Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (58.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.1%)
      Lucas
      (6.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (1.7%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (15.3%)

Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger

Read 37072 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger
      Reply #23: Aug 16, 2009 06:08:40 pm
      Stop kidding ourselves. Tottenham were the better team overall. They bossed the first half and slightly bettered us in the second. We just didn't turn up with only Reina keeping us in the game. Midfield lacks creativity without Xabi Alonso until Yossi Benayoun came on. Glen Johnson did well to get us that penalty.

About the penalty appeals, I know Assou-Ekotto's push on Voronin should have been a penalty but we can't complain. We wouldn't be in this position of complaining and needing the referee to "change the game" for us if we had turned up. Only have ourselves to blame.

Come on lads, you better improve on your game if you want to win number 19 after two decades or we'll end up as the same ol' 'Pool.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #24: Aug 16, 2009 06:08:58 pm
      If we're singling out players - Babel was extremely poor today. Lucas did nothing. Kuyt did nothing, which is unusual for him.

To be honest, practically the whole team was sh*te. Torres also did nothing which was kind of weird.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #25: Aug 16, 2009 06:09:15 pm
      Thats it for me I wont blame the ref, the better team did win. That was the most heartless first half I have seen us produce in years shaky at the back and nothing in the middle. Lucas to his credit did well fough hard and won more tackles then Mascherano but he is now Xabi. We needed someone that was able to hold and control the ball and Lucas and Mascherao were not up to it. Benayoun must start against Stoke he gave us an edge and creativity in attack. All in all very dissapointed but expected poor pre season, no funds from the owners for players  capable of making us champions, and F***ing bollocks inujuries to key players, Agger Riera and Gerrard. The only top team 4 not to register a win and far from convincing alot of work to do between now and Wednesday a big win is needed.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #26: Aug 16, 2009 06:09:25 pm
      I don't really see the point in moaning about the penalty. Yeah, I thought it was a penalty too and I was mighty disappointed to see it not given but the luck will balance out over the season so you might as well get on with it.
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #27: Aug 16, 2009 06:09:44 pm

Points are going to be dropped in the duration of the season though, I just hope those are some of the few. Also didn't Ushited have a crap start to last season before winning the title?

I wish we didnt have to resort to rationalising our bad start by using the scum.

Mist the first half were we that bad ?

yeah g we were
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #28: Aug 16, 2009 06:09:51 pm
      A bit pissed off with that. To be honest I had my doubts before the game, but afterwards, I feel we were a little hard done by.

Shame we only went for the throat at the end,

The Ref was awful, really awful, shocked he never booked Carra, and Sktel for time wasting in the first half, tosser.

A lot of injuries today as well, the treatment table will need a rota tomorrow.
      Torres should go to Inter, as he is gong to be Black and Blue tomorrow. I think todays game shows we really need another 100% center forward.
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #29: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:13 pm
      Bad Points:
      1. The Ref had a poor match, but however poor the ref is - he can not be blamed for our inept "performance".
      2. Babel is F***ing sh*t. Sell him, cut our loses and bring in Silva - FFS.
      3. I thought Torres looked like he couldn't be arsed out there today.
      4. When Tottenham went ahead - there was no urgency to get back into the game and when we found it, it was too late to change the deficit and get something from the match.
      5. Lucas. People may not agree, but this Kid is not the solution to our problems.

Good Points:
      1. Benayoun. When he came on, he changed the game - completely. He ran at defenders and changed the way we went about attacking.
      2. Gerrards off the mark already. 1 to his name.

Anyone else think Gerrard didn't look 100% fit? He looked like he was struggling today. Couldn't get involved at all.

I maybe on my own here; but get rid of Lucas and Babel and bring in Silva and somebody who is actually half decent FFS.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:22 pm
      Whoever doubts Pepe is a loon. He was the reason we were in it by the time we scored. Fantastic display.

Torres, how F***ing useless was he? We slate Babel, and rightly so after today, but Ryan was one iota worse than Torres. Both were woeful in ball retention, distribution and general play.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #31: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:33 pm
      ffs. is he, one of england's  int.refs?
       But seeing all the game we were beaten for the sh*t first half we played
         we knew this was a tough game , the hardest the top teams had , and away, so we can make for it in midweek ,but with Yossi starting , he changed  the course of the game and would easily got a draw (apart from the f*cking 2 penalties the c*nt said he did not see)
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:44 pm
      Penalties penalties penalties..every year is the same f**** story! Really frustrating, saying that we shouldn't need these to beat the spurs. Piss poor first half and I hope RAFA received the message loud and clear from Yossi!!
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #33: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:45 pm
      Dowd's refereeing should be called in to question.Absolutley sh*te at his job.Evident for all to see.The feeling of defeat is bad,but the feeling of being robbed is 10 fold :f_steam: Although the first half performance was absolutley pathetic.We would of been 3 down if it wer'nt for Pepe's brilliance,or Keanes sh*t finishing.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #34: Aug 16, 2009 06:10:58 pm
      We were awful. We have nothing to offer offensively in central midfield, Benyaoun was awesome when he came on, why the F**k did Rafa start Babel? He was F***ing useless, he spent more time in the middle than he did on the left, and if the best we have to offer off the bench is Voronin then we are fu**ed! As well as Lucas played, we need a defence splitting midfielder to open opposition up. I fear that by the time Aquilani is fit we could be chasing the pack. The Yanks are choking the life out of this club, weakening us with every week that passes. I know i'm angry at the moment, but i am genuinely fearing for the future of this club.

