Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (58.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.1%)
      Lucas
      (6.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (1.7%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (15.3%)

Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger

Read 37075 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger
      Reply #322: Aug 17, 2009 10:33:46 am
      Yeah but they carved out a win with their makeshift team where we couldn't.

Against Birmingham - a newly promoted side.

If they'd played Spurs they would've lost too.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #323: Aug 17, 2009 10:53:52 am
      I think you have to take the result in context, Spurs had the best home record under Redknapp in the league last season, and they played some brilliant football yesterday which most sides would of struggled to get a result against.

The disappointing thing is the manner in which we lost, last season we battered them and came away with nothing, yesterday we looked second best all over the park and came away with nothing.

Bring on Stoke Wednesday, lets batter them and get back on track there is still 37 games left to play.
      haydzrox
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • Justice for the 96
      Reply #324: Aug 17, 2009 11:16:21 am
      I have to admit i didnt watch the match as it was at 1 am down under but i saw the highlights of the match and the only highlights of liverpool were the penelty, voronin being bought down and torres handball shout.
      All the rest were spurs going crazy and dominating
      Keane should have finished all those chances
      Reina played a blinder
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #325: Aug 17, 2009 11:39:10 am
      Everyone has covered the important points. We were sluggish, disinterested, nervous and seemed more concerned about not losing. Hopefully we get this out of our systems and Rafa gave them a right royal B#llocking afterwards. This is not preseason guys this is the real deal...get your act together.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #326: Aug 17, 2009 11:44:06 am
      Like i said yesyerday, we were like F***ing strangers on that pitch, no movement and for more than half the game no passion. Until Benayoun came on we were sterile[apart from johnos run for the pen]. Carra and Skirtl were obviously a bit off coz of the head banging, did you notice they nearly did it a bit later as well, which shows they were a bit unsure of themselves because theyre two that know what theyre doing. No panic though, but we cant let too much ground slip away between us and the top. Rafas got some work to do, but for me Yossis got to start, let Masch sit, and let Stevie roam, thats if hes fit ,and yesterday like Torres i suspect he wasn't. Come on reds ive had a tw*t of a week and need something to make me happy!
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #327: Aug 17, 2009 11:51:39 am
      Come on look at the positive side. Its better to loose one game and get your winning form back, rather than constantly drawing games. Relax reds, its just the first game.
      P.s Johnson did not make any defensive errors.
      roadrunner
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #328: Aug 17, 2009 11:55:24 am
      Must improve! Must improve! Must improve!

D-

Looks like an old school report card!

Already playing catch up with half the league.
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #329: Aug 17, 2009 11:59:21 am
      37 games still left. No team on this planet can win all of those 37 games. Other teams will make mistakes and we will catch them like predators.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #330: Aug 17, 2009 12:15:37 pm
      When Pepe gets man of the match it tells a story-and the fact is the scoreline would have been horrific if it were not for the best goalkeeper on the planet. The early injury didn't help and both Carra and Skrtel were both unsettled but after saying that the lack of passion and urgency was blindingly obvious and on the day I think even the manager was resigned to our fate.
      The comments about the "referee" and I use the term very loosely, were entirely correct but we never get the decisions and should not expect any help from the fuckers after saying that a correct judgement occasionally would not be out of place.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #331: Aug 17, 2009 12:42:01 pm
      37 games to catch up 3 points. Doesn't seem too hard.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #332: Aug 17, 2009 12:44:23 pm
      The penalty incident was a weird one. I thought it looked like he had just ran into him. But then is that just because I'm biased??
      You can see how someone could argue that Ekotto just went shoulder to shoulder with voronin and was stronger than him. I'm never sure about those shoulder barges. The rule seems to be: your allowed to go shoulder to shoulder as much as you like as long as the other guy doesn't go down, if he does then there's controversy. As far as I know there isn't any rule about them playing the ball???
      I think the Lucas one against Athletico with Dowd again I believe, was slightly more clear cut, because the defender stepped across him aswell as barging him.
      Anyway definitely needs clarifying

Off topic I know but I don't know where else to put it:
      Another big gripe of mine is shielding. There seems to be no rule whatsoever in how much you can obstruct another player. I really think it needs getting rid of. If your not playing the ball, then get out of the way. I know defenders would hate it, but it would make the game much more interesting if a defender had to deal with a ball going dead very slowly rather than just shielding it out.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #333: Aug 17, 2009 12:46:17 pm
      37 games to catch up 3 points. Doesn't seem too hard.

Yeah, but there's a lot of frustration because United ground out a typical, shitty 1-0, and Chelsea dug deep and scored a late (jammy) winner against Hull.

We could easily be only 1 point behind them (discounting Arsenal for now, though you never know).

