Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (58.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.1%)
      Lucas
      (6.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (1.7%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (15.3%)

Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger

Read 37548 times
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger
      Reply #253: Aug 16, 2009 10:23:00 pm
      I voted Yossi as my man of the match up there ^ Because he brought to the team what it was crying out for. Yossi is an example of a small fish in a big pond that grew into a big fish who can hold his own in a big pond. More starts for Yossi are the order of the day after a lively, driving performance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,177 posts | 3390 
      Reply #254: Aug 16, 2009 10:23:10 pm
      I've calmed down a bit now. So I'll try and give a more honest opinion.

Truth is Spurs stopped our star players from playing. They man marked Gerrard and Torres out the game and no matter what anybody says, they are our match winners. Without them, we're lost on ideas and today proved it. They stopped the front two which in turn stopped the rest of the team.

They won the midfield battle with ease. It wasn't even difficult for them. Lennon, Huddlestone, Palacios and Modric dominated Babel, Lucas, Masch, Dirk from the word go. The two Dutch lads out wide were simply not good enough at all today and had Kuyt not had the season he did last year, he'd probably be coming in for a lot more stick that he has. As for Babel, I just don't wanna see him in a Liverpool shirt anymore because it's depressing me. On Kuyt though, he just slowed everything down, when the quick pass was on he'd take six extra touches then pass it to somebody who had three players up their arse.

At the back, we started alright. Insua and Skrtel looked sound at the back, then Carra decided to go and headbutt Marty for a ball he had no right going for. From there on in we never looked right. Gaps started appearing, Insua would be up there for man of the match for his defending, he did well keeping Lennon quiet for most of the game, despite no help from Babel.

I thought Rafa got it totally wrong today. We could see nothing was happening in midfield so it should have been changed at half time, at least one change. It got so bad I was calling for Dossena to come on down the left wing. If he wanted to stick with 4-2-3-1 formation, he could of thrown Spearing on to see if he showed any more intent or bring Yossi on earlier. The tactics weren't working at all, Spurs dominated us.

Only when Benayoun came on, albeit too late, did we look slightly dangerous. There were a few occasions where the Israeli took one too many touches, but did look threatening when he came on. But the subs came too late in this one. The midfield needing changing at half time, to wait even longer was wrong. I'm not saying that cost us, but it didn't help.

Reina was fantastic and, despite good performances from Insua and Yossi, is the only player who deserves any real credit. Without him, it could easily of been 4 or 5 for Spurs.
      steviejoe
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #255: Aug 16, 2009 10:24:16 pm
      ok so lucas is seen as a sh*te squad player then?

What a great thought!

BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #256: Aug 16, 2009 10:25:27 pm
      Some good points there DLS.

I'd forgotten also that Insua had a good solid game and our back 4 did look quite solid.

Palacios was the key man for Spurs today, just a far superior midfield and King did a good job on Nando. The tw*t.

I also think Stevie is still feeling discomfort in his groin as he was nowhere near as lively as he usually is.

steviejoe
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts |
      Reply #257: Aug 16, 2009 10:26:47 pm
      I've calmed down a bit now. So I'll try and give a more honest opinion.

Truth is Spurs stopped our star players from playing. They man marked Gerrard and Torres out the game and no matter what anybody says, they are our match winners. Without them, we're lost on ideas and today proved it. They stopped the front two which in turn stopped the rest of the team.

They won the midfield battle with ease. It wasn't even difficult for them. Lennon, Huddlestone, Palacios and Modric dominated Babel, Lucas, Masch, Dirk from the word go. The two Dutch lads out wide were simply not good enough at all today and had Kuyt not had the season he did last year, he'd probably be coming in for a lot more stick that he has. As for Babel, I just don't wanna see him in a Liverpool shirt anymore because it's depressing me. On Kuyt though, he just slowed everything down, when the quick pass was on he'd take six extra touches then pass it to somebody who had three players up their arse.

At the back, we started alright. Insua and Skrtel looked sound at the back, then Carra decided to go and headbutt Marty for a ball he had no right going for. From there on in we never looked right. Gaps started appearing, Insua would be up there for man of the match for his defending, he did well keeping Lennon quiet for most of the game, despite no help from Babel.

I thought Rafa got it totally wrong today. We could see nothing was happening in midfield so it should have been changed at half time, at least one change. It got so bad I was calling for Dossena to come on down the left wing. If he wanted to stick with 4-2-3-1 formation, he could of thrown Spearing on to see if he showed any more intent or bring Yossi on earlier. The tactics weren't working at all, Spurs dominated us.