Are we missing Alonso already? Too F***ing right we are.  :f_steam:
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #35: Aug 16, 2009 06:11:03 pm
      If we had started Benayoun I can guarantee we would have at least drawn, why doesn't he start? He creates everything!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #36: Aug 16, 2009 06:11:12 pm
      It was a poor performance from top to bottom, well maybe not for Pepe has if it wasn't for him it would of been 5-1 for Spurs who I also thought deserve to win the game on the whole. Tactics were wrong from the start, Rafa seem to forget how the whole seize mentality worked for us last season. We went out to defend and not push their attack and got what we deserved imo.

Only good thing now if there is a quick turnaround to the next game where I hope we don't see a repeat of last season
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #37: Aug 16, 2009 06:11:18 pm
      What. The. F**k!

A poor start to the new season, this game has convinced me that Babel is not up for it again. I know people are saying that we shouldn't juts blame Babel as the whole team wasn't performing instead. However, Babel was the one that always didn't get things going on the left wing, there was a significant improvement in movement and passing, fluidity.

The Spurs defence was watertight, credit to them we couldn't break them down. It was a very difficult game and with the chances that we were creating, I think we deserved to lose this.

However in the second half we have seen an intent of attacking, an intent to win the game. We started the game poorly, not concentrating and the collision between Carra and Skrtel not helping matters at all.

This intent can only show the signs that would we would bring for the season. Whoever is writing us off after a difficult start should be shot. This was a tough game, away game and I'm sure all the big four teams that come here will experience problems as well.

No doubt we are going to go from strength to strength this season, this result is only going to spur the team onto greater heights.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #38: Aug 16, 2009 06:11:37 pm
      man of the match goes to sammy lee
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #39: Aug 16, 2009 06:11:43 pm
      Come on Aquilani speed up the recovery, we've shown we need you!
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #40: Aug 16, 2009 06:12:22 pm
      12th on the table. We look so out of place there.
      If we keep playing like we did then I think we better get used to us sitting 12th in the table, awful performance.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #41: Aug 16, 2009 06:12:32 pm
      Fernando Torres didn't have a great game. Danced in the first half and IMO also lost the ball alot.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #42: Aug 16, 2009 06:12:50 pm
      Bad Points:
      1. The Ref had a poor match, but however poor the ref is - he can not be blamed for our inept "performance".
      2. Babel is F***ing sh*t. Sell him, cut our loses and bring in Silva - FFS.
      3. I thought Torres looked like he couldn't be arsed out there today.
      4. When Tottenham went ahead - there was no urgency to get back into the game and when we found it, it was too late to change the deficit and get something from the match.
      5. Lucas. People may not agree, but this Kid is not the solution to our problems.

Good Points:
      1. Benayoun. When he came on, he changed the game - completely. He ran at defenders and changed the way we went about attacking.
      2. Gerrards off the mark already. 1 to his name.

Anyone else think Gerrard didn't look 100% fit? He looked like he was struggling today. Couldn't get involved at all.

I maybe on my own here; but get rid of Lucas and Babel and bring in Silva and somebody who is actually half decent FFS.
      Damn right I wouldn't agree he was one of our better players today.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #43: Aug 16, 2009 06:13:18 pm
      Poor. Very very poor.

The only decent, competent displays were from Reina and Johnson.

Reina could do nothing at all about the goals and made some fine saves most notably from Keane and Johnson was great in attack seemingly being the only player in a red shirt capable of delivering a good cross and his defending was good also.

Where was our inventiveness? Where was our width? And above all that where the F**k was our drive and will to win?!

I'm not going into full on panic mode just yet as it's only the first game but we need to improve and do it fast.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #44: Aug 16, 2009 06:13:25 pm
      To be honest, practically the whole team was sh*te. Torres also did nothing which was kind of weird.

Gerrard did nothing either until his penalty. I don't think he was involved at all.

It's gonna be a long season for us. Some players aren't ready, or never will be, no movement among players in the final third until Benny came on, no idea what so ever from Rafa's team. It is the same old Liverpool we know bar Johnson's and Benny's contributions.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #45: Aug 16, 2009 06:13:40 pm
      absolute joke.... the ref lost it for us, we should have won it 3-2 if it wasnt for that ref........ disgraceful, he should be written off.

Quick Reply