Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

We'll Live and Die in these Towns v Music for the People

Read 3025 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      We'll Live and Die in these Towns v Music for the People
      Aug 16, 2009 01:35:38 am
      Obviously one for the Enemy fans.

Which album would you consider the best out of the two.

I'm gonna have to go with Music for the People, although We'll Live and Die does have the best two Enemy songs ever (We'll Live and Die in these Towns and This Song) it also contains their worst like 40 Days and 40 Nights or Technodanceaphobic. Whereas Music for the People, does have a couple of poor songs, it is an album I can listen right through quite easily and enjoy it.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: We'll Live and Die in these Towns v Music for the People
      Reply #1: Aug 16, 2009 07:28:35 am
      I didnt know the band but decided to listen a few songs on youtube. The vocals and melody of this one you mentioned as their best (We'll Live...) reminds me a lot of The Jam. I might get their album now.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Aug 16, 2009 01:06:37 pm
      They are the closest thing to the Jam mate in terms of sound, attitude towards life and they are both quality. It's probably why I love the Enemy's music so much because they are so similar to the Jam.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: Aug 17, 2009 07:43:02 pm
      They are the closest thing to the Jam mate in terms of sound, attitude towards life and they are both quality. It's probably why I love the Enemy's music so much because they are so similar to the Jam.

I don't think they'll get near how good the Jam were. My favourite of the two albums is Music For The People too. It got slated pretty badly too by their die hard fans.

Another band that sound a bit like the Jam is Twisted Wheel.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #4: Aug 25, 2009 02:52:18 am
      We'll live and die in these towns was an ok album but  music for the people is awful. That song checkout girl is basically a straight copy of common people by pulp.

Iv seen them live and they were pretty good, cant say im all that into them though, i seen the frontman in heebie jeebies the other week in town. he is weird !
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2009 11:50:08 pm
      The Jam are gods, I saw weller 2 years ago at the tent thingy before they built the arena, little tip, the australian pink floyd rock.
      The who madness and the specials are my other faves.- one of the best mod tunes of all time senses working overtime by xtc, chik id out.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2009 02:03:58 pm
      Stumbled across this today, even though it's from a few months back.

Music For The People Review

by Dom Gourlay

"Keep losing, keep boozing" interjects self-proclaimed 'voice of the people' Tom Clarke, nine-tenths of the way through The Enemy's difficult (on the ears) second album. Disturbingly, this is one of the better moments on Music For The People, an album that the band themselves insisted would make people look at them in a different light, highlight the band as supremely talented musicians and gifted songwriters, and ultimately strike a chord with the 'working classes' Clarke so patronisingly claims to represent whilst denouncing those "posh people who live in castles" he goes out of his way to lambast. Well Tom Clarke, I've got news for you; burying turgid, second-rate Britpop riffs in a halo of pointless strings does not create the second coming of Urban Hymns. And adding unnecessarily dubbed-over handclaps won't turn uninspiring pub rock dirges into stadium anthems either.

Which brings me onto a conversation I had with a fellow writer about this lot recently. Her argument defending Coventry's 'finest' (God help their worst) seemed to consist of little more than "they sell a lot of records so they must be good". That must be courtesy of good old Joe Public then. The same Joe Public who fall over themselves every Christmas to buy such fascinatingly original product as the latest music reality television show winner's single. The same Joe Public who buy into the ridiculous patronage of a racist bully. These are 'The People' Tom Clarke represents. The type who believe that owning a half-inched copy of Moseley Shoals coupled with a Toni & Guy coiffeured Beatles feather-cut gives them the right to purchase guitars, call themselves musicians and form bands. You know the ones I mean; those stuck in some hollow timewarp where Britpop is utopia, and anything else beyond that is the work of Satan. Every single town and city has their own version of The Enemy. The city where I live sadly has many. And yet it all started so brightly. Be honest folks, 2007's 'It's Not OK' and 'Away From Here' are fairly decent guitar-based pop songs. Nothing too ambitious in terms of wheel re-invention, but they did at least suggest maybe the band had some potential if nurtured and developed in the right way. What followed though was a cascade down the slippery slope at a rate of knots even the great Franz Klammer would have been proud of.

Because if To Live And Die In These Towns and its hollow sentiments were hard enough to take, 'Music For The People' doesn't merely scrape the bottom of the barrel, it actually embeds itself in the rim like some scratched carving that's infinitely more Kilroy than Banksy. To say it lacks invention, poise or any kind of definitive structure would be an understatement. To say The Enemy lack an original bone in their admittedly still only just post-pubescent bodies would be a more accurate lineage.