Only when Benayoun came on, albeit too late, did we look slightly dangerous. There were a few occasions where the Israeli took one too many touches, but did look threatening when he came on. But the subs came too late in this one. The midfield needing changing at half time, to wait even longer was wrong. I'm not saying that cost us, but it didn't help.

Reina was fantastic and, despite good performances from Insua and Yossi, is the only player who deserves any real credit. Without him, it could easily of been 4 or 5 for Spurs.

I agree with all that especially the part about Babel!

Spurs had our number today!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,352 posts | 4968 
      Reply #258: Aug 16, 2009 10:27:44 pm
                                     But the subs came too late in this one. The midfield needing changing at half time, to wait even longer was wrong. I'm not saying that cost us, but it didn't help.

Agree with this point DLS.

One thing I don't understand about Rafa is his insistance on only making substitutions after the 60 min mark. Sometimes it is clear at half time that something isn't working so why not change then to give you the most time to benefit from it.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #259: Aug 16, 2009 10:30:15 pm
      I've managed to calm down now, but i am still angry. The fact of the matter is we are missing Alonso. There was no service to Gerrard and Torres, irrespective of the fact they were not looking sharp. I feel like crying.  :f_wah:

We need Aquilani fit as soon as possible and we desperately need David Silva. I know it's early days but things are looking grim.

Have we strengthened? Do we look stronger? I feel so sorry for Rafa if these Yank tossers don't give him any more money for at least one signing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #260: Aug 16, 2009 10:31:51 pm
      Some good points Dls strange though the only player you didn't mention is Johnson our new signing on show, he had a fine game today but then again I know your thoughts on him. I know what you thought of him when he was a Porstmouth player and I know now. Eventually you'll realise your wrong in him and you'll swallow your pride and admit he is a good player I'd say it will be around January.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #261: Aug 16, 2009 10:32:17 pm
      Just got home and i am going to post,Yossi Yossi Yossi.Best player by far.I love the guy.
      Babel has to go,although he looks strong enough for the epl he is not,
      Although i am very depressed about this result i would rather know now about the deadwood
      Still optimistic about the league title,remember we always used to start slow when we won them.
      Americans bring us SILVA.YNWA.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #262: Aug 16, 2009 10:35:26 pm
      Sorry we started slowly wining league titles not epls's.
      LiverpoolEntourage
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #263: Aug 16, 2009 10:35:38 pm
      disappointing performance from our team today. I agree with people who say Babel shouldn't start. He is the supersub and always will be no matter what his manager might say. If he wants to be at Liverpool, he will be on the bench for his playing career. Can we please get someone like Kristian Nemeth into that team to give some of other players like Torres a chance instead of being swamped. We need another goal scoring option. Can't just be Torres.

Ngog, Voronin, etc etc none can score. Tottenham are not sh*te & have been our bogey team even last season. We played far from well and they probably played to their best so we can take some positives. Just have to improve for the next game. ie get Nemeth on the bench. Get benayoun a starting spot etc. Improve our defensive vulnerabilities in set plays. Particularly man marking. We can not be caught in no mans land constantly.

Buying David Silva should also be a definite consideration ASAP
      markrhall
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #264: Aug 16, 2009 10:39:07 pm
       :f_steam:

Having watched the match, I am getting really frustrated seeing the same old story. We are lacking strength and depth. Why? When Zig and Zag ( Hicks and Gillette ) took over did they or did they not say they would sign anyone the gaffer wanted, there was money a plenty and it was a new era in the Anfield archives? What utter crap!!! Where is the money now? Why haven't we signed the players we so desperately need? Why don't they go after Silva, Villa, Huntelaar or Van Der Vaart? They are turning us into a joke. We will absolutely zero while they are at the helm.

This afternoon was a joke, we looked lack lustre and devoid of ideas. Torres, who i think is the new messiah, looked still in bed. Babel, moans about not playing, gets a chance and does nothing. Gerrard, who is the mercurial genius sent from heaven above, only started playing in the second half. At the back Carragher and Skrtel looked like punch and judy. Do we not want to win the league, shove it up the mancs rear and show them who are the real kings of England?

