospel.
      Maybe you have proof - if so post a link to back it up.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #36: Jun 13, 2007 04:05:55 pm
      I've also read on the bbc and pretty sure lfc.tv that he's signed a new contract
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #37: Jun 13, 2007 04:25:35 pm
      I've also read on the bbc and pretty sure lfc.tv that he's signed a new contract

sorry mate, nothing has been confirmed that he has signed a new contract yet.
      Maybe you've read he's likely to sign, but NO news has been announced of him actually putting pen to paper.
      The same applies to Steve Finnan.
      If you find proof, please post the link.
      lfcmadfan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #38: Jun 26, 2007 09:31:44 pm
      now that we have macherano there is no need for sissoko beside macherano can actually pass for 12million it worth it
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #39: Jun 26, 2007 10:19:42 pm
      now we are keeping xabi and we have Lucas - if they offered 12m i would agree all the way.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #40: Jun 26, 2007 10:21:58 pm
      now we are keeping xabi and we have Lucas - if they offered 12m I would agree all the way.

I would still wait for Lucas to prove himself before selling Sissoko. Remember we also signed another promising 20 year old central midfielder, Jorde Brouwer, and we still haven't seen anything of him yet.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #41: Jun 28, 2007 05:34:20 pm
      Momo Sissoko has become the latest player to pledge his future to the Reds after signing a new four-year deal. 
      The Mali international had been linked with a summer move away from Liverpool but the player himself has denied he ever considered leaving Anfield.

After putting pen to paper on a contract that will keep him at the club until at least 2011 Sissoko told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It was never in my thoughts to leave Liverpool.

"I read about the speculation linking me with other clubs but I am already at a big big club and it's an honour for me to be able to call myself a Liverpool player.

"I feel fresh and can't wait for the new season to start. I am injury-free and although I know I'll face a battle for a place in the team as we have so many great midfielders I'm prepared to fight for a position.

"It obviously gave me a huge boost to my confidence that the manager believes in me and wanted me to stay at the club. Now I want to repay him on the pitch."

So that ends all the speculation of him leaving.
      Good to see that he wants to stay and that we want him to say.
      I, for one, would love to see him regain his best form, and quiet all his forum doubters.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #42: Jun 28, 2007 05:38:50 pm
       :D :D :D Have you seen Rafa's new goatie on the picture of him shaking hands with Momo?! Its on the officail website, bloody pissed myself!
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Re: Momo Sissoko (new contract signed 28/6/07)
      Reply #43: Jun 28, 2007 06:31:42 pm
      it is jokes but i think he looks good!
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #44: Jun 28, 2007 06:40:29 pm
      good news we need as many good players as possible an momo's one of them i didn't like the way people were slating him because of a few bad games to wards the end of last season , momo's one of the reasons we beat barca and has plenty of potential and when he play he gives it 100 %. 
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #45: Jun 28, 2007 09:05:57 pm
      the goatee makes rafa look english, had to look twice
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #46: Jun 28, 2007 09:14:59 pm
      Another very good option in central midfield secured!  We have the strongest central midfield europe lets hope we can match that on the left flank and upfront.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #47: Jun 28, 2007 11:25:48 pm
      Central midfield sorted for the next five years as far as I am concerned now that Momo has joined Xabi and Stevie G in signing long contracts. 

I can officially confirm this transfer speculation thread on Momo Sissoko well and truly locked!

Gerrrinn!

Quick Reply