To cut to the chase, everyone has influences, looks to their heroes for inspiration, and there will always therefore be sources or points of reference as a result. What most artists - or at least so called credible ones - would never dream of doing is resorting to near plagiarism of the kind that would possibly see lesser minions (sorry Tom, I mean the 'working classes') end up in the High Court answering writs aplenty. You see, despite Clarke's protestations to the contrary that his band aren't "Britpop revivalists" or "in any way shape or form lad rock", Music For The People is a record so steeped in nostalgia that it should come stamped with the digits '1995' across its front sleeve, backed by a caustic union jack emblem.

The opening semi-instrumental 'Elephant Song' actually sets the record off to a reasonable start. The first two-and-a-half minutes burst into life amidst 'Kashmir'-style Led Zeppelin guitar riffs, only for Clarke to open his mouth during the song's last third and recreate Cast's 'Fine Time' instead. Cast I hear you cry? Yes Cast. And that's not the only time John Power's much-maligned combo get a rewrite here. 'Last Goodbye', a song that is allegedly about suicide, starts off almost identically to the aforementioned's 'Walk Away' before discovering strings and The Verve's 'Sonnet' halfway through. And there's more where they came from. 'Don't Break The Red Tape' apes The Clash and 'London Calling' in every way bar the lyrics - Joe Strummer is probably turning in his grave at the thought of inspiring such trite couplets as "There is no left/there is no right/New Labour is a joke/just another Thatcherite". But that really isn't the worst of it. Brace yourself folks, for 'Nation Of Checkout Girls' basically is Pulp's 'Common People'. No 'borrows from', or 'aspires to'; this is pure imitation of the worst kind, a virtual musical xerox whose only significant difference to Jarvis Cocker and co's masterpiece comes courtesy of such clumsy asides as "If you're lucky you can work the tills" - something Clarke may need to brush up on in the future.

I haven't even got onto the awful 'Sing When You're In Love', a distasteful wannabe stadium anthem about Clarke's favourite subject, "boozers", which covers itself in 'We Will Rock You' style voiceovers and handclaps that do nothing to disguise the fact it's one of the most hideous pieces of music ever committed to tape. Oh, and then there's the insidious ballad 'Be Somebody', where Clarke preaches "There's no such thing as a free meal/there's no future in British Steel/No one ever gives you anything for free/Unless you're sleeping with the BBC" like some poet laureate for people with learning difficulties. How such appallingly constructed lyrics got past the rehearsal room is a source of amazement in itself, let alone approved by the band's record company. The album finishes on 'Silver Spoon', where yes, you guessed it, Clarke makes the point that he's not "one of them posh kids". This then gives way to a piano-led hidden track entitled 'Goodnight Ladies And Gentlemen', which is fairly passable despite being more than a tad similar in structure to The Beatles' 'Let It Be'. Never has reaching the end of a record been met with such a massive sigh of relief.

In all honesty, Music For The People isn't as bad as many of The Enemy's critics had expected it to be, it's actually much, much worse. Despite the so-called grandiose statements of intent such as strings, pianos and soul-trained female backing vocalists, this is simply a case of mutton dressed as lamb and those lambs eventually being slaughtered. It really is difficult to find anything positive to say about it, except that, just maybe, Music For The People will signal the end of the music industry pumping money into third-rate acts stuck in a Britpop timewarp and ring out the final knell for the overdue demise of Ladrock.

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/14308/reviews/4136740

Well Mr Gourlay, that is total bollocks.

Yes a lot of the songs on the Music For The People album have been inspired by other groups, but how many groups aren't inspired by others? Even the Beatles admitted they were heavily influenced by the Everly Brothers as well as the Motown scene. So what if Nation Of Checkout Girls has the same tune of Common People, I remember reading Noel Gallagher using somebody else's tune for one of Oasis' songs. Are you gonna now tell me Oasis aren't great?

As for it trying to be Urban Hymns, the Verve's debut album wasn't great. It had three good songs, the three singles Ashcroft and co released - Lucky Man, Drugs Don't Work and Bittersweet Sympany. Music For The People however has plenty of good songs and songs the "working classes" can relate to. Maybe you don't understand because you're too busy living in your perfect middle class world looking down your nose at people like us to realise the problems that actually exist in this world, especially for the working classes.

You can talk about "Britpop revival" but how can you revive something that never went away. The Britpop scene has never disappeared since it's, so called, inception of the mid 90s. Just because Britpop wasn't at the forefront of music doesn't mean it wasn't there.

So to sum up, the article is sh*t.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Sep 08, 2009 03:29:40 pm
      'Music for the People', if I had to pick, is the better of the two....I quite like The Clash, Verve, Pulp and Cast!   :f_tongueincheek:

Loved this quote, by the way.......

Oh, and then there's the insidious ballad 'Be Somebody', where Clarke preaches "There's no such thing as a free meal/there's no future in British Steel/No one ever gives you anything for free/Unless you're sleeping with the BBC" like some poet laureate for people with learning difficulties.

:lmao:

Quick Reply