Pre-Season. Why play every Tom, Dick and Harry? Where have the days gone when you had to earn the right to put on a red shirt, make them stake a claim to put the shirt on, I mean the younger players, Pachecco, Nemeth etc... will they really feature this year in the league? Me I think not so get your starting eleven sharp and raring to go.

Finally I know it is the first game and it is a marathon not a sprint but today does not fill me with hope. Long live the liver bird.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #265: Aug 16, 2009 10:39:59 pm
      Just got home and I am going to post,Yossi Yossi Yossi.Best player by far.I love the guy.
      Babel has to go,although he looks strong enough for the epl he is not,
      Although I am very depressed about this result I would rather know now about the deadwood
      Still optimistic about the league title,remember we always used to start slow when we won them.
      Americans bring us SILVA.YNWA.

Good post mate. Totally agree with you on Yossi, i love him. You can tell by the way he plays that he loves the club. I've stuck up for Babel in the past, today he looked like he couldn't give a F**k. Not exactly the kind of performance you'd expect from someone begging to stay and be given more chances. Yossi is so creative, and he has good confidence, Babel has lost all of his. Benyaoun must start against Stoke.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #266: Aug 16, 2009 10:55:21 pm
      Cheers,i had hi hope's for Ryan at the start but he just hasn't delivered.I will always remember him for the goal against the scumbag's.
      I would like to think he could do well in the Spanish league.But i really dont care,Yossi should have started.I could see what Rafa was thinking,chuck Babel on and let him  do the talking.Not good enough. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,177 posts | 3390 
      Reply #267: Aug 16, 2009 11:02:14 pm
      Some good points Dls strange though the only player you didn't mention is Johnson our new signing on show, he had a fine game today but then again I know your thoughts on him. I know what you thought of him when he was a Porstmouth player and I know now. Eventually you'll realise your wrong in him and you'll swallow your pride and admit he is a good player I'd say it will be around January.

I'll never have to swallow me pride though mate. As I've always said Johnson is great going forward, poor defensively. For me that what he was today, without his run we wouldn't have scored, if he'd picked up his man they wouldn't have scored their second.

Johnson had a typical Glen Johnson game. And I don't think a typical Glen Johnson is good enough to be bought for 17 million. Half that and I'd be over the moon, but at 17 million it's too expensive.

Only time will tell though and if he works on his defending, who knows, I might even consider posting you, of all people, were right :laugh:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #268: Aug 16, 2009 11:08:05 pm
      Big deal one match!

When did he play one other match winning performance?

He's been sh*te from day one and its about time yas all opened your eyes instead of having the liverpool specs on yas

It's about time you removed your oversized avatar like I asked you to days ago.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #269: Aug 16, 2009 11:09:59 pm
      I'll save that post I expect it around January :)
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #270: Aug 16, 2009 11:11:01 pm
      F**k man. I'm so sad now. And I'm writing a maths test in school tomorrow! If i fail I'll blame this!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #271: Aug 16, 2009 11:12:01 pm
      Roll on Wednesday.

We need to get this awful display out of our system.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #272: Aug 16, 2009 11:13:49 pm
      Anyone going to start a pre game thread for the Stoke game ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #273: Aug 16, 2009 11:26:30 pm
      Pepe was our man of the match. MOTD pundits were actually spot on, Torres was tired as hell. Babel should never be playing ahead of Benny. Lucas was another plus as was Johnson. But that's not good enough, at the end of the day we could have been given an easier start, funny how United got that one isn't it
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #274: Aug 16, 2009 11:27:47 pm
      Anyone going to start a pre game thread for the Stoke game ?

Done. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #275: Aug 16, 2009 11:35:04 pm
      Not seen the full game yet but seen enough.

Carragher and Skrtel forgotten to talk to each other? That incident where they clashed heads was abysmal. Embarrassing.  Kuyt didn't seem to have been at his best, and Babel plain and simple isn't good enough. When all you've got to throw on to try and win a game is someone like Voronin then you know the squad doesn't have sufficient depth.

People pointing the finger at Lucas, although it baffles me why - Torres and Gerrard were both exceptionally poor.  If you're going to play with one man up front and he has a stinker then you're in for it - especially if you haven't got good enough quality to replace him.

I expect Benitez to go out and buy another striker in the next fortnight and a winger who can prevent us putting up with Babel on the wing.

Obviously early days but Liverpool have already created a bit of pressure for themselves and Stoke are no mugs either.  Wednesday's game could see some fireworks.

Quick Reply