We need to prove a point to ourselves as much as our rivals against Stoke. After a poor pre-season maybe this could be the right kick up the backside the players needed to find a bit of form?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #334: Aug 17, 2009 12:51:21 pm
      The penalty incident was a weird one. I thought it looked like he had just ran into him. But then is that just because I'm biased??
      You can see how someone could argue that Ekotto just went shoulder to shoulder with voronin and was stronger than him. I'm never sure about those shoulder barges.

I didn't want to talk too much about this appeal because I felt we'd already lost the game before that, and shouldn't dwell on it.

However, looking at it again, I felt we had a clear shout. The two players weren't fighting for possession of the ball, Ekotto ran directly into Voronin at full speed, I didn't think he was playing the ball at all, he was clearly taking Voronin out.

I think the referee just didn't want to give another penalty after the first, and didn't judge the incident as an individual action.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #335: Aug 17, 2009 12:56:35 pm
      Definite
      I didn't want to talk too much about this appeal because I felt we'd already lost the game before that, and shouldn't dwell on it.

However, looking at it again, I felt we had a clear shout. The two players weren't fighting for possession of the ball, Ekotto ran directly into Voronin at full speed, I didn't think he was playing the ball at all, he was clearly taking Voronin out.

I think the referee just didn't want to give another penalty after the first, and didn't judge the incident as an individual action.

It was a penalty IMO. Voronin would have made contact with the ball had he not be shoved over. Therefore the goalscoring oppurtunity was prevented, Assou-Ekotto was not looking to play the ball.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #336: Aug 17, 2009 12:59:06 pm
      we picked quite a few cards up yesterday, i thought we were going to lose a couple of players at one time especially Masch and Skrtel.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #337: Aug 17, 2009 02:07:26 pm
      Made me laugh how Harry Redknapp was so biased over the penalty shout by saying 'it was just a shoulder barge off the ball, it wasn't a penalty, Voronin wasn't getting the ball'. That's complete bullshit, he had no intention of touching the ball, it was going straight to Voronin, and he came running across full speed and smacked into him. If that's not a penalty I don't know what is.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #338: Aug 17, 2009 02:09:41 pm
      Made me laugh how Harry Redknapp was so biased over the penalty shout by saying 'it was just a shoulder barge off the ball, it wasn't a penalty, Voronin wasn't getting the ball'. That's complete bullshit, he had no intention of touching the ball, it was going straight to Voronin, and he came running across full speed and smacked into him. If that's not a penalty I don't know what is.

yeah he made no attempt to get the ball at all. His sole target was Voronin.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #339: Aug 17, 2009 02:21:29 pm
      Well, we wouldn't be dwelling on penalties we didn't get or complaining about the crap referee if everyone had turned up for the game. We just didn't play well enough to win. IMO, We only got ourselves to blame.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #340: Aug 17, 2009 02:38:23 pm
      What is still annoying is we are still talking about the lack of a alternative plan if we get stiffled in midfield and we havent got one so what have we been doing all pre season. The side looks exactly like it did last year except we have exchanged Xabi for Lucas and  Johnson for Arbeloa so it is probably weaker. We came close last year but needed something else and we havent added anyone to the team who can do it that for us so its going to be frustrating this year again and hope that our front two keep fit.
      OptimusRobbo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Appauling 1st game!.
      Reply #341: Aug 17, 2009 02:43:45 pm
      Am i the only one angered by sundays performance? get rid of Voronin, Babel & Zonal Marking!.

Our lack of energy and determination most noticable in Torres it seemed like he just didnt want to play! which was a suprise to me, Voronin & Babel are both as bad as each other! Benitez lands a phat elbow drop in the form of a question mark on my head on why both of these are still at the club! Zonal marking? WHY?!...it cost us 3 points in one game this season and countless other things in previous seasons!.

Voronin will never develop into the striker we need so why is he still at the club? i know we dont have a lot of money but seriously? it wouldnt cost much to replace him!.

Its been what 3 seasons now? (correct me if im wrong) and Babel is still useless! you could see that he dont have the confidence to beat players and last season he showed to us all that hes a expert at missing simple tap ins.

I can see this being a long and frustrating season once again ending without a trophy.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Appauling 1st game!.
      Reply #342: Aug 17, 2009 02:45:00 pm
      It's just one game we'll bounce back.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #343: Aug 17, 2009 03:05:44 pm
      Someone was mad because he thought Bassong should be suspended for 2 games of his suspension during the last game for Newcastle. I qoute

"He was banned for 2 games for been sent off on the last day of last season. I know Newcastle played on the Saturday and that should have been his second game, but he would have had to sign for spurs prior to 5 o'clock on the Friday thus not been able to play for Newcastle anyhow. My point is that he should have had to serve his 2nd game whilst at Spurs."
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #344: Aug 17, 2009 03:08:37 pm
      we picked quite a few cards up yesterday, I thought we were going to lose a couple of players at one time especially Masch and Skrtel.

Masch at one point was very lucky not to see the second yellow, he got a stern talking from the official

Quick Reply